{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Radio Coverage

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Radio Coverage

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:32 pm

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Re: Radio Coverage

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:53 pm

Up the offer then
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:11 pm

oh dear stuck with those shockers on woodhus rd then, or payin an arm and leg for ifolllow. hey we'll get updates in clownty's big game at eastleigh.

small club syndrome i'm afraid
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby robeyre » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:14 pm

Does anyone know what percentage we get paid by ifollow?? Or doesn't it work that way.
Just wondering if we make more from match coverage that way
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:41 pm

robeyre wrote:Does anyone know what percentage we get paid by ifollow?? Or doesn't it work that way.

70% of iFollow money goes to the club.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby FarnieStag » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:21 pm

Anyone else think the club is just wanting to squeeze every last penny out of us? Putting tin hat on now...
FarnieStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Jamie » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:22 pm

Spiritater wrote:oh dear stuck with those shockers on woodhus rd then, or payin an arm and leg for ifolllow. hey we'll get updates in clownty's big game at eastleigh.

small club syndrome i'm afraid

More like tight sod syndrome from you tater. iFollow is well priced and good value for money and most of that money goes to the club. It's a no brainer.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:38 pm

FarnieStag wrote:Anyone else think the club is just wanting to squeeze every last penny out of us? Putting tin hat on now...

Can't see how you can blame the club. Old fogies radio obviously doesn't want to pay the going rate as its Mansfiled listeners aren't worth the outlay to them.

They will come back with a bigger offer when County go under on 31st of July.

Can't see there being a massive audience at this end of the county anyway. Most boring station in existence.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:52 pm

And here's a sweetener.....

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby robeyre » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:57 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
robeyre wrote:Does anyone know what percentage we get paid by ifollow?? Or doesn't it work that way.

70% of iFollow money goes to the club.

Looks like a no brainer. Leave things as they are
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby FarnieStag » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:55 pm

So Radio Nottingham have offered cash to the club to allow long-suffering Stags fans to listen to commentary free of charge. Yet 90% on here don't want it, and think that it's better to pay the club even more hard-earned cash to listen to commentary. As we all know there really isn't a lot of surplus cash swirling around Mansfield, and most other clubs have all or some free commentary from their local radio station. If the club wants to increase its profile and attract new fans it needs to reach out to all... and Stagsplayer is just used by existing fans not new ones. Yet again the club shoots itself in the foot in search of an extra few bob, with no thought about the very long-term future. There really are some incredibly brown-nosed folk on this site who would blindly follow the Radfords off the edge of a cliff!
FarnieStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:08 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
FarnieStag wrote:Anyone else think the club is just wanting to squeeze every last penny out of us? Putting tin hat on now...

Can't see how you can blame the club. Old fogies radio obviously doesn't want to pay the going rate as its Mansfiled listeners aren't worth the outlay to them.

They will come back with a bigger offer when County go under on 31st of July.

Can't see there being a massive audience at this end of the county anyway. Most boring station in existence.

to clarify how the BBC works, there is a standard payment they pay for commentary by division. They don't get into bidding wars. So the payment would be whatever they paid Notts Co last season. They won't be paying Notts Co anything next season though, as Conference commentary is already part of an overall agreement between the BBC and the Conference, which allows BBC to provide commentary of every Conference game.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:22 pm

shame really, hope we haven’t cut our noses off
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:53 pm

Spot on Farnie ,couldn't have put it better myself. The club could have done something about the appalling coverage we received last season, and reached out to people that are not regular supporters,at the same time, but go down the money route again.
Basically, we have turned down county wide coverage, and beyond, for the sake of a couple of hundred people , at most, paying subscriptions.
It seems like everything to do with the club is about money, and making as much as possible from the most loyal fans.
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:56 pm

bigalstag wrote:Spot on Farnie ,couldn't have put it better myself. The club could have done something about the appalling coverage we received last season, and reached out to people that are not regular supporters,at the same time, but go down the money route again.
Basically, we have turned down county wide coverage, and beyond, for the sake of a couple of hundred people , at most, paying subscriptions.
It seems like everything to do with the club is about money, and making as much as possible from the most loyal fans.

these promotion pushes don't come cheap you know ;)
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:03 pm

FarnieStag wrote:So Radio Nottingham have offered cash to the club to allow long-suffering Stags fans to listen to commentary free of charge. Yet 90% on here don't want it, and think that it's better to pay the club even more hard-earned cash to listen to commentary. As we all know there really isn't a lot of surplus cash swirling around Mansfield, and most other clubs have all or some free commentary from their local radio station. If the club wants to increase its profile and attract new fans it needs to reach out to all... and Stagsplayer is just used by existing fans not new ones. Yet again the club shoots itself in the foot in search of an extra few bob, with no thought about the very long-term future. There really are some incredibly brown-nosed folk on this site who would blindly follow the Radfords off the edge of a cliff!

Unless you have failed to realise, the BBC radio networks are free to air so it shouldn't cost the fair folk and f Mansfield an extra penny. All they gain is 'something for nothing' instead of getting down to the ground and paying the club their entrance fee. If they can't get then ifollow is available for a small and very reasonable fee.

I will admit that I didn't know the BBC don't negotiate fees but that could be an indication that they aren't paying enough in general leaving clubs only one route to up the anti. I doubt that the amount the BBC wish to pay will suddenly fund extra players or facilities and probably wouldn't cover the gate losses as fair weather fans listen in the warmth with a beer in hand during the depths of winter.

It's time the BBC were self funding instead of indulging an elite band of 'talented people' who are paid far more than they are worth. Get rid of public funding and let advertising in.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:13 pm

I am happy to pay a fiver a month to listen to Martin's commentary. Having free coverage wouldn't make a great deal of difference to me as just over a pound a game wouldn't cause me to switch to the free radio as I expect that wouldn't be as good and then there would end up being clashes with Forest and County and all that.
Martin, do you know how many subscribers the ifollow has? If 200 as suggested then the total revenue for the club is somewhere between £5k and £10k for the season, at most. Doesn't seem like a lot to me, if that's the reason for not going for the radio deal.
Perhaps they are also concerned about people not coming along to the ground as well?
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby pemill » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:19 pm

In my opinion radio is pretty old hat, if I can't get to an away game I'll watch it on i-follow, as a last resort I'll tune in to an away local Radio station who are doing commentary via the internet. If you're keen enough you can find live commentary without listening to Radio Florist, we'd probably be allocated to MW :lol: which in neither use nor ornament.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:20 pm

NorthLondonStag wrote:I am happy to pay a fiver a month to listen to Martin's commentary. Having free coverage wouldn't make a great deal of difference to me as just over a pound a game wouldn't cause me to switch to the free radio as I expect that wouldn't be as good and then there would end up being clashes with Forest and County and all that.
Martin, do you know how many subscribers the ifollow has? If 200 as suggested then the total revenue for the club is somewhere between £5k and £10k for the season, at most. Doesn't seem like a lot to me, if that's the reason for not going for the radio deal.
Perhaps they are also concerned about people not coming along to the ground as well?

I don't have the number of subscribers but it's a lot more than 200. In the days of StagsWorld about a decade ago it was around 200, then 3 or 4 years ago in the days of StagsPlayer it was 400, but it's higher now.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby part time pete » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:43 pm

I thought live BBC commentary was just on radio and wasn’t allowed on the internet for EFL games.

So it would not be any good for people outside the area. Is that right and games are not on DAB?
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:50 pm

Good point by Sandy... making it free to air via the Beeb gives people a reason not to go and listen for free. I get it limits the potential audience but it obviously make more financial sense or they'd go with the better offer.

If there are 500 subscribers, each earning the club 3.50 a month its 21k a year and probably more with higher numbers and pay per view games etc.

The 'poor old' people of Mansfield can afford £1 a week I'm sure...
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby yellafella » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:53 pm

Is it possible that MTFC have an exclusive contract with ifollow and that they would be in breach of contract to allow radio commentary.
yellafella
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:05 pm

yellafella wrote:Is it possible that MTFC have an exclusive contract with ifollow and that they would be in breach of contract to allow radio commentary.

no. There were several games on 103.2 last season.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:08 pm

part time pete wrote:I thought live BBC commentary was just on radio and wasn’t allowed on the internet for EFL games.

So it would not be any good for people outside the area. Is that right and games are not on DAB?

commentary on the internet is exclusive to iFollow for EFL games.

Not so for the Conference of course, so Notts Co commentary next season can and will be on Radio Nottm website as well as on the radio.

Radio station commentary of EFL games cannot be on the website of the radio station - it can only be on radio (FM, AM, DAB).
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:35 pm

The clubs probably making £60-£80k a year from ifollow. The radio stations probably offer £1k a match or what not.

Would love to see exact figures.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum