{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Is it too early to worry?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Is it too early to worry?

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:06 pm

Because I'm worrying.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Re: Is it too early to worry?

Postby Foresttownstag » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:11 pm

Appointing JD was always going to be a bit of a gamble.

I wouldn’t say worry as I don’t think any of us expected us to fly out the traps but it’s worrying how many goals we are conceding, especially against sides like Morecambe.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:12 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Because I'm worrying.

It was somewhat worrying when he was appointed, so no.

The bloke looks out of his depth. Let’s hope he can surprise us.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby ParisStag » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:14 pm

I don't know how we're all going to cope.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:15 pm

little boy lost
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Norman » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:20 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:little boy lost

Said that Saturday! The poor bloke looked clueless . Massive step up from managing teenagers to first team coach!
Norman
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:20 pm

Should be fine once Bobby is back.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:21 pm

I don’t think it’s time to worry but I do stand by my thoughts that it was a mistake to sack Flitcroft.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:21 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:Should be fine once Bobby is back.

Well will be adrift at the bottom by then
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby nick_stags » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:23 pm

I see the moron squad is out in force again tonight.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:24 pm

Want JD to succeed but seems emotionless at times, seems to be Glover shouting from the touchline trying to get them moving.

I'll be there Saturday so lets hope they take a step forward and get 3pts on the board.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:29 pm

His tactics we a joke today. Second half when Sweeney is overlapping and the player always in space, you know the setup is wrong... Why change like for like up top, why keep 3 CBs against 1 striker and 10 men?

So far hes turned the leagues best defence into a shambles. Not won a game and shown in all 3 that he can't motivate us to start quickly or with any organisation what so ever.

Even when we were at 2 2 everything was slow, laboured and lack luster, much like the whole game. Its embarrassing.

I'm not gonna do anything silly like call for his head. He needs a more games and a fair crack but based on what I've seen (inc pre season) I think its only a matter of time...

Teams will be relishing playing us now. An out of confidence keeper, a defence that have forgotten how to defend and a team who have two moves - pass it slowly back and sideways till you fall asleep or hoof it long in hope.

I know its early days and only the cup but that was awful.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:29 pm

bellwhiff wrote:I don’t think it’s time to worry but I do stand by my thoughts that it was a mistake to sack Flitcroft.

Agree on that.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:30 pm

I'm going to nail my colours to the mast.

We need to change it. I would love for Dempster to take us to a promotion but I just can't see it happening at all.

He has been backed with some excellent signings and whilst they might not all click straight away, there are some very worrying signs.

The pre season was a shambles. Playing u23 sides instead of proper opposition.

The team look unfit and undisciplined

He has changed the system multiple times already

There is no obvious strategy to how we play.

Hamilton has played 4 positions in 3 games!

Everyone keeps asking why we are letting goals in. Its as clear as day that we are not defending as a team and have tactical problems.

Say what you want about Flitcroft (who made his own mistakes) , but we we're in the top handful of every metric possible last year. We were a couple of injuries and a target man from promotion and only lost out to the other big spenders in the division at the death.

The window is still open and there is still time to turn it around. If I was JR I would be on the phone to Flitcroft offering an apology and asking for him to come back.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:32 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:I'm going to nail my colours to the mast.

We need to change it. I would love for Dempster to take us to a promotion but I just can't see it happening at all.

He has been backed with some excellent signings and whilst they might not all click straight away, there are some very worrying signs.

Everyone keeps asking why we are letting goals in. Its as clear as day that we are not defending as a team and have tactical problems.

Say what you want about Flitcroft (who made his own mistakes) , but we we're in the top handful of every metric possible last year. We were a couple of injuries and a target man from promotion and only lost out to the other big spenders in the division at the death.

The window is still open and there is still time to turn it around. If I was JR I would be on the phone to Flitcroft offering an apology and asking for him to come back.

Me too. (but he won’t)
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:33 pm

Whether you wanted Flitcroft out, or wanted him to stay... I know for a fact no one would’ve ‘said sack Flitcroft and give Dempster the job’.

If I knew Dempster was going to be his replacement there’s not a chance I’d have been on board with Flitcroft being sacked, because I’m not a lunatic.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby nick_stags » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:35 pm

Give him a chance for Christ's sake.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:36 pm

it’s a shambles
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:36 pm

Worried about what exactly? Relegation or another season of disappointment?
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:36 pm

WVStag wrote:Whether you wanted Flitcroft out, or wanted him to stay... I know for a fact no one would’ve ‘said sack Flitcroft and give Dempster the job’.

If I knew Dempster was going to be his replacement there’s not a chance I’d have been on board with Flitcroft being sacked, because I’m not a lunatic.

I was ok with the sacking but agree. I'd have preferred him to try again rather than take such a risk with a rookie.

It's not like we've seen anything at all to get excited about either. No great new tactics or fresh ideas. Just last years team playing worse than they ever did.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:39 pm

nick_stags wrote:Give him a chance for Christ's sake.

I'm all for giving chances. In fact, despite being disappointed that Flitcroft was sacked, I was pleased when JD was named as the manager.

My worries started when a day or two later he was talking about promotion.

If JD was brought in and it was clear that we were going to rebuild for a season or two and maybe hopefully flirt with the playoffs then that would be ok in my book.

However he has been given the task of getting us up, and unfortunately he is not either qualified or experience d enough to do it. It's actually unfair on him if you ask me.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:40 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:I'm going to nail my colours to the mast.

Starting to feel like this too, he doesn't look like he can organise a team.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Old timer » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:41 pm

There doesn't appear to be any momentum or organisation. I think we have the nucleus of a good team but on games so far we don't appear to be able to put what on paper is a promotion winning team into any kind of coherent force.

It is probably too early to worry but I'm personally worried that I've just spent over £70 on train and match tickets to Carlisle and if this lot turn up and play like they did tonight then the only thing i will be enjoying on the day is the scenic trip on the Settle to Carlisle line!
Old timer
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby 88BenM » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:45 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Because I'm worrying.

Yes, it is far too early.

August 2012

L 4-3 v Newport
L 4-1 v Gateshead
W 3-2 v Kiddie
W 1-0 v Hyde
L 4-1 v Grimsby

14 goals conceded in 5 games, heavy defeats away from home.

April 2013

W 1-0 v Wrexham = CHAMPIONS

Give Dempster time. After everything that went on last season, the lesson I learned is that we can't have everything instantaneously. Give him chance.
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby nick_stags » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:46 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:
nick_stags wrote:Give him a chance for Christ's sake.

I'm all for giving chances. In fact, despite being disappointed that Flitcroft was sacked, I was pleased when JD was named as the manager.

My worries started when a day or two later he was talking about promotion.

If JD was brought in and it was clear that we were going to rebuild for a season or two and maybe hopefully flirt with the playoffs then that would be ok in my book.

However he has been given the task of getting us up, and unfortunately he is not either qualified or experience d enough to do it. It's actually unfair on him if you ask me.

You cannot possibly come to that conclusion after two league games. I don't know if JD will be a success or not and the people losing their heads after two games (and 0 defeats!!) may well turn out to be right, but the knee jerk reactions on here are mind boggling, even by Stagsnet standards.

Give the guy an opportunity to find his feet at least.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum