{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Thread not really about new signings

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby BH_Stag » Mon May 27, 2019 9:45 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:We're L2. There are countless areas of improvement to dwell on.

The midfield were, largely, fine. It's the attitude and the way played were sometimes questionable. Notts county, port Vale, Northampton away, for example.

Yes we need that 'spark' in the midfield, but we also need an enforcer, and wingers who can create, but mostly, I think this season we lost out because our threat was 1 man, sometimes 2 men. When that's the case it is much easier to nullify.

As much.as I agree we need to upgrade the team and the squad, the surgery isn't as major as I thought it would be. We have a good baseline to work from, if we apply ourselves properly.


Completely agree that we do not require major surgery and have a good basis to work from. Our midfield was ‘fine’ overall, but doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be looked at for a slight tweak to our rotation options as in the end we didn’t get over the line after we had been strong in that department up until later on in the season. If Bishop is going to tire a bit late on or Mellis isn’t quite at his best we need to deal with it a bit better next year in my opinion.

Agree that wide and forward areas should be the main focus though particularly with Walker leaving and sounds like Dempster is targeting those areas too.
BH_Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:21 am

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon May 27, 2019 10:54 pm

I don’t buy the “burnt out” rubbish folk are spouting. Out thought more than burnt out imo. Macca should have been fresh. Tomlinson is a young lad etc etc. Only Bish was over played for his age imo. If the others can’t cope with a game or sometimes two a week god help us!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2876
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Re: New signings

Postby bellwhiff » Tue May 28, 2019 6:18 am

Conker wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:Is Mellis just verbal at the moment.

Won't shed a tear for Tyler going elsewhere, although I feel that he actually owes us a promotion for.his.stipid red card and penalty miss, he's lightweight and I won't mourn his loss or begrudge his return.


Incredible, you could argue Walker had the biggest contribution out of any of the players.

Anyway I imagine he’s not coming back here, because believe it or not he’s way to good for us.

Agree. Amazing post.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
User avatar
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 13444
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby daddycool » Tue May 28, 2019 11:23 am

Kyle Bennett is available at Bristol rovers .Swndon want him but can not afford his wages,
daddycool
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1816
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:42 am

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby tuopolfpilf » Tue May 28, 2019 2:53 pm

CJ and Sweeney both leaving club ......
tuopolfpilf
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:40 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 28, 2019 2:55 pm

tuopolfpilf wrote:CJ and Sweeney both leaving club ......


Elaborate...
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4810
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby Kenwood » Tue May 28, 2019 3:04 pm

tuopolfpilf wrote:CJ and Sweeney both leaving club ......


CJ was always going to leave this summer, hopefully for a club record fee. If Sweeney goes I guess it will be for a decent fee considering he’s just signed. It would also possibly show Dempster favours a back 4, as I don’t think Sweeney gets into those two positions ahead of Pearce, Preston and possibly Turner?
Kenwood
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:23 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 28, 2019 3:07 pm

Kenwood wrote:
tuopolfpilf wrote:CJ and Sweeney both leaving club ......


CJ was always going to leave this summer, hopefully for a club record fee. If Sweeney goes I guess it will be for a decent fee considering he’s just signed. It would also possibly show Dempster favours a back 4, as I don’t think Sweeney gets into those two positions ahead of Pearce, Preston and possibly Turner?


Sweeney is better than Preston IMO, and should be selected ahead of Turner.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4810
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby Kenwood » Tue May 28, 2019 3:16 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Kenwood wrote:
tuopolfpilf wrote:CJ and Sweeney both leaving club ......


CJ was always going to leave this summer, hopefully for a club record fee. If Sweeney goes I guess it will be for a decent fee considering he’s just signed. It would also possibly show Dempster favours a back 4, as I don’t think Sweeney gets into those two positions ahead of Pearce, Preston and possibly Turner?


Sweeney is better than Preston IMO, and should be selected ahead of Turner.



Being a left sided CH I would also keep him.

However I can see Turner being a first choice (if he signs) possibly even captain? If he plays like he did in the playoff games nobody could argue with
that.
Kenwood
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:23 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 28, 2019 3:18 pm

Kenwood wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Kenwood wrote:
tuopolfpilf wrote:CJ and Sweeney both leaving club ......


CJ was always going to leave this summer, hopefully for a club record fee. If Sweeney goes I guess it will be for a decent fee considering he’s just signed. It would also possibly show Dempster favours a back 4, as I don’t think Sweeney gets into those two positions ahead of Pearce, Preston and possibly Turner?


Sweeney is better than Preston IMO, and should be selected ahead of Turner.



Being a left sided CH I would also keep him.

However I can see Turner being a first choice (if he signs) possibly even captain? If he plays like he did in the playoff games nobody could argue with
that.


I could. Sweeney has more potential than Turner in the long term. More of an asset and more chance of getting us a fee in the future.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4810
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby Spiritater » Tue May 28, 2019 3:20 pm

The lad was playing for a contract so will have busted a gut to do his best. If he gets a contract then will he be able to produce it week in week out or just go through the motions
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 19782
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby Kenwood » Tue May 28, 2019 3:23 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Kenwood wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Kenwood wrote:
tuopolfpilf wrote:CJ and Sweeney both leaving club ......


CJ was always going to leave this summer, hopefully for a club record fee. If Sweeney goes I guess it will be for a decent fee considering he’s just signed. It would also possibly show Dempster favours a back 4, as I don’t think Sweeney gets into those two positions ahead of Pearce, Preston and possibly Turner?


Sweeney is better than Preston IMO, and should be selected ahead of Turner.



Being a left sided CH I would also keep him.

However I can see Turner being a first choice (if he signs) possibly even captain? If he plays like he did in the playoff games nobody could argue with
that.


I could. Sweeney has more potential than Turner in the long term. More of an asset and more chance of getting us a fee in the future.


That fee may well have come now though??

Dempster could well be under instructions to finance your transfers from within the existing squad. CJ was always going to be the case, and hopefully he will get some if not all of the money to reinvest.

It could also all be a load of rubbish :D
Kenwood
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:23 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 28, 2019 3:27 pm

That's fine, but that's not what my point was regarding. You said Sweeney would be effectively 4th choice centre back.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4810
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue May 28, 2019 3:34 pm

Is there any substance or is it rumour that Sweeney is leaving?

I would be surprised and upset if true unless it were for a ridiculous fee. If not it could be seen as a sign of cutbacks which I don't think will happen.
Who are you calling pedantic? I resemble that remark!
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2281
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby Kenwood » Tue May 28, 2019 3:36 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:That's fine, but that's not what my point was regarding. You said Sweeney would be effectively 4th choice centre back.


No I said if Turner signs I can see him being a first choice CH and possibly even captain. Turner being mainly left footed that then only leaves a right sided CH to partner him. That would not be Sweeney

I guess you don’t always get offers for the players you want to get rid of, as Flitcroft found out.

If true this could be one way Dempster has to build the team he wants, which he has already said has got good defenders but needs wide and attacking players
Kenwood
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:23 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby James » Tue May 28, 2019 3:37 pm

In fairness, if we sign Turner and we go to a back four, we're a bit heavy at centre back.
I've got a Grapefruit matter...
James
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 906
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:23 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue May 28, 2019 3:38 pm

CJ is obviously going....
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
User avatar
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3257
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:23 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby spstag » Tue May 28, 2019 3:38 pm

Don’t get carried away, it’s s load of bull imo
Why would we state we are only tweaking the squad and adding
3-5 attacking players?

We then wouldn’t go selling players and starting a total rebuild,
Who ever posted the this rumour needs to state what’s his/her source.
spstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby Rob » Tue May 28, 2019 3:41 pm

Kenwood wrote:
It could also all be a load of rubbish :D


What do you mean "could" be a load of rubbish :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4512
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:33 am

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 28, 2019 3:44 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:CJ is obviously going....


The poster stated it as if they knew something that we didn't, hence how the debate started. We can all agree that it is likely he won't be here.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4810
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue May 28, 2019 3:46 pm

Sweeney going nowhere unless it's silly money.

He's on a wind up.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
User avatar
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3257
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:23 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue May 28, 2019 3:51 pm

Mixed feelings about CJ. Obviously he is weapon grade, but more often than not the weapon that fires the ammo goes wrong. On his day, unplayable at this level.

Hope he stays.

Sweeney, I think is the best defender we have with the ball. He is more composed and has a better touch and pass than the others.

Of course, everyone has their price, so we won't know if it's good business unless we find out the figures being paid, and of we can re-invest into the squad.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
User avatar
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3654
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby lifestags » Tue May 28, 2019 3:57 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Sweeney going nowhere unless it's silly money.

He's on a wind up.



He posted in Jan we had agreed a figure with someone from Leyton Orient..
lifestags
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1559
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:50 pm

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby Jimstag » Tue May 28, 2019 4:22 pm

With the best defensive record and players in the team if the year we are going to get lots of interest in our players this summer. The difference being that for many we don’t have to sell, so if we do I’d expect a decent fee. I have heard rumours from a credible source on a couple of players but at the moment they are only rumours.

Hopefully Dempster will be allowed to reinvest anything we make, time will tell but I could a couple leaving for a fee.
Jimstag
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 866
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:09 am

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby west country stag » Tue May 28, 2019 4:33 pm

CJ needs shipping out , overrated imo as he blows hot & cold ... & we can do better than him !
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
User avatar
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1071
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:32 am
Location: Penzance , Cornwall

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: adamr999, Bing [Bot], CassellsCap, HCurtis, Jamie, MTFCMusings, ParisStag, Stoney, Sweden Stag, teg41 and 44 guests