{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Our ground

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Our ground

Postby NIGEL » Fri May 17, 2019 7:19 pm

The Northampton play-off game 2nd leg May 2004 was I believe the last time the Bishop Street was used. It was also the last time we were in the North Stand. First game of the following season Aug 2004 there were 1300 Bristol Rovers in the North Stand.
NIGEL
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby mousemousemouse » Fri May 17, 2019 8:21 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
mousemousemouse wrote:A new stand is going to cost a fair bit of money so we either have one we stick with for 10 years or none at all.

We barely sell out as it is. We don't even come close sometimes, so why do people think we should spend 2-3million+ on a new stand that will probably get full?

You go up and play Sunderland.. or any other big club.. you've lost out on more away fans straight away.

And give an away team two sides of our ground?

I get exactly what you’re saying, but let’s say we built a stand that held an extra 1,000 fans. And we do sell the tickets to Sunderland, it would make an extra £24000 revenue (still need to minus operating cost) how often would that happen in a season?

Then, for if we played Accrington, and the stand was open then it’s additional cost but it exclusively wouldn’t make money (we could house the people that say in the bishop anywhere else). So it’ll actually cost more money than it would could possibly makes.
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby CassellsCap » Sat May 18, 2019 1:26 am

How do all the other clubs manage with four sides? Can’t believe we still have a ground of three sides . Decades with four yet in the modern era we still have to look at a boarded up stand every home game. It’s sad that we are famous for that.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sat May 18, 2019 2:01 am

Just refurbish the bishop street for now so we can plonk an extra 600 Away fans in there.

Once we’re up a leagues the time to proper redevelop it.

Imo the hotels the proper money spinner and will give the external west stand area a facelift it deserves.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Sat May 18, 2019 5:46 am

If I was planning an hotel between the QLE n IG stand i would develop the Bishop Street 1st attaching both ends of the stand to the QLE n North Stand move the fans from the IG over to the QLE n Bishop St then develop the entire West Stand side of the ground with an hotel spreading around from the QLE an attaching the West stand to the North Stand.....

When all completed House the away fans in the Bishop St from the Halfway line towards the QLE n making an exit for away fans onto Quarry Lane.blocking off fans coming out the Quarry Lane Stand away from the away supporters
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat May 18, 2019 5:54 am

It's all "pie in the sky". It's not worth it whilst ever we are a league 2 club.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat May 18, 2019 6:07 am

As it stands at the moment it just looksso tin pot. It's a small mercy that at least the TV cameras can be housed in there, which only leaves the massive gaps between the IG & the two ends to make the ground look crap.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Sat May 18, 2019 10:13 am

Would there ever be a case of switching QLE with the north stand? Then stick the hotel between the west stand and QLE and it acts as a natural segregation, if the plan was to ever fill in corners in years to come?
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sedgwick » Sat May 18, 2019 4:25 pm

I still don't understand why the absolute minimum of knocking it down and tidying it up hasn't been done... surely doesn't cost that much to take a small wooden stand down.

Get rid of the score board while were at it and put more away fans in that corner/ stepped bit of bishop street.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat May 18, 2019 4:33 pm

Sedgwick wrote:I still don't understand why the absolute minimum of knocking it down and tidying it up hasn't been done... surely doesn't cost that much to take a small wooden stand down.

Get rid of the score board while were at it and put more away fans in that corner/ stepped bit of bishop street.

I think the problem is that JR would have to buy the houses on bishop Street and the other one to be able to build/renovate that stand? could be wrong though.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat May 18, 2019 4:48 pm

Might already own them, who knows?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat May 18, 2019 5:24 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:I still don't understand why the absolute minimum of knocking it down and tidying it up hasn't been done... surely doesn't cost that much to take a small wooden stand down.

I think the problem is that JR would have to buy the houses on bishop Street and the other one to be able to build/renovate that stand? could be wrong though.

Not being funny but what are they worth ?

You’d need the first four on both sides of two streets ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sat May 18, 2019 5:55 pm

Probably be cheaper to move the pitch over towards the West stand, this would leave room for a full length, 15 steps terrace/safe standing area holding circa 2k.

If I was the owner of the end terrace and knew a multi millionaire wanted to buy it, the price would be rather a lot more than market value :)
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sat May 18, 2019 6:18 pm

It is disappointing that we didn't get promoted, because one wonders if the Bishop St. redevelopment might go on hold now. Although there is no reason why it should wait until we are in league 1/Championship. That might never happen - and even conference clubs have four sided grounds!

Local derbies, FA cup games and play-off's are a justification for a fourth stand - even if we are in league 2.

Furthermore, it is not simply about attendances - it is also about having a decent stadium that improves the match-day experience for everyone.

The Radford's said that they intend to redevelop Bishop st. and build a hotel. They put it to a fans vote on which to build first - and a new Bishop St. stand won the vote convincingly. (Rightly in my opinion).

I believe that architects plans have been drawn up for a 2,000 seater stand. Given that it is a modest size, it can probably fit in by just moving the pitch over a few yards. It would be good to see the plans and hear an announcement soon. It would cheer some of us up after the disapointment of losing out on promotion. ;)
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat May 18, 2019 6:24 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Not being funny but what are they worth ?

You’d need the first four on both sides of two streets ?

To knock down that raspberry stand and tidy it all up, why would you need to own the houses? makes no sense
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sat May 18, 2019 6:35 pm

I think that's part of the problem - the cost of knocking it down and 'tidying it up' isn't cheap. I have often suggested on here if Steve Hymas could help out with that aspect - mates rates!
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Sat May 18, 2019 6:50 pm

Demolition and construction are two different businesses. I would imagine it would cost a tidy sum to demolish the Bishop Street stand and then to secure the premises. The stand also forms the boundary.
HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Staggyfox » Sat May 18, 2019 9:44 pm

Just a suggestion....knock down/move the west stand back. Swap the pitch round 90 degrees, bingo. Room for the bishop Street redevelopment, room for a hotel, and all we would need would be 2 great wingers and a 7foot tall target man and try to hit his head with the ball, .......oh no....they have found me....back to the asylum....
Staggyfox
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby daddycool » Sun May 19, 2019 6:33 am

I think most of the houses on bishop st are landlord owned and on the rental market .bottom end of the property market.
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun May 19, 2019 8:00 am

Someone asked what are the houses required worth, the answer is a great deal more when the owner of the local football club needs them badly, forget the regular £65k each.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby cornish stag » Sun May 19, 2019 8:24 am

Why couldn't we do similar to Exeter's marsh Kia stand? Holds about a thousand standing away fans, made of steel steps and could easily be modified if needed in the future.
This stand was only renovated last year, so I assume it's still ok to build new standing terraces?
cornish stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun May 19, 2019 8:56 am

The talk of an extra stand, hotels, realigning the pitch are in my opinion a case of running before we can walk. Field Mill, as it will forever be known to the old school fans was redeveloped on the cheap. It was developed with a degree of ‘downward spiral thinking’ involved. Regular large attendances, future proofing, the demands of a modern supporter and the growth of the club was not considered. There are a whole range of items at the club, though small in detail may help the ‘matchday experience’.

Adequate number of toilets in all stands that can deal with large numbers of fans during a short period of time (ie half time in all stands), refreshment kiosks that can deal with large numbers during a short period of time (ie people missing the second half kick off as they queue for a sausage roll), the ticketing system, the interface of the supporters leaving the ground at full time as the car parks turn out (an accident waiting to happen), supporters disgorging onto Quarry Lane at the final whistle as live traffic is present (another accident waiting to happen), the unmade ground leading to the turnstiles on the West Stand Lower neatest Quarry Lane, barriers assisting queuing into the ground, only one narrow entrance into and out of the Sandy Pate etc. I am sure we could all provide a long list of what we see as problem areas that though may seem trivial but would make match day just that noticeably bit better.

Get these little things right and the floating supporter may just have reason to stay for the next game and the next and the next.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Barrel of the Best » Sun May 19, 2019 3:17 pm

I think the club re-establishing itself in the football league is good enough reason to justify doing something with the Bishop St stand. Taking that dilapidated eyesore into League One would be a joke.
Even tidying it up as other three sided grounds have done in the past.
It seems ironic that the QLE proudly states The Oldest Professional Football Ground in the World then there's that indescribable mess next to it.
Barrel of the Best
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Vice President » Sun May 19, 2019 3:26 pm

Barrel of the Best wrote:I think the club re-establishing itself in the football league is good enough reason to justify doing something with the Bishop St stand. Taking that dilapidated eyesore into League One would be a joke.
It seems ironic that the QLE proudly states The Oldest Professional Football Ground in the World then there's that indescribable mess next to it.

:good_post:

Fixing the stadium is more important than a hotel. Although hopefully we will have both in 5 years time.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun May 19, 2019 5:26 pm

Vice President wrote:
Barrel of the Best wrote:I think the club re-establishing itself in the football league is good enough reason to justify doing something with the Bishop St stand. Taking that dilapidated eyesore into League One would be a joke.

:good_post:

Fixing the stadium is more important than a hotel. Although hopefully we will have both in 5 years time.

I think it'd be a great step to at least reveal some plans or a rough timeline as to when it will be tidied up... its been out of use and boarded up for over a decade. It'd be a million times better if it was at least like Oxford unites missing stand.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum