{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stick or twist ?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Stick or twist ?

Postby steiner » Mon May 13, 2019 12:02 pm

Stick...see where we are nov/dec, and whether we turn up for the bigger games and try to play on the front foot from kick off and not after half time or vice versa especially at home,, and stick with one keeper, All that faffing about after Bobs injury confused me never mind the players.
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Mon May 13, 2019 12:04 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
JLStag wrote:Unfortunately i think we have another season of hoof to look forward to

Errr. What ?

Glad I am not the only one confused by this comment. Up until Bobby got injured we played some of the best football I had seen in years.

Conrad has made some amazing saves and Jordan Smith was good but our play took a turn for the worse when Bobby was injured no doubt. Sounds odd that a goalkeeper should dictate how we play but he did.

I would give him one more season. This time it will really be his team so no excuses. I would keep the back 6 that was so good plus Turner, Tomlinson and Bishop.

Other than that any who go I won't be regretting all have performed at certain parts but none are irreplacable at this level.
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Postby JLStag » Mon May 13, 2019 12:11 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
JLStag wrote:Unfortunately i think we have another season of hoof to look forward to

Errr. What ?

err what i said... since january barring a few games we've pretty much bypassed the midfield and just sent it up top. We've not played good football
JLStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon May 13, 2019 12:30 pm

Stick. I’ll reserve judgement until after Christmas.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Mon May 13, 2019 2:45 pm

24 teams all have a manager and according to most on here 20 managers would get the sack each season. I can’t believe the negatives I read on here. Be careful what you wish for because believe me we are in a place that most clubs can only dream of..we are building a solid future and improving year on year on and off the pitch.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon May 13, 2019 2:50 pm

CassellsCap wrote:24 teams all have a manager and according to most on here 20 managers would get the sack each season. I can’t believe the negatives I read on here. Be careful what you wish for because believe me we are in a place that most clubs can only dream of..we are building a solid future and improving year on year on and off the pitch.

Not the case at all. Each club has a target. Avoid the drop, challenge the playoffs, push tor top 3 etc.

What the fans expect and what the owners accept may be different. But rest assured they all have targets and their job depends on hitting it.

Morcambe won't sack Bentley for being in the bottom 6 every season, because his job is to keep them up.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon May 13, 2019 2:58 pm

His remit was to get promotion.

He didn’t get promotion therefore he failed.

After achieving the impossible last season of somehow getting us out of the playoffs you’d hope he’d have learned.

Depends how forgiving JR is. I’m 50/50 so wouldn’t like to be him on it
Last edited by adamstag on Mon May 13, 2019 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby kcassellsfootygenius » Mon May 13, 2019 3:02 pm

Not to sound like an old man but this instant demand for results is a sign of the times.

Some peoples of him have been set in stone and will never change.

Personally I want to see progression year on year. Nobody can deny we progressed from last year and if we do the same again by 10% or even 5% then we will be promoted.

Or we can gamble on a new manager and a massive restructure which some believe this mythical new manager will deliver but there is no guarantee of that.
kcassellsfootygenius
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon May 13, 2019 3:04 pm

Can we have a poll ???
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Never easy » Mon May 13, 2019 3:08 pm

Had a poll in our house 1 vote TWIST
Never easy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby StagsForLIFE » Mon May 13, 2019 3:24 pm

I'd stick and go for it again, DF has my support for next season should the Radfords wish to keep him. However I think if he failed again, he would have to go.
StagsForLIFE
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MOTG » Mon May 13, 2019 3:36 pm

Stick. I cannot see the point in changing now. However give him until November time and if not in play off position or thereabouts then re access the situation.
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby jpstags » Mon May 13, 2019 3:43 pm

MOTG wrote:Stick. I cannot see the point in changing now. However give him until November time and if not in play off position or thereabouts then re access the situation.

Yes good idea, lets balls another season up with Flipflop.
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yellowstagsfan » Mon May 13, 2019 3:58 pm

Most definitely stick. Nothing comes from changing managers every season only decline. He has until Christmas to keep us in the top five. If not his position should be reviewed
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon May 13, 2019 4:40 pm

yellowstagsfan wrote:Most definitely stick. Nothing comes from changing managers every season only decline. He has until Christmas to keep us in the top five. If not his position should be reviewed

Two of the three teams who won automatic promotion had managers in their first full season with the club, so quite frankly this line that people keep trotting out is tosh.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon May 13, 2019 4:58 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
yellowstagsfan wrote:Most definitely stick. Nothing comes from changing managers every season only decline. He has until Christmas to keep us in the top five. If not his position should be reviewed

Two of the three teams who won automatic promotion had managers in their first full season with the club, so quite frankly this line that people keep trotting out is tosh.
That proves diddly squat. The team that won the league quite easily in the end, kept the manager who "failed" in the playoffs the season before.

If DF was sacked, JR would have to pay up contracts ( not just DF's but his assistant and the recruitment manager ). The new manager would be left with players currently under contract that he dosen't necessary want. This would take money from the player budget, like this season blighted us. We are not far off, patience is needed. If we had finished bottom third, there would be no argument as JR would have sacked him. We finished fourth and would be in a playoff final, had we had the luxury of decent officials.

It's hypocritical that a new manager would get us promoted and that includes Darryl Clark, Keith Hill or anyone else you care to mention.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon May 13, 2019 5:03 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

That proves diddly squat. The team that won the league quite easily in the end, kept the manager who "failed" in the playoffs the season before.

If DF was sacked, JR would have to pay up contracts ( not just DF's but his assistant and the recruitment manager ). The new manager would be left with players currently under contract that he dosen't necessary want. This would take money from the player budget, like this season blighted us. We are not far off, patience is needed. If we had finished bottom third, there would be no argument as JR would have sacked him. We finished fourth and would be in a playoff final, had we had the luxury of decent officials.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda. We didn’t have so we aren’t. We had 120 minutes following any supposed dodgy decisions, not to mention the 46 games before that. Yes Lincoln stuck with the Cowleys, but they weren’t expected to be promoted last season. They also had won numerous trophies with the club before failing in the play-offs, they were never in danger of being sacked. If your only example is the Cowleys, who I can’t stand but are clearly very good at what they do, then it’s not a valid argument.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon May 13, 2019 5:09 pm

If JR was going to sack Flitcroft, wouldn't he have done it by now?

It's a stick from me
Last edited by bobbystagsfan on Mon May 13, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Mon May 13, 2019 5:36 pm

Stick. Review in November.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon May 13, 2019 7:29 pm

It will be too late in November.

If he doesn't go now he should be kept until the end of next season instead of wasting more money with little chance of improving enough to go up after Chrimbo.

I'm not holding my breath though and can see another year of failure coming.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon May 13, 2019 8:24 pm

The worrying thing is that DF has almost acknowledged that he is not good at recruitment by bringing Greg Abbott as Director of Football. DF said he wanted to concentrate on coaching on the training pitch. However the football we have played in the 2nd half of the season has not been as good as the 1st half of the season and we have played games where we have hardly had a shot on goal - Notts County (away), Newport (away), Port Vale (away), Nothampton (away), MK Dons (away). Some fans have blamed the strikers but sometimes they have had very little service as there has been very little quality in the final third. We have also started playing long balls when we have no target man who can hold the ball up. We have had no effective Plan B all season and the fault lies firmly at the manager's door. Opposition managers have worked out that if they press our back five then we will just end up lumping it long to Tyler Walker and CJ Hamilton (or to Danny Rose for a flick on).

It all seemed to go downhill from being 1-0 up away at Forest Green Rovers. We could not push on for the win. We did not turn up for the 2nd half which has been another feature of the season. In the last 17 games we have W6 D4 L7 which is not promotion form and simply not good enough bearing in mind we have one of the biggest budgets in the league with a massive backroom staff, overnight stays and top quality training facilities at St George's Park and Loughborough. I very much doubt Accrington Stanley, Rochdale and Newport had this backing and support. It's time for JR to stop pampering DF and the players and apply some tough love.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:27 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:It will be too late in November.

If he doesn't go now he should be kept until the end of next season instead of wasting more money with little chance of improving enough to go up after Chrimbo.

I'm not holding my breath though and can see another year of failure coming.

This. I do love those saying give him until Christmas as a new manager coming at that point could send us backwards even more so than if we don't make the change now. (Remember the newest professional non league club)

A new manager at that point would need funds and will be paying over the odds for players, after DF will have blown huge funds in the summer (if sacked). JR ain't got a bottomless bucket of money to spend. Already had a county fan suggest he's heard rumours we're likely to be financial difficulty after going for it this season and failing (suggest the usual scaremongering), given JR's tweet last night I also suggest this is far from the case.

It's either act now or he's here for the season. We'll do well upto February and lose our way again I fear.

However i'll support whatever decision JR chooses to make.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue May 14, 2019 12:26 pm

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum