{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Newport scorefred sponsored by Earwig O

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Newport scorefred sponsored by Earwig O

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:59 pm

Good result in the end, can never grumble at a point at Rodney Parade, particularly after the mess we got ourselves in to.

As touched on, we’re so much better when we just go for it but hopefully that first half has taught us a few lessons which thankfully Dempster seemingly learnt from.

Really not ideal Mellis being suspended, hoping Donohue is ready to step up! A win next week and it’s a solid start
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Alwaysa5tag » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:02 pm

Look at their keeper, let a tame straight at him shot from Rose squirm through and then save a penalty! Who'd be a goalkeeper
Alwaysa5tag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:10 pm

Logan also was the cause of Sweeney getting booked with a very lazy poorly placed pass to him when not under pressure which left him with no choice but to foul. Sweeney was then lucky not to get a second booking when he gave the penalty away so no surprise he was subbed at half time.

Yes Logan made a couple of good saves but he just seems to go to sleep at important times and his casual actions then lead to rushed and drastic measures. I would be much happier if he kept his concentration levels up and I'm sure this also panics the defence and leads to mistrust. I'm trying not to knock Logan but think he was very slow and indecisive for the first goal which was a shocker by the whole defence.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:14 pm

So far this season all we've done is draw, not good enough, need to turn them into wins.

Seriously though it was a classic game of 2 halves.

I do find it odd that people screamed for a plan B of 4-4-2, we get that and it turned the game in our favour. Now people are after plan B becoming plan A and abandon all other "plans". Beggars belief. Newport have had 4 competitive games last season to suss the 3-5-2, JD had 0 competitive games. Newport setup to counter it and did so perfectly. We swapped to 4-4-2 and got 2 quick goals. Full credit to JD for mixing it up. 1 sub and we can completely swap formation. What he has to be careful of, and Flitcroft fell into this, is making the same subs every game. Or to be more precise making the same style and tactical changes each game. If we carry on with 3-5-2 and swap to 4-4-2 after 45-60 minutes managers will have contingency plans. Far too early in the season to say for sure that's his master plan, mainly because it was obvious something had to be done. I would hope JD will stuck to a formation and only change it when we need to (like today being 2-0 down at half time)
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:15 pm

I’d have taken a draw this morning.

Point here is that some of our supporters need to have a good look at themselves. Utterly utterly spineless. I’ve just read this thread and it’s pretty embarrassing.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:20 pm

bellwhiff wrote:I’d have taken a draw this morning.

Point here is that some of our supporters need to have a good look at themselves. Utterly utterly spineless. I’ve just read this thread and it’s pretty embarrassing.

:coys:
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby nick_stags » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:21 pm

Same old mate.

These lot and the usual knee jerk reaction morons at the game who don't have two brain cells to rub together. The booing at half time was laughable.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:26 pm

nick_stags wrote:

Same old mate.

These lot and the usual knee jerk reaction morons at the game who don't have two brain cells to rub together. The booing at half time was laughable.

It could be argued that they’ve bought tickets and committed to a long away trip (unlike their Stagsnet critics) with high expectations, to be then proffered a way-below average first half performance.

I’m not defending moronic barracking but, at the end of the day, they are entitled to “support” our club in any way that they wish.

Stags fans have never handled disappointment well!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:27 pm

nick_stags wrote:

Same old mate.

The problem is its almost like some expect promotion to be all sorted by 5pm today. We drew many games last season. In context a draw away from home {with 10 men to boot) to someone who made it to the play off final last term is a pretty good result.

The added bonus is we're done with Rodney parade now, well in the league anyway, and other side will have to go to their potato field, other sides who may be promotion challengers and likely to drop points there as well.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:29 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
nick_stags wrote:

Same old mate.

The problem is its almost like some expect promotion to be all sorted by 5pm today. We drew many games last season. In context a draw away from home {with 10 men to boot) to someone who made it to the play off final last term is a pretty good result.

The added bonus is we're done with Rodney parade now, well in the league anyway, and other side will have to go to their potato field, other sides who may be promotion challengers and likely to drop points there as well.

How very true, Gazza
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:31 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
nick_stags wrote:

Same old mate.

It could be argued that they’ve bought tickets and committed to a long away trip (unlike their Stagsnet critics) with high expectations, to be then proffered a way-below average first half performance.

I’m not defending moronic barracking but, at the end of the day, they are entitled to “support” our club in any way that they wish.

It could be argued that the comments when we were two down before half time in our first league game, away from home and against a play off team were cringeworthy. Literally embarrassing to read.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:33 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:
nick_stags wrote:

Same old mate.

It could be argued that the comments when we were two down before half time in our first league game, away from home and against a play off team were cringeworthy. Literally embarrassing to read.

Agreed
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:47 pm

And some of those posting negative tripe disappeared after our equaliser
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:15 pm

The wisest words are those left unspoken and I wish people who are quick to slam blame on players or managers would pause a while and think before they do so...get behind the stags , support our club and owners and realise where we are. Solidarity will be rewarded and good times are sweeter when done with class...
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:35 pm

Well done to Demps and his assistant Glover, for turning it around at halftime. A tricky fixture at the best of times,but to be two down at half time, in your first league game as a manager, must have been a daunting experience. Full marks to the team as well, for responding to whatever was said in the dressing room at halftime.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:57 pm

CassellsCap wrote:The wisest words are those left unspoken and I wish people who are quick to slam blame on players or managers would pause a while and think before they do so...get behind the stags , support our club and owners and realise where we are. Solidarity will be rewarded and good times are sweeter when done with class...

Good post
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:02 pm

Amberheart wrote:
CassellsCap wrote:The wisest words are those left unspoken and I wish people who are quick to slam blame on players or managers would pause a while and think before they do so...get behind the stags , support our club and owners and realise where we are. Solidarity will be rewarded and good times are sweeter when done with class...

Good post

Yes, I've only seen the highlights and listened to the live commentary. The commentary didn't mention Logan's howlers and they don't appear on the highlights either so I'm guessing that people are overplaying them, considering that Logan is said to have had a great game.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:04 pm

Amberheart wrote:A revenge win would be nice , but at this stage of the season, I would be happy with a confident team display & a possible 2-2 draw

Well I got half of my wish :D
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby mtfstag » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:28 pm

Just seen Mellis redcard. Never been a red. Player on the floor blew up the whole situation no stamp or even an attempt to injure the man. Embarrassing from a grown man. If the fa don't rescind that the games lost it
mtfstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:39 pm

Bradders wrote:
Amberheart wrote:

Good post

Yes, I've only seen the highlights and listened to the live commentary. The commentary didn't mention Logan's howlers and they don't appear on the highlights either so I'm guessing that people are overplaying them, considering that Logan is said to have had a great game.

Don't see what he did wrong. He's a bloody class keeper for league two, makes some unbelievably good saves he should never make
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:02 pm

mtfstag wrote:Just seen Mellis redcard. Never been a red. Player on the floor blew up the whole situation no stamp or even an attempt to injure the man. Embarrassing from a grown man. If the fa don't rescind that the games lost it

my thoughts too
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:39 pm

The red card is a scandalous decision. The officials should be banned for thinking it was a stamp. Pathetic decision and probably cost us 2 more points!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:00 pm

The red card is just outrageous, cheating from the Newport players and pathetic from the ref. Also their penalty, oh my god. Was the ref Welsh?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby w12stag » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:19 pm

Great comeback at Rodney Parade.Excellent. wins for Dover and Eastleigh.Kelham Island Pale Rider £2.15 a pint in 'spoons in Hammersmith.I've had worse days.
w12stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby ST4GS » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:21 pm

Rob wrote:The red card is just outrageous, cheating from the Newport players and pathetic from the ref. Also their penalty, oh my god. Was the ref Welsh?
I heard the ref was from Sutton in Ashfield. Unbelievable if true.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum