{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Dion Donohue - Third mystery signing!!!

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Third mystery signing!!!

Postby Warsop Stag » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:14 am

David Ball would be a phenomenal signing, saw him a bit at Rotherham. Very clever player and something different to what we’ve had over the last couple of seasons.
Warsop Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:18 am

He's a very good player, a creative forward rather than a poach or battering ram. The only issue is that one of Ball, Cook or Maynard would be sat on the bench every week, and I can't imagine them being happy with that.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:26 am

MTFCMusings wrote:He's a very good player, a creative forward rather than a poach or battering ram. The only issue is that one of Ball, Cook or Maynard would be sat on the bench every week, and I can't imagine them being happy with that.

Could be a case of "Say Hello, Wave Goodbye" then.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:48 am

victor A block wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:He's a very good player, a creative forward rather than a poach or battering ram. The only issue is that one of Ball, Cook or Maynard would be sat on the bench every week, and I can't imagine them being happy with that.

That is one hell of a niche joke, Vic!
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:28 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:
victor A block wrote:

That is one hell of a niche joke, Vic!

What? :getmecoat:
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:35 pm

Sneag wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:Eight pages and we still haven't got a clue. I think it was Luke O'Neill, and we lost out last minute. Only a guess, but CR indicated a signing was imminent and nothing has happened.

If true then it’s embarrassing from CR and she needs to pipe down until players have actually signed.

Didn't we have the same comments when Maynard signed for Plymouth at the last minute?

No we actually signed Maynard. My point is “IF” it doesn’t come to anything it’s embarrassing
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:50 pm

Foresttownstag wrote:
Sneag wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:Eight pages and we still haven't got a clue. I think it was Luke O'Neill, and we lost out last minute. Only a guess, but CR indicated a signing was imminent and nothing has happened.

If true then it’s embarrassing from CR and she needs to pipe down until players have actually signed.

Didn't we have the same comments when Maynard signed for Plymouth at the last minute?

No we actually signed Maynard. My point is “IF” it doesn’t come to anything it’s embarrassing

I'm only guessing it was O'Neill. The point is, whoever it was CR indicated it was imminent and it clearly didn't happen, as its several days since CR's announcement. I agree it is embarrassing. Maybe something will happen tomorrow.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:56 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:
Sneag wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:

I'm only guessing it was O'Neill. The point is, whoever it was CR indicated it was imminent and it clearly didn't happen, as its several days since CR's announcement. I agree it is embarrassing. Maybe something will happen tomorrow.

I’m not sure they’d have flown somebody out for a few days, and if a deal is done any announcement will have been put on hold until Dempster, Mark Stevenson and co. are back in the country. Hopefully we see something in the next few days!
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:57 pm

I'm glad I wasn't in the trenches with some of you lot.

Stop whining all the time. Last week a load of folk were doubting the Maynard signing. If the Radford's haven't proven themselves to you by now they never will.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:02 pm

The teams flying home today so we might see some more players this week
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:07 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:I'm glad I wasn't in the trenches with some of you lot.

Stop whining all the time. Last week a load of folk were doubting the Maynard signing. If the Radford's haven't proven themselves to you by now they never will.
Im pleased with the signings so far. Maynard is a great signing and so is Cook. Walker, Khan, and Preston were also similar quality signings. So forgive me for not going overboard regarding our benefactors at this stage.

The point I and others are making is perhaps, CR in particular, should tone it down a bit until the player has actually signed. It's reminds me of the Jim Bowen scenario "just look who you could have " signed :)
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:37 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:I'm glad I wasn't in the trenches with some of you lot.

Im pleased with the signings so far. Maynard is a great signing and so is Cook. Walker, Khan, and Preston were also similar quality signings. So forgive me for not going overboard regarding our benefactors at this stage.

The point I and others are making is perhaps, CR in particular, should tone it down a bit until the player has actually signed. It's reminds me of the Jim Bowen scenario "just look who you could have " signed :)

How do you know the player hasn't signed?

I seem to remember similar comments on here when Maynard had signed but hadn't been announced. Too many folk jumping to conclusions I feel. They will tell us when they are ready.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:15 pm

Foresttownstag wrote:
Sneag wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:

Exactly, dummies were spat, toys were thrown & the Maynard signed, so your point has no validity at all.
A signing 'soon' may mean before the week is out. Just because a bunch of petulant cry babies want 'soon' to mean in the next 5 minutes, doesn't mean a signing has fallen through.

Don't get me wrong there are times CR would do well to tone it down a bit, in my opinion, but the point is the majority of the time when CR says a signing is about to happen it does.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:20 pm

I’m sure the Radford’s are calculated in not only getting the deals done but also in how they announce them.

If nothing else it’s amusing watching people get so dramatic but more importantly it gets the MTFC brand out there. People called the video cringeworthy when it was deliberately tongue in cheek.

We are surely the envy of pretty much every league 1 & league 2 club and probably a decent number of clubs in the Championship simply because of the investment, hard work and determination to succeed of our owners.

From Conference strugglers to winning that horrid hell hole of a league, consolidating our place in League 2 to promotion challengers in the last two seasons you’d think people would be a bit more chilled and trusting of the Radford’s.

I for one am certainly looking forward to next season.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:25 pm

get ya sens ta Retford Tuesday nite, sure to see the odd mystery player i’ll bet !

:coys:
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:02 pm

Showaddywaddy wrote:I’m sure the Radford’s are calculated in not only getting the deals done but also in how they announce them.

If nothing else it’s amusing watching people get so dramatic but more importantly it gets the MTFC brand out there. People called the video cringeworthy when it was deliberately tongue in cheek.

We are surely the envy of pretty much every league 1 & league 2 club and probably a decent number of clubs in the Championship simply because of the investment, hard work and determination to succeed of our owners.

From Conference strugglers to winning that horrid hell hole of a league, consolidating our place in League 2 to promotion challengers in the last two seasons you’d think people would be a bit more chilled and trusting of the Radford’s.

Me too. And what’s it matter if Carolyn likes flash her Gucci?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:07 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Showaddywaddy wrote:I’m sure the Radford’s are calculated in not only getting the deals done but also in how they announce them.

Me too. And what’s it matter if Carolyn likes flash her Gucci?

If you read carolyns post ,its obvious that she is going to meet her spanish lodger ,unless she meant the spanish BORDER
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:18 pm

I think she meant that the game against Swansea was on the Spanish border, not to be confused with a new signing.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:21 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:I think she meant that the game against Swansea was on the Spanish border, not to be confused with a new signing.

Whoooooosh
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:53 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:
Sneag wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:

She never said it was imminent, just "new signing soon" which could be a week or two... You lot don't half make up some raspberry to suit your own agenda. I highly doubt we were interested in O'Neill... He's played league one football for a few years and you think we'd sign him on top money and let either him or white sit on the bench? No chance.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:24 pm

Sneag wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:
Sneag wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:

Exactly, dummies were spat, toys were thrown & the Maynard signed, so your point has no validity at all.
A signing 'soon' may mean before the week is out. Just because a bunch of petulant cry babies want 'soon' to mean in the next 5 minutes, doesn't mean a signing has fallen through.

Don't get me wrong there are times CR would do well to tone it down a bit, in my opinion, but the point is the majority of the time when CR says a signing is about to happen it does.

All I’m saying is if the signing doesn’t materialise we will look a bit silly.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:49 pm

Plane from cardiff anyone
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:09 pm

spanishstag wrote:Plane from cardiff anyone

You gland.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:14 pm

I don't think league 1 clubs are envious of us, simply because they are already in league 1 and we are league 2. Theyve made it, we havn't. We are very lucky to have JR and CR, but despite all their efforts we start another season in league 2.

I'm not sure the video was "tongue in cheek", but whether it was or not,it has the same effect on rival fans when we "fail" in terms of promotion. They see us as Billy Big Boots and their delight in our failure is trebled. I wish CR would tone I'd down a little. My view is, it is not befitting of a league 2 club
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:25 pm

Foresttownstag wrote:

Then again, when we've had weeks of silence folks weren't happy either. And previously when the club gave vague or non committal statements the fans also complained, citing 'why bother'.

Seems like there isn't really a right answer to give - maybe we're happiest when we have something to moan about? :P
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum