{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Retained List

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Retained List

Postby DE STAG » Tue May 14, 2019 1:37 pm

WVStag wrote:
Stafford wrote:
WVStag wrote:No chance of keeping Mellis now Demps is in charge. That I am sure of.

Why?

Can't imagine Mellis/anyone we've got that's actually good wanting to play under Demps. That's before you've even considered what looks to be a certain budget cut.

Strange statement, why wouldn't they want to play under him?
DE STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby WVStag » Tue May 14, 2019 1:43 pm

DE STAG wrote:
WVStag wrote:
Stafford wrote:
WVStag wrote:No chance of keeping Mellis now Demps is in charge. That I am sure of.

Why?

Can't imagine Mellis/anyone we've got that's actually good wanting to play under Demps. That's before you've even considered what looks to be a certain budget cut.

Because he's never managed at senior level before.

If the good players do decide they don't want to play under him (Mellis, Benning, Pearce for example) they won't struggle to find a club.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Foresttownstag » Tue May 14, 2019 1:45 pm

Players not wanting to play for us because the manager hasn’t managed at senior level before :lol:

ONLY ON STAGSNET WOULD YOU READ THIS ABSOLUTE SH1T3!!!
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Tue May 14, 2019 1:48 pm

Foresttownstag wrote:Players not wanting to play for us because the manager hasn’t managed at senior level before :lol:

ONLY ON STAGSNET WOULD YOU READ THIS ABSOLUTE SH1T3!!!

If you think that is bad? Regular posters are starting to doubt Radford now :roll:
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue May 14, 2019 2:02 pm

Dempster has a big job first of all in trying to keep players like Benning and Pearce who will no doubt have plenty of interest in them after performing consistently for years and now being recognised in the team of the year.

Whether it bothers them that he’s not managed at a senior level or not, it will come down to whether they genuinely feel that Dempster can build a squad that is capable of promotion with the budget available. We have some very good players at this level that will want to compete at the top end. It seems likely that the budget will be smaller, but we will see. Here’s hoping that Dempster can keep who he wants to keep, and build a side that can challenge. Time will tell!
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue May 14, 2019 3:15 pm

I'm not even sure who is under contract or not, the retained list is going to be intresting!
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Tue May 14, 2019 3:16 pm

BH_Stag wrote:Dempster has a big job first of all in trying to keep players like Benning and Pearce who will no doubt have plenty of interest in them after performing consistently for years and now being recognised in the team of the year.

Whether it bothers them that he’s not managed at a senior level or not, it will come down to whether they genuinely feel that Dempster can build a squad that is capable of promotion with the budget available. We have some very good players at this level that will want to compete at the top end. It seems likely that the budget will be smaller, but we will see. Here’s hoping that Dempster can keep who he wants to keep, and build a side that can challenge. Time will tell!

That's essentially my point, but with an explanation. :D
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue May 14, 2019 3:31 pm

Every first team player knows Dempster very well. He will have no problem keeping certain players so long as the club is still ambitious. Interesting few months ahead.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue May 14, 2019 4:48 pm

WVStag wrote:
DE STAG wrote:
WVStag wrote:
Stafford wrote:

Why?

Because he's never managed at senior level before.

If the good players do decide they don't want to play under him (Mellis, Benning, Pearce for example) they won't struggle to find a club.

I wonder what all those bury players thought when they appointed Ryan Lowe. They seemed to do alright under a manager with no experience
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue May 14, 2019 4:54 pm

Players will play for Bealzebub if the pay packet is the right size.

I don't see Dempster being a shrinking violet if players don't show the proper respect.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Tue May 14, 2019 4:55 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:I wonder what all those bury players thought when they appointed Ryan Lowe. They seemed to do alright under a manager with no experience

Fair one about Ryan Lowe. He was a very busy boy in the market and it worked for him. Not to say it's going to work for us though with Demps, I for one do not believe it will. Particularly if the budget is to be cut like many think it will.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue May 14, 2019 4:56 pm

WVStag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:I wonder what all those bury players thought when they appointed Ryan Lowe. They seemed to do alright under a manager with no experience

Fair one about Ryan Lowe. He was a very busy boy in the market and it worked for him. Not to say it's going to work for us though with Demps, I for one do not believe it will. Particularly if the budget is to be cut like many think it will.

did you want flitcroft sacking?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Tue May 14, 2019 5:02 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
WVStag wrote:

Can you explain the relevance of this?
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue May 14, 2019 5:04 pm

WVStag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
WVStag wrote:

Just wondered if you were harping for the sacking of flitcroft and then disappointed by Dempster being appointed :)
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Tue May 14, 2019 5:07 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
WVStag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
WVStag wrote:

Just wondered if you were harping for the sacking of flitcroft and then disappointed by Dempster being appointed :)

I don't think anyone could be hammered for wanting Flitcroft out (the reasons are obvious, but arguable) and then hammer them for not wanting Dempster as the replacement (reasons which are also obvious and not even arguable)
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue May 14, 2019 5:12 pm

Jose Mourinho was Bobby Robson's translator. Nigel Adkins was Scunthorpe's physio. The Cowleys were PE teachers. Nathan Jones was Brighton's first team coach.

Football is a results business and the proof of the pudding is in the eating. There is no guarantee of success.

Good luck John. He has been a good youth team coach and deserves his chance.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue May 14, 2019 5:24 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Jose Mourinho was Bobby Robson's translator. Nigel Adkins was Scunthorpe's physio. The Cowleys were PE teachers. Nathan Jones was Brighton's first team coach.

Football is a results business and the proof of the pudding is in the eating. There is no guarantee of success.

All very good points TTF.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Wed May 15, 2019 5:49 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Jose Mourinho was Bobby Robson's translator. Nigel Adkins was Scunthorpe's physio. The Cowleys were PE teachers. Nathan Jones was Brighton's first team coach.

Don’t forget Brendan Rodgers!
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagone1959 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:38 am

Mellis=Good is a strange statement
stagone1959
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed May 15, 2019 6:49 am

I don't think there will be a huge number of changes now. I think JD will want to keep all the players under contract. JR may also have said to him that he wants him to play a system that makes more use of Otis Khan as we paid a decent transfer fee for him. Craig Davies was another big signing and if he could get himself fit then he could still have a big impact next season. Will Atkinson will probably want to move on to play regular first team football.

I'm a bit worried about the rumours of Conrad leaving as I would have liked to have kept him but there are plenty of good keepers out there sat on benches.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed May 15, 2019 6:54 am

Conrad Logan was brilliant in the play-offs, but if we are keeping the same system I hope we stay with Bobby when he is fit - Logan does not like going short.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Binghamstag » Wed May 15, 2019 2:22 pm

Well seems like all the players are at ground this afternoon
Binghamstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby tillydog123 » Wed May 15, 2019 3:06 pm

Think basically nobody on here or JR etc knows how all this will go and we can all speculate till the cows come home
We will just have to wait and see, its a complete unknown.

Its a real shot in the dark, could be good could be a disaster, I think about Tony Adams in management, a great and fantastic player but what a terrible manager he was.

JR does seem to appoint very very quickly and would have thought a few weeks respite might have helped think it all through but guess the contracts etc need sorting sharpish.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Wed May 15, 2019 3:43 pm

Let’s start by saying I would not have got rid of DF

Having done so it could be that JD had already been identified as management material. He has been with the club some time and been succesful.

If we had gone outside of the club we would probably have got someone who had been sacked elsewhere

JD will know his terms - the budget is a separate thing. It could be that JD has been asked to go away and think about what he will need eg size of squad , no of back room staff etc

I don’t find anything too strange about this. JD is now the manager and I wish him well.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby StagsForLIFE » Wed May 15, 2019 3:54 pm

Wish him well, has now thrown up the squad in the air. You'd expect the defence to all be retained, midfield and strikers is anyone's guess.
StagsForLIFE
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum