{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Thread not really about new signings

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: New signings

Postby tibby » Thu May 23, 2019 6:42 am

lifestags wrote:
Vice President wrote:
tibby wrote:Am i right in thinking Mcdonald and Mellis have been here 2 seasons? What makes anyone think they will improve? They have been key parts of a team of failures.

There isnt many of our non-loanees that wouldn have handled the step up to league 2.

A trio of Tomlinson Mellis and Mcdonald in league 1? No chance

I agree regarding Macca and Tomlinson.
Mellis is ok, but his stats for the season are not good and Grant is a better player. It is a shame that DF didn't play Grant for those last few games ... we might have got that all important goal that the likes of Macca & Mellis couldn't produce or contribute to.

Mellis finished on 10 assists which is more than anyone else.

Granted, we have gone off track, so I will leave it at this.

Mellis has more assists than anyone else. 10. We need better.
tibby
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Thread not really about new signings

Postby ParisStag » Thu May 23, 2019 8:36 am

Mellis has improved since he's been here. He showed flashes of promise in his first season, but was more effective this season. I don't see any reason why another season with the same players won't help him to improve further. With the right midfield partners, he'll be one of the best creative midfielders in the league.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:17 am

Macca agree was not at his best but does bring a lot of energy into the team and this needs developing into an end product more.... Tomlinson is still untested in a long run in the team in my view and did seem to be in and out a bit.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu May 23, 2019 9:43 am

What we need is a midfielder who is tenacious in the style of Jamie McGuire ( but with a bit more skill ). Sorry Jammo.

If we had someone towards the end of last season with Jamie's grit and determination we would have easily picked up the one or two points that left us short.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Thu May 23, 2019 9:43 am

Love it when people say 'if he was that good, he'd be in League 1' or 'if he was that good WE would be in League 1'. Lazy analysis to drive a flimsy viewpoint. No opinion is substantiated with a comment like that.

As someone has already said, Mellis would walk into most top sides in our league, and in League 1 also. We are far better with him than without him. But let's all sign a team of Neal Bishops 'cos they win loads headers and that is splendid :D
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby BH_Stag » Thu May 23, 2019 9:53 am

Amber Andy wrote:What we need is a midfielder who is tenacious in the style of Jamie McGuire ( but with a bit more skill ). Sorry Jammo.

If we had someone towards the end of last season with Jamie's grit and determination we would have easily picked up the one or two points that left us short.

Isn’t Bishop supposed to be that midfielder for us? We need to go the other way a bit for me. Bishop, Macca and Tomlinson are all workmanlike but don’t really calm us down and get us playing. There’s got to be some balance to the midfield. If you have Bishop and another McGuire type player there wouldn’t be enough quality on the ball in my opinion. Mellis and another technical midfielder to go with the 3 we have would benefit the squad more.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Thu May 23, 2019 9:58 am

WVStag wrote:Love it when people say 'if he was that good, he'd be in League 1' or 'if he was that good WE would be in League 1'. Lazy analysis to drive a flimsy viewpoint. No opinion is substantiated with a comment like that.

As someone has already said, Mellis would walk into most top sides in our league, and in League 1 also. We are far better with him than without him. But let's all sign a team of Neal Bishops 'cos they win loads headers and that is splendid :D

Fishing with the first point?

I agree with the second point though, you need a balance in a team. Just read what Cantona said about Deschamps or more recently the role Kante played before Sarri came in. He did one job very well which let flair players do theirs, one without the other causes problems.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Thu May 23, 2019 10:14 am

Amber Andy wrote:What we need is a midfielder who is tenacious in the style of Jamie McGuire ( but with a bit more skill ). Sorry Jammo.

Disagree, we had Macca/Bish/Tomlinson!

Our main issue is lack of creativity. Walker was isolated for the majority of the MK dons game.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Re: New signings

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Thu May 23, 2019 12:30 pm

tibby wrote:Thats my point. We have Mcdonald who was a long term casualty and Tomlinson who seemingly wasn’t fit or is bad. Why? Was the budget not there, or simply wasted?

Grant was a lazy signing, as was the goalie.

It all seems poorly put together in hindsight. Bishop, oldest player im the side by some way, is the most reliable midfielder out of the whole lot of them. Speaks volumes.

Love to see 4-4-2 but Mellis would be further exposed. He doesnt seem comfortable getting up and down the field to me and seems to have very little fight.

A minute ago you were asking why McDonald hadn't improved - well maybe there's your answer? ;)

Mellis also improved massively from the uncoordinated mess he was under Evans (though i agree i'm expecting more of him this season) & Tommo was one of the better midfield battlers, imo. You also say if Mellis was good enough for L1 he would sign to a club at that level in an instant. If that were true in football there'd only be L2 players at our level, so why be shocked at us having some?

Grant was instrumental in County's success, so hardly a lazy signing given his record at L2. As for Smith, what perhaps were you expecting?

Perhaps your FIFA 2019 stags team has skewed your perception bud ;)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu May 23, 2019 1:45 pm

BH_Stag wrote:

Isn’t Bishop supposed to be that midfielder for us? We need to go the other way a bit for me. Bishop, Macca and Tomlinson are all workmanlike but don’t really calm us down and get us playing. There’s got to be some balance to the midfield. If you have Bishop and another McGuire type player there wouldn’t be enough quality on the ball in my opinion. Mellis and another technical midfielder to go with the 3 we have would benefit the squad more.

I agree with BH Stag. We need another creative attacking midfield player who can also score a few goals e.g. Jamie Devitt, Tommy Rowe
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Thu May 23, 2019 2:49 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

I agree with BH Stag. We need another creative attacking midfield player who can also score a few goals e.g. Jamie Devitt, Tommy Rowe

I'd be hoping that person is Otis Khan
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri May 24, 2019 2:35 pm

Have we lined up any signings yet? Usually good to get them in early.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri May 24, 2019 6:29 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:

Our main issue is lack of creativity. Walker was isolated for the majority of the MK dons game.
We had the skilful midfielders, what we lacked was the win at all cost midfielder. The guy who is snapping at your heals all the time, and doesn't give the opposition time to settle on the ball. Macca, Tomlinson, and although Bishop was the nearest to this type of player, they did not have the tenacity and the will to win of someone like McGuire. For the older fans, Gary Tallon was another example of this type of player. I think that's one of the reasons we failed to win against the poorer sides.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Fri May 24, 2019 8:05 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:

We had the skilful midfielders, what we lacked was the win at all cost midfielder. The guy who is snapping at your heals all the time, and doesn't give the opposition time to settle on the ball. Macca, Tomlinson, and although Bishop was the nearest to this type of player, they did not have the tenacity and the will to win of someone like McGuire. For the older fans, Gary Tallon was another example of this type of player. I think that's one of the reasons we failed to win against the poorer sides.

I disagree completely.

Macca and definitely Bishop are more than on par with what jamma could produce.
Last edited by MTFCMAD on Fri May 24, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri May 24, 2019 9:35 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:

Andy please please tell me you're not saying we would have been promoted if we had Jamie McGuire in the midfield this season?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun May 26, 2019 8:23 pm

Mansfield Town have enquired about signing Bristol City striker Mo Eisa on loan. #stags #BristolCity

by @exagentdave although I'm sure Martin has rubbished this account
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sun May 26, 2019 8:32 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Mansfield Town have enquired about signing Bristol City striker Mo Eisa on loan. #stags #BristolCity

by @exagentdave although I'm sure Martin has rubbished this account

Yes has been dismissed previously.

Although has Salford allegedly in for Jorge Grant.

Don't think he'd go personally, although may indicate Salford plan to buy the league as expected.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun May 26, 2019 8:59 pm

Salford are worse than forest green.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sun May 26, 2019 11:58 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:

I wouldn’t call Macca a ‘skilful midfielder’ and Bishop/Tomlinson are only in the side to do what you described (Bishop slowed down towards the end so couldn’t do it and Tomlinson looked unfit to do it)

The basic facts are, the second half of the season cost us big time and that part of the season we bypassed the midfield, teams worked us out and the January signings never lived up to expectations. A Jamie McGuire type player wouldn’t have changed the above!
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon May 27, 2019 5:09 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:

Andy please please tell me you're not saying we would have been promoted if we had Jamie McGuire in the midfield this season?

I think we missed that type of player in our squad, someone who could battle. A player in that mould would have helped in games against the lower sides such as Newport and Yeovil. Someone like Perkins or maybe Ladabie. Bishop did it to a certain extent but ran out of steam, when needed in the important end of season games. We had no one to replace him. I think that was a weakness in our squad just as much as not having a physical presence up front to replace the injured Davies. These two omissions, to my mind, need to be added to next season's squad.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Mon May 27, 2019 9:19 am

Good points Amber A
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Mon May 27, 2019 12:13 pm

Amber A I said the same thing about Bish the season went on to long for him. As much Bish was the spine of the team n lead by example DF didn't take care of him by giving him a rest or had a back up player to help with the load of a solid backbone in midfield.

Like many Bish just ran out of steam st the crucial part of the season...
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Berryhillstagno1 » Mon May 27, 2019 5:38 pm

I think Amber A and SINA Stag are absolutely spot on. I personally think that the players were burnt out and the early energy we had to throttle other midfields had left us. We looked leggy and rudderless around the Carlisle game and never really recovered. Was squad too small, the injuries not replaced like for like or the training too intense for too long. Opinions as we struggled to beat teams we should have won at a canter especially at home.
Berryhillstagno1
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby BH_Stag » Mon May 27, 2019 7:59 pm

What we do with the midfield will be an interesting one. We need something extra in there, but we could end up with having too many CM’s.

As I mentioned I think we need another midfielder that is comfortable on the ball and wants to dictate play. Out of all the midfielders I’d say only Mellis is genuinely calm on the ball... if he isn’t on form (it’s L2, it happens) then as a team we barely play any football. We need another CM in the squad who is technically very good for this level.

I also agree with points above that towards the end of the season Bishop did run out of steam and we didn’t have a replacement that could do his job well enough basically, so yes we probably do need another player of that ilk too, particularly with Bishop being another year older. We don’t want to be limping through to the end of the season again.

I think Macca and Tomlinson are both fine squad players but did Macca get us playing enough when we needed him to? And did Tomlinson fill in ‘Bish’ role well enough when required? Perhaps some slack can be given with Macca having had a big injury and Tomlinson a young lad but all questions Dempster should be asking himself as I don’t think we got enough out of the midfield last few months.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon May 27, 2019 8:23 pm

We're L2. There are countless areas of improvement to dwell on.

The midfield were, largely, fine. It's the attitude and the way played were sometimes questionable. Notts county, port Vale, Northampton away, for example.

Yes we need that 'spark' in the midfield, but we also need an enforcer, and wingers who can create, but mostly, I think this season we lost out because our threat was 1 man, sometimes 2 men. When that's the case it is much easier to nullify.

As much.as I agree we need to upgrade the team and the squad, the surgery isn't as major as I thought it would be. We have a good baseline to work from, if we apply ourselves properly.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum