{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Evans gets a job at Gillingham

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Evans gets a job at Gillingham

Postby I am Spartacus » Fri May 24, 2019 3:15 pm

In the ‘How many players will evans sign before he gets the boot’ prize draw I will go for 17.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri May 24, 2019 4:40 pm

The same as at Peterborough - 23
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Fri May 24, 2019 4:41 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:Im not saying we won anything with Evans because obviously he left but does anyone think we would not have gone up under him either last season or this just finished as opposed to the failure of DF?

I cringed at everything about the guy and was ashamed at some of his antics and inter action with genuine minded fans but whether you hate him of not he has achieved success.

No, we were crap in his last few games and he knew it... He jumped ship after the coventry game because we weren't going to go up and it would of labelled him a failure

Or (more practically) he left because Peterborough offered him another job?
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby steiner » Fri May 24, 2019 6:02 pm

Yesterdays man, Porky and his arse licking lapdog wont even last till Xmas.
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby jpstags » Sat May 25, 2019 9:17 am

Sedgwick wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:Im not saying we won anything with Evans because obviously he left but does anyone think we would not have gone up under him either last season or this just finished as opposed to the failure of DF?

I cringed at everything about the guy and was ashamed at some of his antics and inter action with genuine minded fans but whether you hate him of not he has achieved success.

No, we were crap in his last few games and he knew it... He jumped ship after the coventry game because we weren't going to go up and it would of labelled him a failure

Stupid boy ! :roll: :roll:
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat May 25, 2019 9:37 am

Quite a few SE fan boys on this thread.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat May 25, 2019 9:56 am

MTFCMAD wrote:Quite a few SE fan boys on this thread.

Not a question of being a fan of Evans, just one of not rewriting history to suit an argument.

Evans may have been obnoxious & Flitcroft a nice guy, but at the end of the day both squandered a large chunk of JRs noneyand both ulitmateley achieved nothing.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby jpstags » Sat May 25, 2019 11:54 am

Sneag wrote:

Not a question of being a fan of Evans, just one of not rewriting history to suit an argument.

Evans may have been obnoxious & Flitcroft a nice guy, but at the end of the day both squandered a large chunk of JRs noneyand both ulitmateley achieved nothing.

Flitcroft a nice guy :shock: :shock: :shock: Some truly gullible folk on here.
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneag » Sat May 25, 2019 12:03 pm

jpstags wrote:
Sneag wrote:

Just quoting general perceptions JP calm down. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Sat May 25, 2019 12:41 pm

Evan's interview the guy is an absolute tool n this is from me who was over the moon when we captured his signature have you heard such vile bile that comes out of his mouth..... Spouting off he had 3 or 4 offers before deciding to take the Gills job (how unlucky are they) I came here with my Peterborough's n Rotherham side n their fans watched the type of football I'm going to bring on the front foot mixing it up.....

You really couldn't make it up with this guy Number 1 banana.

I hope the Stags get to play them in a cup game next season n we shove the score right up the fat lards arse...
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat May 25, 2019 8:23 pm

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun May 26, 2019 9:07 am

jpstags wrote:
Sneag wrote:

Why don't you just spill the beans ? All you do is post things without substance.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun May 26, 2019 12:19 pm

Sneag wrote:
Rob wrote:
StagsFan83 wrote:To answer the above, loathe him as we do, I have no doubt we would be a league one club now if he had stayed.

I do, we were not top 3 when he left and were about to embark on a very tough run of games. The blokes just a fraud, can't believe we still discuss his time here as if it was good, it wasn't. He'll fail at the Gills.

How very dare you call anyone a fraud. You'll upset Bella Lugosi.

Calling someone a fraud when they are one is acceptable. Evans is a fraud.
PS. Bella Lugosi’s dead.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun May 26, 2019 12:20 pm

Sneag wrote:

Like Corbyn’s role in NI then?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Sun May 26, 2019 12:44 pm

Bollotics
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby tuopolfpilf » Tue May 28, 2019 2:00 pm

Bellwhif.... BAUHAUS great song

I understand the hate for Evans, leaving after being on course for promotion, but just the same as players it's about ambition
Flitcrofft the nice guy but should we not hate him more for messing up 2 consecutive season's promotion?
And maybe long term loosing our best players
tuopolfpilf
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed May 29, 2019 12:25 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
jpstags wrote:
Sneag wrote:

Why don't you just spill the beans ? All you do is post things without substance.

Because the bean tin is empty, that's why :P

Both blew huge sums of money, and but for 1 goal against MK it could have been mission achieved for DF, so in my book he got far closer. I'd also argue perhaps 20% of DF's budget was hamstrung with unwanted players & long term injuries, where SE had far fewer worries (in fact i can't really remember many key players missing long term for SE apart from Mirfs? :? )

Maybe i'm being overly generous to DF, but i think he did 'more with less'
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:37 pm

Steve Evans Q&A tonight in Gillingham

Evans on Peterborough departure: “We lost our job when we were in the play-offs. The chairman was right - the home form was pretty poor. I’m still speaking to those players at the club.”

Evans on unifying fans: “Every club we’ve been to, there’s been a certain element of supporters that didn’t want us. The maximum we can do is give everything.

Evans on resources: “I’ve got no doubt there will be more investment in the team until we’re successful. We’ve been told we’ll be working on the same budget as last season.”

Raynor on performances at Priestfield: “It’s about intensity. It’s about teams coming to Priestfield and being worried about how we play and the hostile atmosphere. We do play a high pressing game - we’ll press from the front.” (True)

Evans on potentially replacing Eaves: “You sign certain players to score you goals. We’ve got a meeting with one player who is a goalscorer. We’ve got three or four strikers we want to join Hanlan and one of them is playing at an international level in Toulon.” (Yoann Arquinn, Jimmy Spencer, Lee Angol and Omari Sterling-James are all available.)

Raynor on giving youth players a chance: “They’ll all get opportunities. Mark Patterson is very excited about what’s coming through. Let’s hope they can push their way into the squad.” (Steve Evans and Paul Raynor did not play one youth team player at the Stags).

Evans on improving the squad: “Midfield is a key area. We felt sorry for Max [Ehmer] and Connor [Ogilvie] because teams could get at them willy nilly. We want a first team of around 20 or 21 players. I know enough managers to help us top it up.” (Steve Evans really means he normally signs at least 23 players per season including 10 midfield players).

Evans on contracted players: “I don’t think there’s any secret that the midfield needs improving. We’ve had three players in and told them that they don’t fit into our plans. If they decide to come back and fight, that’s their decision.” (Steve Evans - I will sign 23 players and then decide that most of the players signed by the previous manager are a lot better than my signings.)
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:06 pm

He comes out with same crap every club he goes to.

Wonder if the striker is Rose?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby tuopolfpilf » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:34 am

First signing...Jack Boneham keeper from Brentford
tuopolfpilf
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:36 am

tuopolfpilf wrote:First signing...Jack Boneham keeper from Brentford

Second signing.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:18 pm

tuopolfpilf wrote:First signing...Jack Boneham keeper from Brentford

Only 16 more signings to go...
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:41 am

It would have been nice to have had a Fans Forum Q&A with Steve Evans and Paul Raynor when he was at Field Mill. I think he only turned up for a corporate event.

The comments regarding working hard on the training ground are interesting bearing in mind that DF said that Steve Evans' players were not fit enough when he arrived and the feedback from the players last season that Steve Evans's training sessions were shorter than DF's sessions (Listen to the Bobby Olejnik podcast on D3D4).
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:20 am

Signing No 3 - Lee Hodson from Glasgow Rangers.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny Rotten » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:15 pm

I think my friends and fellow reporter(s) at KSN Football are going to be disappointed as to how this plays out.

A blog full of promise....
@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum