{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Squad Depth 2019/20

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Squad Depth 2019/20

Postby Dave Wayne » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:16 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
daddycool wrote:Stone goalkeeper

Yeah, I don't consider him to be a senior pro.

Well Dempster obviously does :

Manager John Dempster said: “Aidan has had an excellent schooling at a place [Burnley] which has a proven track record for producing excellent young goalkeepers.
“We are already blessed with two senior goalkeepers [Bobby Olejnik and Conrad Logan] who are established at this level, however, Aiden will provide us with cover in the absence of Bobby recovering from his injury.

“I expect Aiden to learn from, develop and push Conrad and Bobby for the number one shirt.”
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:23 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
daddycool wrote:Stone goalkeeper

Yeah, I don't consider him to be a senior pro.

Well Dempster obviously does :

Manager John Dempster said: “Aidan has had an excellent schooling at a place [Burnley] which has a proven track record for producing excellent young goalkeepers.
“We are already blessed with two senior goalkeepers [Bobby Olejnik and Conrad Logan] who are established at this level, however, Aiden will provide us with cover in the absence of Bobby recovering from his injury.

“I expect Aiden to learn from, develop and push Conrad and Bobby for the number one shirt.”

Everyone's welcome to an opinion Dave, but if I disagree with that opinion, I usually voice why. If you call that shouting down then fine, I call it a discussion.

Re : Stone, were you expecting Dempster to say 'Yeah we've signed Stone just so we've got someone to sit on the bench whilst Bobby is injured. Conrad may as well not bother coming training because he is guaranteed number one'. Of course he's going to say that about Stone. I've never seen him play, I hope he's brilliant as there is nothing I would like more than a better goalkeeper than Logan, but realistically I can't see him playing many minutes at present unless Logan gets injured.

Feel free to disagree, but I will probably just shout you down on a written forum where volume of voice cannot possibly be displayed.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:12 pm

Obviously I didn't mean actual shouting but feel free to be pedantic if that helps.
No problem with a discussion as we all have different opinions, but the idea of a discussion is that you take on board what the other person is saying and respond accordingly. The way you tend to do it is to ignore the points they have made and just restate the same thing again as if your opinion is the only one that matters.

Re : Stone. Yes Dempster was going to bull him up for the reasons you have stated, but the last line of the quote suggests he seems him as a first team squad member, but I am sure you know better than the club manager !!
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:26 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:Obviously I didn't mean actual shouting but feel free to be pedantic if that helps.
No problem with a discussion as we all have different opinions, but the idea of a discussion is that you take on board what the other person is saying and respond accordingly. The way you tend to do it is to ignore the points they have made and just restate the same thing again as if your opinion is the only one that matters.

Re : Stone. Yes Dempster was going to bull him up for the reasons you have stated, but the last line of the quote suggests he seems him as a first team squad member, but I am sure you know better than the club manager !!

Actually, a discussion is an exchanging of views on a particular subject. There’s nothing in the rules say you must all come to a friendly compromise. If I think someone’s opinion is rubbish, and there are stats/facts to back it up, then of course I will respond. For example, someone on twitter today said we failed to get promoted last season because of our defence, when our defence was the best in the league. That was his opinion, but it’s a completely ludicrous opinion not supported by any stats.

I’ll add Stone to the list if it makes you a happy bunny.

Sorry for shouting Dave.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:28 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:Obviously I didn't mean actual shouting but feel free to be pedantic if that helps.

That will all depend if JD knows all about orange octagons and pink pyramids.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:34 pm

Big yella wrote:

Well at least he knows not to sign Matt Green, ‘Pep’ Yella.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:45 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

Actually, a discussion is an exchanging of views on a particular subject. There’s nothing in the rules say you must all come to a friendly compromise. If I think someone’s opinion is rubbish, and there are stats/facts to back it up, then of course I will respond. For example, someone on twitter today said we failed to get promoted last season because of our defence, when our defence was the best in the league. That was his opinion, but it’s a completely ludicrous opinion not supported by any stats.

I’ll add Stone to the list if it makes you a happy bunny.

Sorry for shouting Dave.

Not about making me a happy bunny, he has been brought in as a member of the first team squad but you had omitted him from your list because you didn't consider him a senior pro. That's opinion, not fact.

Seeing as you are so insistent on stats, here's one for you. You have made over 4300 posts in 4 1/2 years as a member on here. That's about 3 posts a day. Somebody likes the sound of their own voice, and that's a fact. ;)
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:53 pm

Member of messageboard posts on messageboard regularly. Hold the back page. It’s a big shame you’re not a more frequent poster with insight like that.

I have confidence in what I say if that’s what you mean, I’ll make no apologies for that.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:03 am

FarnieStag wrote:On paper our team looks very strong indeed. I'm far more optimistic than I was this time last year. Just hope we start on the front foot with two strikers, especially at home. We need to just go out and attack and let other teams worry about us, rather than adapting our game to counter the opposition. If we're going to lose let's lose 5-4! Fortune favours the brave

On paper Clownty fans thought thier team looked very strong last season. It was considering they were holding up 22 other teams at the end of it :lol:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:41 am

Its all looking very good so far esp with new strikers but we need to be cautious about what we can achieve and not get carried away in view of the last 2 seasons.
Also, if I can be frank and put down a heavy and slightly gloomy marker here, that quite a few of this current squad only needed 1 point from last game of the season which should have been very achievable.
So for me 100% support and very hopeful but urge extreme caution over expectations and some big big clubs to do battle with and with the likes of Bradford, Leyton Orient and Plymouth it wont be easy getting top 3 and play offs completely unthinkable for us as we can't handle that pressure cooker.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:45 am

tillydog123 wrote:Its all looking very good so far esp with new strikers but we need to be cautious about what we can achieve and not get carried away in view of the last 2 seasons Also if I can be frank and put down heavy marker here, when quite a few of this current squad only needed 1 point from last game of the season which should have been achievable.
So for me 100% support and very hopeful but urge extreme caution over expectations and some big big clubs to do battle with and with the Bradfords, Leyton Orients and Plymouths it wont be easy getting top 3 and play offs completely unthinkable for us.

Thanks for the reminder of that MK (did we have a shot) debacle Frank :D

Still have nightmares about it .
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:02 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:

But I didn’t say that I wanted us to sign Matt back did I. I sarcastically agreed with JohnnyH about preferring Green to Rose as a back up striker. That sarcasm was obviously well beyond your capabilities.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:06 am

Big yella wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:

But I didn’t say that I wanted us to sign Matt back did I. I sarcastically agreed with JohnnyH about preferring Green to Rose as a back up striker. That sarcasm was obviously well beyond your capabilities.

Again, just like shouting, sarcasm cannot be interpreted on a written forum without some sort of indication that it is sarcasm. When you just say 'definitely over Rose', that doesn't come over as sarcastic, especially given your dislike of Rose as a player.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:40 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:

Again, just like shouting, sarcasm cannot be interpreted on a written forum without some sort of indication that it is sarcasm. When you just say 'definitely over Rose', that doesn't come over as sarcastic, especially given your dislike of Rose as a player.

So already knowing I don’t rate Rose, working out the sarcasm was beyond your capabilities, like I said.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:42 am

That doesn’t make much sense, as knowing you don’t rate Rose makes it more likely that you weren’t be sarcastic.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:17 pm

Can anyone clarify what positions JD has said he wants to bring in? I know he said a right winger but did he say something last week about cover for full backs as well?
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:20 pm

lifestags wrote:Can anyone clarify what positions JD has said he wants to bring in? I know he said a right winger but did he say something last week about cover for full backs as well?

He has said 'wide areas' 'attackers (but not out an out strikers)' 'a midfielder who can play multiple positions'.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:16 pm

What players can people think of who we could potentially attract in said positions. Personally I’m hopeful Khan will have a good season too.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Sammythestag » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:28 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:What players can people think of who we could potentially attract in said positions. Personally I’m hopeful Khan will have a good season too.

Be good to take advantage of County's situation and snatch Enzio who has pace in abundance and hopefully can deliver with better players around him...

Can't remember if we have ever taken advantage by taking players from notts or the spirites before but remember getting mugged off for a paltry amount for Clucas the other year who has since been sold for silly money..
Sammythestag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:34 pm

Sammythestag wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:What players can people think of who we could potentially attract in said positions. Personally I’m hopeful Khan will have a good season too.

Be good to take advantage of County's situation and snatch Enzio who has pace in abundance and hopefully can deliver with better players around him...

Can't remember if we have ever taken advantage by taking players from notts or the spirites before but remember getting mugged off for a paltry amount for Clucas the other year who has since been sold for silly money..

I've heard he's a lazy git and not really a grafter, although we could probably offer pennies right now and they'd take it!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sammythestag » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:37 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Sammythestag wrote:

I've heard he's a lazy git and not really a grafter, although we could probably offer pennies right now and they'd take it!

Yeah I've heard similar but i imagine he's a player better suited to a promotion run in than a relegation battle
Sammythestag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:55 pm

Sammythestag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Sammythestag wrote:

Yeah I've heard similar but i imagine he's a player better suited to a promotion run in than a relegation battle

He could well be. He has potential.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:20 am

Sammythestag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Sammythestag wrote:

To win promotion arguably you graft harder than the chumps at the bottom do and Blodwyn's not a grafter. Coaster comes to mind .
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum