{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

out his depth

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: out his depth

Postby Linby Stag » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:07 pm

Just a thought - when Stags dropped out of the league I decided to tick off the grounds out of the 92 that I’d never been to. Ended up in Bournemouth in 2011 watching them play Scunthorpe in league 1. No idea who he was but Eddie Howe was their manager who, as an ex player rookie manager, had got them promoted the previous year. The rest is history for that small club who took a gamble on a young inexperienced manager. You never know!
Linby Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Jamie » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:09 am

Linby Stag wrote:Just a thought - when Stags dropped out of the league I decided to tick off the grounds out of the 92 that I’d never been to. Ended up in Bournemouth in 2011 watching them play Scunthorpe in league 1. No idea who he was but Eddie Howe was their manager who, as an ex player rookie manager, had got them promoted the previous year. The rest is history for that small club who took a gamble on a young inexperienced manager. You never know!

Yeah and anything can happen. Every week someone wins the lottery at a 1 in 40 million chance. Doesn't mean dumping all your life savings into lottery tickets is a good idea though.

For every successful rookie or questionable internal appointment, how many fail?
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:22 am

Linby Stag wrote:Just a thought - when Stags dropped out of the league I decided to tick off the grounds out of the 92 that I’d never been to. Ended up in Bournemouth in 2011 watching them play Scunthorpe in league 1. No idea who he was but Eddie Howe was their manager who, as an ex player rookie manager, had got them promoted the previous year. The rest is history for that small club who took a gamble on a young inexperienced manager. You never know!

Stop being positive or looking for the silver lining. You know on here it is frowned up. Don’t be surprised if when you open your door this evening there will be an angry mob with pitchforks and burning torches ready to discuss your optimism.

:coys:
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby old ram stag » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:07 am

Mr Spartacus you are only feeling positive because you are sailing the high seas with the new Mrs Spartacus, wait till your back at the Mill giving away 3 points in the second half of a won game.
old ram stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:49 am

We need to cut JD a bit of slack. He's not a miracle worker.

Injuries: Neal Bishop, Andy Cook, Nicky Maynard, Hayden White, Kellan Gordon, Craig Davies, Bobby Olejnik, Jordan Graham?
Suspended: Matt Preston
Club Suspension: Jacob Mellis, Dion Donohue
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:39 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:We need to cut JD a bit of slack. He's not a miracle worker.

Injuries: Neal Bishop, Andy Cook, Nicky Maynard, Hayden White, Kellan Gordon, Craig Davies, Bobby Olejnik, Jordan Graham?
Suspended: Matt Preston
Club Suspension: Jacob Mellis, Dion Donohue

The list is awful but surely it's no coincidence when you see unfit overweight professional players unable to last the full game. Danny Rose has bulked up and looks fit and amazing but how many others hand on heart look like they have adopted his personal discipline?

I have zero confidence that JD can motivate and take these players forward and until I have to eat humble pie for holding such a blasphemous opinion I will stick to it.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby victor A block » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:54 am

Its interesting that the 2 players that do look fit and have performed well so far...Rose and Khan, have both said that they did extra work training pre-season.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:31 am

victor A block wrote:Its interesting that the 2 players that do look fit and have performed well so far...Rose and Khan, have both said that they did extra work training pre-season.

And didn’t appear to get on with David Flitcroft.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:25 pm

Random Hero wrote:
Jimstag wrote:Love this thread, if we’d somehow held on and we’re top of the league like we were at half time I’m sure half the posters would be saying the complete opposite!

Honestly we’ve got issues but they’re still solvable, as a young manager you’ve got to give JD time. We’ve had experienced managers who faced half the problems John has got and still failed so neither is a guarantee

Playing for a draw at home when 2-0 up :lol:

These sorts of posts are why that Facebook group are branding the people on here ‘dinosaurs’ and ‘happy clappers’

Perhaps we should play Killer with managers: - 3 losses (lives) and you're out! :P

I'd bet many on Facebutt are the ones clamouring for managerial changes the moment things go wrong, the spending of cash without regard to finances, the instant expectation for good results, the incredulity when a club that ends up doing just that goes down and they scratch their heads wondering who to blame ;)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:45 am

Facebook?

It’s the devil’s work.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:44 am

According to Google John Dempster is 1.86 m tall, therefore I would say, to avoid drowning, about 1.60 m would be his depth?

Does that answer your question Old Ram Stag?
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:00 am

I am Spartacus wrote:According to Google John Dempster is 1.86 m tall, therefore I would say, to avoid drowning, about 1.60 m would be his depth?

Clever. Silly, but clever.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby QuarrydaleStag21 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:36 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:According to Google John Dempster is 1.86 m tall, therefore I would say, to avoid drowning, about 1.60 m would be his depth?

Not like them chubby gingers, no matter how tall they may be, chubby gingers are always at a risk of drowning. Chubby ginger offensive term removed.
QuarrydaleStag21
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:32 pm

QuarrydaleStag21 wrote:

Not like them chubby gingers, no matter how tall they may be, chubby gingers are always at a risk of drowning. Chubby ginger offensive term removed.

Quarry Dale Stag 21, are you mentally ill or just having a rant?
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:32 pm

Just another rshole
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:44 pm

spanishstag wrote:Just another rshole

your language this season is extremely blue, observation not a criticism fella
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:22 am

yorkshire stag wrote:

Its probably down to the fact ,that we seem to getting more critical posts on here than i can ever remember ,i dont think i have ever read so much vitriolic critiscism of a manager on here for quite a while ,even though we are not a million miles away from getting it right imo
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:04 am

The problem is that in the last two years the expectations have been raised that high.

Folk expect, even demand, we win every game. When we don’t the frustrations that build up just release into these vile out bursts.

Until we get promoted, I believe they will just get worse and worse.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:31 am

spanishstag wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

Its probably down to the fact ,that we seem to getting more critical posts on here than i can ever remember ,i dont think i have ever read so much vitriolic critiscism of a manager on here for quite a while ,even though we are not a million miles away from getting it right imo
The last two managers (SE and DF ), had more "vitriolic criticism" on here than JD has had so far Spanishstag.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby old ram stag » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:35 am

I think it's because the wheels seem to have come off so early in the season both on and off the pitch with regards the playing staff, there seems no leadership in either.
old ram stag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:57 am

The wheels seem to have come off.....Whoaaa. We haven’t started great, but haven’t been terrible either. Take a look at some of the other teams too, they’re not ripping it up either. It’s about getting into your stride and improving game by game. We will get better. It’s very early days. I remember years ago Sunderland being in the bottom 3 of the championship right up to about November then went on to be promoted to the prem. it’s all about momentum up to the end of the season.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby old ram stag » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:17 am

yes I get that cass but it's on and off the pitch, on the pitch i see a lack of purpose and tactics, they are good players that don't seem to have match guidance, off the pitch is a lack of discipline fitness and professionalism, I hope it does improve and in a month we are all singing his name.
old ram stag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:29 am

old ram stag wrote:yes I get that cass but it's on and off the pitch, on the pitch i see a lack of purpose and tactics, they are good players that don't seem to have match guidance, off the pitch is a lack of discipline fitness and professionalism, I hope it does improve and in a month we are all singing his name.

The fitness issue is now important. The manager said that the tracking software had put them as fitter than last year but some fans are saying they are not fit. Personally i wouldn't have a clue as in my head i can't remember what the fitness levels were like at the start of last season.
I do remember fans saying that Bury and Swindon fans had criticised Flitcroft for over training players.

My point is either the software is wrong, the manager is lying or fan perceptions are wrong
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby nick_stags » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:54 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:
old ram stag wrote:yes I get that cass but it's on and off the pitch, on the pitch i see a lack of purpose and tactics, they are good players that don't seem to have match guidance, off the pitch is a lack of discipline fitness and professionalism, I hope it does improve and in a month we are all singing his name.

The fitness issue is now important. The manager said that the tracking software had put them as fitter than last year but some fans are saying they are not fit. Personally i wouldn't have a clue as in my head i can't remember what the fitness levels were like at the start of last season.
I do remember fans saying that Bury and Swindon fans had criticised Flitcroft for over training players.

My point is either the software is wrong, the manager is lying or fan perceptions are wrong

My pretty clear IMO which of those is most likely.

There has been nothing to suggest the players are unfit, literally nothing at all.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:56 am

Amber Andy wrote:
spanishstag wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

The last two managers (SE and DF ), had more "vitriolic criticism" on here than JD has had so far Spanishstag.

Your probably right ,but and im not having a go at you ,but we seem to have a lot more negativity on here than we have ever had ,people criticising jr for appointing a rookie ,jr and carolyn for being out of the country too much ,poor fitness levels ,,management being to relaxed ,its purely speculative ,we dont really know
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum