{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Conrad Logan

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Logan

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:26 pm

Conker wrote:You can compare other league GK all you want, we all know we have a much better one that happens to be injured.

Are you sure he is "much better" ? He may be better, but not by much in my opinion. He was second choice at Exeter before he came here.

The way our defence has being playing so far this season we would still be shipping goals.

I think some on here are ( I don't necessarily mean you Conker ) are using Logan as the scapegoat for our failings.

Even if Bobby was fit to start I don't think it would make that much difference.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:28 pm

He's miles better than Logan
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:04 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Conker wrote:You can compare other league GK all you want, we all know we have a much better one that happens to be injured.

Are you sure he is "much better" ? He may be better, but not by much in my opinion. He was second choice at Exeter before he came here.

The way our defence has being playing so far this season we would still be shipping goals.

I think some on here are ( I don't necessarily mean you Conker ) are using Logan as the scapegoat for our failings.

Even if Bobby was fit to start I don't think it would make that much difference.

Doctor, Doctor this way please
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:21 pm

The defence has no confidence in Logan but trust Bobby end of story.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:29 pm

Kernow wrote:The defence has no confidence in Logan but trust Bobby end of story.

Except that isn’t the end of any story.

You’re just stating an opinion
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:30 pm

He was second choice here until Flitcroft, to his credit realised he was our real #1.

Bobby before his injury was miles ahead of Logan, probably equal in terms of shot stopping but distribution, set-pieces and everything else the difference is huge. I’ll forgive you for forgetting because he’s been out for so long!

I think some have forgot but Logan has never been convincing consistently, and at L2 you cannot really sign and keep consistent wingers but you can goalkeepers, some absolute solid ones at this level, including Bobby.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:37 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

Oh please bobby olejnic over logan its the difference between night and day
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:44 pm

Olejnik looked to be training to the same intensity as the other keepers in the video posted on twitter earlier.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:50 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Remember Yorkshire Stag SE brought him as the reserve keeper. He may well have performed better than Logan, when Logan lost his place but much better, no. I think your rose coloured spectacles will disappoint you if our defence hasn't improved by the time Bobby returns. Also don't forget Bobby will be returning following a long absence. So don't expect Banksy like performance straight away.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:55 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Remember Yorkshire Stag SE brought him as the reserve keeper. He may well have performed better than Logan, when Logan lost his place but much better, no. I think your rose coloured spectacles will disappoint you if our defence hasn't improved by the time Bobby returns. Also don't forget Bobby will be returning following a long absence. So don't expect Banksy like performance straight away.

Andy for me the reason why Bobby is far superior is that he gets us counter attacking almost everytime he gets the ball. The same can never be said of logan who just holds onto the ball watches players in space, waits for them to be marked and then just lumps it forward for it to come straight back to him 30 seconds later.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:36 pm

My opinion is that they both have strengths and weaknesses. I think there is little to chose. I accept that Bobby was a loss when he got injured.

The anti Logan brigade sadden me. Logan shows a lot of passion which suggests he cares about our club, Those who barrack him in games and to a lesser extent those who put most of the blame on him for our woes arn't helping the situation. They should be supporting all our players.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:48 pm

Having just spent a couple of days away, it's nice to see that the Stagsnet regulars are still as divided as ever.

I have never been a fan of Mr Logan but recognise that he also has some fine qualities. For me his biggest fault is his lack of concentration and the casual way he sometimes distributes the ball. Not many games go by when he doesn't casually send a pass to an opponent instead of a team member. Indeed one such example of this occurred immediately before the Morcambe player was sent off, leading to absolute panick for the defence. I also don't think this is restricted to our custodian as a fair few of his team mates are also guilty of the same trait.

Conrad very often saves the situation particularly in one on one encounters but this is forgotten by most as he's just doing his job.

I have always been of the opinion that successful teams must have an excellent keeper or they will fail. Although I think that Conrad is a reasonable league 2 keeper, he is not excellent and therefore I am not confident of automatic promotion whilst he is between the sticks. Unfortunate but realistic I'm afraid.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:00 pm

Bobby is the better goalkeeper, in my opinion and others it would seem. Having said that you need a capable backup. Conrad is exactly that. A capable backup. I'm not saying he's outstanding, I'm not saying he's terrible. All I'm saying is he's a capable no2. We haven't lost in the league with him, so far. He's pulled off some cracking saves and has pulled of some mistakes. That's what you get with a reserve, league 2 keeper. Right now he's in goal because his competition is out injured.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:41 pm

I would never boo Conrad as its not going to be helpful, and it saddens me to see him struggling so much, but anyone defending him this season is kidding themselves. He has been woeful and clearly at fault for at least 2 goals this season and personally sympathy is low when he can't even do the bare minimum and stay in decent shape. He is a pro footballer and can barely even jump which is pretty key for a keeper.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Old timer » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:02 pm

Morecambe goalkeeper looked good and made some good saves. Just shows what you can get at this level. I agree Conrad has made mistakes but jeering him, clapping in a sarcastic way when he returns a pass back successfully to a player and booing him is not going to help.
Old timer
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:52 am

Old timer wrote:Morecambe goalkeeper looked good and made some good saves. Just shows what you can get at this level. I agree Conrad has made mistakes but jeering him, clapping in a sarcastic way when he returns a pass back successfully to a player and booing him is not going to help.

Ah, but what is Morcambe's 2nd choice keeper like? That's the telling factor ;)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:37 am

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
Old timer wrote:Morecambe goalkeeper looked good and made some good saves. Just shows what you can get at this level. I agree Conrad has made mistakes but jeering him, clapping in a sarcastic way when he returns a pass back successfully to a player and booing him is not going to help.

Ah, but what is Morcambe's 2nd choice keeper like? That's the telling factor ;)

But we don't know that Conrad is our second choice keeper do we?

At the moment he is first choice and has spent long periods in front of Bobby in the pecking order under previous managers. We can't assume that He is only there until Bobby is fit as we don't know how Mr Dempster ranks them both.

Until he returns what you see is what you get.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:51 am

Whoever plays tomorrow should be supported. Folk should keep sarcastic and childish derogatory comments to Con... or anyone canned. It HELPS nobody and breeds negativity during the game. IF Con plays a blinder and gains us one or three points you can bet he'll recieve not one iota of praise from some on here. He's not perfect btw, but undermine him from KO is crass stupidity.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:56 am

Logan was 2nd choice at Rochdale and Bobby was 2nd or 3rd at Exeter. I don’t think either cost us promotion in the last couple of seasons .But if you score 2 per game in 3 games you should expect to win at least one. And to the same extent you should not concede 2 per game at this level with our experienced defence
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:04 am

The 'backup' keeper argument doesn't wash. If he is the backup keeper, we knew that our 'first choice was going to be injured for much of the first half of the season, so why did we not bring a first choice keeper in on loan until Jan and not renew Logan's contract?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:11 am

We all have a right to comment and criticise, booing your own player is out of order.

Logan makes mistakes, as do all lower league keepers who have been pro for some years, that's why they are in League 2.

He also makes great saves too.

It's my view that Logan is frowned upon by some because he doesn't command his goal area, take a look at a few Premiership games and notice that modern day keepers don't do what we older supporters thought was everyday keeping. Keepers do not command their box anymore, they are all reactive keepers, blocking, punching and diving, not many actually catch unless it comes straight at them and then it is usually parried away.

Yes Bobby, I M O, is the better keeper but the past shows we do owe Logan a great deal for his end of season commitment last term when other players bottled out.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:38 am

Just a thought, but if Logan is as hopeless as some on here make out, what is the goalkeeping coach doing to improve him?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:47 am

Amber Andy wrote:Just a thought, but if Logan is as hopeless as some on here make out, what is the goalkeeping coach doing to improve him?

33 year old goalkeepers very rarely improve.

Don't forget we also have a GK coach who was sacked as a failure and then reappointed, as well as an analyst.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby tibby » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:05 am

I dont think we have a 1 and 2. In the eyes of management we have 2 starters fighting for 1 place.

I wonder if Logan is on big £, and would cost too much to release hence why he is still here.

He certainly doesn't seem to have challenged himself in the fitness stakes this summer, which is very disappointing, and is the most alarming thing for me.

The game has changed, the days of a Kevin Pressman style goalie have gone. They have to be as fit as outfield players
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby adamstag » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:08 am

tibby wrote:I dont think we have a 1 and 2. In the eyes of management we have 2 starters fighting for 1 place.

I wonder if Logan is on big £, and would cost too much to release hence why he is still here.

He certainly doesn't seem to have challenged himself in the fitness stakes this summer, which is very disappointing, and is the most alarming thing for me.

The game has changed, the days of a Kevin Pressman style goalie have gone. They have to be as fit as outfield players

I'd be surprised if they didn't have a 1 and 2 - they would presumably for other positions.

Bobby is clearly better (and I think that was a pretty large consensus) than Logan - when both are fit I'd be very surprised if Bobby wasn't installed as no1
adamstag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum