{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Mansfield v Rangers U23, 1pm ko, Sat 27 July

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Mansfield v Rangers U23, 1pm ko, Sat 27 July

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:46 pm

Jamie wrote:Khan obviously has and can play central midfield but my point is the same. Would anyone really risk him in a 442 midfield or as one of the 3 with wing backs? Especially when the first game is away to a football side who will give us nothing.

This pre season hes taken up 3 different positions at time (from what I've seen). Up front, behind the front man/men or wide...

Hes looked good and I like the lad but I just dont see where he fits. Ths front two are nailed on, as are Bish and Mellis. If we go 442 we could maybe drop Macca and start him right wing. That's his best shot.

At home I'd like to see Bish and Mellis with Khan in front. Still leaves the problem of what to do with CJ... We've got 13/14 first team players. The last two managers didn't start him much and I can see the same this season.

One of the three plays behind the front man, so he could easily play as one of the three. He hasn’t played up front as far as I’ve seen.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:17 am

Jamie wrote: Still leaves the problem of what to do with CJ... We've got 13/14 first team players. The last two managers didn't start him much and I can see the same this season.

CJ Hamilton started 46 league games last season.

It would be a very brave manager who leaves one of our main goal threats and second top league goalscorer on the bench.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:55 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
Jamie wrote: Still leaves the problem of what to do with CJ... We've got 13/14 first team players. The last two managers didn't start him much and I can see the same this season.

It would be a very brave manager who leaves one of our main goal threats and second top league goalscorer on the bench.

Does he even watch Mansfield games? CJ seemed to start nearly every league game last season and there were many calls for him to be dropped as he was the 'golden boy'. He is one of our best players and it would be a huge waste having him as a sub, he's better than that.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:00 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:

Does he even watch Mansfield games? CJ seemed to start nearly every league game last season and there were many calls for him to be dropped as he was the 'golden boy'. He is one of our best players and it would be a huge waste having him as a sub, he's better than that.

Once CJ went wide left yesterday he looked brilliant. His prblem last season was FDs insistance on playing him out of position where he wasn't so effective.

We looked a lot better yesterday as 4 4 2 or 4 4 1 1, than we did playing 3 5 2.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:02 am

Slightly off topic but did anyone see what happened with the crash at the bottom of Quarry Lane? I heard the bang but it was behind me.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Gers Unionist » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:06 am

lifestags wrote:
S7AGS wrote:Who were the standout Rangers players? Dempster mentions hopefully loaning one or some...

The attacking players were pretty much 1st team fringe players. Number 6 who was on loan at bury last season impressed me again. That's 2 games against us and I don't think he gave the ball away once.

Four players apparently have been discussed.

All young players.

20 year old Jamie Barjonas (6)
19 year old Jake Hastie (11)
18 year old Lewis Mayo (5)
17 year old Josh McPake (7)

Both Barjonas and Mayo played well yesterday, McPake was dangerous in flashes and Hastie had a day to forget.

It was a terrific test for our young players, particularly our defenders, in which Mayo at 18 was the oldest.

The other 3 were 17, 2 x 16 year olds, plus a15 year old sub that came on and it showed, particularly in the physicality of the game.

I thought the Rangers kids edged the first half and shifted the ball about quickly, but as the 2nd half wore on Mansfield took a grip of the game and were worthy winners.

Enjoyed a good chat with a few Mansfield lads in your 1861 lounge and you seem like a proper, well run football club.

All the very best in the season ahead and I hope you gain the promotion that you so cruelly missed out on last season.

PS For those that were wondering why so few Rangers fans travelled down yesterday, the game received minimum publicity from Rangers and the club weren't even selling tickets for it.

If there had even been a sprinkling of 1st team players involved, we'd have sold out as many tickets as you allocated us.

For the poster claiming Celtic would bring more, a little bit of info.

Thel latest fans survey shows Glasgow is 60/40 in Rangers favour in support ratio, with the rest of Scotland as a whole close to 70/30.

I'm away to stick a few quid on Maynard to be top League 2 scorer this season.
Gers Unionist
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:34 am

Sneag wrote:Slightly off topic but did anyone see what happened with the crash at the bottom of Quarry Lane? I heard the bang but it was behind me.

Yeh. A family in a Renault, driven by a young woman, and a lone driver in a LWB Land Rover Defender crashed on the junction.

I would opine that it was the Land Rover to blame as it was turning right off of Portland Street onto Quarry Lane and the Renault was going straight on along Portland Street towards town and it looked liked the lights were on green.

It looked like the Renault was a right-off and the Land Rover’s nearside front wing was crunched into its wheel.

The driver of the Renault was obviously upset but I don’t think anyone was seriously hurt.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby one f in mansfield » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:33 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Sneag wrote:Slightly off topic but did anyone see what happened with the crash at the bottom of Quarry Lane? I heard the bang but it was behind me.

Yeh. A family in a Renault, driven by a young woman, and a lone driver in a LWB Land Rover Defender crashed on the junction.

I would opine that it was the Land Rover to blame as it was turning right off of Portland Street onto Quarry Lane and the Renault was going straight on along Portland Street towards town and it looked liked the lights were on green.

It looked like the Renault was a right-off and the Land Rover’s nearside front wing was crunched into its wheel.

The driver of the Renault was obviously upset but I don’t think anyone was seriously hurt.

There were 3 in the Land Rover. The driver got out but another youth stayed in the vehicle because a young lad looked upset , not injured .
Don,t believe everything you read on the internet --William Gladstone 1872
one f in mansfield
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:07 pm

Rangers' young forward, Andrew Dallas, played for Cambridge yesterday and Colin Calderwood wants to sign him.

Andrew Dallas has signed for Cambridge from Rangers for an undisclosed fee.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:15 pm

Newport beat Hungerford Town 3-0 yesterday

"Michael Flynn elected to name a strong starting XI for the match against their National League South opposition. Tom King continued in goal, behind a back four of George Nurse, Mickey Demetriou, Kyle Howkins and a trialist. Matty Dolan and Josh Sheehan helped provide a further defensive shield while Robbie Willmott and Joss Labadie played further forward in support of Jamille Matt and Corey Whitely.

It was all change for the Exiles at half-time as Flynn decided to implement 11 changes for the second half. Nick Townsend made a welcome return in goal having recovered from his bicep injury, while Mark O’Brien, Marvel Ekpiteta, Scot Bennett and Lazar Stojsavljevic composed the backline. Academy prospect Dom Jefferies and Trialist 2 helped Keanu Marsh-Brown in the midfield area, while Thursday’s summer signing Tristan Abrahams joined Padraig Amond and Momodou Touray up-front.

Newport County AFC First Half XI (4-1-2-1-2): Tom King, Trialist 1, Mickey Demetriou, Kyle Howkins, George Nurse, Joss Labadie (C), Josh Sheehan, Robbie Willmott, Matty Dolan, Jamille Matt, Corey Whitely

Newport County AFC Second Half XI (4-3-3): Nick Townsend, Dom Jefferies, Mark O’Brien, Marvel Ekpiteta, Lazar Stojsavljevic, Scot Bennett, Trialist 2, Keanu Marsh-Brown, Momodou Touray, Padraig Amond, Tristan Abrahams

https://www.newport-county.co.uk/news/2 ... rd-report/
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:51 pm

Newport's two trialists were Dan McNamara (20) from Millwall and George Dowling (20) from Bristol City.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum