{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Thread not really about new signings

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: New signings

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed May 22, 2019 4:10 pm

Mellis has a period mid season was he was just unstoppable, let’s hope he can regain that form
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby tibby » Wed May 22, 2019 4:12 pm

I follow mansfield, being dissapointed is part of the job

If a better player on similair wages is on offer, you think he wont chop players? Come on
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Conker » Wed May 22, 2019 4:13 pm

Mellis is the only midfielder we had (bar the 3 good games Grant had) that was able to create something easily in the oppositions half after Elsnik left - He does need to contribute more goals mind.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed May 22, 2019 4:16 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
tibby wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
tibby wrote:
tillydog123 wrote:Glad Mellis wants to be here as he is a league 1 player in reality and yes agree needs to put a lot more in next season and is an important player for us.

Unreal this place. What planet is Mellis a league 1 player? If he was, we would have gone up, automatically. He goes missing for large chunks of the game. The love in for him and the rest of the bottlers is bizarre. They are not good enough. We need to upgrade the midfield and the strikers or we are going nowhere. Tomlinson, not good enough. Mcdonald, not good enough. We need less ‘huffers and puffers’ and more quality players who can actually win us games.

Mellis provided many quality moments last year, you must have had your eyes shut. He is the most creative player currently on the books. He doesn't do it week in week out which is why he is playing in League Two.

If mellis is the most creative player on our books, that is exactly the problem, right there. Just because he is the best of a bad bunch doesnt mean he is a fantastic player.

Average rating from Martin on match reports since New years day - 6.5.

Not good enough

Take your rose tinted glasses off.

On a side note, if Hamiton is as good as everyone makes out and West Brom want him, he should have dragged us over the line. Simple as that. Too many players with big reputations that didnt perform for large parts of the season.

If we dont have an offensive clear out, I will put money on us not making play offs next season.

you'll be disappointed because Dempster said this job is not a rebuild. he said we have quality players at the club and is looking to add to that

And he's right. Better mental prep and we'd have gone up. They are good enough. CJ can still improve, as can others. I think there's something to be said for keeping a group together as much as possible. Add a bit more quality and this side will be slightly better on paper. Add better mental preparation and we'll be a top 3 side easily.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed May 22, 2019 4:19 pm

Conker wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:Is Mellis just verbal at the moment.

Won't shed a tear for Tyler going elsewhere, although I feel that he actually owes us a promotion for.his.stipid red card and penalty miss, he's lightweight and I won't mourn his loss or begrudge his return.

Incredible, you could argue Walker had the biggest contribution out of any of the players.

Anyway I imagine he’s not coming back here, because believe it or not he’s way to good for us.

He's fast but not powerful. Just a bit whispy.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed May 22, 2019 4:21 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
Conker wrote:

Won't shed a tear for Tyler going elsewhere, although I feel that he actually owes us a promotion for.his.stipid red card and penalty miss, he's lightweight and I won't mourn his loss or begrudge his return.

Incredible, you could argue Walker had the biggest contribution out of any of the players.

Anyway I imagine he’s not coming back here, because believe it or not he’s way to good for us.

He's fast but not powerful. Just a bit whispy.

I don’t think he’s particularly fast or powerful, he was brilliant at holding the ball by the end of the season mind and had a good knack for scoring late on.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby tibby » Wed May 22, 2019 6:53 pm

Am i right in thinking Mcdonald and Mellis have been here 2 seasons? What makes anyone think they will improve? They have been key parts of a team of failures.

There isnt many of our non-loanees that wouldn have handled the step up to league 2.

A trio of Tomlinson Mellis and Mcdonald in league 1? No chance
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed May 22, 2019 6:55 pm

tibby wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
tibby wrote:
tillydog123 wrote:Glad Mellis wants to be here as he is a league 1 player in reality and yes agree needs to put a lot more in next season and is an important player for us.

Unreal this place. What planet is Mellis a league 1 player? If he was, we would have gone up, automatically. He goes missing for large chunks of the game. The love in for him and the rest of the bottlers is bizarre. They are not good enough. We need to upgrade the midfield and the strikers or we are going nowhere. Tomlinson, not good enough. Mcdonald, not good enough. We need less ‘huffers and puffers’ and more quality players who can actually win us games.

Mellis provided many quality moments last year, you must have had your eyes shut. He is the most creative player currently on the books. He doesn't do it week in week out which is why he is playing in League Two.

If mellis is the most creative player on our books, that is exactly the problem, right there. Just because he is the best of a bad bunch doesnt mean he is a fantastic player.

Average rating from Martin on match reports since New years day - 6.5.

Not good enough

Take your rose tinted glasses off.

On a side note, if Hamiton is as good as everyone makes out and West Brom want him, he should have dragged us over the line. Simple as that. Too many players with big reputations that didnt perform for large parts of the season.

If we dont have an offensive clear out, I will put money on us not making play offs next season.

Rubbish. We were one game from promotion. One player doesn’t make a team.

Sam Clucas played premier league football. Did he drag us up? Did he drag Chesterfield up? CJ would only be going up to the Championship. So there’s your warped logic out the window.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed May 22, 2019 6:58 pm

tibby wrote:Am i right in thinking Mcdonald and Mellis have been here 2 seasons? What makes anyone think they will improve? They have been key parts of a team of failures.

There isnt many of our non-loanees that wouldn have handled the step up to league 2.

Also rubbish.

The whole defence.

Olejnik.

Bishop, Mellis, CJ

Would all have been fine. It’s League One not the Champions League.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed May 22, 2019 7:12 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
tibby wrote:Am i right in thinking Mcdonald and Mellis have been here 2 seasons? What makes anyone think they will improve? They have been key parts of a team of failures.

Also rubbish.

The whole defence.

Olejnik.

Bishop, Mellis, CJ

Would all have been fine. It’s League One not the Champions League.

didn't mellis play for bury and Barnsley in league one too?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Wed May 22, 2019 7:17 pm

Mellis would get in any team in this league. He’s better than most people give him credit for.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed May 22, 2019 7:19 pm

I honestly believe some posters on here would be better off watching a different sport,maybe one they understand.....
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby tibby » Wed May 22, 2019 7:30 pm

Its all about opinions. With the reported budget we have, we should have better options and a better nucleus of players than we currently have. Dont really see where the improvement is going tomcome from. Performances cant drop anymore in reality, but crowds certainly can, and they will.

Why is Mellis now in league 2? If he was good enough for league 1 he wouldnt have signed a new contract.

Just because I dont agree with the rose tinted love in of players who averaged a 6.5 since new years day, doesnt mean I dont know anything about football.

Its worrying that people think that such a vital piece of the jigsaw, in a promotion chasing team is OK turning out 6.5 out of 10 performances. He is not the answer, and there must be better out there within our budget

In my opinion, Mcdonald Mellis and Tomlinson would not get in a league 1 side, hence why they are here.

But dont worry, stick ya rose tinted glasses on and just disagree, like most did when I dared to say Jack Thomas wasn’t good enough.

Its only football, dont worry about it.
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Vice President » Wed May 22, 2019 7:33 pm

I agree regarding Macca and Tomlinson.
Mellis is ok, but his stats for the season are not good and Grant is a better player. It is a shame that DF didn't play Grant for those last few games ... we might have got that all important goal that the likes of Macca & Mellis couldn't produce or contribute to.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby tibby » Wed May 22, 2019 7:56 pm

Grant certainly had more in his locker than the mentioned 3, just couldnt produce it consistently. Maybe a man management issue.

I think he will carve himself a good career in the game.
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Wed May 22, 2019 8:13 pm

Bit harsh to single out Macca who's been injured a fair bit of the season and rushed back - At times it showed. Also unfair to single out Tomlinson who hasn't even got a proper pre-season under his belt and I think he will be the natural replacement for Bishop as he learns his trade I expect big things from him this year.

You ain't gonna get the best out of players when they are square pegs going into round holes, some of which was through Flitcrofts tactics. You simply can't flood the midfield with Bishop, Tomlinson, Macca and Mellis. It's exactly why Dempster is looking at the wings as alternative outlets for attacking football our only option is CJ (when played in that position) and likely to move on in the summer anyway.

Either way we may need to freshen up certain positions on the pitch namely our attacking threat.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby tibby » Wed May 22, 2019 8:33 pm

Thats my point. We have Mcdonald who was a long term casualty and Tomlinson who seemingly wasn’t fit or is bad. Why? Was the budget not there, or simply wasted?

Grant was a lazy signing, as was the goalie.

It all seems poorly put together in hindsight. Bishop, oldest player im the side by some way, is the most reliable midfielder out of the whole lot of them. Speaks volumes.

Love to see 4-4-2 but Mellis would be further exposed. He doesnt seem comfortable getting up and down the field to me and seems to have very little fight.
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby PaulG » Wed May 22, 2019 9:06 pm

Tibby, if Mellis, Tomlinson and McDonald are here because they aren't good enough to play at League 1 level, doesn't that apply to anyone who signs for us? Surely, managers can improve players, and can improve combinations of players? If they can't, then what's their function? JD may know these players well enough to know that he can get more out of them. Or maybe he just hopes he can! Time will tell.
PaulG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed May 22, 2019 9:28 pm

Until he joined us Mellis, had not played at League Two or lower (171 games at L1 or above)

Macca has played 33 games in League One. I don't think he would be a starter but certainly a good squad player for L1

Tomlinson is 21 years old.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed May 22, 2019 10:05 pm

tibby wrote:Thats my point. We have Mcdonald who was a long term casualty and Tomlinson who seemingly wasn’t fit or is bad. Why? Was the budget not there, or simply wasted?

Grant was a lazy signing, as was the goalie.

It all seems poorly put together in hindsight. Bishop, oldest player im the side by some way, is the most reliable midfielder out of the whole lot of them. Speaks volumes.

Love to see 4-4-2 but Mellis would be further exposed. He doesnt seem comfortable getting up and down the field to me and seems to have very little fight.

Bit of a myth in my opinion. I’ve seen a few people say he doesn’t put effort in so I’ve made a point of watching that side of his game and I don’t feel it’s fair. I think there is a common misconception that just because a player is good technically they don’t work hard and i don’t really agree. Personally feel Mellis’ effort levels are good and hopefully we can get him in the kind of form he was in mid season (like most of the side). He doesn’t run round like mad such as Bishop or Macca... but neither of those pass the ball like Mellis. They even themselves out but to say he has ‘little fight’ is off the mark for me and I really hope he does sign.

arsene wengers coat wrote:
Conker wrote:

Unbelievable!! The only 20+ goal striker we’ve had since we’ve come back up and you’re not bothered we won’t have him next season? Strange. He’s come on leaps and bounds since he joined and turned in to a very good player at this level. Second top scorer in the league says it all, and his service since the end of Jan has left much to be desired! We’ve been trying to sign a top striker ever since we came up and he’s the only one we’ve found.. they’re hard to come by.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed May 22, 2019 10:16 pm

Good point BH. You don't see many people saying 'Bish is brilliant at winning the ball but he doesn't play enough defence splitting passes'.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Wed May 22, 2019 10:20 pm

Vice President wrote:

I agree regarding Macca and Tomlinson.
Mellis is ok, but his stats for the season are not good and Grant is a better player. It is a shame that DF didn't play Grant for those last few games ... we might have got that all important goal that the likes of Macca & Mellis couldn't produce or contribute to.

Mellis finished on 10 assists which is more than anyone else.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby grufti » Wed May 22, 2019 10:31 pm

This 'New signings' thread has nothing to do with new signings
Up The Stags
grufti
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu May 23, 2019 6:31 am

tibby wrote:Grant certainly had more in his locker than the mentioned 3, just couldnt produce it consistently. Maybe a man management issue.

I think he will carve himself a good career in the game.

He will if he grows a backbone any time soon.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu May 23, 2019 6:39 am

grufti wrote:This 'New signings' thread has nothing to do with new signings

Give it chance, patience, patience.
Theirs not to reason why