{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Preparation, away games, etc.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Preparation, away games, etc.

Postby Vice President » Mon May 06, 2019 6:39 pm

It is ironic that we went to all the cost and effort of training at St Georges Park and had an overnight stay (rather than a simple 2 hour journey) ....... and within 90 seconds (when we should be at our sharpest) we don't know how to defend a simple corner.

What on earth were MacDonald & Hamilton doing? - They were both in no-mans land, marking absolutely nobody - and as a result we give a free header for a goal that denied us automatic promotion. I am not blaming those two players per se - but the entire preparation is questionable.

These overnight stays are a waste of money and are counter productive in my opinion. Our away record this season has not been good. If 5,000 fans can travel 2 hours on a match day and be wide awake in the first 90 seconds, then surely the players can. No excuses.

Exeter was a justified overnight stay (and that was a great performance), but the rest of our away performances & overnight stays have been very questionable.

I believe that you always get a better night's sleep in your own bed - it makes you a bit more alert.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Re: Preparation, away games, etc.

Postby Sedgwick » Mon May 06, 2019 6:55 pm

Re the last point about sleep.

Sleep scientist Matthew Walker says in his book, that when you stay and sleep somewhere new your brain is half awake and never goes into full deep sleep. He also says that a good night's sleep is such an advantage in sport and is nature biggest performance enhancer that if you could ask two boxers how much sleep they had the night before a fight and betted on the one who got the most, they'd win 80% of the time. Seems these overnight stays for such short trips are putting us a disadvantage and might explain why were half asleep so to say in the first 45..

I think we should seriously question over night stays... A 2-3 hour drive sat on a comfy coach and then a walk around does no harm imo. And plays are better rested in their own homes. Our away form hasn't been great and if they are interested in sport science etc they should seriously look into this.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Rigsby » Mon May 06, 2019 6:56 pm

Totally agree. Overnight stops should be confined to the very longest trips: Carlisle, Plymouth, Exeter etc. Results after such stays simply don't justify them. It was the same under Evans too. Just take the coach, it always used to be good enough.
Rigsby
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby jpstags » Mon May 06, 2019 6:59 pm

Greedy Dave even insisted on an overnight stop for Northampton. He's been given everything he has asked for, shame he hasn't produced the goods.
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon May 06, 2019 7:01 pm

I agree VP. The overnight stays are a complete waste of money unless it is a very long journey.. I'm sure some players would prefer to sleep in their own beds.

Are there any games where we did not have an overnight stay? Notts County? Lincoln City?
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Mon May 06, 2019 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon May 06, 2019 7:01 pm

jpstags wrote:Greedy Dave even insisted on an overnight stop for Northampton. He's been given everything he has asked for, shame he hasn't produced the goods.

There's still a chance
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon May 06, 2019 7:04 pm

I mostly agree. However, don’t forget many of the squad (including management) do not live in the Mansfield area. At least over-nighters give them time together before the match.

Having said that, I’d have made them walk home after some recent performances! ;)
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Mon May 06, 2019 7:16 pm

I read stuff about your own bed vs a hotel. It's worth them looking into that more. We certainly haven't seen the return from these 2-3 hour trips and staying overnight. It's another night away from families etc as well.

Not sure I'm quite as critical about the MK goal. Marking wasn't great but sometimes they just fall nice. It was a good ball and good header. The biggest question for me is how we failed to trouble their keeper.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon May 06, 2019 7:21 pm

What was interesting about the corners was that Preston was stationed on the six yard box and he was the one who should have cleared it. He was not marking anyone.

Turner took over that role and headed away every corner whilst he was on the field.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon May 06, 2019 7:34 pm

From the video I thought Wheeler lost Walker for their goal.

Re overnights, I don't see much point in the for trips that are only a couple of hours away.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Mon May 06, 2019 7:40 pm

I thought it was Bishop who lost his man after watching the highlights.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Field Mill » Mon May 06, 2019 8:03 pm

They're bottlers. It's simp!e. Prepare how you like, spend how you like, organise how you like, they have no heart. Sad but true. Three defeats in the final three games when you're going for promotion? Come on!
Field Mill
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby tillydog123 » Mon May 06, 2019 9:10 pm

Been banging on about this for last seasons
We are average league 2 not Man Utd or Barcelona can’t see how JR would sanction this apart from odd long ones
Complete joke and jolly
Reduction of overnight costs to towards a prolific striker to get out of league 2 next season
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon May 06, 2019 9:13 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:I mostly agree. However, don’t forget many of the squad (including management) do not live in the Mansfield area. At least over-nighters give them time together before the match.

Having said that, I’d have made them walk home after some recent performances! ;)

In a lot of the away debacles you'd have been forgiven thinking these players have never seen each other before they walked out onto the pitch.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon May 06, 2019 9:38 pm

Jamie wrote:I read stuff about your own bed vs a hotel. It's worth them looking into that more. We certainly haven't seen the return from these 2-3 hour trips and staying overnight. It's another night away from families etc as well.

Not sure I'm quite as critical about the MK goal. Marking wasn't great but sometimes they just fall nice. It was a good ball and good header. The biggest question for me is how we failed to trouble their keeper.

There's a great Joe Rogan podcast with Matthew Walker that's all about actual sleep science, worth a listen to and makes you wonder about these overnight stays and lack of performance.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum