{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Season previews

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Season previews

Postby Marky Mark » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:29 am

Very good, in depth, League 2 previews in this link:

https://welovebetting.co.uk/wlb-season- ... ing-guide/
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Re: Season previews

Postby Dan » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:28 pm

Mansfield (10/1 Bet365)

Few clubs suffered end-of-season heartache quite like Mansfield last term. The Stags’ heinous collapse (W0-D0-L3) with the finishing line in sight saw the Yellows miss out on a top-three finish before Newport piled on the misery by eliminating Town in their play-off semi-final on penalties. Nevertheless, the ambitious Nottinghamshire club are back with a bang.

David Flitcroft was quite rightly dismissed and academy boss John Dempster was installed in the hot-seat for his taste of senior management. Widespread opinion outside of Field Mill centred around potential budget-cutting measures but the Radfords have responded with another major assault on the transfer market to bolster an already star-studded squad.

Mansfield ended the season with only one fit and available striker, and although 26-goal Tyler Walker is no longer about, the eye-catching arrivals of Andy Cook and Nicky Maynard surely make up for the offensive deficit. Elsewhere, the defence that recorded 18 clean sheets remains intact and exciting full-back Hayden White is back from long-term injury.

The football under Flitcroft was largely entertaining and Stags looked a force to be reckoned with. Former club skipper Dempster has promised an attack-minded approach and with Jacob Mellis impressing in an advanced central role in pre-season, plus the likes of CJ Hamilton still on the books, the Stags look well-equipped to launch a title-winning challenge.

Trend-spotters will also be encouraged by the fact that five (26%) of the past 19 League Two title winners failed in the play-offs the year previous.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:04 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:05 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:09 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:23 pm

I was on the BBC Radio Nottingham Drivetime show at 5.15pm today. For anyone interested, this is what I said:

https://stagsnet.net/interviews/RadioNo ... ug2019.mp3
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Conker » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:22 am

Martin Shaw wrote:I was on the BBC Radio Nottingham Drivetime show at 5.15pm today. For anyone interested, this is what I said:

https://stagsnet.net/interviews/RadioNo ... ug2019.mp3

Agree with your prediction Martin, I think the only thing stopping us from finishing in the top three is Dempster - hopefully he's got enough about him so early on in his managerial career, either way I think we have to expect some mistakes considering.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum