{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Flitcroft gone

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Flitcroft gone

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:43 pm

ParisStag wrote:I don't see how Demps is a 'gamble'. We aren't going to go down so even if he doesn't work out, we'll be mid-table at worst. Priming a young coach in house is a better way of knowing your candidate - where perhaps we didn't know Flicker or Evans that we'll - and lots of good young managers seem to come out of nowhere look at the Cowleys. They'd only managed school teams and amateurs before getting the Braintree job.


If the aspiration is still "Project Promotion" (Radford's words in the main) then of course it's a gamble! If the agenda has now changed and we're playing the longer game then your point is valid. What I don't get is the shift if there is one. Gung ho for last few seasons and now foot off the gas?? It might be foot off the gas but that's how it could be seen.

The dismissal is one thing, the appointment is another.
User avatar
Birminghamstag10
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 766
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: Flitcroft gone

Postby garlic » Tue May 14, 2019 8:44 pm

Excellent news and appointment, now we can actually start building a team and not chopping and changing the mercenary`s bought in by vans and flitcroft. We have 3 very capable and experienced players, Bishop, Turner and Pearce, we need another `old head` up front to give the young`uns a helping hand.It might take 2 seasons, it might take 3, but when we get up to Division 3 we will know we have a team capable of staying there, and that is called building a sustainable asset. Brilliant, well done JR, all we need now is leroy back in the fold, head of the Academy and the sun will shine.
garlic
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 502
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:40 pm

Re: Flitcroft gone

Postby young vanish » Tue May 14, 2019 8:48 pm

Every good manager had his first break somewhere. Okay, more fail than succeed, but isn't it premature to condemn this appointment before a ball has been kicked?
Binarily speaking, 10's company, 11's a crowd
User avatar
young vanish
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:44 am
Location: Glappy

Re: Flitcroft gone

Postby Amber Andy » Tue May 14, 2019 8:52 pm

garlic wrote:Excellent news and appointment, now we can actually start building a team and not chopping and changing the mercenary`s bought in by vans and flitcroft. We have 3 very capable and experienced players, Bishop, Turner and Pearce, we need another `old head` up front to give the young`uns a helping hand.It might take 2 seasons, it might take 3, but when we get up to Division 3 we will know we have a team capable of staying there, and that is called building a sustainable asset. Brilliant, well done JR, all we need now is leroy back in the fold, head of the Academy and the sun will shine.

Has Turner signed ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5602
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Flitcroft gone

Postby Spiritater » Tue May 14, 2019 8:53 pm

garlic wrote:Excellent news and appointment, now we can actually start building a team and not chopping and changing the mercenary`s bought in by vans and flitcroft. We have 3 very capable and experienced players, Bishop, Turner and Pearce, we need another `old head` up front to give the young`uns a helping hand.It might take 2 seasons, it might take 3, but when we get up to Division 3 we will know we have a team capable of staying there, and that is called building a sustainable asset. Brilliant, well done JR, all we need now is leroy back in the fold, head of the Academy and the sun will shine.


Our fans do not have the patience to wait that long I'm afraid. If Demps fails to get us up t'pitchforks will be out, especially if he starts to find results hard to come by the season after that.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 19710
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Re: Flitcroft gone

Postby Jamie » Tue May 14, 2019 8:55 pm

For every young manager who makes it, there are plenty who don't. It's a gamble but one that will hopefully work. I also hope JR would recognise if it wasn't and fix it again if required.

Good luck gaffer. Whilst many will question the appointment we all want you to succeed.
Jamie
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4708
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:42 am
Location: Mansfield

Re: Flitcroft gone

Postby Beano » Tue May 14, 2019 9:03 pm

young vanish wrote:Every good manager had his first break somewhere. Okay, more fail than succeed, but isn't it premature to condemn this appointment before a ball has been kicked?


Welcome to Stagsnet ;)
“Vanity inclines us to find faults any where rather than in ourselves”

Samuel Johnson
User avatar
Beano
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2429
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Flitcroft gone

Postby Rob » Tue May 14, 2019 9:08 pm

Good luck to JD but of course changing managers so often is not usually the right thing to do. At least an internal promotion is less disruptive.
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4494
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:33 am

Re: Flitcroft gone

Postby bigalstag » Tue May 14, 2019 9:09 pm

Can somebody tell me what Dempster offers now, in terms of managerial quality, that he was lacking in February,last year. I ask this, because he was available to Mr Radford then, and wasn't deemed good enough. What's changed?
The chairman has been down this path before, with appointment and sacking of Adam Murray, what's the difference, given Murray had more experience.
The shabby actions of today, sacking and appointment, in the same statement, and the lack of explanation for the reasoning behind it, make this decision even more strange.
Hope to goodness, that it works.
bigalstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:39 pm

Re: Flitcroft gone

Postby Binghamstag » Tue May 14, 2019 9:11 pm

He may have been asked last season and said no. Stop looking at negative stuff
Binghamstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:16 pm

Re: Flitcroft gone

Postby Martian » Tue May 14, 2019 9:20 pm

may well be primarly a financial decision - might be unrealistic to expect John to spend spend spend every season - time to regroup maybe - if Dempster can promote a good spirit in the first team squad there's no telling what might happen - look at Newport this season with their cup run and promotion charge - sure John will review the situation as the season progresses - any danger of relagation at Christmas he will clearly take steps to rectify the situation - if we can bring the youngsters through got to be a better platform than a bunch of loanee mercenaries when it comes to playing with a bit of passion
Martian
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:51 pm
Location: Crazies Hill

Re: Flitcroft gone

Postby Beano » Tue May 14, 2019 9:23 pm

bigalstag wrote:Can somebody tell me what Dempster offers now, in terms of managerial quality, that he was lacking in February,last year. I ask this, because he was available to Mr Radford then, and wasn't deemed good enough. What's changed?


He has 18months more experience?

bigalstag wrote:The chairman has been down this path before, with appointment and sacking of Adam Murray, what's the difference, given Murray had more experience


You can’t blame Dempster for Murray’s failure, they are different people, Dempster could be a success, unlike the last 2 “big names”.

bigalstag wrote:The shabby actions of today, sacking and appointment, in the same statement, and the lack of explanation for the reasoning behind it, make this decision even more strange.


Nothing shabby about the statement at all, did you post that when the Evans/Flitcroft statement was released? (You may have, I haven’t checked)

bigalstag wrote:Hope to goodness, that it works.


Amen to that brother

:coys:
“Vanity inclines us to find faults any where rather than in ourselves”

Samuel Johnson
User avatar
Beano
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2429
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Flitcroft gone

Postby Amber Andy » Tue May 14, 2019 9:24 pm

Rob wrote:Good luck to JD but of course changing managers so often is not usually the right thing to do. At least an internal promotion is less disruptive.

Not necessarily. It depends on how the senior players react.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5602
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Flitcroft gone

Postby mousemousemouse » Tue May 14, 2019 9:39 pm

bigalstag wrote:Can somebody tell me what Dempster offers now, in terms of managerial quality, that he was lacking in February,last year. I ask this, because he was available to Mr Radford then, and wasn't deemed good enough. What's changed?
The chairman has been down this path before, with appointment and sacking of Adam Murray, what's the difference, given Murray had more experience.
The shabby actions of today, sacking and appointment, in the same statement, and the lack of explanation for the reasoning behind it, make this decision even more strange.
Hope to goodness, that it works.


Absolutely nothing to do with “what does he offer now that he didn’t then” and people are daft to think like that. He might’ve been asked and said no, he might been told that if we don’t get promoted then the job is his, he might’ve not been asked because they wanted Flitcroft, there
Might not be another manager readily available. So many variables
mousemousemouse
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:45 pm

Re: Flitcroft gone

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue May 14, 2019 9:48 pm

didn't really want to start a new thread on this as it's only a comment on Facebook but someone is saying there's rumours Logan has walked away from the club today
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5107
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: Flitcroft gone

Postby WVStag » Tue May 14, 2019 9:48 pm

I think a lot of peoples frustration with the appointment of Dempster could be that is seems that it could mean a sudden change of mission or expectation.

The appointment of Steve Evans, and then Flitcroft as his successor, were appointments where you knew what the expectation was- promotion. After you've had two of these types of appointments and the funds that have clearly gone into the squad over the last two years, and you now get an appointment of someone such as Dempster, you clearly have reason to believe this is not an appointment in line with what we've had previously since the big push towards L1 football began when we appointed Evans. That is a fact.

The last two managers of this club had reputations for promotions from this league and as such were given the funds to bring that same success to Mansfield. For one reason or another, that has not happened. From the outset, it looks like Radford is not happy that he's seen 0 return for the masses of coin he's injected and who can blame him. Whether that is just an assumption or not, again, you can't blame people for feeling worried about that and what that will mean moving forward. It makes sense. It's also not yet confirmed what kind of budget John Dempster will be working with. Again, although there are no facts regarding what he will or will not be working with, it is in many peoples thoughts that not many owners would chuck blank cheques around blindly for a manager who's never held a position in management at the senior level before. That also would make sense if that happened and is a worry.

People are saying 'Ryan Lowe did it at Bury in a season without a budget and no experience', 'lets breed the youngsters' and 'you don't know that there's been a budget cut'. I want to be proven wrong because I am one of those that is not at all buzzing about this situation. but you cannot blame any supporter who is unnerved by this appointment, what it may mean moving forward and the hasty fashion it has been done in.
WVStag
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:27 am

Re: Flitcroft gone

Postby AlanStag » Tue May 14, 2019 9:51 pm

We have only gone close this season as there's been one standout team in Lincoln, in any other season 76 or even 79 points would have only been good enough for the play offs.

Ultimately we we're only 4 points better off than last season https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-two/05-may-2018/ which 76 points would have only seen us finish in 5th place.

Historically 84 points is needed to grab third place so it was only due to the inconsistency of the top teams the points tally has been so low. You have to go back to 2013 when 79 points was enough for automatic promotion.

So at that rate, we'd need to improve by a further 8 points over next season to ensure automatic promotion. I don't think we would end up anywhere near that under Flitcroft.
I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Mansfield 'till I die!
AlanStag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1529
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:22 am

Re: Flitcroft gone

Postby Dan » Tue May 14, 2019 9:58 pm

S7AGS wrote:Should have gone and got Ryan Lowe before someone else does....


Isn't he still at Bury?
Dan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6914
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Flitcroft gone

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 14, 2019 10:01 pm

Apologies if I’ve missed it but is there a news piece on Sky Sports News about the sacking? Mate sent me a picture earlier of Paul Cox being interviewed outside the West Stand.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4690
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: Flitcroft gone

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue May 14, 2019 10:03 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:didn't really want to start a new thread on this as it's only a comment on Facebook but someone is saying there's rumours Logan has walked away from the club today


also Davies has put a picture on Instagram of him celebrating with DF saying 'this guy legend'


hopefully means nothing... but I hope there's not a revolt
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5107
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: Flitcroft gone

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue May 14, 2019 10:07 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Apologies if I’ve missed it but is there a news piece on Sky Sports News about the sacking? Mate sent me a picture earlier of Paul Cox being interviewed outside the West Stand.



Cox was interviewed by Charlie Slater for EMT on the sacking


just what he was doing outside the wonk we'll soon find out I'm sure
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5107
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: Flitcroft gone

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 14, 2019 10:09 pm

Thanks. Wonder if he is being brought in as the ‘experienced head’. Hope it’s not a sign of the football we’ll be playing if true.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4690
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: Flitcroft gone

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue May 14, 2019 10:11 pm

WVStag wrote:I think a lot of peoples frustration with the appointment of Dempster could be that is seems that it could mean a sudden change of mission or expectation.

The appointment of Steve Evans, and then Flitcroft as his successor, were appointments where you knew what the expectation was- promotion. After you've had two of these types of appointments and the funds that have clearly gone into the squad over the last two years, and you now get an appointment of someone such as Dempster, you clearly have reason to believe this is not an appointment in line with what we've had previously since the big push towards L1 football began when we appointed Evans. That is a fact.

The last two managers of this club had reputations for promotions from this league and as such were given the funds to bring that same success to Mansfield. For one reason or another, that has not happened. From the outset, it looks like Radford is not happy that he's seen 0 return for the masses of coin he's injected and who can blame him. Whether that is just an assumption or not, again, you can't blame people for feeling worried about that and what that will mean moving forward. It makes sense. It's also not yet confirmed what kind of budget John Dempster will be working with. Again, although there are no facts regarding what he will or will not be working with, it is in many peoples thoughts that not many owners would chuck blank cheques around blindly for a manager who's never held a position in management at the senior level before. That also would make sense if that happened and is a worry.

People are saying 'Ryan Lowe did it at Bury in a season without a budget and no experience', 'lets breed the youngsters' and 'you don't know that there's been a budget cut'. I want to be proven wrong because I am one of those that is not at all buzzing about this situation. but you cannot blame any supporter who is unnerved by this appointment, what it may mean moving forward and the hasty fashion it has been done in.


Exactly my feelings. The deathnell sounding out on Carolyn's #ProjectPromotion. And with it is the chairman's enthusiasm for it? I'm more unnerved by this than I am hopeful.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
User avatar
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3546
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: Flitcroft gone

Postby AlanStag » Tue May 14, 2019 10:19 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
WVStag wrote:I think a lot of peoples frustration with the appointment of Dempster could be that is seems that it could mean a sudden change of mission or expectation.

The appointment of Steve Evans, and then Flitcroft as his successor, were appointments where you knew what the expectation was- promotion. After you've had two of these types of appointments and the funds that have clearly gone into the squad over the last two years, and you now get an appointment of someone such as Dempster, you clearly have reason to believe this is not an appointment in line with what we've had previously since the big push towards L1 football began when we appointed Evans. That is a fact.

The last two managers of this club had reputations for promotions from this league and as such were given the funds to bring that same success to Mansfield. For one reason or another, that has not happened. From the outset, it looks like Radford is not happy that he's seen 0 return for the masses of coin he's injected and who can blame him. Whether that is just an assumption or not, again, you can't blame people for feeling worried about that and what that will mean moving forward. It makes sense. It's also not yet confirmed what kind of budget John Dempster will be working with. Again, although there are no facts regarding what he will or will not be working with, it is in many peoples thoughts that not many owners would chuck blank cheques around blindly for a manager who's never held a position in management at the senior level before. That also would make sense if that happened and is a worry.

People are saying 'Ryan Lowe did it at Bury in a season without a budget and no experience', 'lets breed the youngsters' and 'you don't know that there's been a budget cut'. I want to be proven wrong because I am one of those that is not at all buzzing about this situation. but you cannot blame any supporter who is unnerved by this appointment, what it may mean moving forward and the hasty fashion it has been done in.


Exactly my feelings. The deathnell sounding out on Carolyn's #ProjectPromotion. And with it is the chairman's enthusiasm for it? I'm more unnerved by this than I am hopeful.

There's nothing to suggest the plug has been pulled yet. The statement reads "John will have our full backing".

If we sell CJ and maybe a couple others I think the budget pays for itself next season. Radford is entitled to put as much or as little into the club as he sees fit, he is not obliged to bankroll us like he has the past few seasons.
I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Mansfield 'till I die!
AlanStag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1529
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:22 am

Re: Flitcroft gone

Postby Binghamstag » Tue May 14, 2019 10:26 pm

I love these rumours. Yes of course conrad walked away pmsl yes he walked away from his weekly wage. Get a grip will you. He is released .
Binghamstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:16 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests