{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Yesterdays formation

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Yesterdays formation

Postby spanishstag » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:51 pm

Thought it worked perfectly ,white in the back 3 ,with gordon and benning wide ,they couldn,t get through us second half ,it gave the midfield a chance to do their stuff ,and with rose and maynard up front ,it was perfect :coys:
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Re: Yesterdays formation

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:54 pm

As much as I like Preston he’s not as good as the other two defenders on the ball and with White playing in that back 3 gives us infinite opportunities to play from the back and then to the two wide men in Benning and Gordon.

Ps Gordon’s been a very impressive signing so far.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:56 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:As much as I like Preston he’s not as good as the other two defenders on the ball and with White playing in that back 3 gives us infinite opportunities to play from the back and then to the two wide men in Benning and Gordon.

Ps Gordon’s been a very impressive signing so far.

For me gordon has fitted in seamlessly ,i think thats a good sign
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby nick_stags » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:05 pm

Agreed.

I think the 3-5-2 is our best formation and gives the flexibility to be more defensive or adventurous. I really like White at CB and with how solid Gordon has been I think JD will stick with him there and Preston will miss out.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:06 pm

I was at Carlisle and although we had less possession we always looked dangerous on the break.White is better on the ball than Preston and gives the team more options.Logan did well.He threw the ball out often and was not troubled by Carlisle.Not sure about Tomlinson need to see him a few more times.Rose look a potent strike force.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:29 pm

One thing I noticed while watching is it that didn't seem to be the "DF 3-5-2."

White and Sweeney covered the full back slot more often than last season allowing Gordon and Benning to sit a little further up the field. Allowing Bish and/or Tomlinson to drop back almost as centre backs. With Macca dropping back from the hole into a more conventional central midfield role. It worked well in the sense that we limited them to long shots and any balls they got in the box they struggled to do anything with. Look at the highlights, their 2 chances would have flown over the bar even if the goal was doubled in height. Looks to be a promising concept and something our side has to get used to.

With us having the best defensive record last season we could have been doing this alot but never took no notice. We did look alot more structured than previous games.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:37 pm

gazza1988 wrote:One thing I noticed while watching is it that didn't seem to be the "DF 3-5-2."

White and Sweeney covered the full back slot more often than last season allowing Gordon and Benning to sit a little further up the field. Allowing Bish and/or Tomlinson to drop back almost as centre backs. With Macca dropping back from the hole into a more conventional central midfield role. It worked well in the sense that we limited them to long shots and any balls they got in the box they struggled to do anything with. Look at the highlights, their 2 chances would have flown over the bar even if the goal was doubled in height. Looks to be a promising concept and something our side has to get used to.

With us having the best defensive record last season we could have been doing this alot but never took no notice. We did look alot more structured than previous games.

It’s marvellous what you can see from Germany, Gazza ;)

However there were times yesterday when the wing backs were I thought too advanced and actually that cost us the second goal in the League game against Morecambe when Gordon was miles up field.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby victor A block » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:12 pm

Just wonder if the fans will but it , playing at home the same way. Guess it will depend if we are winning. Very few teams successfully deploy 2 different formations
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby nick_stags » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:34 pm

victor A block wrote:Just wonder if the fans will but it , playing at home the same way. Guess it will depend if we are winning. Very few teams successfully deploy 2 different formations

I doubt we will play the same way in many, if any, home games. Maybe against Plymouth who like to dominate possession.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:08 pm

For a tough, gritty fixture like Carlisle away, that formation and team works perfectly as we saw yesterday. If we’re at home you probably need to drop one of the midfielders out for a bit more creativity such Khan in my opinion. Against teams such as Leyton Orient, Crawley, etc. at home we need to be a bit more progressive but I’ve absolutely no problem with playing a different make up for home and away games if it works like it did Saturday.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:21 am

Yep all credit to Gordon
Been massive so far
Looking like Cook is turning out as a poor signing at this stage but hopeful he will settle in better in time.

Do we need Mellis now and Donohue ??
Get rid if attitude and off field antics poor and there must be big wages saved there.
Nice to see Tomlinson back in credit very good player in there.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:21 am

tillydog123 wrote:Yep all credit to Gordon
Been massive so far
Looking like Cook is turning out as a poor signing at this stage but hopeful he will settle in better in time.

Get rid if attitude and off field antics poor and there must be big wages saved there.

Saying that Cook looks like a poor signing is ridiculous. He’s maybe played 90 minutes of football in a Stags shirt. When he’s back fit and has played 15+ games, then we can begin to judge how good a signing he was. Everybody last season was right in saying that we badly needed a physical, target man like presence up front, someone that can mix it up a bit. Cook provides us with that. Proven goal scorer too.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:30 am

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
Been massive so far

Saying that Cook looks like a poor signing is ridiculous. He’s maybe played 90 minutes of football in a Stags shirt. When he’s back fit and has played 15+ games, then we can begin to judge how good a signing he was. Everybody last season was right in saying that we badly needed a physical, target man like presence up front, someone that can mix it up a bit. Cook provides us with that. Proven goal scorer too.

Totally agree regarding Cook. He’s a very good player. He will get better as the season goes on and get lots of game time. Can’t believe folk have already written him off :lol:
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:37 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:
Been massive so far

Totally agree regarding Cook. He’s a very good player. He will get better as the season goes on and get lots of game time. Can’t believe folk have already written him off :lol:

But hes only a "fringe player" ;) :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:45 am

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
Been massive so far

Yip yip!

Given the Himalayan-esque learning gradient JD has to clamber, i think the prime focus is making the whole team work rather than individuals per se. Agree that maybe in a few months time (when the team starts to be cohesive) would be a better time to see what he can or can't do
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:06 pm

part time pete wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:One thing I noticed while watching is it that didn't seem to be the "DF 3-5-2."

It’s marvellous what you can see from Germany, Gazza ;)

However there were times yesterday when the wing backs were I thought too advanced and actually that cost us the second goal in the League game against Morecambe when Gordon was miles up field.

I can get there in nstantly. Its like I'm teleporting.

I think the too far forwards/not enough cover part is what Danny Rose alluded to in his interview last week. Where he said we were still getting used to the new way of playing.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:53 pm

Cook came on for ten minutes against Morecambe in the league and didn’t really do anything but plenty of moans and groans from the fans, it almost felt like they immediately expected him to score the winning goal without question.

He’s a physical guy that is proven to score a decent amount in the league above, I’m sure given the game time he will be a good signing.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:06 pm

Conker wrote:Cook came on for ten minutes against Morecambe in the league and didn’t really do anything but plenty of moans and groans from the fans, it almost felt like they immediately expected him to score the winning goal without question.

He’s a physical guy that is proven to score a decent amount in the league above, I’m sure given the game time he will be a good signing.

He looked quality in the cup game before he was injured and was unlucky not to score hitting the underside of the bar. I was surprised with how mobile he was until then and if he plays like that when he returns he’ll get plenty of goals at this level.
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum