{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Do we have the worst set of fans in the FL?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Do we have the worst set of fans in the FL?

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:16 pm

JLStag wrote:I think the majority of Stags fans think it's our given right to be promoted and when it doesn't go our way after 3 weeks heads start rolling off shoulders.

This
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:28 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
JLStag wrote:I think the majority of Stags fans think it's our given right to be promoted and when it doesn't go our way after 3 weeks heads start rolling off shoulders.

This

Not many on here seem to have any patience anymore, I understand that people are concerned with the performances but it's still early days. We win on Saturday and we're doing better than we were at this stage last season.

Last season people wanted flitcroft sacking and Dempster in because he 'knew the club inside out' and had won things with the youth team. Well that happened, and people now want Dempster out and flitcroft back in :lol: I wish we could win every game and play barcelona-esque football but it won't happen. We need to build something with a manager than just giving them one shot at promotion (okay DF had two and Ballsed it up). It just doesn't work for us. Honestly I think we need a bit of a clear out in the squad, a lot of these players have missed out on promotion either once or twice in the past two seasons under Evans/Flitcroft and it seems like they are nervous/the pressure has got to them. I feel for the Radford's who have invested heavily on and off the pitch and have yet to see any success in League 2, but it will come.

Keep the faith, we support Mansfield through thick and thin. Strap in and get ready for another rollercoaster
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:30 pm

Good post above. Please can we keep some sense of perspective. We’ve won 1, drawn 2 and lost 1. The one we lost we were two nil up, yes, but the two we have drawn we came back from 2 0 down.

We are the top scorers in the whole league.

The way people are going on it’s like we have been beaten every game and can’t score a goal.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby johnwhit66 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:54 pm

Yes we do. I sit in k block of Ian greaves upper with my son and dad. Some of the comments at 0-0 and 2-1 up on Tuesday night made me ask myself why I support this club. It’s embarrassing at times. Put yourself in Dempster shoes and think about how you would feel. He is clearly trying his best and lives and breathes our club. The last thing he needs when things aren’t going to plan is people shouting abuse and stupid comments that do nothing to motivate the team or bench. Give the bloke a chance and get behind the team.
johnwhit66
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:19 pm

I thought our fans were far too quiet last night. We also seemed more interested in having a go at our own players instead of the opposition. We need to be more hostile and try and intimidate the refs and opposition as Newport and other clubs are very good at it (although we won two penalties and got away with one!). We need to make away teams not look forward to coming to Field Mill. Let's get behind the team during the game and then let off steam on social media or in the bar after the game. Having a moan at our own manager, keeper and players during the game only helps the opposition. I love the games at Field Mill when the place is rocking and when opposition managers admit that the fans behind them in the West Stand make a good racket. One of Steve Evans' best ideas was moving the dug outs in front of the West Stand.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:41 pm

Getting the fans onside needs something to happen, it cant just be expected. You can still sense the hurt from last season and the team arent doing enough to make it happen so far this term.

I don't get excited listening to JD, the team doesn't have identity. The appointment, the pre season, the team - it's all just flat and that alongside the pain of last year effects the support. The team are at each others throats. Its hardly a shock it's the same with the fans.

We are partly to blame and could no doubt do more and 'take the lead' but then I cant not put this back at the managers door. We win that game on Tuesday, go top 3 and all of a sudden the questions go away and we're on our way, the buzz starts to come back. We get to see our team win a game (thousands haven't for a long time now)... It was perhaps a season even career defining half of football. The next game is huge.

Oh and our fans are just like those of most other teams. It's worse when your close to it and see it first hand but we're all the same.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:01 am

Get us back behind the goals..all teams with a kop inspire the players.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sneag » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:56 am

Football fans have always been fickle whatever club they support, but we now live in the attention deficit age, where everyone demands instant results and it's fuelled by a social media that not only allows everyone a platform to air their views and state them as 'fact, end of'. Clubs have bought into it and offered unprecedented info & input into club's inner workings. This has had a negative overall impact on football & the behaviour of fans.

Back in the day, a poor performance was met with unhappy chuntering on the walk back to the car and maybe a bit of post match analysis in the pub Saturday night.
Now a poor result is picked apart in minute detail over every waking hour over the next 7 days until the next game. Speculation is crystalised into rumour which gets quoted as facts.
We don't have bad fans, we just have a bad lifestyle.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:30 am

Sneag wrote:Football fans have always been fickle whatever club they support, but we now live in the attention deficit age, where everyone demands instant results and it's fuelled by a social media that not only allows everyone a platform to air their views and state them as 'fact, end of'. Clubs have bought into it and offered unprecedented info & input into club's inner workings. This has had a negative overall impact on football & the behaviour of fans.

Back in the day, a poor performance was met with unhappy chuntering on the walk back to the car and maybe a bit of post match analysis in the pub Saturday night.
Now a poor result is picked apart in minute detail over every waking hour over the next 7 days until the next game. Speculation is crystalised into rumour which gets quoted as facts.
We don't have bad fans, we just have a bad lifestyle.

This
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:40 am

Seems to me to be the older generation (50+ maybe) who are like Sneag described who seem to have the biggest problem with the online side of it and way fans react. It is problematic but its also about accepting change. This is the new norm and all the outrage at fans wont change it. Its not just us and it's not just football.

Clubs can't have it both ways. They are happy to embrace social media and the direct interaction/ communication channel when it suites. They have to suck it up when it doesn't.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:04 am

Just a thought but I would say around 2,000 of us hardy soles stuck with the team in the conference years, through thick and thin and boy was there more bad times and did we see some awful football. Now we have maybe 3,500 fans turning up regularly. Are more of these fans, not used to the crap we endured more behind the abuse and rubbish on Facebook. Maybe a lot want instant success like the Manchester fans. I don’t know, I’m not on Facebook, but it was just a thought. The regulars I see now, that supported us through the bad times, don’t hurl the abuse you do see from some new faces!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby JLStag » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:32 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:Just a thought but I would say around 2,000 of us hardy soles stuck with the team in the conference years, through thick and thin and boy was there more bad times and did we see some awful football. Now we have maybe 3,500 fans turning up regularly. Are more of these fans, not used to the crap we endured more behind the abuse and rubbish on Facebook. Maybe a lot want instant success like the Manchester fans. I don’t know, I’m not on Facebook, but it was just a thought. The regulars I see now, that supported us through the bad times, don’t hurl the abuse you do see from some new faces!!!

I can't work out whether its that new facebook page or the influx of the newer fan that seems to have turned our fanbase sour. What i do know is that its absolutely toxic
JLStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby PEAR CIDER » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:38 am

Deffo fb page

Ive removed myself from it. Dont here a peep out of people until things go wrong.

The worst bit is when the rubbish is posted during the game
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:44 am

We are no different to any other club. As other posters have mentioned, social media exaggerates the satisfaction/dissatisfaction.
I think with regards Dempster, it was obviously a mixed view on his appointment. That's always going to give less of a honeymoon period.
I do also think its something more then the actual results. Many, many fans just have this gut feeling that this one isn't going to end well. He can only ever change this through results on the pitch going forward, or its just going to get worse.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:51 am

This thread is just the other side of the coin.

It's an overreaction to fans that have overreacted to a defeat.

'worst fans in the football league'? See the irony?

Football fans are fickle, we change our minds several times a season, sometimes on a game by game basis. Sometimes it becomes adversarial, but we all support the same club and want the same thing. Success. Just allow it.

And as an FYI, I was there in the dark days, one particular Histon games still sticks in the throat. Does this mean I can have an opinion, even if it is different to yours? Or it's it the fact that I have openly voiced concerns over the management team that you don't necessarily agree with which is actually what you dont like? I hope I'm proved wrong about the manager and that we do 'click', and that we get the success we all want.

Opinions are like bum-holes; we've all got one. For us mere fans, no one's opinion is worth any more or less than anyone elses, regardless of how absurd you may find it.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:14 pm

Jamie wrote:Seems to me to be the older generation (50+ maybe) who are like Sneag described who seem to have the biggest problem with the online side of it and way fans react. It is problematic but its also about accepting change. This is the new norm and all the outrage at fans wont change it. Its not just us and it's not just football.

Clubs can't have it both ways. They are happy to embrace social media and the direct interaction/ communication channel when it suites. They have to suck it up when it doesn't.

Only to an extent, i'd say Jamie. Fans are bound to become emotional during and after a game, and naturally their feelings will spill out onto social media. But imo we still have a duty not to let the vitriol become personal or too offensive. I'd bet very few of us would turn the other cheek if someone was verbally laying into us. The only alternatives would be to block certain users, close the account down or not use it anymore - hence it defeats the purpose of having a forum in the 1st place.

Personally i feel fans expectations and reactions have ramped up sharply ever since we appointed Evans: we've moved from a comfortable mid-table club to one where folks expect promotion & don't tolerate failure to reach that
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby robeyre » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:13 am

johnwhit66 wrote:Yes we do. I sit in k block of Ian greaves upper with my son and dad. Some of the comments at 0-0 and 2-1 up on Tuesday night made me ask myself why I support this club. It’s embarrassing at times. Put yourself in Dempster shoes and think about how you would feel. He is clearly trying his best and lives and breathes our club. The last thing he needs when things aren’t going to plan is people shouting abuse and stupid comments that do nothing to motivate the team or bench. Give the bloke a chance and get behind the team.

Absolutely
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Gruff » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:31 am

Jamie wrote:Getting the fans onside needs something to happen, it cant just be expected.

This is the quote which sums it all up for me... Thanks (inadvertently) Jamie

I completely disagree with you. :)
I support Mansfield whether we're at old Wembley, Cardiff, new Wembley, Alfreton or Ebbsfleet.
I support Mansfield whether we're in the Vanarama or the old Division 2.
I support Mansfield whether I'm living in Nott'm, Cheshire, Somerset or Cornwall.
I support Mansfield whether I'm at a match or not.

I am always "onside" and that should be expected.
We are Mansfield. We stand together and we fall together. Expectations ruin things. Be happy when we win and deal with it when we don't.... but always be onside, it's expected !!!
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Jamie » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:44 am

I agree, but to get the atmosphere back and to get those less committed onside, it needs the team to inspire us.

In an ideal world we'd have 3000 ultras that sang all game every game. Sadly we dont.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby manssmooth » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:46 am

Gruff wrote:
Jamie wrote:Getting the fans onside needs something to happen, it cant just be expected.

I support Mansfield whether we're at old Wembley, Cardiff, new Wembley, Alfreton or Ebbsfleet.
I support Mansfield whether I'm living in Nott'm, Cheshire, Somerset or Cornwall.

We are Mansfield. We stand together and we fall together. Expectations ruin things. Be happy when we win and deal with it when we don't.... but always be onside, it's expected !!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Fear Naught
manssmooth
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:50 am

manssmooth wrote:
Gruff wrote:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

To quote Jeremiah, ‘Amen to that brother’.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum