{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The enthusiasm-o-meter

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: The enthusiasm-o-meter

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:24 am

Amber Andy wrote:
FarnieStag wrote:I'm enthusiastic for the season ahead.
The stubborn Flitcroft fans are already sharpening their "told you so" knives. Seems incredibly early to gloat.
I'm well and truly in the Flitcroft doubters camp (along with John Radford!), and happy to declare before a ball has even been kicked that we'll have a much better season with Dempster than the last two under Flitcroft. Even though JD has zero experience he'll still do better that Flitcroft (let's face it, we'd have won more points at the end of the past few seasons with Homer Simpson in charge).

So on that basis we will be promoted then. I hope your right.

Did I think it was right to sack DF ? No.

Will I gloat if we have a poorer season than we did under DF ? No.

Am I convinced we are better equipped to get promoted this season ? On what I've seen so far, no.

Even with us signing Cook and Maynard you dont think that we are not better than last season :shock:
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:38 am

marker_mtfc95 wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
The stubborn Flitcroft fans are already sharpening their "told you so" knives. Seems incredibly early to gloat.
I'm well and truly in the Flitcroft doubters camp (along with John Radford!), and happy to declare before a ball has even been kicked that we'll have a much better season with Dempster than the last two under Flitcroft. Even though JD has zero experience he'll still do better that Flitcroft (let's face it, we'd have won more points at the end of the past few seasons with Homer Simpson in charge).

Am I convinced we are better equipped to get promoted this season ? On what I've seen so far, no.

Even with us signing Cook and Maynard you dont think that we are not better than last season :shock:
I'm looking at the overall picture. Manager, squad and what we have done so far in pre season. I don't think we are at the moment better than what we were this time last season. I don't think the preparation has been as good, I don't think the football is shaping up as good. Early days I know, but this time last season looked much better. Defensive mistakes and lumping it up to Cook doesn't fill me with the same enthusiasm as Farnie Stag. The game at Newport will be an indication of any progression or otherwise.
Last edited by Amber Andy on Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:40 am

Amber Andy wrote:
marker_mtfc95 wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

I'm looking at the overall picture. Manager, squad and what we have done so far. I don't think we are at the moment better than what we were this time last season.

Haven’t even kicked a ball yet pal.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:45 am

marker_mtfc95 wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
marker_mtfc95 wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

I'm looking at the overall picture. Manager, squad and what we have done so far. I don't think we are at the moment better than what we were this time last season.

Haven’t even kicked a ball yet pal.

Pre season hasn't been as good as last season. Playing under 23 sides isn't the right preparation for playing league 2 sides.

Newport on the first day will be an indicator.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:55 am

True. Pre-season was amazing last season with wins and one draw against Championship sides which must have raised confidence levels into the red zone.
Then 3-0 and 6-1 home wins to start the season and then only 1 league defeat in the first 20 or so games up until the new year (unprecedented!!)
A brilliant first half of the season with good football and results (ultra critical might be converting too many winning situations into draws at the death of games). Same again please but with a different ending.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:55 am

People complain about playing U23 sides, the club have little control over the team the opponent's put out.

Remember in previous seasons, playing almost non-contact football against Championship side, counts for nothing, pre-season games are ALL about conditioning and shape.

Let us wait and see.

Might take in Rangers game next Sunday for the novelty value?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:58 am

On the flip side with the under 23s is we get to see some potential signings.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:17 am

oldweststander wrote:People complain about playing U23 sides, the club have little control over the team the opponent's put out.

Remember in previous seasons, playing almost non-contact football against Championship side, counts for nothing, pre-season games are ALL about conditioning and shape.

Let us wait and see.

just for clarity, the game is on Saturday (1pm kick off).
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:50 am

oldweststander wrote:People complain about playing U23 sides, the club have little control over the team the opponent's put out.

Let us wait and see.

True oldwestander, but I think it would be better preparation had we played a couple of league 1 sides at home and a couple of National league sides away.

Regarding the last game before the season starts is against an under 23 side, and we did know that from the start. I know the Stockport game was cancelled ( bizarrely by the police), but that would have been better preparation.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:21 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:Totally underwhelmed and my view is that JD will only have until Christmas and if we are in the bottom 6 by then he will be gone. JR/CR will not sit by and watch us go the way of Notts County. I have my doubts that a rookie, untried manager promoted from managing the kids will be able to motivate the first team and take them with him.

If that happens then it'll be our 4th managerial appointment in just over 3 years. That sounds VERY Notts County to me bud.

No disrespect to JD, but I'm puzzled by Jr's strategy on this. I suspect Dempsey will be given more time and patience to imprint his brand of football, unless of course it all goes horribly wrong and Jr's hand is forced.

I think we'll do OK, not relegation, but not chasing down the leaders either

Are you really a Stags fan? How many more posts before you know our managers name?

You are aware of the concept of 'nicknames' in your part of the world, or did the whole Flipflop episode just pass you by? :P
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:33 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:
MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:Totally underwhelmed and my view is that JD will only have until Christmas and if we are in the bottom 6 by then he will be gone. JR/CR will not sit by and watch us go the way of Notts County. I have my doubts that a rookie, untried manager promoted from managing the kids will be able to motivate the first team and take them with him.

If that happens then it'll be our 4th managerial appointment in just over 3 years. That sounds VERY Notts County to me bud.

No disrespect to JD, but I'm puzzled by Jr's strategy on this. I suspect Dempsey will be given more time and patience to imprint his brand of football, unless of course it all goes horribly wrong and Jr's hand is forced.

I think we'll do OK, not relegation, but not chasing down the leaders either

Are you really a Stags fan? How many more posts before you know our managers name?

You are aware of the concept of 'nicknames' in your part of the world, or did the whole Flipflop episode just pass you by? :P

his nickname is Demps.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:38 pm

Well, i've called him Dempsey from day 1 and stubbornly stuck with that! ;)
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:40 pm

Slightly more optimistic after Saturday.

We don't seem to be starting games with a clear plan, rather adapting as the games goes on, which is probably due to the nature of the opposition. Hopefully playing more familiar opposition will give JD more of a chance to form a plan.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Norman » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:46 pm

My thoughts exactly . Hope he proves me wrong but I have an horrible feeling !
Norman
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:25 am

Norman wrote:

My thoughts exactly . Hope he proves me wrong but I have an horrible feeling !

Out of curiosity, do you ever have a good or positive feeling?
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:08 am

Anyone who went last night feeling better or worse about what lies ahead?

We must start Maynard, Cooke, Kahn and Mellis is my view.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:02 am

Spiritater wrote:i'll let you know when pre season's over

Sooooo...... How about now?
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:48 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:
Spiritater wrote:i'll let you know when pre season's over

Sooooo...... How about now?

I think we've improved game after game, which is the aim of pre season . We now get to the proper stuff and as always when we've surpassed the 50 point mark I'll not be squeezing my bum cheeks as tightly.
However I think another promotion push is easily attainable with t'squad (damn,I'll be in trouble again) we've got. Me, I'm buzzin :D
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:26 am

Difficult one to call and as already said JD could be out by Christmas with Glover taking over or he could the King of MTFC !!
I would say he has the most pressure on him of all recent managers as he has a full pre season with all the back up and facilities he has needed and the players he has signed should be able to do a job but there is the easy way and the MTFC way!!
I have no clue how it will all go if honest and I am certainly not sure of top spot but must be capable of top 3/play offs ....but wont go there currently !!!
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:10 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Difficult one to call and as already said JD could be out by Christmas with Glover taking over or he could the King of MTFC !!
I would say he has the most pressure on him of all recent managers as he has a full pre season with all the back up and facilities he has needed and the players he has signed should be able to do a job but there is the easy way and the MTFC way!!
I have no clue how it will all go if honest and I am certainly not sure of top spot but must be capable of top 3/play offs ....but wont go there currently !!!

DF had a full pre season
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Gruff » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:17 pm

I can't think of a stronger squad going into a season for many years, and we have some strength in depth with some of the younger players we have.

3 decent goalkeepers in Logon Olejnik, Stones
4 potential right wingbacks in White, Gordon, Hamilton & Clarke
3 potential left wingbacks in Benning, Donahue & Hamilton
5 possible centre backs in Pearce, Sweeney, Preston, White & Gibbens
9 possible midfielders to choose from in Macca, Hamilton, Bishop, Mellis, Kahn, Donahue, Smith, Gordon & Sterling-James
7 possible Cook, Maynard, Rose, Graham, Hamilton, Davies & Knowles

Pretty sure I've missed somebody out, so let the pedantry begin....)

Yep, I know that players like Hamilton & Donahue can't get picked for every position in a game, but there is enough versatility in this squad to chop and change formations (and tactics). Yes we have injuries, and we will get injuries, but there is good flexibility in the squad. I think Demps has to quickly establish his preferred starting XI/tactics and tweak as and when required. I wouldn't want to see unforced changes to the starting team in the first 5 league games, unless he intends to approach home and away games differently...

Notts County offloaded a number of players before the start of last season, whilst for us, we have really just replaced Walker with Cook & Maynard, but have improved the overall quality on the squad from the one that finished 4th last year

Very quietly optimistic for this season, and despite one of the toughest opening games we could have been given (away at the losing playoff finalists), would like to think we can sit Top 6 at the end of August and build from there.
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:25 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Difficult one to call and as already said JD could be out by Christmas with Glover taking over or he could the King of MTFC !!

Personally i think he has less pressure than both DF and SE, Tilly.

He's been given huge financial backing, but anyone expecting a rookie to win immediately probably has a lovely mushroom patch at the bottom of their garden! :P

It could of course happen, but managers build up their tactical nous over time. Based on that i'm thinking it'll take time to 'out-think' the oppositions gaffer, set up to nullify or overcome our opponents, knowing the right time to change things, etc
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:55 pm

looking forward to Saturday. Just hope we don't try to soak up too much pressure down at Newport. They are a side that is likely to get on the end of some of the hoof ball they put into the box - put enough balls into the box, inevitably something will go in. Many a club have seen it against Newport.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:25 pm

Very optimistic of automatic promotion ,think the signings have been great ,even the young full back from burnley is looking like a first team player ,both gordon and donohue looked to fit in seamlessly when they played on saturday ,cook and maynard will score goals ,plus rose and khan look refreshed and up for it ,nothing against conrad but when bobby is back between the posts ,i cant see many teams to bother us :coys:
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:00 pm

Can't wait for Saturday, get back on the road and weekends away - I hope we stuff them.

Will that cheating git O'Brien be available assuming he is still there or does his Red card from the final carry over?
pemill
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum