{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Thread not really about new signings

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: New signings

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 21, 2019 10:02 am

tillydog123 wrote:Striker Striker striker who can score goal needed, don't make same mistake as last 2 seasons although Walker did his bit we need a more proliflic one.

Rubbish. He was the 2nd top scorer in the league. All the teams that went up automatically didn't have a striker who was as prolific. The only team who did could still fail to secure promotion.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue May 21, 2019 10:31 am

tillydog123 wrote:Striker Striker striker who can score goal needed, don't make same mistake as last 2 seasons although Walker did his bit we need a more proliflic one.

I don't think it was through want of trying, was it?

Personally speaking, i don't consider 'not signing a top striker' as outright failure by management. Too many other factors muddy this aspect, even though it's seen as the manager who ultimately didn't deliver
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby stagone1959 » Tue May 21, 2019 11:30 am

Not enough goals from attacking midfield players,Mellis 3 league goals,got to be more goals from this area.In his defence though he didn't push forward enough,was this a management directive or was it because he couldn't be bothered.
stagone1959
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Foresttownstag » Tue May 21, 2019 1:51 pm

I say this every season when we have this meltdown about strikers. We need more goals from midfield, it’s as simple as that.

You do not need a 25 goal a season striker to be successful (obviously it helps).

Didn’t Burton Albion go up from League 1 not long back and only scored around 55 goals I think. They won 1-0 most weeks.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue May 21, 2019 2:47 pm

Foresttownstag wrote:I say this every season when we have this meltdown about strikers. We need more goals from midfield, it’s as simple as that.

You do not need a 25 goal a season striker to be successful (obviously it helps).

Didn’t Burton Albion go up from League 1 not long back and only scored around 55 goals I think. They won 1-0 most weeks.

you need to score goals from all over the pitch.. I don't think the back 5 really chipped in enough
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby DE STAG » Tue May 21, 2019 3:17 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:I say this every season when we have this meltdown about strikers. We need more goals from midfield, it’s as simple as that.

you need to score goals from all over the pitch.. I don't think the back 5 really chipped in enough

We didn't score anywhere near enough goals from set pieces and corners, those goals that you'd expect big centre halves to tuck away.
DE STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby tuopolfpilf » Tue May 21, 2019 3:45 pm

Hiram Boateng would be a quality signing, the legs for Bish and also complimented Mellis .
Unsure if the 5 signings include loanees
tuopolfpilf
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby ParisStag » Tue May 21, 2019 3:53 pm

tuopolfpilf wrote:Hiram Boateng would be a quality signing, the legs for Bish and also complimented Mellis .
Unsure if the 5 signings include loanees

Doubt we can get him. He'll go league 1.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue May 21, 2019 3:57 pm

I agree Edders, but that said i think we need 2 strikers of different physique/ilk who are capable of 15+ goals a season.

That said, a potent midfield open makes a striker's life easier by creating gaps and opportunities
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue May 21, 2019 6:06 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:

I agree Edders, but that said i think we need 2 strikers of different physique/ilk who are capable of 15+ goals a season.

That said, a potent midfield open makes a striker's life easier by creating gaps and opportunities

Twernt me, MOTC.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue May 21, 2019 6:23 pm

Yeah, but I need someone to blame Edders, and your name came up :P

Sorry chap
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed May 22, 2019 2:01 pm

1st new signing by Demps.

Jacob mellis

Reading between the lines Demps expects a lot more from Jacob next season.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed May 22, 2019 2:37 pm

Glad Mellis wants to be here as he is a league 1 player in reality and yes agree needs to put a lot more in next season and is an important player for us.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Wed May 22, 2019 2:39 pm

Is it officially confirmed?
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed May 22, 2019 2:42 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Glad Mellis wants to be here as he is a league 1 player in reality and yes agree needs to put a lot more in next season and is an important player for us.

Demps will get him further forward.. DF played him in the centre of the park with Bishop and whilst he was good he didn't do more of what hes really good at...
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed May 22, 2019 2:58 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
tillydog123 wrote:Glad Mellis wants to be here as he is a league 1 player in reality and yes agree needs to put a lot more in next season and is an important player for us.

Demps will get him further forward.. DF played him in the centre of the park with Bishop and whilst he was good he didn't do more of what hes really good at...

Not strictly true. By my calcs Mellis started 15 of 35 games as a 10 rather than an 8, so almost half.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby tibby » Wed May 22, 2019 3:24 pm

Unreal this place. What planet is Mellis a league 1 player? If he was, we would have gone up, automatically. He goes missing for large chunks of the game. The love in for him and the rest of the bottlers is bizarre. They are not good enough. We need to upgrade the midfield and the strikers or we are going nowhere. Tomlinson, not good enough. Mcdonald, not good enough. We need less ‘huffers and puffers’ and more quality players who can actually win us games.
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Waggy » Wed May 22, 2019 3:36 pm

tibby wrote:

Unreal this place. What planet is Mellis a league 1 player? If he was, we would have gone up, automatically. He goes missing for large chunks of the game. The love in for him and the rest of the bottlers is bizarre. They are not good enough. We need to upgrade the midfield and the strikers or we are going nowhere. Tomlinson, not good enough. Mcdonald, not good enough. We need less ‘huffers and puffers’ and more quality players who can actually win us games.

Thank god it's not just me that thinks this. Far too many show ponies for L2 who put in a performance when things are going well. When the chips are down, they go missing and that's why we didn't go up

Mellis
Hamilton
Walker
Ajose
Grant

all in that category
We need some steal!
And I don't feel any sorrow
Towards the kings and queens of the butterfly collectors
Waggy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed May 22, 2019 3:37 pm

tibby wrote:

Mellis provided many quality moments last year, you must have had your eyes shut. He is the most creative player currently on the books. He doesn't do it week in week out which is why he is playing in League Two.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Wed May 22, 2019 3:38 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Not strictly true. By my calcs Mellis started 15 of 35 games as a 10 rather than an 8, so almost half.

That looks about right, I much prefer Mellis as a no 10 but he’s got to improve goals and assist output to justify it. On his day he is up there with the best in L2, like many players with his skill at this level consistency is an issue but before people moan if he was consistent he wouldn’t be with us so we’ve got to hope he finds it next season.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed May 22, 2019 3:39 pm

Is Mellis just verbal at the moment.

Won't shed a tear for Tyler going elsewhere, although I feel that he actually owes us a promotion for.his.stipid red card and penalty miss, he's lightweight and I won't mourn his loss or begrudge his return.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed May 22, 2019 3:43 pm

When allowed to play as the main man, Mellis turns up. He's quieter when he plays further back.

You may say that attitude is a bit Mardy but he has produced some of our best football on a consistent basis when given his freedom to do so. Other teams don't like playing against him which is always a good yardstick. He also likes a bit of bargie, ask Fosterari.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed May 22, 2019 3:53 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Is Mellis just verbal at the moment.

Won't shed a tear for Tyler going elsewhere, although I feel that he actually owes us a promotion for.his.stipid red card and penalty miss, he's lightweight and I won't mourn his loss or begrudge his return.

Incredible, you could argue Walker had the biggest contribution out of any of the players.

Anyway I imagine he’s not coming back here, because believe it or not he’s way to good for us.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby tibby » Wed May 22, 2019 3:57 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
tibby wrote:

Mellis provided many quality moments last year, you must have had your eyes shut. He is the most creative player currently on the books. He doesn't do it week in week out which is why he is playing in League Two.

If mellis is the most creative player on our books, that is exactly the problem, right there. Just because he is the best of a bad bunch doesnt mean he is a fantastic player.

Average rating from Martin on match reports since New years day - 6.5.

Not good enough

Take your rose tinted glasses off.

On a side note, if Hamiton is as good as everyone makes out and West Brom want him, he should have dragged us over the line. Simple as that. Too many players with big reputations that didnt perform for large parts of the season.

If we dont have an offensive clear out, I will put money on us not making play offs next season.
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed May 22, 2019 4:05 pm

tibby wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
tibby wrote:

If mellis is the most creative player on our books, that is exactly the problem, right there. Just because he is the best of a bad bunch doesnt mean he is a fantastic player.

Average rating from Martin on match reports since New years day - 6.5.

Not good enough

Take your rose tinted glasses off.

On a side note, if Hamiton is as good as everyone makes out and West Brom want him, he should have dragged us over the line. Simple as that. Too many players with big reputations that didnt perform for large parts of the season.

If we dont have an offensive clear out, I will put money on us not making play offs next season.

you'll be disappointed because Dempster said this job is not a rebuild. he said we have quality players at the club and is looking to add to that
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum