{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Our ground

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Our ground

Postby The One » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:32 pm

Vice President wrote:
Trenam wrote:Build the hotel ,and add sections to north and south stands so it looks like a continuous ground ,if and when we progress up the leagues, then build a three tier stand to join up to the filled in corners suggested. 1946/47 stag

I think that a 'four sided ground' is far more important than a hotel, adding sections to the corners, or adding additional tiers.
The ground is only a '3/4 ground' at the moment. Ignoring that missing 1/4 and adding to the other 3/4 will make it even more unbalanced.

99% of football grounds, irrespective of their status, or wherever in the world ..... have 4 sides.

A hotel would generate income for a stand . a stand would not generate income for a hotel.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:36 pm

Sneag wrote:Or stick the scoreboard in a skip.

Bury's scoreboard has disappeared (probably repossessed or seized by bailiffs).
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:03 am

cornish stag wrote:Why couldn't we do similar to Exeter's marsh Kia stand? Holds about a thousand standing away fans, made of steel steps and could easily be modified if needed in the future.
This stand was only renovated last year, so I assume it's still ok to build new standing terraces?

That was renovation of an existing terrace.
Our ground is officially an 'all seater' ground so the rules do not allow us to build a standing terrace.
Also, as I have said on many similar threads, building a terrace would not increase the average matchday attendance. Therefore, we would basically be spending money to reduce our income as people who currently buy seating tickets would move over to the terrace and pay a lower admission.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:49 am

Dave Wayne wrote:
cornish stag wrote:Why couldn't we do similar to Exeter's marsh Kia stand? Holds about a thousand standing away fans, made of steel steps and could easily be modified if needed in the future.
This stand was only renovated last year, so I assume it's still ok to build new standing terraces?

Our ground is officially an 'all seater' ground so the rules do not allow us to build a standing terrace.
Also, as I have said on many similar threads, building a terrace would not increase the average matchday attendance. Therefore, we would basically be spending money to reduce our income as people who currently buy seating tickets would move over to the terrace and pay a lower admission.

I’ve heard it’s do-able (regarding building a standing stand) and it’s something the Radfords have mentioned too.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:05 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:

I've heard it's been purchased over a drink or two n now being erected in the middle of the Bishop Street Stand
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:40 pm

Sell the ground for housing & hotel and build a new one with up to date facilities, score board and an oval stadium on the ring road or at Pleasley. Then everyone would be happy
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby The One » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:46 pm

sunray wrote:Sell the ground for housing & hotel and build a new one with up to date facilities, score board and an oval stadium on the ring road or at Pleasley. Then everyone would be happy

The Covenant on ground would not permit this.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:49 pm

sunray wrote:Sell the ground for housing & hotel and build a new one with up to date facilities, score board and an oval stadium on the ring road or at Pleasley. Then everyone would be happy

speak for yourself. You can't buy history.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:50 pm

Filed mill forever lol
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:52 pm

You want to be a fan of a soulless bowl next to a motorway? Then jog on to Scunthorpe, Colchester etc!

Our ground is perfectly placed - not too far from the town centre and smack bang in the middle of our hearts!!

Come on you Stags!
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:02 pm

Conker wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:

I’ve heard it’s do-able (regarding building a standing stand) and it’s something the Radfords have mentioned too.
Total waste of money whilst we are league 2.

Any available money should be used on the first team squad.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:33 pm

We tried that for the last 2 years and are still in league 2 - we could have built a nice new stand instead!
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:41 pm

Vice President wrote:We tried that for the last 2 years and are still in league 2 - we could have built a nice new stand instead!

Get over it
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:53 am

SINA STAG wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:

I've heard it's been purchased over a drink or two n now being erected in the middle of the Bishop Street Stand

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:02 pm

After the announcements from Coventry City and the EFL regarding where the Sky Blues will be playing next season, speak to any Coventry fan about moving to a shiny new ground with good motorway links then ask them why they aren’t happy.

Then visit the dentist to have your teeth put back in.

Viva Field Mill Forever!
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:34 pm

The One wrote:
Vice President wrote:We tried that for the last 2 years and are still in league 2 - we could have built a nice new stand instead!

Get over it

Get over what exactly?
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:07 pm

Vice President wrote:
The One wrote:

Get over it

Get over what exactly?

The obcession over a stand and expense when it is non priority.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:14 am

The One wrote:
Vice President wrote:
The One wrote:

Get over it

Get over what exactly?

Exactly. It would be an expensive luxury whatever it cost.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:35 am

Amber Andy wrote:
The One wrote:
Vice President wrote:
The One wrote:

Get over it

Get over what exactly?

Err ..... May I reiterate my lack of respect for the scoreboard?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:13 am

VP'll be one of these folk who love to keep up with the Jones's no matter what the cost.
'Darling, the Jones's are building an extension, can we have one'?
'Of course my sweet, I'll just nip to the bank for another loan'.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:43 am

Ha ha - Naturally I'm obsessed about replacing the BS stand. (I think someone once suggested that I should be part of the unveiling ceremony! :lol: )
That said - JR said he wants to build both a new stand and a hotel in the next few years (with the stand winning the priority vote). So hopefully it will happen at some stage - and I will help cut the ribbon! ;)
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:48 am

Vice President wrote:Ha ha - Naturally I'm obsessed about replacing the BS stand. (I think someone once suggested that I should be part of the unveiling ceremony! :lol: )
That said - JR said he wants to build both a new stand and a hotel in the next few years (with the stand winning the priority vote). So hopefully it will happen at some stage - and I will help cut the ribbon! ;)

I'll cut the ribbon
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:52 am

Any idea when they are going to start building the new hotel. The initial planning appears to have been granted. Is this down to detailed planning/building regs, Zeal Projects, JR or HIlton hotels.

There a lot of jobs for Mansfield at stake both in the building stage and when the hotel opens.
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:00 am

Amber Andy wrote:
The One wrote:
Vice President wrote:
The One wrote:

Get over it

Get over what exactly?

Looks like you are going to have to get used to the idea.

I think it is fantastic that the owners are going to rebuild it, the ground is an eyesore and it also detracts from the atmosphere. Definitely not a luxury to have a stadium with 4 sides!!!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:17 am

There;'s an interview with the chairman and he's said that he:

The chairman also provided the latest updates on the Bishop Street Stand, and the plans to build a Hampton-by-Hilton Hotel on site at One Call Stadium.

“We have said that there is no point in developing Bishop Street until we get the numbers in the stands that require us to develop it,” he added.

“We’re getting close to it [having the attendances to develop]. If we got into League One [last season], we’d be redeveloping it straight away.

“Our ambitions at the moment and my resources are being put into getting promotion. Then, once we’ve got promoted, the stand will be done and the hotel will be done.

Sensible and reasonable. There's an idea that we should just throw silly money at things like a stand. We don't have the numbers
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum