{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The Gay Footballer

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: The Gay Footballer

Postby Iliketrains » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:13 am

ParisStag wrote:
m1cksut wrote:so, given that footballers have shared communal baths since the year dot, they kiss and hug each other after scoring a goal, and are often very emotional at the end of a game/season etc, is anyone at all surprised that there are gay footballers?
the only surprise is that so few have come out!


So you're saying that people can just become gay from being overly emotional or seeing naked men? It's not a whim that just happens or you decide to do. People are born homosexual, they don't learn it.


I can't find a thumbs up icon so thumbs up ParisStag. To suggest you can become gay by being overly emotional with other men is hilarious but insulting at the same time and i'm straight. I'll give m1cksut the benefit of the doubt and presume he meant something else. :)
Iliketrains
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:44 pm
Location: Deepest Spireiteland

Re: The Gay Footballer

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:16 am

lifestags wrote:The first person to come out really does need support, if he encounters any trolls on twitter, any inappropriate comments then it will deter anybody else coming out.

At the end of the day it comes down to what he does on the pitch that matters, whatever happens in his private life is his business.



Hopefully not, but i suspect it's almost a certainty, unfortunately.


Some people prefer the look of a bell-end on their forehead
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
User avatar
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2831
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: The Gay Footballer

Postby RudyDude » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:33 am

We all know that in the past there has been a great deal of abuse hurled at players who are either good-looking or deemed to be gay but hopefully that abuse has significantly reduced and will be eradicated.

It's perfectly understandable that gay players hide their sexuality so that they can get on with their jobs without the distraction of questions, comments and downright abuse from dinosaurs and drunks.

We should judge players, ours and our opponents, on their football ability and contribution to the success of the team, both on and off the pitch.

Congratulations to any gay player that 'comes out'. We should all have 'Pride' in them and cheer them as much as the rest of the team.

:coys:
Memory is the Treasury and Guardian of all things (Cicero)
RudyDude
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The Gay Footballer

Postby adamstag » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:04 am

Tbh I'd like to think football would have moved beyond this.

It's not right or acceptable to chant about black players for instance (obviously rightfully so!) but was once rife so not really sure why fans would find it acceptable to chant stuff about being gay either - obviously there is a difference between "banter" and malice - being afraid of something due to drunk folk with an IQ of a flea isn't on

As a fan I wouldn't care if the person was black, white, gay, Mr Blobby - as long as they were good at being a footballer - which is basically the aim of him being on the pitch - I wouldn't care.
adamstag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6967
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:20 am

Re: The Gay Footballer

Postby ParisStag » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:24 am

adamstag wrote:Tbh I'd like to think football would have moved beyond this.

It's not right or acceptable to chant about black players for instance (obviously rightfully so!) but was once rife so not really sure why fans would find it acceptable to chant stuff about being gay either - obviously there is a difference between "banter" and malice - being afraid of something due to drunk folk with an IQ of a flea isn't on

As a fan I wouldn't care if the person was black, white, gay, Mr Blobby - as long as they were good at being a footballer - which is basically the aim of him being on the pitch - I wouldn't care.


We're nowhere near moving beyond it. The fact that there isn't an openly gay pro player in England is testament to that. With homophobic attacks on the rise in general society and in schools, I sadly don't think it will come for a while.
User avatar
ParisStag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4944
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:13 pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: The Gay Footballer

Postby adamstag » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:39 am

ParisStag wrote:
adamstag wrote:Tbh I'd like to think football would have moved beyond this.

It's not right or acceptable to chant about black players for instance (obviously rightfully so!) but was once rife so not really sure why fans would find it acceptable to chant stuff about being gay either - obviously there is a difference between "banter" and malice - being afraid of something due to drunk folk with an IQ of a flea isn't on

As a fan I wouldn't care if the person was black, white, gay, Mr Blobby - as long as they were good at being a footballer - which is basically the aim of him being on the pitch - I wouldn't care.


We're nowhere near moving beyond it. The fact that there isn't an openly gay pro player in England is testament to that. With homophobic attacks on the rise in general society and in schools, I sadly don't think it will come for a while.


I get that it hasn't moved beyond it totally, I assure you. However, it an ideal world I would have thought it would have done.

Authorities need to be stronger about this.
adamstag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6967
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:20 am

Re: The Gay Footballer

Postby spanishstag » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:57 am

ParisStag wrote:
m1cksut wrote:so, given that footballers have shared communal baths since the year dot, they kiss and hug each other after scoring a goal, and are often very emotional at the end of a game/season etc, is anyone at all surprised that there are gay footballers?
the only surprise is that so few have come out!


So you're saying that people can just become gay from being overly emotional or seeing naked men? It's not a whim that just happens or you decide to do. People are born homosexual, they don't learn it.


Whilst i agree with what you say ,i must admit i agree with those muslim people who object to it being taught in schools and i find this whole gender neutral gimmick strange to say the least ,likewise i find it sad that every soap seems it must have its quota of minority it might just be my age but i believe what happens closed doors should stay there i certainly dont need to know it all
spanishstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1477
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:44 pm

Re: The Gay Footballer

Postby lifestags » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:00 pm

spanishstag wrote:
ParisStag wrote:
m1cksut wrote:so, given that footballers have shared communal baths since the year dot, they kiss and hug each other after scoring a goal, and are often very emotional at the end of a game/season etc, is anyone at all surprised that there are gay footballers?
the only surprise is that so few have come out!


So you're saying that people can just become gay from being overly emotional or seeing naked men? It's not a whim that just happens or you decide to do. People are born homosexual, they don't learn it.


Whilst i agree with what you say ,i must admit i agree with those muslim people who object to it being taught in schools and i find this whole gender neutral gimmick strange to say the least ,likewise i find it sad that every soap seems it must have its quota of minority it might just be my age but i believe what happens closed doors should stay there i certainly dont need to know it all



It needs to be taught it schools, same as Racism, a lot of abuse or pig headed comments is down to old fashion values and lack of education on the subject.
lifestags
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1553
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:50 pm

Re: The Gay Footballer

Postby adamstag » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:03 pm

lifestags wrote:
spanishstag wrote:
ParisStag wrote:
m1cksut wrote:so, given that footballers have shared communal baths since the year dot, they kiss and hug each other after scoring a goal, and are often very emotional at the end of a game/season etc, is anyone at all surprised that there are gay footballers?
the only surprise is that so few have come out!


So you're saying that people can just become gay from being overly emotional or seeing naked men? It's not a whim that just happens or you decide to do. People are born homosexual, they don't learn it.


Whilst i agree with what you say ,i must admit i agree with those muslim people who object to it being taught in schools and i find this whole gender neutral gimmick strange to say the least ,likewise i find it sad that every soap seems it must have its quota of minority it might just be my age but i believe what happens closed doors should stay there i certainly dont need to know it all



It needs to be taught it schools, same as Racism, a lot of abuse or pig headed comments is down to old fashion values and lack of education on the subject.

Exactly, why should it stay behind closed doors because people are backward?

It's the backward folk that need educating as you say - or maybe it would be best if they're the ones which are kept behind closed doors :lol:
adamstag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6967
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:20 am

Re: The Gay Footballer

Postby spanishstag » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:03 pm

That is garbage
spanishstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1477
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:44 pm

Re: The Gay Footballer

Postby I am Spartacus » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:09 pm

May be he is not really gay, it’s just that he ‘gives them a hand when they are busy’?
I am Spartacus
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1357
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:56 am

Re: The Gay Footballer

Postby scotsstag » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:13 pm

Stoney wrote:Maybe not Stags related so mods can move if they wish.

A unknown footballer has created an account on Twitter called TheGayFootballer. He states he is a Championship player and over the past few days he has come out to his family, his manager and the chairman.

He is due to come out publicly in the next few days or weeks and I for one hope he gets supported! Apparently this will be the first openly gay professional footballer since Fashanu 29 years ago, Hitzslsperger came out after he retired and I believe there is Liam Davis playing for Torquay. Hopefully this will encourage others to come out and times will change.


Who cares?
scotsstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:43 am
Location: SCOTLAND

Re: The Gay Footballer

Postby Amberheart » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:27 pm

Iliketrains wrote:
Jimstag wrote:Actually 1 question I do have regarding this is in the changing room in that Phil Neville is not allowed in the women’s changing room for a set period and team talks held on the pitch for fairly obvious reasons, would some sort of regulation like this have to happen for an openly gay player?
It is OTT for me but at the same time it opens a whole minefield for me.


It's an interesting point Jimstag and one i don't have an answer for.

Maybe if we equate it to women's football. I don't know the facts but i'm sure i read somewhere that there are quite a few gay women footballers at the moment and they obviously share a dressing room. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Minefield indeed.

There are lots of openly gay women professional footballers & have been for some time
It would be great if the men footballers could do the same
We dream the same dream,we want the same thing
User avatar
Amberheart
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2992
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: The Gay Footballer

Postby Dan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:28 pm

Iliketrains wrote:Regardless of all that, if a player IS gay then how the hell does he hide it from the public for the duration of his career?! He'll no doubt want to have relationships etc and someone somewhere will know or see him about with a man. How do you even manage that?


I know of 3 who have played for us so clearly they can hide it from the public. Also if they were out with another man it would just like he is out with his mate. They don't have to be all over each other in public, so therefore people will never know. It's really easy to hide it.
Dan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6940
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: The Gay Footballer

Postby adamstag » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:31 pm

spanishstag wrote:That is garbage


If that’s in reply to my post I’d be intrigued as to why you think it’s rubbish?
adamstag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6967
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:20 am

Re: The Gay Footballer

Postby Showaddywaddy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:34 pm

How anyone could have a problem with educating children tolerance, understanding and acceptance of different cultures and sexuality is mind boggling to me.

They aren’t teaching the kids to be gay. It shows a lack of understanding and intelligence on behalf of those opposed. We are all unique and should be accepted for who we are, instilling that belief in our children can only be a good thing.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1223
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:31 pm
Location: A Town Called Malice

Re: The Gay Footballer

Postby Dan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:46 pm

Showaddywaddy wrote:How anyone could have a problem with educating children tolerance, understanding and acceptance of different cultures and sexuality is mind boggling to me.

They aren’t teaching the kids to be gay. It shows a lack of understanding and intelligence on behalf of those opposed. We are all unique and should be accepted for who we are, instilling that belief in our children can only be a good thing.


A certain post above shows exactly why it needs teaching in schools...
Dan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6940
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: The Gay Footballer

Postby spanishstag » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:52 pm

adamstag wrote:
spanishstag wrote:That is garbage


If that’s in reply to my post I’d be intrigued as to why you think it’s rubbish?

Its your use of the term backward folk that seems to be levelled at anyone who is against the teaching of all the LGBT stuff ,nobody taught me about these things when i was young ,i was allowed to discover my own identity and preferences in life the way i think it should be
spanishstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1477
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:44 pm

Re: The Gay Footballer

Postby I am Spartacus » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:52 pm

I find it very intolerable that people on Stagsnet are falling out with each other regarding tolerance!

Can none of you see the irony?
I am Spartacus
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1357
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:56 am

Re: The Gay Footballer

Postby spanishstag » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:57 pm

Dan wrote:
Showaddywaddy wrote:How anyone could have a problem with educating children tolerance, understanding and acceptance of different cultures and sexuality is mind boggling to me.

They aren’t teaching the kids to be gay. It shows a lack of understanding and intelligence on behalf of those opposed. We are all unique and should be accepted for who we are, instilling that belief in our children can only be a good thing.


A certain post above shows exactly why it needs teaching in schools...


And your post shows that whilst in your eyes im wrong ,which is fine by the way ,if a muslim is teaching his child the opposite he must be wrong,you cant have it both ways
spanishstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1477
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:44 pm

Re: The Gay Footballer

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:59 pm

Amberheart wrote:
Iliketrains wrote:
Jimstag wrote:Actually 1 question I do have regarding this is in the changing room in that Phil Neville is not allowed in the women’s changing room for a set period and team talks held on the pitch for fairly obvious reasons, would some sort of regulation like this have to happen for an openly gay player?
It is OTT for me but at the same time it opens a whole minefield for me.


It's an interesting point Jimstag and one i don't have an answer for.

Maybe if we equate it to women's football. I don't know the facts but i'm sure i read somewhere that there are quite a few gay women footballers at the moment and they obviously share a dressing room. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Minefield indeed.

There are lots of openly gay women professional footballers & have been for some time
It would be great if the men footballers could do the same



Very true, although i don't think it's gone to the level where women footballers have now started coming out as 'straight! :P

As regards education, well, it all depends on the age vs depth of detail being taught. I believe every child has a right to be aware of the different types of sexuality people identify themselves as, how they can determine for themselves, and provide support where needed. Hiding it away leads to resentment and prejudice, likewise broadcasting it too graphically could alarm kids and/or enrage parents. It's all about moderation and choosing the right content for the right audience! ;)

I think it's become a modern day essential for anyone growing up in today's society, regardless of race, age or religion
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
User avatar
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2831
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: The Gay Footballer

Postby Dan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:01 pm

spanishstag wrote:
Dan wrote:
Showaddywaddy wrote:How anyone could have a problem with educating children tolerance, understanding and acceptance of different cultures and sexuality is mind boggling to me.

They aren’t teaching the kids to be gay. It shows a lack of understanding and intelligence on behalf of those opposed. We are all unique and should be accepted for who we are, instilling that belief in our children can only be a good thing.


A certain post above shows exactly why it needs teaching in schools...


And your post shows that whilst in your eyes im wrong ,which is fine by the way ,if a muslim is teaching his child the opposite he must be wrong,you cant have it both ways


I completely agree, I hate religion & Islam is the worst one out there.
Dan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6940
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: The Gay Footballer

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:03 pm

Jimstag wrote:Actually 1 question I do have regarding this is in the changing room in that Phil Neville is not allowed in the women’s changing room for a set period and team talks held on the pitch for fairly obvious reasons, would some sort of regulation like this have to happen for an openly gay player?
It is OTT for me but at the same time it opens a whole minefield for me.


Rediciulous. Just because he's Gay, doesn't mean he cant share a changing room. Do you think just because a gay man is getting dressed next to other men, he'll fancy them or come onto them or something like that so they need to be segregated.. I just cant work out how you've even thought of that? let alone ask it as a genuine question. If you have a problem with a gay man in your changing room, then you're the one that needs taking out of that situation and educating.

Maybe im not quite understanding what you're getting at...


Gareth Thomas didn't get that sort of treatment did he? and you don't go into a gym with separate changing rooms... the comparison to Phil Neville doesn't translate, hes a man in a women's changing room, completely different.

His teammates and the public need to support him, so future gay players don't feel the need to hide and they can live happily the same as everyone else.
Sedgwick
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1462
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:01 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: The Gay Footballer

Postby Iliketrains » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:55 pm

It all boils down to intolerance with these backwards people. Whether that be through wilful ignorance or lack of education. It is about intolerance and the fact that someone else is different to them and because they don't understand it or don't want to understand it then they choose to be nasty about it. Maybe deep down they are scared?

Like someone who kills spiders in their house because they don't understand the spider and they are scared of the spider. It's not doing anyone any harm. The spider cannot help that it is a spider and that it looks different and it is most probably going about it's daily business of raising a family of spiders, building a home and finding food. Yet when some people encounter one they feel the need to kill it or attack it in some way.

It's the same with people of different sexual orientations maybe in terms of attacking something / someone they are maybe frightened of and don't understand.

Personally speaking i don't understand the complexities behind trans people for example and that is probably through a lack of education on my part and the fact that i've never ever met one in person in 40 years. Obviously they are just people like me but just have a different sexual orientation to what is considered the norm. I wouldn't treat trans people any different to anybody else and nor should anyone else. I might find that i don't have much in common with them but that's the same with a lot of people gay, trans or straight. I wouldn't feel the need to attack them or abuse them or troll them online or even bother them. It's none of my business.

Personally bi-sexuality tests my understanding to the limit as my brain works in absolutes. I don't understand the process behind someone being attracted to men AND women. I'd have to say that if i had any miniscule slither of intolerance to any section of the LGBT community it would be bi sexuals because i don't understand how it can work. I don't understand it. I wouldn't treat bi sexuals any different however. I used to work with a bi sexual man a few years ago and i have to admit i was taken aback and again, because i'd never met a bi sexual person before. Obviously they are just people and haven't got 6 heads and webbed feet but it put me on the back foot as it was new to me.

That said

People should have the right to be treated equally as people / human beings whether they have a disability, a different sexual orientation or even if they think they are a practicing witch and i'd always adhere to that. They aren't doing anything wrong or harming anybody. At the risk of sounding even more intolerant, anyone who disagrees with this is wrong. ;)
Last edited by Iliketrains on Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Iliketrains
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:44 pm
Location: Deepest Spireiteland

Re: The Gay Footballer

Postby Scothie the Stag » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:56 pm

I'm astounded that people think it is wrong to teach people about diversity.

Being taught something, won't have an influence over whether someone becomes something. It should however increase acceptance and open mindedness, which is a good thing surely.

I think this thread highlights why it is such a big deal for this player to come out.
Last edited by Scothie the Stag on Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scothie the Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 547
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:28 am

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1966Stag, bob ledgers barber, Chander Lear, JLStag, Woodclanger 1 and 31 guests