{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

out his depth

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: out his depth

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:52 am

JLStag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
JLStag wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:Should have gone and got Darrell Clark or Keith Hill. Both were available.

Having said that I’d of happily given Flitcroft another go.

Feel a bit sorry for JD, we all want it to work out as he’s done a brilliant job for he YT and was a good player for us but sadly I just can’t see it working. The players should be ashamed

Darrell Clark wasn't available, he'd already gone to Walsall

Proper football people would’ve scoped him out beforehand.

Yeah Radford should have known we were going to lose the playoffs and signed a pre contract agreement with every available manager in the country :roll:

If the plan was to sack Flitcroft if he didn’t t achieve promotion, there should have been a plan in place. Why’s difficult to understand about that?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:59 am

Stevenage will be a big test. JD knows it's win or the lack of fans confidence in him might become irreversible, a la Adam Murray's tenure.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:02 am

Evans didn't fulfill his aim of promotion when after going for a "chinese" in Peterborough
Flitcroft proved be choked when it matters

Now a rookie manager is expected to gain the promotion? :shock: tall order for me.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:11 am

I think its pretty clear to see, were not a top three side... We have one quality midfielder in Otis Khan.. but he cant do it all on his own. Bishop, Macca, Tomlinson... not good enough, simple as that.

The lack of midfield puts pressure on the defence, hence why were shaky at the back.... and the forwards won't be getting the service, Were not making enough chances each game which is worrying, two goal from pennos says it all... when else did we really look like scoring?

Need to put some wins together in the next 6 games

Mid table around playoffs and a late push for the top would be a good season, it worked for Tranmere last year.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:16 am

adamstag wrote:Evans didn't fulfill his aim of promotion when after going for a "chinese" in Peterborough

Now a rookie manager is expected to gain the promotion? :shock: tall order for me.

Apologise if i'm wrong Adam, but weren't you calling for DF's head after about 6 games when he first started? (the same manager who was given ample time & gave us our highest league position for 15 odd years)

Not disputing DF's failing was monumental, just that we need to give people at the helm more time. The bit in bold is where i think many fans expectations lie, hence why post-game reactions are so strong & vitriolic. I'm not sure why anyone is expecting this, given 'rookie manager promotion' happens about as often as someone in love island having a triple digit IQ.

We have a choice of removing JD now & getting another knee-jerk appointment (possibly speeding our decline, while also ridiculing ourselves as as club for any serious credible manager to consider), or we give JD longer, and in doing so must also give him our full support

Imo this season was never about promotion once we'd announced JD was taking over. Whatever happens, i hope he still has a role here 1 way or another
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:21 am

adamstag wrote:Evans didn't fulfill his aim of promotion when after going for a "chinese" in Peterborough

I’d like to dedicate last nights defeat to you, where do you get off on this narrative?
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:32 am

Prediction for Saturday:

Mansfield win easily against Stevenage.

Stags go up to 6th or 7th in the table.

Dempster applauded for tactical nous, well beyond his brief experience as a manager, with calls for him to be made honorary Mayor of Mansfield.

Everyone looking forward to the (near) top of the table clash at Exeter.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:38 am

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:

Imo this season was never about promotion once we'd announced JD was taking over.

I doubt very much this is the case. As bellwhiff would say 'youre extrapolating a scenario that isn't there', to try to defend the failures of the current management team.

Last season I spent good money after bad on trains, petrol and match day tickets following Mansfield town round the country. Week after week I travelled, including a called off fixture at FGR.

If we are not wanting to be competitive in L2 and are just making up the numbers, without wanting to push on after last season's near miss, I'll be more selective with my disposable income.

If this was a season of consolidation in L1, that would be different.
Last edited by arsene wengers coat on Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:41 am

arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:43 am

NorthLondonStag wrote:Prediction for Saturday:

Dempster applauded for tactical nous, well beyond his brief experience as a manager, with calls for him to be made honorary Mayor of Mansfield.

I typed an alternative prediction to this but cant be bothered to deal with the cries of betrayal and get behind the manager
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:46 am

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:

Apologise if i'm wrong Adam, but weren't you calling for DF's head after about 6 games when he first started? (the same manager who was given ample time & gave us our highest league position for 15 odd years)

Not disputing DF's failing was monumental, just that we need to give people at the helm more time. The bit in bold is where i think many fans expectations lie, hence why post-game reactions are so strong & vitriolic. I'm not sure why anyone is expecting this, given 'rookie manager promotion' happens about as often as someone in love island having a triple digit IQ.

We have a choice of removing JD now & getting another knee-jerk appointment (possibly speeding our decline, while also ridiculing ourselves as as club for any serious credible manager to consider), or we give JD longer, and in doing so must also give him our full support

Imo this season was never about promotion once we'd announced JD was taking over. Whatever happens, i hope he still has a role here 1 way or another

Not 6 games, but I wasn't happy with the performance when he took over after Evans left - I don't think many were tbh - it was a disaster - but clearly there were some like Diamond who just downed tools - the players clearly didn't seem fit after Evans and he was given the time last season to change it - it could have been so different - some of the football last season was a delight - I was furious at the end of last season but even I was 50/50 on whether he should go or not - I remember it vividly.

What's meant in the post you quote is if those 2 managers were unable to provide the golden promotion - what are we to expect of JD? SE had pedigree and DF had done well at times with previous clubs - are we to expect the same of JD with no top level experience? surely expectations need to be a little more grounded - or are we to wait and see? some clearly think he should be gone already which is daft - but I'm sure after DF was sacked that we thought someone else with similar nous would come in and many were surprised by his appointment given the tenure of Adam Murray - a club legend who unfortunately didn't cut it at managerial level.

Who'd be a chairman huh?
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:00 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
JLStag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
JLStag wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:Should have gone and got Darrell Clark or Keith Hill. Both were available.

Having said that I’d of happily given Flitcroft another go.

Feel a bit sorry for JD, we all want it to work out as he’s done a brilliant job for he YT and was a good player for us but sadly I just can’t see it working. The players should be ashamed

Darrell Clark wasn't available, he'd already gone to Walsall

Proper football people would’ve scoped him out beforehand.

Yeah Radford should have known we were going to lose the playoffs and signed a pre contract agreement with every available manager in the country :roll:

If the plan was to sack Flitcroft if he didn’t t achieve promotion, there should have been a plan in place. Why’s difficult to understand about that?

There was a plan in place. The plan was to make JD manager.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:02 am

The positive is he seems to have overseen and improvement in Danny Rose and got Khan back to his old self.

The negative is every other player is looking worse than last year, with the exception of a few who are holding. Steady. That’s a big worry. Players can easily spot when someone is out of their depth.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:02 am

Yes Andy, and that’s the problem.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:03 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:Stevenage will be a big test. JD knows it's win or the lack of fans confidence in him might become irreversible, a la Adam Murray's tenure.

AM failed because he didn't have an experienced ( at league 2 level ) assistant. An older head. I think JD has the same problem.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:11 am

Amber Andy wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:Stevenage will be a big test. JD knows it's win or the lack of fans confidence in him might become irreversible, a la Adam Murray's tenure.

AM failed because he didn't have an experienced ( at league 2 level ) assistant. An older head. I think JD has the same problem.

He almost defeated himself - remember us playing some cracking football at the beginning - lost a belter of a game 3-2 to Bristol Rovers at home then went ridiculously defensive - remember him starting 1 home game with about 6 defenders to Barnet! - and we still lost.

As you say, an older head might have helped - clearly the budget for that season was poor though
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:15 am

adamstag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

He almost defeated himself - remember us playing some cracking football at the beginning - lost a belter of a game 3-2 to Bristol Rovers at home then went ridiculously defensive - remember him starting 1 home game with about 6 defenders to Barnet! - and we still lost.

As you say, an older head might have helped - clearly the budget for that season was poor though
Yes. Someone close to Bill Dearden told me AM wanted to get Bill as part of his management team.

I might be being a bit harsh on LG, but what does he actually bring to the table?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:25 am

Dempster IMO probably does need an older head with management experience in there to help him out.

Lokk at what Newport County did they got Lennie Lawrence to help out there young gaffer and are doing brilliantly on a budget probably only half ours.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:30 am

Amber Andy wrote:
adamstag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Yes. Someone close to Bill Dearden told me AM wanted to get Bill as part of his management team.

I might be being a bit harsh on LG, but what does he actually bring to the table?

If you noticed Glover finally rose to his feet once Orient scored the first. No discussions prior to that how to stop them running through at will.
If he then had input on the awful subs made it tells its own story and all you need to know.
As I said last night, absolutely nothing proactive about the management team whatsoever.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby NG17_stag » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:39 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:

I typed an alternative prediction to this but cant be bothered to deal with the cries of betrayal and get behind the manager

Probably end up drawing and these discussion will go on and on for another week. As ridiculous as it sounds with it being Stevenage and only the 5th game of the season... for me it's such a big/important game. If we fail to beat Stevenage we'll probably be around 16th in the table having played Morecambe, Orient and Stevenage at home, winning none. A lot of fans will have then had enough already, which is fair enough as these are 3rd bottom having not scored all season. However, win and we'll probably be in the play-offs.
NG17_stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:40 am

Amber Andy wrote:
adamstag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

I was told at the time discussions took place over this but in the end Murray didn’t fancy it. In hindsight it was a bad move, but I think new fresh managers want to prove they can do it on their own accord when really an older head would prove useful. Perhaps they see it as a potential threat to their job and a quick fix should things go pear shaped, who knows!

To be fair to Glover, Dempster credited him with the changes at Newport which earned us a point in the end but we really could have done with some tactical nous last night. I’m not sure the players truly believe in the management set up... it was a surprise to 95% of fans so it must have been to the team and I’m sure they had their own questions about the decision. As mentioned above if the squad see through the manager you may as well pack up. I hope that’s not the case but things do need to change as I feel like we’ve gone backwards from last year.

Saturday is a big game. No win in the last 5 competitive matches at Field Mill...2 crucial and ultimately costly games at the end of last season, 2 games against Morecambe, and one game where we surrender the points from being 2 goals up. We have to get back to wining home games!
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:30 pm

NG17_stag wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:

Probably end up drawing and these discussion will go on and on for another week. As ridiculous as it sounds with it being Stevenage and only the 5th game of the season... for me it's such a big/important game. If we fail to beat Stevenage we'll probably be around 16th in the table having played Morecambe, Orient and Stevenage at home, winning none. A lot of fans will have then had enough already, which is fair enough as these are 3rd bottom having not scored all season. However, win and we'll probably be in the play-offs.

If we had beaten Stevenage or even drawn with them at the end of last season we wouldn't be having this conversation. :)
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:47 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:

Imo this season was never about promotion once we'd announced JD was taking over.

I doubt very much this is the case. As bellwhiff would say 'youre extrapolating a scenario that isn't there', to try to defend the failures of the current management team.

Not all bud, just imo it's extremely unrealistic to appoint someone so inexperienced with promotion as the expectation. If it were as simple as that then why do teams across the land look for proven managers and not rookies?

A mistake is a mistake, but it's more understandable from someone so new to 1st team management. I do realise its no consolation when capitulating a 2 goal lead though
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:51 pm

If you appoint a rooky manager then you need to provide support & help. The Radfords should give JD until at least Christmas but step in now and sort out his support staff who are letting down. The guy needs a mentor to give him advise such as Billy Dearden who was there on Tuesday night.

Lets not start going down the County route of missing out on promotion then start sacking managers because we know where that ends up
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Jamie » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:58 pm

BigGuy wrote:

I’d like to dedicate last nights defeat to you, where do you get off on this narrative?

What is there to disagree with in what he's said there? Evan's left, fact. DF choked, fact. Promotion is a tall order for any rookie manager, fact.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum