{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

out his depth

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: out his depth

Postby Jimstag » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:10 pm

Love this thread, if we’d somehow held on and we’re top of the league like we were at half time I’m sure half the posters would be saying the complete opposite!

Honestly we’ve got issues but they’re still solvable, as a young manager you’ve got to give JD time. We’ve had experienced managers who faced half the problems John has got and still failed so neither is a guarantee
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:12 pm

It’s up to the owners either way, stick or twist. We just have to live with their decision. Thankfully we still have a club thanks to JR, so we just have to go along for the ride with him. I personally think we have to stick with JD for a while now.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:14 pm

He hasn't got time. Half the fans never agreed with his appointment in the first place and the other half are staying loyal despite the evidence to the contrary....I looked at half time and we were supposedly top of the league. ...that's the last time we will see that this season!!!
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Random Hero » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:16 pm

Manager is 100% at fault for the way we set up for the last 35 mins. 2-0 up and playing for a draw. It was like Adam Murray was back. Horrendous negativity.

We are in trouble
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:17 pm

Jimstag wrote:Love this thread, if we’d somehow held on and we’re top of the league like we were at half time I’m sure half the posters would be saying the complete opposite!

Honestly we’ve got issues but they’re still solvable, as a young manager you’ve got to give JD time. We’ve had experienced managers who faced half the problems John has got and still failed so neither is a guarantee

Playing for a draw at home when 2-0 up :lol:

These sorts of posts are why that Facebook group are branding the people on here ‘dinosaurs’ and ‘happy clappers’
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:22 pm

JD said at a forum thingy I went to pre-season that the chairman has tasked him with promotion this season as well as bringing some of the youngsters into the first team.

The second part of his statement is happening so no surprises.
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:28 pm

BigGuy wrote:JD said at a forum thingy I went to pre-season that the chairman has tasked him with promotion this season as well as bringing some of the youngsters into the first team.

The second part of his statement is happening so no surprises.

Not through choice.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:32 pm

Jamie wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:It depends what your hopes are for the season. If you’re happy to give Dempster a season of experience then leave him in the job. We won’t get relegated.

If you want to be promoted this season, or even make the play-offs, and I assume that was the point in sacking Flitcroft, my thoughts are he’s unlikely to deliver that based on what I’ve seen so far.

He should be given the chance to improve though.

Promotion is the aim and expectation. You dont sack a manager who made the play offs to rebuild for a year or two, especially when you retain most of the team. Dempster said promotion was the target.

I don't think we're fit enough, confident enough and setup as well as we were last year. I said in pre season we'll score goals but leak them too. If we cant tighten up we'll be mid table fodder, win some lose some.

First game I have had opportunity to see this season.
Agree with you Jamie we look unfit, also no shape and the substitutions were a puzzle.

JD is out of his depth.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:39 pm

Basically every single fan said we were short in midfield before the season started. They were right. Basically every fan said Logan is a liability. They were right. Basically every fan could see they were getting back in the game and something needed changing at 2-0. They were right. Shame dempster hasnt seen any of these things.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:13 pm

Worrying season and u can see we are not going to be top 7 or 8 this season all looking like a very average team and a very rooky manager.
Better forgive Mellis temporarily for now till we find a replacement in midfield.
Oh dear JD I do feel for him but he is up against it now and will lose the fans soon.
Will give him 6 more and then it might be...CR... go and get Keith Hill before he gets snapped up.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:17 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Will give him 6 more and then it might be...CR... go and get Keith Hill before he gets snapped up.

Keith Hill might bring in his best mate David Flitcroft as Assistant Manager :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:32 pm

I keep saying it sack Ian Pledger and Daryl Taylor and bring in decent coaches to support JD. A goal keeper who lacks guidance and half a team that looks unfit and lacking concentration.

Be wrong to sack JD this early in the season but you can give him better support.
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby tuopolfpilf » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:44 am

Are the Clubs owners out of there depth? How many bad decisions have they made? Why did they not advetise interview for the vacancy , is there heart ruling there head
I'm sure JD will get it right eventually, I am not sure it will be this season
tuopolfpilf
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Foresttownstag » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:56 am

Should have gone and got Darrell Clark or Keith Hill. Both were available.

Having said that I’d of happily given Flitcroft another go.

Feel a bit sorry for JD, we all want it to work out as he’s done a brilliant job for he YT and was a good player for us but sadly I just can’t see it working. The players should be ashamed
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:58 am

tuopolfpilf wrote:Are the Clubs owners out of there depth? How many bad decisions have they made? Why did they not advetise interview for the vacancy , is there heart ruling there head
I'm sure JD will get it right eventually, I am not sure it will be this season
I don't think for one minute the Radfords are out of their depth.

I do think you make a valid point about their swiftness in appointing managers. Would be far better if they interviewed a shortlist of at least three applicants.

JD will probably get it right eventually. If the Radfords are intent on gaining promotion this season I think JD has got anothe eight games with the Stags to get it right.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:01 am

Foresttownstag wrote:Should have gone and got Darrell Clark or Keith Hill. Both were available.

Feel a bit sorry for JD, we all want it to work out as he’s done a brilliant job for he YT and was a good player for us but sadly I just can’t see it working. The players should be ashamed

No disrespect Forest Town but we didn't all want it to work out for JD. 100% we all want MTFC to be successful without doubt which is a different thing but appointing JD for many was the absolute wrong decision that many had grave misgivings about and until that's changed it was a ticking clock and time bomb until the decision to appoint a manager to carry on the Radfords fantastic work was made.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby spanishstag » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:20 am

Hjeldefan wrote:You cant legislate for keeper errors. You can for one every other game though by dropping him. Which our useless manager refuses to do. I would feel sad for JD if he did go, however his performance today was so bad I have 0 faith he has the knowledge required to do anything for us.

But evans kept playing him as well ,give dempster time
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:36 am

sunray wrote:I keep saying it sack Ian Pledger and Daryl Taylorand bring in decent coaches to support JD. A goal keeper who lacks guidance and half a team that looks unfit and lacking concentration.

Be wrong to sack JD this early in the season but you can give him better support.

They did get sacked along with Flitcroft but somehow got their jobs back. At the time I thought it was a lazy appointment the players fitness took a nose dive when Lee Taylor (although an evans boy) left the club.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby JLStag » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:32 am

Foresttownstag wrote:Should have gone and got Darrell Clark or Keith Hill. Both were available.

Darrell Clark wasn't available, he'd already gone to Walsall
JLStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:42 am

Don't get the Keith Hill love in.
He was a good fit at Rochdale but didn't he leave and was a disaster elsewhere??
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:59 am

JLStag wrote:

Proper football people would’ve scoped him out beforehand.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby JLStag » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:03 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
JLStag wrote:

Proper football people would’ve scoped him out beforehand.

Yeah Radford should have known we were going to lose the playoffs and signed a pre contract agreement with every available manager in the country :roll:
JLStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby James » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:14 am

Well there was a 50/50 chance we could've lost the play-offs, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility to sound out who's available really is it?
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Bridgford Stag » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:45 am

1st game for me this season.

Something that occurred epitomises the question posed on this thread.

When the score was 2-1 or 2-2 one of their players took a knock and there was an impromptu drinks break. Their manager, who was unnervingly fidgety the 1st half, support staff and subs were geeing up their team big time.

Our response? JD walking along the touchline doing nothing...players were standing on the pitch looking like lost lemons. No geeing up or trying to convey a change to tactics. It was a time when the air should have been blue (aka SE) with a view to getting us across that line.

I was seething and couldn't believe what was happening before my eyes.
There are times when to be quiet but last night 2nd half was not to be.

As for the subs - ineffective. Smithy was a boy in a mans environment. Yes, bring him on when we are 3-0 up but last night wasn't the time. CJ - no contribution at all. No other options I suppose but we are down to a thin squad atm.

And, for good measure, have we attained our fitness levels target at this time of the season?

Early days I know but........
Bridgford Stag
First Team
First Team

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:47 am

Bridgford Stag wrote:1st game for me this season.

Something that occurred epitomises the question posed on this thread.

When the score was 2-1 or 2-2 one of their players took a knock and there was an impromptu drinks break. Their manager, who was unnervingly fidgety the 1st half, support staff and subs were geeing up their team big time.

Our response? JD walking along the touchline doing nothing...players were standing on the pitch looking like lost lemons. No geeing up or trying to convey a change to tactics. It was a time when the air should have been blue (aka SE) with a view to getting us across that line.

I was seething and couldn't believe what was happening before my eyes.
There are times when to be quiet but last night 2nd half was not to be.

As for the subs - ineffective. Smithy was a boy in a mans environment. Yes, bring him on when we are 3-0 up but last night wasn't the time. CJ - no contribution at all. No other options I suppose but we are down to a thin squad atm.

And, for good measure, have we attained our fitness levels target at this time of the season?

Early days I know but........

Perfect message WBS..... echoes my thoughts elsewhere
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum