{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

A season to remember, despite the heartbreaking end

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

A season to remember, despite the heartbreaking end

Postby Chadman » Mon May 13, 2019 11:24 am

History will show it was a season the club again moved forwards and improved. It hurts today but overall it's been a great season to savour.

https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/l ... -1-9764878
Chadman
First Team
First Team

Re: A season to remember, despite the heartbreaking end

Postby BH_Stag » Mon May 13, 2019 11:50 am

There’s 2 sides to this for me. As you say history will show a 4th place finish which does show improvement but doesn’t tell the whole story.

For the first 6 months I thought we were great, the football was easy on the eye, we were very difficult to beat, and really hit our stride in the lead up to Christmas. 4 of our players have made team of the season, and our striker got 25 goals which hasn’t happened in years. We’ve also had plenty to play for at the end of the season which has been a welcome change compared to previous seasons.

Then January came and injuries/signings seem to have derailed the season. To be fair on the face of it the signings looked good but unfortunately they haven’t had the desired effect. The style of play hasn’t been anywhere near what it was up until January, we became pretty easy to beat, and attained a points tally from start of Feb - May that had us lower midtable in that particular form guide with the likes of Morecambe gaining more points in that period. There have been too many games in those months where we carried very little goal threat.

8 times this season we took an away following of over 1000 and didn’t manage to win one. Over 4000 travelling fans at County and MK and we barely mustered a shot in those. For me it’s those big days that make you remember a season if you don’t go up and unfortunately we’ve been left disappointed in that respect.

Still left frustated after yesterday, but with recent form, 3 defeats to end the season followed by losing in the playoffs I think I’ll remember the season as a missed opportunity rather than a season to savour.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Beyond The Pale » Mon May 13, 2019 12:04 pm

BH_Stag wrote:There’s 2 sides to this for me. As you say history will show a 4th place finish which does show improvement but doesn’t tell the whole story.

For the first 6 months I thought we were great, the football was easy on the eye, we were very difficult to beat, and really hit our stride in the lead up to Christmas. 4 of our players have made team of the season, and our striker got 25 goals which hasn’t happened in years. We’ve also had plenty to play for at the end of the season which has been a welcome change compared to previous seasons.

Then January came and injuries/signings seem to have derailed the season. To be fair on the face of it the signings looked good but unfortunately they haven’t had the desired effect. The style of play hasn’t been anywhere near what it was up until January, we became pretty easy to beat, and attained a points tally from start of Feb - May that had us lower midtable in that particular form guide with the likes of Morecambe gaining more points in that period. There have been too many games in those months where we carried very little goal threat.

8 times this season we took an away following of over 1000 and didn’t manage to win one. Over 4000 travelling fans at County and MK and we barely mustered a shot in those. For me it’s those big days that make you remember a season if you don’t go up and unfortunately we’ve been left disappointed in that respect.

Still left frustated after yesterday, but with recent form, 3 defeats to end the season followed by losing in the playoffs I think I’ll remember the season as a missed opportunity rather than a season to savour.

It's interesting that when we were in that spell of playing great football before the turn of the year when we only lost one game, the crucial thing for me, was all the draws. Twelve in total, if just two of those had been wins, we'd have gone up automatically... People seem to pin point the after New Year period as the one that did for us, but if we had been more ruthless when playing so, so well, we may well be bemoaning not winning the title right now rather than missing out on the play offs.
I backed my car into a cop car the other day, he just drove off, sometimes life's okay...
Beyond The Pale
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Dan » Mon May 13, 2019 12:11 pm

TBS wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:There’s 2 sides to this for me. As you say history will show a 4th place finish which does show improvement but doesn’t tell the whole story.

It's interesting that when we were in that spell of playing great football before the turn of the year when we only lost one game, the crucial thing for me, was all the draws. Twelve in total, if just two of those had been wins, we'd have gone up automatically... People seem to pin point the after New Year period as the one that did for us, but if we had been more ruthless when playing so, so well, we may well be bemoaning not winning the title right now rather than missing out on the play offs.

Two brilliant posts & spot on too. I feel like I’ve lost £100 but found a tenner.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon May 13, 2019 1:31 pm

We have simply not been good enough in the last 20 games and in the play offs. We would have apparently only finished 13th based on our last 20 games. We could not win any of our last 5 games which would have got us promoted or taken us to Wembley. A very poor finish to the season for the second successive season.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Mon May 13, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Mon May 13, 2019 1:35 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:We have simply not been good enough in the last 20 games and in the play offs. We would have apparently only
finished 13th based on our last 20 games. We could not win any of our last 5 games which would have got us promoted or taken us to Wembley. A very poor finish to the season for the second successive season.

Very true TTF. We lost it at Stadium MK playing for only 45 mins plus Clownty, Northampton, Stevenage home. The hoof ball from January did not help.

Should DF be given another go? Unsure.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon May 13, 2019 1:38 pm

The only thing i am going to remember about this season is the lack of backing the fans gave the manager and the team
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon May 13, 2019 2:04 pm

Chander Lear wrote:The only thing i am going to remember about this season is the lack of backing the fans gave the manager and the team

I think that's a bit harsh. The vast majority have backed the manager and the team. Lots stayed behind yesterday and applauded the team off. You will always get some genuine fans and trolls who will criticise the manager. It's their opinion and is their right to express it.

We go again next season in hope rather than expectation. I hope some of the new found fans and returners will come to games next season.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby eggy » Mon May 13, 2019 2:11 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Chander Lear wrote:The only thing i am going to remember about this season is the lack of backing the fans gave the manager and the team

I think that's a bit harsh. The vast majority have backed the manager and the team. Lots stayed behind yesterday and applauded the team off. You will always get some genuine fans and trolls who will criticise the manager. It's their opinion and is their right to express it.

We go again next season in hope rather than expectation. I hope some of the new found fans and returners will come to games next season.

I think CL may have been referring to chadman's comments earlier this season.
eggy
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon May 13, 2019 2:20 pm

eggy wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

I think CL may have been referring to chadman's comments earlier this season.

;)
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon May 13, 2019 2:21 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

I was taking the Pee :)
I have actually been really impressed with the crowd this year, especially away from home.

The atmosphere is just as good as it was when we hand the QLE bouncing back in the conference days.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon May 13, 2019 2:24 pm

The lack of fire power isn't something that hit us after January. We all knew in August our forward line wasn't good enough and so it proved.

Failure to recruit the right blend has cost us right from the kick off and despite what some say, there is only one man to blame for that. Don't give me all the 'but he had Evans cast offs to deal with and pay' as I don't think many of those were out and out strikers. He got the recruitment wrong and our doubts have come home to roost. What happens after next year when Murray's men have gone as well? If they don't get snapped up in the summer, those players will once again be the mainstay of our side next year.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon May 13, 2019 2:29 pm

Dan wrote:
TBS wrote:

Two brilliant posts & spot on too. I feel like I’ve lost £100 but found a tenner.

This.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum