{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Conrad Logan

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Logan

Postby pemill » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:15 pm

Sneag wrote:
m1cksut wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
Pilks gave away a throw in at every goal kick, pee poor distribution.


Pilkington was lucky.
lucky that the outfield could score goals for fun, because he was a complete liability in goal, apparently he was a good shot-stopper.
i think he was awful at everything, and was riding his luck on the strength of his man ure connection.
wouldnt have paid him in washers, never mind threepenny bits!


Pilko couldn't kick to save his life, but he was an otherwise competent keeper, with a pretty awful defence in front of him for much of his time here.

Prone to the occassional howler, but they were just that, occassional.


If I remember correctly Pilko wasn't that great at coming off his line to collect crosses and he makes Conrad's distribution look 'worldy'.
Last edited by pemill on Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pemill
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1005
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:32 am

Re: Logan

Postby Sneag » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:29 pm

Pilko's fvourite trick was timing coming out to perfection and then booting the ball straight at the oncoming striker, or missing the ball altogether.

Yet, he was still a better keeper than Conrad.
Logic is lost in your cranial abatoir,
Shallow empty inside,
Sly witted and full of snide.
User avatar
Sneag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8357
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:41 pm
Location: King Solomon he never lived `round here

Re: Logan

Postby Jamie » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:42 pm

Pilko never came off his line... or am i missing the sarcasm? Awful kicker always stuck to his line and laughed at our player breaking his leg. I'd have Conrad everytime.
Jamie
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5007
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:42 am
Location: Mansfield

Re: Logan

Postby Vice President » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:20 pm

Sedgwick wrote:Defence at fault yesterday, Logan made a cracking save from Ellison to stop it being 3-0. He's a league two keeper and quite a good one.... This place always needs one player to jump on.

Bobby will be back soon anyway

The manager has had two years to asses?? He's only been incharge for a few months, he's not watched every game since Conrad has been here. fgs idiots everywhere.


Rather than call people idiots - do you really think that JD hasn't witnessed the first team at all over the last two years? :o :lol:
Vice President
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1959
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:59 pm

Re: Logan

Postby pemill » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:31 pm

I've looked at the 2nd goal several times and come to the conclusion that Logan was coming for it, he then realised it wasn't go to reach the penalty and got caught in no mans land. Gordan was ahead of CJ when CJ lost the ball, all credit to Ellison for whipping it in early before CJ could chase him down. With being on the attack Preston got caught to far forward, as did Benning which left Pearce isolated and the cross went straight over him.

As for the 1st goal, not in a million years Logan's fault, a lesson should be learned, that being to leave someone up when the opposition have a corner, We cleared the corner but it came straight back in as their defenders who were half way in our half didn't have any pressure on them.
pemill
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1005
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:32 am

Re: Logan

Postby stagmanrob » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:46 am

In my time watching the Stags I can only really think of Darren Ward as a goalkeeper who never really got any sustained stick, and he rightly went on to have a great career.
Ian Bowling was a two time player of the season but still got pelters because he was pretty indecisive a lot of the time on corners and coming off his line, much like Conrad. Marriott got a bit of stick towards the end of his time here when the mistakes started to creep in, and always had the "too small for a keeper" style jibes.

The crux of it is, if you are a really consistent and good goalkeeper at League Two level, you don't stay in it for long.
Logan is pretty much like most goalkeepers we've had before, but in a really noticeable poor physical condition which has never helped his cause from minute one.
I can only really remember Pressman, and Steve Cherry who made a very random unexpected appearance in a first game hammering away at Brentford, as being in worse shape?
User avatar
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2315
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:39 pm
Location: Newbold

Re: Logan

Postby NorthLondonStag » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:52 am

I don’t recall Kevin Hitchcock getting any stick, but he left at the top of his game to go and play for Chelsea. I never saw Rod Arnold but to me Hitchcock is the best keeper we’ve had in recent times.
NorthLondonStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 8:46 pm

Re: Logan

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:12 am

NorthLondonStag wrote:I don’t recall Kevin Hitchcock getting any stick, but he left at the top of his game to go and play for Chelsea. I never saw Rod Arnold but to me Hitchcock is the best keeper we’ve had in recent times.

He only ever got a bit of stick for His kicking at times. He was a great keeper.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3176
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 2:12 pm

Re: Logan

Postby adamstag » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:00 am

pemill wrote:I've looked at the 2nd goal several times and come to the conclusion that Logan was coming for it, he then realised it wasn't go to reach the penalty and got caught in no mans land. Gordan was ahead of CJ when CJ lost the ball, all credit to Ellison for whipping it in early before CJ could chase him down. With being on the attack Preston got caught to far forward, as did Benning which left Pearce isolated and the cross went straight over him.

As for the 1st goal, not in a million years Logan's fault, a lesson should be learned, that being to leave someone up when the opposition have a corner, We cleared the corner but it came straight back in as their defenders who were half way in our half didn't have any pressure on them.


That's exactly how we saw it.

Maybe a more decisive and/or fit GK would have got it
adamstag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7504
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:20 am

Re: Logan

Postby victor A block » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:55 am

One of the main problems with Logan which doesn't get mentioned enough is his starting position. He just doesn't read the game well. Had he been slightly further out , getting the ball for the second goal woudn't be an issue. Throw in that he is then indecisive and does 0 to 60 in about 30 minutes and we will continue to get these issues.
The converse being that he is a reasonable shot stopper as its then impulsive and he doesn't get long to think about it.
victor A block
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1418
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:25 pm

Re: Logan

Postby pemill » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:01 pm

adamstag wrote:
pemill wrote:I've looked at the 2nd goal several times and come to the conclusion that Logan was coming for it, he then realised it wasn't go to reach the penalty and got caught in no mans land. Gordan was ahead of CJ when CJ lost the ball, all credit to Ellison for whipping it in early before CJ could chase him down. With being on the attack Preston got caught to far forward, as did Benning which left Pearce isolated and the cross went straight over him.

As for the 1st goal, not in a million years Logan's fault, a lesson should be learned, that being to leave someone up when the opposition have a corner, We cleared the corner but it came straight back in as their defenders who were half way in our half didn't have any pressure on them.


That's exactly how we saw it.

Maybe a more decisive and/or fit GK would have got it


My point is, with the benefit of video and all that, had he come all the way his only option would have been to head it as the ball was borderline in terms of reaching the area.
In addition he would have to had to put in a challenge on their forward and likely to have collided with him, given the penalty that wasn't a penalty at Newport, this may have influenced his decision - if he had put in the challenge fairly but a free kick or worse had been given against this thread would still be here berating him. In hindsight he should have stayed and try to save the inevitable one on one, at least that would have made it raspberry obvious the outfield players didn't do their jobs.
pemill
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1005
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:32 am

Re: Logan

Postby FarnieStag » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:21 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
FarnieStag wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:
FarnieStag wrote:What will the boo boys do when/If Conrad is dropped and Bobby or other new keeper makes the inevitable league 2 goalie errors? The answer is they'll find another scapegoat. It's a good job the Radfords are chucking stupid amounts of cash in salaries as I don't think players would want to play in front of our fans otherwise.
Logan is a good keeper at this level. It was the defence in front of him that was poor yesterday


Yeh ... like you know just how much the club is paying salaries!


Wow.... the original poster doesn't think our players are at the top of the League 2 payscale? Do you really think the likes of Maynard come to Mansfield for any reason other than we're the highest payers?


I didn’t say that, so please don’t put words in my mouth. You would be better improving your own by avoiding sweeping and unsubstantiated assumptions. I’m not saying you are wrong. I am just saying that you do not possess any real facts on the subject (IMO).

Yes - I was the original poster - in which I was critical of Conrad Logan. Not because of his salary - just because he is not good enough (again IMO)

Wow!


Edwinstowestag.. just because we can't prove something doesn't mean that we can't comment on it. This is supposed to be forum for opinions. And my opinion is that most of the current Stags team will be overpaid, which becomes especially highlighted when it's common knowledge that the Morecambe team are on the bottom of the League 2 payscale.
We don't know for sure that Steve Evans really wasn't going to the Middle East before his timely phone call from Peterborough, but I along with every other Stags fan presume that he lied. I'm sure you don't mind everyone commenting on that, even though nobody actually knows 100% for sure (just 99.99999%!).
FarnieStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:15 pm

Re: Logan

Postby geoffhill » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:25 pm

Logan is a big unit and a good shotstopper.His main problem is he doesn't think very fast.The number of times he could throw the ball out are many.I don't know if ne has been told not to throw the ball out like Cox instructed marriott not to.Bobby is a better all round keeper end of.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2068
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:21 pm

Re: Logan

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:28 pm

Mazza had at least another season two and would have gladly stayed on i’d Clueless had bothered to phoned him back several times
Last edited by yorkshire stag on Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our time will come
User avatar
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9602
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: Logan

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:30 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:Mazda had at least another season two and would have gladly stayed on i’d Clueless had bothered to phoned him back several times



the same clueless that is the reason we are currently playing league two football. I'm sure Marriott wanted to hang up his boots to become a sparky anyway
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5635
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:47 pm

Re: Logan

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:51 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:Mazda had at least another season two and would have gladly stayed on i’d Clueless had bothered to phoned him back several times



the same clueless that is the reason we are currently playing league two football. I'm sure Marriott wanted to hang up his boots to become a sparky anyway


nope that was from his own mouth Robert
Our time will come
User avatar
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9602
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: Logan

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:23 pm

FarnieStag wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:
FarnieStag wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:
FarnieStag wrote:What will the boo boys do when/If Conrad is dropped and Bobby or other new keeper makes the inevitable league 2 goalie errors? The answer is they'll find another scapegoat. It's a good job the Radfords are chucking stupid amounts of cash in salaries as I don't think players would want to play in front of our fans otherwise.
Logan is a good keeper at this level. It was the defence in front of him that was poor yesterday


Yeh ... like you know just how much the club is paying salaries!


Wow.... the original poster doesn't think our players are at the top of the League 2 payscale? Do you really think the likes of Maynard come to Mansfield for any reason other than we're the highest payers?


I didn’t say that, so please don’t put words in my mouth. You would be better improving your own by avoiding sweeping and unsubstantiated assumptions. I’m not saying you are wrong. I am just saying that you do not possess any real facts on the subject (IMO).

Yes - I was the original poster - in which I was critical of Conrad Logan. Not because of his salary - just because he is not good enough (again IMO)

Wow!


Edwinstowestag.. just because we can't prove something doesn't mean that we can't comment on it. This is supposed to be forum for opinions. And my opinion is that most of the current Stags team will be overpaid, which becomes especially highlighted when it's common knowledge that the Morecambe team are on the bottom of the League 2 payscale.
We don't know for sure that Steve Evans really wasn't going to the Middle East before his timely phone call from Peterborough, but I along with every other Stags fan presume that he lied. I'm sure you don't mind everyone commenting on that, even though nobody actually knows 100% for sure (just 99.99999%!).

I have no problem with your opinions, whether I agree with them or not. I simply challenge the “authority” of your assertion. Perhaps judicious use of “I reckon” or “arguably” or even “almost certainly” would pander to my foibles :D
Edders
User avatar
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8109
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:24 pm
Location: Edwinstowe

Re: Logan

Postby steiner » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:32 pm

who'd be a keeper eh...3/4 of the team were having a mare for the first 30 mins on sat and yet its logan that gets all the flak, yeah he's a bit unpredictable at times but i dont think he was to blame for their two goals, and he made at least 3 quality stops that helped us grab a point in a game that could have seen us 4 down before we turned up.
User avatar
steiner
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: Logan

Postby Vice President » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:46 pm

Despite all the criticism of Logan - I think that our defence has been really poor this (and pre) season.
It is easy to make the GK the scape-goat, however serious questions need to be asked about the way we are defending as a team - and that includes the back 5 (thats a lot of defenders!) and also the mid-field.
Our opponents are scything through the midfield and defence with consumate ease at the moment - and that is the greatest concern of all. It would expose any goal keeper.
Vice President
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1959
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:59 pm

Re: Logan

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:30 pm

Vice President wrote:Despite all the criticism of Logan - I think that our defence has been really poor this (and pre) season.
It is easy to make the GK the scape-goat, however serious questions need to be asked about the way we are defending as a team - and that includes the back 5 (thats a lot of defenders!) and also the mid-field.
Our opponents are scything through the midfield and defence with consumate ease at the moment - and that is the greatest concern of all. It would expose any goal keeper.


Consumate? Isn’t that clear soup?
Edders
User avatar
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8109
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:24 pm
Location: Edwinstowe

Re: Logan

Postby Vice President » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:41 pm

Consomme (with a french accent on the 'e') is indeed a thin, clear soup .... i.e. not solid or 'opaque'. Similarities with our defending at the mo! :lol:
Vice President
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1959
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:59 pm

Re: Logan

Postby bux46 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:14 pm

steiner wrote:who'd be a keeper eh...3/4 of the team were having a mare for the first 30 mins on sat and yet its logan that gets all the flak, yeah he's a bit unpredictable at times but i dont think he was to blame for their two goals, and he made at least 3 quality stops that helped us grab a point in a game that could have seen us 4 down before we turned up.


Sorry Steiner but from where I sat any competent keeper would and should have made those saves.it's not as if he flew through the air and tipped one over that was bound for the top corner is it... and as a lot on here are commenting on his weight he ought to sound out Mr Nyland as to how he did it .....
User avatar
bux46
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:25 pm

Re: Logan

Postby Rob » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:20 pm

Vice President wrote:I have never seen a Stags goal keeper criticised as much as Logan.

Looking back at previous Mansfield promotion winning sides (at a similar level) we have had the likes of: Alan Marriott, Kevin Pilkington, Kevin Hitchcock, and Rod Arnold. It is all very well people saying "well this is league 2 - we can't expect great keepers" ... but the afore-mentioned keepers are the standard that we should realistically expect if we are going for promotion. Having seen Conrad Logan over the last two years, I don't think that he is anywhere near as reliable as any of the above - and that is the standard that we need.
John Dempster missed a trick over the summer regarding the all important goal keeper position. I don't know what Logan's contract situation was - but we should have been looking for a top (Number 1) keeper over the summer, with Conrad and Bobby (who might not be the same when he comes back) fighting for the number 2 spot. Instead JD has gone for a youth back-up .... which has significantly weakened our GK/defence this season.

Unfortunately, this has also coincided with the fact that our previously strong defence suddenly appears to have imploded.

If we are still complaining about the GK situation later in the season - the accountability rests with the manager - who has actually had 2 years to assess what was needed.


What utter drivel, Pilko was castigated almost weekly, Ward was criticised non-stop for his sliced kicks, Bowling (twice our player of the year) was called Dracula, Brain Cox, don't get me started, Paddy Gamble, Jason White, Jason Pearcey ..... you are clearly talking right out of your arris. I saw my first game in 1972, in the 47 years subsequent only really two keepers have avoided the pathetic insults of some of our, er, fans, they are Sir Rod and Alan Marriott. It's easy to be a keeper when you are a fat 50 year old sat in the stands.
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4644
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:33 am

Re: Logan

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:08 am

Rob wrote:
Vice President wrote:I have never seen a Stags goal keeper criticised as much as Logan.

Looking back at previous Mansfield promotion winning sides (at a similar level) we have had the likes of: Alan Marriott, Kevin Pilkington, Kevin Hitchcock, and Rod Arnold. It is all very well people saying "well this is league 2 - we can't expect great keepers" ... but the afore-mentioned keepers are the standard that we should realistically expect if we are going for promotion. Having seen Conrad Logan over the last two years, I don't think that he is anywhere near as reliable as any of the above - and that is the standard that we need.
John Dempster missed a trick over the summer regarding the all important goal keeper position. I don't know what Logan's contract situation was - but we should have been looking for a top (Number 1) keeper over the summer, with Conrad and Bobby (who might not be the same when he comes back) fighting for the number 2 spot. Instead JD has gone for a youth back-up .... which has significantly weakened our GK/defence this season.

Unfortunately, this has also coincided with the fact that our previously strong defence suddenly appears to have imploded.

If we are still complaining about the GK situation later in the season - the accountability rests with the manager - who has actually had 2 years to assess what was needed.


What utter drivel, Pilko was castigated almost weekly, Ward was criticised non-stop for his sliced kicks, Bowling (twice our player of the year) was called Dracula, Brain Cox, don't get me started, Paddy Gamble, Jason White, Jason Pearcey ..... you are clearly talking right out of your arris. I saw my first game in 1972, in the 47 years subsequent only really two keepers have avoided the pathetic insults of some of our, er, fans, they are Sir Rod and Alan Marriott. It's easy to be a keeper when you are a fat 50 year old sat in the stands.


But I'm 54 and 3 stone lighter than Logan?????
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6304
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:46 pm

Re: Logan

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:50 am

gazza1988 wrote:
Vice President wrote:I have never seen a Stags goal keeper criticised as much as Logan.

Looking back at previous Mansfield promotion winning sides (at a similar level) we have had the likes of: Alan Marriott, Kevin Pilkington, Kevin Hitchcock, and Rod Arnold. It is all very well people saying "well this is league 2 - we can't expect great keepers" ... but the afore-mentioned keepers are the standard that we should realistically expect if we are going for promotion. Having seen Conrad Logan over the last two years, I don't think that he is anywhere near as reliable as any of the above - and that is the standard that we need.
John Dempster missed a trick over the summer regarding the all important goal keeper position. I don't know what Logan's contract situation was - but we should have been looking for a top (Number 1) keeper over the summer, with Conrad and Bobby (who might not be the same when he comes back) fighting for the number 2 spot. Instead JD has gone for a youth back-up .... which has significantly weakened our GK/defence this season.

Unfortunately, this has also coincided with the fact that our previously strong defence suddenly appears to have imploded.

If we are still complaining about the GK situation later in the season - the accountability rests with the manager - who has actually had 2 years to assess what was needed.

Rod Arnold and Kevin Hitchcock I haven't seen play. Pilks gave away a throw in at every goal kick, pee poor distribution. Alan Marriott was the more all round GK. However, one point is you are comparing our current 2nd choice goalkeeper to previous 1st choice keepers who gained a promotion while here. So let's compare backup keepers, Michael Bingham was backup to pilks a young lad. Shane Redmond was backup to Marriott. I think Conrad is better than those 2.



While i don't disagree with VP about aiming for the best, there are rarely more than 1 or 2 keepers in a division of that quality, and there are always clubs spending as much or 'bigger reputations' to tempt them elsewhere. So it's not going to be the norm to have these keepers imo. Plus, that list of 4 spans almost 50 years - i'd say that highlights how rarely we get hold of them
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
User avatar
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2907
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:33 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bmthstag, Bradders, cornish stag, IAmTheStag, ladybr00kjohn, Richard Cranium, scotsstag, ST4GS, Stagsfan11, Tippy Tappy Football and 43 guests