{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Mellis fined and apologises

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Mellis fined and apologises

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:22 pm

adamstag wrote:It was nice that he apologised to the fans with being absolutely awful, excellent.

I thought he was better than Tomlinson who was pretty anonymous - again. Mellis is the only one in midfielder who tries to get the ball down and play, he had a couple of dud shots but he was far from awful.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:25 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
adamstag wrote:It was nice that he apologised to the fans with being absolutely awful, excellent.

I thought he was better than Tomlinson who was pretty anonymous - again. Mellis is the only one in midfielder who tries to get the ball down and play, he had a couple of dud shots but he was far from awful.

In fairness I’d say the midfield were all pretty poor, it just passes them all by - no “controller” in there.

Hopefully for mellis it draws a line on the sand and hopefully he can start putting a few shifts in
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:26 pm

Mellis pick of midfield today against Stevenage.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:58 pm

oldweststander wrote:Mellis pick of midfield today against Stevenage.

That doesn’t say much then, OWS, because to me he looked like he couldn’t be arsed.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:06 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
london amber stag wrote:The hang em' and flog em' brigade of Stags supporters should have kept quiet until the facts were established but they just couldn't help themselves.
This is good news in a pretty awful week for the Stags, now let's get 3 points on the board today.

Exactly. There’s a fair few on here and Facebook that owe him an apology. Yes he shouldn’t have Beeb out and he’s punished for that but those accusing him of violence without waiting for evidence should apologise. But they won’t.

too right bud. they'd have been good witch burners in medieval times
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:49 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
oldweststander wrote:Mellis pick of midfield today against Stevenage.

That doesn’t say much then, OWS, because to me he looked like he couldn’t be arsed.

Yep didn’t aimlessly run around and hoof it enough for my liking.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:00 pm

Being as we had a depleted side and Mellis having missed three games I thought he did ok. He made the best two passes of the game and can be a quality player when other players make the runs he will find them. We do need a Murray type midfielder though to give us some steel.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:02 pm

He’s taken his punishment. He’s been out for three games. Think it’s time to get behind him.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:19 pm

There's about as much chance that apology was written by him personally, than there was of us sticking one in the onion bag today.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:40 pm

bellwhiff wrote:He’s taken his punishment. He’s been out for three games. Think it’s time to get behind him.

Happy to get behind him bud, time for him to start producing - he’s largely flattered to deceive in his time here unfortunately.

I’d have more respect for him if he were a grafter than a show pony
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:16 pm

I think it's the right outcome for Mellis.

I hope he's learned a lesson through this, and he now gets his head down and becomes the player he can be.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:57 am

adamstag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:He’s taken his punishment. He’s been out for three games. Think it’s time to get behind him.

Happy to get behind him bud, time for him to start producing - he’s largely flattered to deceive in his time here unfortunately.

I’d have more respect for him if he were a grafter than a show pony

Really? He's been brilliant for us in the last year. He started slowly before that, but was so so important to us last season. He's the only one who can consistently get hold of the ball in midfield and pick a proper pass instead of just humping it hopefully forward.

Players like Mellis dictate the tempo of a game by taking their time and not panicking. We have desperately missed him.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:07 am

I’m a big fan of Mellis. He’s a footballer
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:12 pm

Mellis was back from suspension. Don't forget he wasn't allowed to train while the club suspended him for the fracas. He's basically not played for the last 3 weeks and not trained much, if at all, for the last week. Then gets played in midfield for 90 minutes in 28 degree sunshine. He did fine for me.

I will admit it annoys me when players are either excellent or crap. There is never any inbetween. Yesterday nobody was crap and nobody was excellent. Some were slightly better than others but as a whole we shaded the game against a side who never really looked like scoring (even when Preston did his best for them) on a very hot day. I saw people sat in the stands fanning themselves in the shade of the west stand, watching/criticising players running around in direct sunlight.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:21 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Mellis was back from suspension. Don't forget he wasn't allowed to train while the club suspended him for the fracas. He's basically not played for the last 3 weeks and not trained much, if at all, for the last week. Then gets played in midfield for 90 minutes in 28 degree sunshine. He did fine for me.

I will admit it annoys me when players are either excellent or crap. There is never any inbetween. Yesterday nobody was crap and nobody was excellent. Some were slightly better than others but as a whole we shaded the game against a side who never really looked like scoring (even when Preston did his best for them) on a very hot day. I saw people sat in the stands fanning themselves in the shade of the west stand, watching/criticising players running around in direct sunlight.

It's not only ' in between', we can't even get two ok halves out the players.

I thought Tomlinson actually did quite well first half but was garbage second and I thought McDonald was vice versa
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:51 pm

Yes it is quite alarming that we tend to do that. In hot weather I tend to cut some slack. I also cut some slack early in the season.

The other argument is how long we can leave it.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:21 pm

Ben Stokes just kept England in the Ashes. 2nd chances can pay off. ;)
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:24 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Mellis was back from suspension. Don't forget he wasn't allowed to train while the club suspended him for the fracas. He's basically not played for the last 3 weeks and not trained much, if at all, for the last week. Then gets played in midfield for 90 minutes in 28 degree sunshine. He did fine for me.

I thought Tomlinson actually did quite well first half but was garbage second and I thought McDonald was vice versa

Job Share, perhaps?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:09 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

Job Share, perhaps?

Nah, neithers got enough to make one good 'un
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:43 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:

Job Share, perhaps?

Nah, neithers got enough to make one good 'un

A tad harsh
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:15 am

Very happy that he wasn't involved to the extent that we were lead to believe but still a hefty punishment, and a very public one too.

I rate Mellis as a footballer and we need him to shine more than ever at the moment.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum