{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Andy Cook signs

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Andy Cook signs

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:14 pm

Saw enough of Ajose to think he would be worth a shot if we can get a full pre-season into him. Along with Jones, Turner and Tomlinson. I would welcome back Ajose and Jones. The problem we had was those players came to us having barely played 1st team football that season. We've signed cook. Cook, Davies, Ajose, Rose and Graham would be a good forward line for us.

What we need to realise is we had a promotion capable side last season. Injuries to key players and not having backup is what killed us. We lost Olejnik but Logan has proved a very capable backup. White got injured and we had nobody to play RWB, except for CJ but we had a mini injury crisis up front too so he was up there. That is what messed us up. Get in that backup and players to switch formations and we will be up there again.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:18 pm

Please god no on Jones. He cost us so many points.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:39 pm

Ajose and Jones are not good enough, we need better
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:02 pm

Stoney wrote:Please god no on Jones. He cost us so many points.

I honestly can’t believe anybody would want him back. After all those games I still couldn’t tell you an attribute where he excels. Means well but we can do better.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby FarnieStag » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:06 pm

Good old fashioned div 4 striker... big, tough, good in the air and happy to be a villain. He's the kind of player to finally help us get promoted. Fantastic start for JD.
FarnieStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Kenwood » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:24 pm

FarnieStag wrote:Good old fashioned div 4 striker... big, tough, good in the air and happy to be a villain. He's the kind of player to finally help us get promoted. Fantastic start for JD.

He’s definitely the type of player we missed, let’s hope we sign someone with genuine pace to play alongside him, especially if we have to sell CJ.

We also need 1 maybe 2 wide players who can deliver crosses from which someone like Cook will benefit
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby Chris M » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:29 pm

We don't often sign proven goalscorers of his calibre. Has to be one of the best since Jim Lumby or Steve Whitehall, or even Phil Stant.
Last edited by Chris M on Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby HughesyStag89 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:35 pm

xed feelings. Will miss and struggle to replace his goals but if he didn’t want to be here so be it. Would have thought he’d have got a L1 move. Didn’t like his attitude or how his presence seemingly resulted in hoof ball. Time for Flash to flourish.

Words from Walsall fans.. WELCOME ANDY COOK
HughesyStag89
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:37 pm

Hold up, I thought the general consensus was it was Logan's fault we dropped points? I thought Jones got forward well and defended well, his main issue was he couldn't transition between the 2 as quickly as white could. He played a handful of games at right back in league 1,with someone in front of him. Then he came here and needed to finish the season playing a far more physically demanding role and often he was going to be caught out on occasion.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby HughesyStag89 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:40 pm

He can settle here and hopefully we will help make him one of our own !! Anddyyy andyyy cooook andyyy andyyy coook
HughesyStag89
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:49 pm

BH_Stag wrote:

I honestly can’t believe anybody would want him back. After all those games I still couldn’t tell you an attribute where he excels. Means well but we can do better.

Oldham away was the perfect example of how poor he was, slow going forward and nuilfied any attacking threat soon as the ball went out to him and he was at fault for every single goal we conceded in that game. He'll end up in the conference
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:56 pm

Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:58 pm

Looks like a Richie Barker type striker, hope he’s half as good. Very pleased with this signing, need some pace up top now.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:13 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby tillydog123 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:19 pm

Looks like a very good addition but worrying about falling out with fans and some on here will hound him out if he fails to score after 5 or 6 games goalless
Welcome Mr Cook and u are very welcome
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Blackburn Stag » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:22 pm

Very encouraging signing. If we'd have signed him a season ago when he was obviously in big enough demand to go to a League 1 team after finishing National League Golden Boot, we'd have been delighted I think. The experience of a season in League 1 and doing a decent job of it in a struggling team in the meantime will surely only have made him an even better signing for us...
Blackburn Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Stoney » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:41 am

gazza1988 wrote:

Hold up, I thought the general consensus was it was Logan's fault we dropped points? I thought Jones got forward well and defended well, his main issue was he couldn't transition between the 2 as quickly as white could. He played a handful of games at right back in league 1,with someone in front of him. Then he came here and needed to finish the season playing a far more physically demanding role and often he was going to be caught out on occasion.

I don't care what the general consensus was.

My opinion is Jones cost us so many points and was one of the main reasons we lost out. If White never got injured we'd have been in league one
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:10 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Looks like a Richie Barker type striker, hope he’s half as good. Very pleased with this signing, need some pace up top now.

hope cooky is AS good as barker. 18 goals and no pens last term says he is. but i'll wait n see him play at BPA first.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby jpstags » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:34 am

One of the best bits fir me is that fans of his old clubs say he is aggressive, attacks the ball and is good in the air. What a refreshing change that will be, we've had to watch our girly forwards getting bullied for some time now.
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby AlanStag » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:17 am

gazza1988 wrote:

Jones is one of the worst players I've seen play for us in a long time, there was just simply no footballer there whatsoever.
Numerous attacking moves broke down as soon as the ball went to him, but he couldn't defend either!

Watch the Oldham game back and tell me you still would want him in the side next season, that wasn't just a one off either he was dreadful.
Flipflop had his usual post Christmas headloss and hung his hopes on CJ becoming a striker instead of going back to square 1 where CJ was the most natural replacement for Hadyn White.
As Stoney said, one of the factors why we're looking at league 2 next season and not league 1.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:35 am

I think Jones was average, and was put in a position he is not suited too at all, and was trying to replace a freak of nature athletic wise (in a good way) in Haydn White.

I think you lot are being harsh, he did okay.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:55 am

Hayden’s injury and his replacement are the main reason for us mucking up promotion. Second is Bobby’s injury due to the fact Logan’s distribution isn’t as quick. Logan did make some amazysaves though whereas Jones didn’t do anything really positive.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:02 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:Hayden’s injury and his replacement are the main reason for us mucking up promotion. Second is Bobby’s injury due to the fact Logan’s distribution isn’t as quick. Logan did make some amazysaves though whereas Jones didn’t do anything really positive.

Agreed.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby 88BenM » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:29 am

Stoney wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

I don't care what the general consensus was.

My opinion is Jones cost us so many points and was one of the main reasons we lost out. If White never got injured we'd have been in league one

Jones was abysmal. He was embarrassing to watch, he definitely cost us a ridiculous amount of points.

The general consensus Gazza, was that he is shíte and not even conference standard.
Last edited by 88BenM on Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby 88BenM » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:31 am

The signing of Cook is quality, some of his headed goals are phenomenal. I get the feeling he will be a player the opposition fans love to hate and he will wind them up when he bags.
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum