{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Davies Injury

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Davies Injury

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:49 am

Seen that he didn’t travel because he’s still injured. Facebook littered with morons wanting him shot and thrown in a skip
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Re: Davies Injury

Postby robeyre » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:25 am

Time will tell if this is good or bad business. In the past he would have been forced to play with pain killing injections broken down periodically and retired by now.
Modern thinking is give the injury time to really heal and you get about 5 extra years out of a player. If he comes back and is fully fit, plays brilliantly for us then he's been a great investment. If he comes back in two months and covers our other two or three main attackers and fails he not cost us much more than now. Also if he never plays for us again but is transfered we'll get some return on our initial outlay. Should he never play again for us or anyone else then yes we made a mistake signing him with his record.
It therefore makes perfect sense to continue to pay his wages and aid his recovery
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby adamstag » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:39 am

cThere are a lot of daft comments on him, but ultimately we're paying him to play and score goals - which he isn't doing as he's always injured.

Obviously unfortunate and he appears to be a nice lad - but I'd prefer not to have a 3rd season without a big target man (Jimmy Spencer turned into a dud) - it's a hard decision to make - I wonder if part of his contract depends on how often he plays etc
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:51 am

Stags will have a little thing called an Insurance policy if the player retires through injury.....

There are thick people about
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:58 am

I'm no expert in conditioning but even by looking at Davies you can see he is too top heavy. He's not got a footballers physique. The extra weight he is carrying on his arms and shoulders can't be good for someone with dodgy ankles. Every video you see of him on instagram is him lifting weight etc.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Binghamstag » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:02 am

Cause he is lifting weight. It's how he needs to strength his ankle. What do u want him to do sprints and long runs? That will come later when his ankle is strong enough. Top heavy? No he is in proportion
Binghamstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:14 am

SINA STAG wrote:Stags will have a little thing called an Insurance policy if the player retires through injury.....

I thought that clubs had insurance for lengthy layoffs as well. If this is the case, then it may be that he is only costing us half his wages whilst not playing
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:17 am

Some morons want shooting. They have no idea!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:18 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:
SINA STAG wrote:Stags will have a little thing called an Insurance policy if the player retires through injury.....

I thought that clubs had insurance for lengthy layoffs as well. If this is the case, then it may be that he is only costing us half his wages whilst not playing

But as the Oldham fans said he's still an almost permanent crock, those 'half wages' could contribute to a player whose fit and raring to contribute???
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:40 am

Binghamstag wrote:Cause he is lifting weight. It's how he needs to strength his ankle. What do u want him to do sprints and long runs? That will come later when his ankle is strong enough. Top heavy? No he is in proportion

I’m not talking about now, I’m talking about before he was injured.

He actually posted a picture today of him doing somecardio.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:04 pm

I sure Davies will be more frustrated than anyone. Hopefully he can use it to prove a point this season, he’s looked good at this level when fit to me.
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:15 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
georgefostersbeard wrote:

But as the Oldham fans said he's still an almost permanent crock, those 'half wages' could contribute to a player whose fit and raring to contribute???

He played 44 games in the one season he was there and when Coventry put in a bid for him in the January transfer window the manager said it would be suicidal for the club to accept the offer. He left due to the state of the club. Doesn't sound like too much of a crock!
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny Rotten » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:01 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I'm no expert in conditioning but even by looking at Davies you can see he is too top heavy. He's not got a footballers physique. The extra weight he is carrying on his arms and shoulders can't be good for someone with dodgy ankles. Every video you see of him on instagram is him lifting weight etc.

Indeed not an expert in conditioning or footballers physiques:

I give you Matt Rhead and Adebayo Akinfenwa to name but two...
@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:04 pm

Johnny Rotten wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:I'm no expert in conditioning but even by looking at Davies you can see he is too top heavy. He's not got a footballers physique. The extra weight he is carrying on his arms and shoulders can't be good for someone with dodgy ankles. Every video you see of him on instagram is him lifting weight etc.

Indeed not an expert in conditioning or footballers physiques:

I give you Matt Rhead and Adebayo Akinfenwa to name but two...

Neither of them have a history of injury problems though....
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:06 pm

he's not done too bad then playing at a higher level than league 2 for many years has he?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:23 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

he's not done too bad then playing at a higher level than league 2 for many years has he?

He hasn't always been as top heavy though. Look back to his prolific season at Chesterfield and he was skinny. As you progress in years, the wear and tear on your joints builds up and as such any unnecessary weight and muscle you are carrying can't be good for those joints.

These are just my thoughts, as I said I'm no expert in the field, just logic.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:10 pm

Iffy Onuora springs to mind ..
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum