{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Former Stags Thread

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Former Stags Thread

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:42 pm

part time pete wrote:why didn't you say that then ;)

Don't you mean "Why didn't you say that then?" :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:19 am

I went to Ipswich Town v Doncaster Rovers on Saturday as part of doing the 92 (or 91). Ben Whiteman was excellent in midfield for Donny with Ben Sheaf and James Coppinger. It was good to see midfield players put their foot on the ball and pass it forward or out to the wide players. They even ran forward with the ball and had shots on goal. Ben Whiteman will be playing in the Championship in January or next season.

Matty Blair also played but he did not have his best game. It did not quite happen for him. James Norwood looked dangerous for Ipswich. I think he could make the step up to the Championship as well.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:20 pm

I see Nathan Thomas has been causing a few problems for Steven Pressley at Carlisle United by refusing to do extra fitness training.

Harry McKirdy signed from Villa who has looked good this season has also been in the bad books.

https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/sport/foo ... lisle-utd/
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:44 am

Paul Anderson played a full 90 minutes for Northampton Town last week at right wing back in a 2-0 win over Carlisle United. He states he was frozen out by DF after things were said by somebody else behind his back.

Rumours inevitably circled as to why Anderson was so dramatically discarded but he maintains he was harshly treated. “The manager changed and the situation changed and I got pushed aside and totally frozen out for things that were said that, for me, were lies and made up,” he says.

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/spor ... -1-9122016

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/spor ... -1-9122127

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/spor ... -1-9127349
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:17 pm

Enjoying the FA Cup game between Dulwich Hamlet and Carlisle United. Carlisle were winning 2-0 at half time. Nathan Thomas and Gethin Jones combined well for their second goal.

Jeffrey Monakana (remember him?) swung in a great free kick at the start of the 2nd half for Christian Smith to head home and pull a goal back for Dulwich.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby hucknallstag » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:48 pm

Harry McKirdy stand out performer in that one
hucknallstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:59 pm

McKirdy is quality... tore us apart when on loan at Stevenage didn't he?

Gethin Jones just showed how awful he really is... he'll be playing for someone like Dulwich in a few years. Absolutely woeful performance.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:12 pm

Sedgwick wrote:McKirdy is quality... tore us apart when on loan at Stevenage didn't he?

Gethin Jones just showed how awful he really is... he'll be playing for someone like Dulwich in a few years. Absolutely woeful performance.

Jones did put in two good crosses, one was an assist for a goal, one was flicked just wide. One dreadful cross as well.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:23 pm

Harry McKirdy had a very good game. Two goals and an assist. I've always liked him since he scored that goal for Stevenage at Field Mill.

Jarrad Branthwaite (17) looked good for Carlisle as well on the right hand side of a back three.

Ben Dempsey (19) (former Charlton academy player) and Ben Chapman (20) (released by Gillingham) also looked like players who could move up the leagues.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:15 am

quality thump for no3. have we actually scored a goal from outside the box this season?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:54 am

Spiritater wrote:quality thump for no3. have we actually scored a goal from outside the box this season?

JK in the cup?
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:00 am

so pretty much no then in games that matter which is poor.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:34 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:McKirdy is quality... tore us apart when on loan at Stevenage didn't he?

Jones did put in two good crosses, one was an assist for a goal, one was flicked just wide. One dreadful cross as well.

Overall he was awful. Lost possession alot, got moved off the ball easily, didn't threaten going forward, completed 12% of passes made.. and against Dulwich!!

He's a big part of their poor defence and one of the reasons we went so down hill last season.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:32 pm

I see since Matt Rhead's former boss at Billericay Town, Glenn Tamplin, has now bought Romford FC (bottom of Isthmian North), appointed himself as manager and signed 15 players.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... ayers.html
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:41 pm

Has Rheady gone back to JCB? Shirley a club in Conf could use the big man
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:08 pm

Matt Rhead is hoping to join an EFL team in January. In the meantime, he is coaching at Stoke's academy.

After finding himself out of then manager Danny Cowley’s plans and receiving such a lucrative offer from Billericay, he felt the time was right to move on. Rhead also felt returning to part-time football would give him more time to focus gaining his coaching qualifications.

“The money was one of the things, but the main thing was that I was going to be part-time so I could really start my coaching,” he said. “I’m doing some coaching part-time in the evening in Stoke. I want to gain some experience in that area before hopefully I can gain something on a full-time basis.” On his departure from the Imps, Rhead said: “I was basically told I wouldn’t be playing much. Danny Cowley wanted to get another striker in, which was obviously Tyler Walker. I didn’t just want to sit there and not be involved every week. It’s not too bad if you’re coming on and pushing other players to play well. But it looked like I wasn’t even going to be in the squad. I didn’t come into football not to be in and around it on a Saturday.”

But the 35-year-old insists he isn’t finished as a player and is keen to secure a return to the Football League, although he will have to wait for the transfer window to reopen in January. In the meantime, he will continue coaching at an academy in his native Stoke while training with a local club to stay sharp. “I can’t sign for a League team until January. That’s what I’ll be looking to do,” he said. “Hopefully I can get something in place. With January still being some way off, nobody wants to commit unless they get injuries. I’m going to train with a local team to keep my fitness up so I’m ready to go come January.”

Rhead admits the last few months have been unsettling. “It’s been tough,” he said. “But I’ve got good family and friends around me. I couldn’t have foreseen this but you get tested in life. You just have to carry on and hopefully something will come up.”

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/spor ... ad-3463045
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby my name is jonas » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:21 pm

Would have him back as a plan b for the second half of season for sure.
my name is jonas
First Team
First Team

Postby wink68 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:37 pm

my name is jonas wrote:Would have him back as a plan b for the second half of season for sure.

Well JD has already taken us back 3 years. Might as well go the whole hog. Alex Jeannin available in January.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:23 pm

my name is jonas wrote:Would have him back as a plan b for the second half of season for sure.

Don't we have Andy Cook for that?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:47 am

Spiritater wrote:Has Rheady gone back to JCB? Shirley a club in Conf could use the big man

If he goes anywhere it’ll be Kettering to join up with Coxy
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:05 pm

yellowstagsfan wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Has Rheady gone back to JCB? Shirley a club in Conf could use the big man

I'm pretty sure he could go there now if it was on the cards. The fact that he hasn't underlines his comment that he is waiting for a league team in January. I can see him ending up at Walsall and would do a good job for them.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby StagsFan83 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:27 pm

StagsFan83 wrote:Nialle Rodney has signed for FC United of Manchester.

Danny Mitchley has signed for Radcliffe.

Mitchley now signed for Witton Albion
StagsFan83
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:13 pm

Ben Whiteman looks like he will be heading to The Championship on these stats

Most accurate league passes (League One; 2019/20):

1710: Ben Whiteman (85%)
1671: Neal Eardley (78%)
1600: Brad Halliday (78%)
1568: Rob Dickie (86%)
1545: Lewington (81%)
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:39 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
yellowstagsfan wrote:

I'm pretty sure he could go there now if it was on the cards. The fact that he hasn't underlines his comment that he is waiting for a league team in January. I can see him ending up at Walsall and would do a good job for them.

Rheady signed for Boreham Wood for rest of season
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:04 pm

Butcher n Bingham on show for Dundee Utd tonite, 21 points clear at top
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater