{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Ungrateful fans

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Ungrateful fans

Postby Binghamstag » Tue May 14, 2019 11:24 pm

Most of you struggle to look back at MTFC history

under Haslam we had nothing, even at one point no ground yet cos Our board had decided to end flitcroft contract you are all up.in arms. Let's bring up the Post notts county thread away game to see how most of are you are feeling re flitcroft or mk Don's away double standards.

The guy failed and its simple it was promotion or he was gone.
Binghamstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Re: Ungrateful fans

Postby spstag » Wed May 15, 2019 2:43 am

Totally agree,
Flitcroft was told “ give us what I’m giving you” every chance to win promotion.. Radford backed up this with a huge budget and the tools,
He failed.

Answer this question ...
Notts county - port vale - Northampton- Oldham - Stevenage- mk- Newport

All recent performances of not only we lost .. the football was absolutely terrible,
Sorry .. JR has only done what was expected.. he failed his task and he had to go,
Those of you who that are overthinking saying “cheap option “ budget cuts” etc are deluded.
We will be going for promotion that I can say .
spstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Old amber » Wed May 15, 2019 4:29 am

Don’t thinks it’s being ungrateful.. more like dissapointment and frustration ,when you get two clear chances of automatic promotion and fail in the play offs.. and having the managers that have also failed.. what do you expect
But yes we have to move on... get behind the team .. and hopefully press for promotion next term.
Old amber
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sneag » Wed May 15, 2019 4:59 am

It's not being ungrateful, it's just people who had been telling everyone who didn't trust Flitcroft that they were an idiot suddenly being told that JR didn't trust him either!!

It a bit of a mindfuck for them so, it HAS to be because the budget is cut or JR losing interest etc etc. They still can't grasp the idea that finishing 4th can be deemed as a failure, if the resourse you have demands better.

Personally I prefer appointments like JD. A young coach with something to prove over an 'experienced' manager with numerous failures on their CV.

JR appoints new bosses fairly quickly as a rule, which indicates to me that he doesn't do knee jerk reactions. Wasn't the Youth set up boosted a couple of months back with the appointment of Jack Thomas to the coaching staff? Maybe Flitcroft was skating on thin ice long before the April/May choke.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed May 15, 2019 5:18 am

Ungrateful no. Disappointment yes.

Disappointment at the sacking of a manager who cared about the club, got us within a whisker of promotion and with one more transfer window would have got rid of the final members of SE expensive team.

Disappointed at going back to the cheaper option of a rookie manager and all that entails. Fear of more disappointment when the new managers back up team is announced.

Also disappointment of potential smaller crowds after this season's increase (which has been so hard to achieve over the years).

I text a friend about the decision and his reaction, what idiot made that decision. Thing is most of our rivals fans are saying the same. "Bad decision, they will struggle next year".

I will, as ever, back JR, the new manager and the team, but the disappointment of moving backwards after being so close is deep.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Wed May 15, 2019 5:35 am

spstag wrote:Totally agree,
Flitcroft was told “ give us what I’m giving you” every chance to win promotion.. Radford backed up this with a huge budget and the tools,
He failed.

Answer this question ...

All recent performances of not only we lost .. the football was absolutely terrible,
Sorry .. JR has only done what was expected.. he failed his task and he had to go,
Those of you who that are overthinking saying “cheap option “ budget cuts” etc are deluded.

You can add Yeovil to that list I think were the only team they beat this year n that was away.....

Looking back at this year alone

January played 7 Won 3 Drew 1 Lost 2 10 Points
February Played 4 Won 2 Drew 0 Lost 2 6 Points
March Played 6 Won 2 Drew 2 Lost 2 8 Points
April Played 5 Won 2 Drew 1 Lost 2 7 Points
May Played 3 Won 0 Drew 2 Lost 1 0 Points
(PO Included)

Max Total of Points 2019 = 69 Achieved 31 = 44.9%

On the Form league in 2019 Stags had 2 points more than County........

This is why JR as said Goodbye to DF Figures above say it all.....
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed May 15, 2019 5:38 am

Amber Andy wrote:Ungrateful no. Disappointment yes.

Disappointment at the sacking of a manager who cared about the club, got us within a whisker of promotion and with one more transfer window would have got rid of the final members of SE expensive team.

Disappointed at going back to the cheaper option of a rookie manager and all that entails. Fear of more disappointment when the new managers back up team is announced.

Also disappointment of potential smaller crowds after this season's increase (which has been so hard to achieve over the years).

I text a friend about the decision and his reaction, what idiot made that decision. Thing is most of our rivals fans are saying the same. "Bad decision, they will struggle next year".

I will, as ever, back JR, the new manager and the team, but the disappointment of moving backwards after being so close is deep.

Thanks. Saved me having to type it.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Wed May 15, 2019 6:30 am

I was surprised by the sacking ,as i thought JR would give flitcroft at least until november if things went well ,but when i see the appointment of JD,i am genuinly excited ,we could have just gone for another experienced manager ,but 2 have not delivered for us ,john dempster knows the club inside out and obviously has the radfords trust ,thats good enough for me ,just hope he has a promotion budget ,a few additions will be enough ,onwards and upwards
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:32 am

SINA STAG wrote:
spstag wrote:Totally agree,
He failed.

Answer this question ...

^^^^^ this says it all ^^^^^

I cannot wait for the retained list coming out as I believe this may answer a lot of questions and also who we go for in the preseason.

Get ready for Nother ride on the Mansfield town roller coaster

You can add Yeovil to that list I think were the only team they beat this year n that was away.....

Looking back at this year alone

January played 7 Won 3 Drew 1 Lost 2 10 Points
February Played 4 Won 2 Drew 0 Lost 2 6 Points
March Played 6 Won 2 Drew 2 Lost 2 8 Points
April Played 5 Won 2 Drew 1 Lost 2 7 Points
May Played 3 Won 0 Drew 2 Lost 1 0 Points
(PO Included)

Max Total of Points 2019 = 69 Achieved 31 = 44.9%

On the Form league in 2019 Stags had 2 points more than County........

This is why JR as said Goodbye to DF Figures above say it all.....
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby hucknallstag » Wed May 15, 2019 6:34 am

Shocked to see flitcroft sacked.... Not in the slightest, he failed, its as simple as that, disappointed to have seen the youth team coach appointed.... Very much so, not the slightest chance of improvement, won't get the respect of senior players or have the know how to sign the right players, a massive step in the wrong direction
hucknallstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Stags 2002 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:47 am

The stats and form speak for themselves we have been extremely poor and DF deserved to be given the boot.

County fans are drawing comparison to themselves but saying we're doing it 5 games earlier.

I agree its a similar path at the moment but I also think JR has seen what happened to county and has acted accordingly to give a new manager a summer to bring in his players.

Their form back end of the year was similar to ours and they limped into the play-offs that continued the next season despite Nolan investing heavily in the team - if Flitcrofts lost the dressing room then whats the point of giving him a budget to blow only to find we go down the same path as County?

I'm happy DF has now gone, the back end of the season was like watching a slow dying relative, its hurts and there's nothing you can do to stop it. He said after every terrible game it wouldn't be repeated yet we got the same performance the week after with the odd exception and another interview saying it wouldn't happen again.

I look forward to the new era.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed May 15, 2019 6:58 am

Hardly ungreatful.

I remembered billy dearden setting up a promotion side with probably a sixth of the budget that choker had.

DF had an enormous budget, one which should have been achieved, hell he blew an 8 point gap from February, had about 4 chances of winning games in the league season when others fell short and then messed up the playoffs on top of it, not winning any of the final 5 games then losing on penalties summed him up perfectly.

We all wanted him to succeed for the benefit of the club from top to bottom as he was our manager - but he demonstrated that he didn’t learn from mistakes.

A footballing directory would have flitcroft next to a bottle should it allow pictures.

I find it odd that some have problems with others commenting on his very obvious flaws. If flitcroft has demonstrating great managerial nouse why would they jump so giddily to let him go to a league 2 rival?
Last edited by adamstag on Wed May 15, 2019 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Vicar Jeremiah » Wed May 15, 2019 7:07 am

He was sacked because there are only so many times you can be kicked in the testicles before you react

Going for promotion, spend big on Evans, his entourage and his big money players, kicked in the ghoolies. Fail

Going for promotion, back DF to the hilt with another large staff bill, expensive training and overnight stays for 3 hour coach rides, kicked in the gonads. Fail

How John must have felt after all that can only be imagined, time for the long suffering fans to back him:

`if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.....consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us

Romans Ch8 v17-18
Kylie Minogue - God's gift to mankind
Vicar Jeremiah
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed May 15, 2019 7:20 am

I thought JRs tone at the end of season do was very telling. I think he'd already decided DF was getting fired. Winning the play offs may have bought DF 6 months but the trust was gone.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Wed May 15, 2019 7:24 am

I'm still very grateful to John, Carolyn and team as without them we wouldn’t have a team at all.

I’m a little surprised with the timing but not necessarily with the decision to remove Flitcroft. It’s a results based game and there were both high budgets and expectations.

Dempster’s appointment is a surprise to me, more that it appears to signal a change in approach rather than anything to do with JD.

A lot of people, me included, are reading into this about changes in ambition and budgets etc. we could be wrong and only time will tell. Having got to this conclusion are we ungrateful? I hope not, I think it’s more concern for what the change may signify.

We’ve come very close recently and despite the failure we feel like we’re still a club on the up and we want this to continue, the question we’re all asking ourselves is does this change damage or improve this?
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed May 15, 2019 7:24 am

bellwhiff wrote:

How do you know DF 'cared' about the club? He only ever spoke in cliche riddled sound bites. It was a job to him, there was no real love for the club there. That's what I meant when a I said he was a fraud.

When Adam Murray lost a game and spoke after you could almost feel the pain in his voice.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed May 15, 2019 7:27 am

Sneag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

How do you know DF 'cared' about the club? He only ever spoke in cliche riddled sound bites. It was a job to him, there was no real love for the club there. That's what I meant when a I said he was a fraud.

When Adam Murray lost a game and spoke after you could almost feel the pain in his voice.
Lets face it AM had more practice at losing games :)
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed May 15, 2019 7:29 am

You only had to look at Kirkby Stags fantastic thread and then TTF's stats thread to see that from March we were going backwards in points and form tables.

Think the MK game was final nail in coffin, we only turned up for second half.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed May 15, 2019 7:30 am

Sneag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Perhaps if Adam Murray had gone out to win a game he wouldn't have had to endure that pain.
45 years watching and Murray's team tactics was the first one to make me not want to attend, it was atrocious!!!!
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby JLStag » Wed May 15, 2019 7:30 am

Vicar Jeremiah wrote:He was sacked because there are only so many times you can be kicked in the testicles before you react

Going for promotion, spend big on Evans, his entourage and his big money players, kicked in the ghoolies. Fail

Going for promotion, back DF to the hilt with another large staff bill, expensive training and overnight stays for 3 hour coach rides, kicked in the gonads. Fail

How John must have felt after all that can only be imagined, time for the long suffering fans to back him:

`if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.....consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us

Romans Ch8 v17-18

Absolutely
JLStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Conker » Wed May 15, 2019 7:31 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Sneag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

I find your ‘pro flitcroft’ campaign stepping up a notch since his sacking quite cute, very loyal I’ll give you that. :lol:
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Wed May 15, 2019 7:34 am

I think Flitcroft grew to love the club and became a 'stag'.All I can say on Dempster is just give him a chance you may be surprised.COYS.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed May 15, 2019 7:50 am

Conker wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Sneag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

I find your ‘pro flitcroft’ campaign stepping up a notch since his sacking quite cute, very loyal I’ll give you that. :lol:

Thanks for the endorsement. Are you pleased with the replacement manager ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Wed May 15, 2019 8:14 am

The tone of some of these posts quite disgust me, have a read up on David and his brother in relation to their father and you'll get my point.

DF came across as a genuine bloke, and after bumping into him during the season, he was so desperate for us to succeed, as we all were and still are.

Bringing him down with name calling says more about the posters than DF, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Yes, in the end there was an obvious tactical shortfall. but no one said a damn thing when we were going 20 odd games unbeaten.
BigGuy
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Conker » Wed May 15, 2019 8:16 am

I’ll back him like any other manager although it’s clearly risky, although I fully understand why JR has changed route after being let down hugely by the last two efforts!
Conker
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum