{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Congratulations John Dempster

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Congratulations John Dempster

Postby Amber Andy » Tue May 14, 2019 2:57 pm

Conker wrote:Like I said earlier, after being stung by two ‘experienced’ managers being given big budgets and ultimately failing it makes complete sense why JR would go to somebody who was a brilliant player for the club and has done a brilliant job with the Youth team.

Yes it’s a big difference to his new role but you have to take chances in this game, I know the majority of fans will get fully behind him.

You mean like Adam Murray, or Stuart Boam for that matter.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Tue May 14, 2019 3:00 pm

Congratulation John and good luck!

Good to have someone taking over who knows the club, where we’ve been and how we’ve developed. He’s been part of our playing success and had success in management with the youth team, let’s hope he can transfer this into first team management.

A big challenge ahead but I’d rather take a chance on giving him his first go at management than some random ex premier league player straight off the FA training course or a has been that’s failed elsewhere and we’re next on a long list.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue May 14, 2019 3:05 pm

part time pete wrote:
lifestags wrote:Has anyone been to see the youth team over the last season? Trying to work out what style of Manager/Football he will be/play?

The youth team play exactly like the first team, three at the back

We've done what Swansea did years ago.... Settle on a preferred way of playing and will try to bring though youth players that play the Mansfield way.

DF has put this in place, but by failing to actually have enough competition in the wingback role has cost us. I think CJ will be off, no place for out and out wingers in this formation.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 14, 2019 3:07 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
part time pete wrote:
lifestags wrote:Has anyone been to see the youth team over the last season? Trying to work out what style of Manager/Football he will be/play?

We've done what Swansea did years ago.... Settle on a preferred way of playing and will try to bring though youth players that play the Mansfield way.

DF has put this in place, but by failing to actually have enough competition in the wingback role has cost us. I think CJ will be off, no place for out and out wingers in this formation.

As you say, this was DF's idea, not JD's, so he I'm sure will have his own way of playing.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue May 14, 2019 3:09 pm

It's still a shock, but as it settles in it might be a good decision.

Demos has got results from three separate cohorts of youth players.

He speaks intelligently, he can have a laugh and some banter, but he can also lose his sheite with people. He's probably not done the latter so much with the youth but it's in his locker.

He's been doing his education in the game quietly, successfully and without fanfare.

I think he'll get a lot.out.of his players, what we don't know is how he'll manage in the transfer market.

Good luck Demps.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue May 14, 2019 3:13 pm

The One wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Who is going to help John Dempster with recruitment as I'm guessing he's only watched home games this season?

Are you awaiting the call TTF :D

My services are available for a 5% sell on clause :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue May 14, 2019 3:15 pm

Although I think it is a poor decision I wish John Dempster all the best.

I hope he learns from Adam Murrays experience and appoints an experienced assistant who knows the league and has contacts.

Talking of Adam Murray he wouldn't be a bad recruitment manager.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue May 14, 2019 3:18 pm

I hope John Dempster has agreed with JR that if it does not work out then he can go back to coaching the youth team although any eventual successor may not be comfortable with that.

He will probably need an experienced No 2. Will Mike Whitlow join him in the dug out?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue May 14, 2019 3:29 pm

Congrats JD. Positive football is all we ask.....oh and a flipping promotion!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Tue May 14, 2019 3:36 pm

Wish the lad luck but?????????
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Marco van Sherpa » Tue May 14, 2019 3:38 pm

part time pete wrote: The youth team play exactly like the first team, three at the back

Sometimes, but not always mate.
The formations that they've used under John Dempster (and his assistants) over these past few years, have been many fold... and, most importantly, their strategy was always open to flexibility during games too.
If the shape of the team, or personnel, ever need altering, then dealing with situations whenever they presented themselves, has always been one of 'Demps' strengths thus far.
WITH A ROCKSTEADY BEAT
Marco van Sherpa
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby HitchcocksShins » Tue May 14, 2019 3:55 pm

Nice one Demps go get em pal. Now can we all learn the words to that rap he did and have full house singing it during games
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby steiner » Tue May 14, 2019 4:03 pm

Pleased with this, looking forward to next season more now than I was yesterday,
We have some great young eager players at this club who will now get their chance.
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue May 14, 2019 4:05 pm

steiner wrote:Pleased with this, looking forward to next season more now than I was yesterday,
We have some great young eager players at this club who will now get their chance.

Really, have they matured that quickly?
I went to the youth cup tie against Chester last season and they were very very average with not a single one standing out like you usually get.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Tue May 14, 2019 4:13 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
steiner wrote:Pleased with this, looking forward to next season more now than I was yesterday,

Really, have they matured that quickly?
I went to the youth cup tie against Chester last season and they were very very average with not a single one standing out like you usually get.

I watched stags u18 get smashed 4-0 by Tranmere Under 18s in 2003.

Five weeks later the same central defenders started there first men’s match together in division two.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Tue May 14, 2019 4:15 pm

Marco van Sherpa wrote:
part time pete wrote: The youth team play exactly like the first team, three at the back

Sometimes, but not always mate.
The formations that they've used under John Dempster (and his assistants) over these past few years, have been many fold... and, most importantly, their strategy was always open to flexibility during games too.
If the shape of the team, or personnel, ever need altering, then dealing with situations whenever they presented themselves, has always been one of 'Demps' strengths thus far.

What do you think of the appointment of Dempster MVS? Having been closer to the academy teams than almost everyone?
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Tue May 14, 2019 4:19 pm

I too think this is a poor Decision from the board with the momentum the club have had pushing forwards with crowds increasing this could seriously effect season ticket sales unless he’s backed to the hilt which somewhat goes against bringing the youth through ..
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Tue May 14, 2019 4:28 pm

Well done let’s hope that he can build on the work with the young lads

When's the preseason games announced looking forward to them now.

I think next season will be a championship year.
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby Amber Andy » Tue May 14, 2019 5:17 pm

I can't see JR investing in a Evans or Flitcroft type budget with a rookie manager. I think he will give him a reasonable budget but hold some back in case things go pear shaped.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue May 14, 2019 5:23 pm

Amber Andy wrote:I can't see JR investing in a Evans or Flitcroft type budget with a rookie manager. I think he will give him a reasonable budget but hold some back in case things go pear shaped.

He’s appointed a coach in Dempster. I assume the DOF will be in negotiation with JR over budgets. I can’t see how we can achieve what the Radfords have sacked DF for failing at without a similar budget for 2019/20.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue May 14, 2019 5:28 pm

Budget!!! We’ve had a big budget and blown it. Big budgets only get you so far.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue May 14, 2019 5:35 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:Budget!!! We’ve had a big budget and blown it. Big budgets only get you so far.

You can’t will a rally with an empty tank.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Tue May 14, 2019 5:40 pm

Just because Dempster was the youth team coach doesn't mean he will be bringing in a lot of youth players in to the first team squad.Radford has obviously faith in his qualities.I for one will be supporting him as I have done with all our managers.I am and have been a stags supporter all my life and always will be.COYS.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue May 14, 2019 5:41 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
part time pete wrote:

As you say, this was DF's idea, not JD's, so he I'm sure will have his own way of playing.

It's a club wide philosophy that I'm sure demps will try to stick to. Who knows.

Wil be interesting to see what he favours. DF seemed to only ever play one formation
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue May 14, 2019 6:46 pm

Stoney wrote:Who is his assistant? Cooper?

Saw Coops driving into the ground this morning. He gave me the thumbs up for some reason. The guy's kept his head down and worked well down at Brooksby and has been an integral part of Dempster's team down there. If he is to be promoted to first team duties again then good luck to the chap. He's a grand bloke.
However the YT won't run itself so maybe Coops could be eyeing that job up too.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum