{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Flitcroft gone

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Flitcroft gone

Postby gavinbrookes » Tue May 14, 2019 5:29 pm

As stated in a previous post, I would have considered a change had someone proven, like Keith Hill, been avaliable. I personally think this is a worrying appointment. Reading between the lines of JR''s statement, I think this means budget cuts. Decision made 'in the interests of Mansfield Town Football Club', no mention of promotion ambition - just an ambiguously worded 'new era'. To me, referring to as 'innovative' implies that he can be creative and work well without much of a budget.

I think the promotion push is over (or at least on hold for a season). Truly sad times.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue May 14, 2019 5:34 pm

I am saddened by Flitcroft’s sacking. However, I have faith in the owners and John Dempster has certainly done a great job at the Academy. The owners and JD will have my support. :coys:
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue May 14, 2019 5:37 pm

It could be that Demps will be followed by a good crop from the YT into the 1st team thinking and they'll set the League alight like Liam, Bob, Dis and Leroy did. You never know.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby robeyre » Tue May 14, 2019 5:38 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Amberheart wrote:
Stags 2002 wrote:Its worked for Southgate and the national team, why can't this model work for us?

We keep hearing about the promising youth team we have, that door has well and truly been blown open now to progress upwards. JD will know who can make it, coupled with some really strong additons in the transfer window it really could work.

Yes its a gamble, but isn't it always.

JD has my full backing.

Good post

Because Southgate doesn't have to sign players.

Will the right type of players want to come with a rookie manager in charge ?

I think who comes in as JD's assistant will define our season. We will need someone who knows the league and has contacts.

Surely this is the responsibility of the Director of Football? Is Greg Abbott still there?

Club atatement says, he has gone 'Head of football operations Greg Abbott, assistant manager Ben Futcher, goalkeeping coach Ian Pledger and performance analyst Dan Ashby have also been released from their positions.'
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue May 14, 2019 5:39 pm

Really want to hear from JD
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby my name is jonas » Tue May 14, 2019 5:52 pm

We all wanted to like Flitcroft but tbh he never had the full backing of the fans.

First 3 months of the season we were drawing every match, conceding late goals that have ultimately cost us (bury away)
The football improved for a few months and we turned some draws into wins.

Not sure what happened in January, signed a good few and great signings on paper but the slick football was over for the most parts.
I’m not really sure how we even stayed in the automatics towards the end of the season. So many chances to go up and we full on bottled it. Players and management.

Flitcroft should have got us up. No ifs and buts and he failed. I didn’t think Radford would sack him and was 50/50 myself if I wanted him gone. I think now it’s happened I am glad.

DF said he would bleed youth in the team when he arrived last year and he hasn’t remotely tried.
We’ve invested loads into the youth set up, nobody knows it better then Dempster, we have a chance to mix a decent team with highly rated youngsters now.
It could work, it could backfire but if this is the way we are going to go who better to have then John Dempster.
my name is jonas
First Team
First Team

Postby The One » Tue May 14, 2019 5:53 pm

On EMT Charlie Slater at wonk interviewing Paul Cox for his view on things.

Press conference with JD in the morning.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue May 14, 2019 5:56 pm

Just saw that and Coxy looked like he was wearing his training gear. Got to ask the question 'did EMTV bring him there or was he already at the ground?'

Could be the experienced head some have been calling for
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Tue May 14, 2019 5:58 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Just saw that and Coxy looked like he was wearing his training gear. Got to ask the question 'did EMTV bring him there or was he already at the ground?'

God I hope not...
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Tue May 14, 2019 6:24 pm

James wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Just saw that and Coxy looked like he was wearing his training gear. Got to ask the question 'did EMTV bring him there or was he already at the ground?'

God I hope not...

Yeah he achieved something so stagsnet would hate him :roll:
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Tue May 14, 2019 6:29 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:
James wrote:

God I hope not...

That’s stagsnet number 1 rule!!
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Dp1976 » Tue May 14, 2019 6:31 pm

Am I in some parallel universe ??!! Full respect for what Paul cox achieved getting us out the conference but Christ what we served up in the league under him was utter garbage - we can’t even be contemplating that surely
Dp1976
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue May 14, 2019 6:33 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:
James wrote:

God I hope not...

There was a reason he was sacked when we were in league 2. He might not be bad as an assistant though. He still gets credit for his fantastic promotion by stags fans
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Binghamstag » Tue May 14, 2019 6:35 pm

Didnt BURY appoint Ryan Lowe from within?
Binghamstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue May 14, 2019 6:40 pm

Dp1976 wrote:Am I in some parallel universe ??!! Full respect for what Paul cox achieved getting us out the conference but Christ what we served up in the league under him was utter garbage - we can’t even be contemplating that surely

I would agree with that but Charlie Slater interviewed him outside the Sandy Pate bar about the change of management. Cox was wearing his trademark black training top so either EMTV invited him across and that's how he was dressed or he was already there.

I don't know where Mr Cox lives but it seems a bit of an odd choice to invite him for an interview although that said, he did sign Dempster for the Stags. He always had a good relationship with JR who gave him his old car if I remember rightly.

I suppose he and Adam Murray could be the new youth coaches but I can't really see that. Whatever the situation, I wouldn't rule him out from getting some sort of job at the club.

Of course he could be the new Clownty coach and him and Charlie just got lost but I can't see that really.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue May 14, 2019 6:41 pm

That's a possibility
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Tue May 14, 2019 6:45 pm

The One wrote:On EMT Charlie Slater at wonk interviewing Paul Cox for his view on things.

Press conference with JD in the morning.

This is what they broadcast...

Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby James » Tue May 14, 2019 6:47 pm

We’ve moved on from Cox and his regime now. All for commending him for winning the conference, but christ it would be a massive step backwards should he be involved again.

Stagsnet is like one big nostalgia party sometimes.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue May 14, 2019 6:48 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Dp1976 wrote:Am I in some parallel universe ??!! Full respect for what Paul cox achieved getting us out the conference but Christ what we served up in the league under him was utter garbage - we can’t even be contemplating that surely

I would agree with that but Charlie Slater interviewed him outside the Sandy Pate bar about the change of management. Cox was wearing his trademark black training top so either EMTV invited him across and that's how he was dressed or he was already there.

I don't know where Mr Cox lives but it seems a bit of an odd choice to invite him for an interview although that said, he did sign Dempster for the Stags. He always had a good relationship with JR who gave him his old car if I remember rightly.

I suppose he and Adam Murray could be the new youth coaches but I can't really see that. Whatever the situation, I wouldn't rule him out from getting some sort of job at the club.

Of course he could be the new Clownty coach and him and Charlie just got lost but I can't see that really.

A village between Newark and Nottingham. I used to see a lot of him when I lived that way.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Tue May 14, 2019 6:49 pm

Played the same style as we did second half of this year but with success. Cox ran his course here and we shouldn't look back but to compare him and Flitcroft is madness...One took us from a midtable conference side to a midtable league 2 side. One took us from a playoff league 2 team to a playoff league 2 team.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue May 14, 2019 6:57 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:

Played the same style as we did second half of this year but with success. Cox ran his course here and we shouldn't look back but to compare him and Flitcroft is madness...One took us from a midtable conference side to a midtable league 2 side. One took us from a playoff league 2 team to a playoff league 2 team.

Sacking DF is madness in my view, so don't rule it out.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Tue May 14, 2019 7:05 pm

yorkshire stag wrote::shock: never expected that :shock:

Don’t worry you can start whining about Dempster 9 am prompt
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Tue May 14, 2019 7:20 pm

I wonder if the letter from the FA apologising for the ref effectively denying his team promotion, arrived before or after Flitcroft getting the sack?
I'm aware that the failure is not all down to the official, but that was almost the last nail in the coffin. I guess he'll have the apology framed, and displayed alongside the other one.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Harrington St Hero » Tue May 14, 2019 7:25 pm

DF was probably never going to get us relegated, and based on the last 2 seasons evidence, never get us promoted. I think we had become a ‘nearly’ club.

The inconsistency and failure to deliver at crucial times had become frustrating to me as a fan - imagine how you’d feel as the owner/funder?

It needed a change, but I have no idea if this appointment is a good one. How will the senior pro’s react? Will we attract talent with a rookie manager? Will we flourish if we use more young players?

Interesting times ahead. I’ll get my season ticket, support my team, and see how it goes. I hope we don’t lose our momentum and belief. But I support change as we were in danger of just pressing repeat for another season.
Harrington St Hero
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Gruff » Tue May 14, 2019 7:40 pm

Thinking about this a little more... I wonder if the Radfords had clauses in the contracts for the likes of Flitcroft and Futcher along the lines of Playiffs last season and/or promotion this season. Greg Abbott coming in to help with the January window to help us over the line probably also had a promotion clause (if they had any sense)

I will happily take a season of stability with an outside chance of the play-offs this year, as the team grow and blend. If, as we all hope, we just improve and smash the league... then so be it.

If the Radfords lost faith in the manager, then it is their decision to replace him. I'd have Neal Bishop as player/assistant, or put him in charge of the youth set-up.

Onwards and upwards....
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum