{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Greg Abbott

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Greg Abbott

Postby pemill » Sun May 05, 2019 12:41 pm

Is it me or has his appointment upset the balance behind the scenes, I'm not sure exactly what his role entails as Director of Football Operations but has it interfered with what DF/BF are all about. I know I maybe clutching at straws but our performances have changed and I'm not sure why. Could he be a chief too many or that extra cook in the kitchen so to speak.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Re: Greg Abbott

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun May 05, 2019 12:47 pm

I don't think it's Abbott's fault that we have been playing so poorly recently. Doesn't he just recommend players for transfer to leave DF and BF to focus on training and tactics
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun May 05, 2019 12:54 pm

Could have a point. DFs transfer dealings in the summer when it was him doing the work was excellent. The transfer dealings in January when it wasn’t him doing it has been extremely poor.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Sun May 05, 2019 1:20 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:Could have a point. DFs transfer dealings in the summer when it was him doing the work was excellent. The transfer dealings in January when it wasn’t him doing it has been extremely poor.

But none of us were saying that at the time, Grant & Ajose etc. looked a better quality of player and many were raving about them. Grant even had a couple of strong performances to begin with. For me we brought in better players but managed to build a worse team. Additionally we didn’t get a striker capable of being a plan b option which is where we’ve been lacking since Davies got injured.

Finally with the radford’s in Portugal a lot more will it be left to the likes of Abbott to keep the club running?
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Sun May 05, 2019 1:23 pm

If you want to look for "What changed our season" in my opinion (for what it's worth) I see the returning of Timi Elsnik to Derby to make room for Jorge Grant as a much underrated influence as to why it's gone so poorly since January.

I'm not in the blame game and we're not dead yet, let's remember.
Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Sun May 05, 2019 1:24 pm

The injury to Hayden White was a big blow and might have contributed as well.
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Sun May 05, 2019 2:06 pm

Son Of Sherwood wrote:If you want to look for "What changed our season" in my opinion (for what it's worth) I see the returning of Timi Elsnik to Derby to make room for Jorge Grant as a much underrated influence as to why it's gone so poorly since January.

I'm not in the blame game and we're not dead yet, let's remember.

This
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby robeyre » Sun May 05, 2019 5:42 pm

Sweden Stag wrote:The injury to Hayden White was a big blow and might have contributed as well.

This
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Vice President » Sun May 05, 2019 6:00 pm

The fact is that post January we have deteriorated. Not sure how much of that is to do with Abbott/DF/the players, but our January transfer window was appalling.

However, it is ludicrous to say that it was down to swapping Elsnik for Grant. Grant is better than Elsnik - and if we had have played him properly in the last few games we might have been promoted by now.

That said - it is not simply down to Elsnik Vs Grant:-

- We have had insufficient cover at full back (and especially on the right hand side) all season. Hayden White's injury was a massive blow.
- We have been deficient in the striker department since Davies was injured - and Ajose was a very, very poor plan B.
- Danny Rose, despite the 'love-in' is not good enough.
- Playing with 5 defenders all season was very negative. So many times when we had to change it to 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 we looked so much better. But it was too little, too late, in too many games.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun May 05, 2019 6:32 pm

robeyre wrote:
Sweden Stag wrote:The injury to Hayden White was a big blow and might have contributed as well.

This

This x2
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun May 05, 2019 6:45 pm

I reckon if Ojenik and White stayed fit we would have been easily promoted by now.

Defenders never really trusted Logan, nor smith for that matter and Jones had it so tough trying to replace White who was fantastic all season and our perfect backup for the back three.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Sun May 05, 2019 6:48 pm

Vice President wrote:The fact is that post January we have deteriorated. Not sure how much of that is to do with Abbott/DF/the players, but our January transfer window was appalling.

However, it is ludicrous to say that it was down to swapping Elsnik for Grant. Grant is better than Elsnik - and if we had have played him properly in the last few games we might have been promoted by now.

- We have had insufficient cover at full back (and especially on the right hand side) all season. Hayden White's injury was a massive blow.
- We have been deficient in the striker department since Davies was injured - and Ajose was a very, very poor plan B.
- Playing with 5 defenders all season was very negative. So many times when we had to change it to 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 we looked so much better. But it was too little, too late, in too many games.

Davies came as a crock ,when he was semi fit he contributed nothing ,shocking signing
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Sun May 05, 2019 6:50 pm

Davies played 40+ games in league one last season.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun May 05, 2019 7:05 pm

Stoney wrote:Davies played 40+ games in league one last season.

We just got unlucky with Davies that’s all hopefully fully fit for next season.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Sun May 05, 2019 7:45 pm

He scored 11 league goals last season before that hardly anything worth shouting about for several seasons .has a history of hamstring problems
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun May 05, 2019 7:46 pm

daddycool wrote:He scored 11 league goals last season before that hardly anything worth shouting about for several seasons .has a history of hamstring problems

Yet it’s his ankle what’s been the problem.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun May 05, 2019 7:53 pm

Vice President wrote:The fact is that post January we have deteriorated. Not sure how much of that is to do with Abbott/DF/the players, but our January transfer window was appalling.

That's just your opinion of course, mine is Grants not fit to lace Elsniks boots
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby northern stag » Mon May 06, 2019 8:01 am

The same Elsnik that couldn’t get a regular start for us or Northampton ?
northern stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dp1976 » Mon May 06, 2019 10:39 am

Was anyone upset when we signed grant ? I think the majority of supporters were pleased, hindsight has proven a wonderful thing
Dp1976
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon May 06, 2019 10:42 am

The problem is it’s not about being excited about signing someone it’s about weather they turn out good for you.

Elsnik was good for us.
Grant isn’t.

Majority DFs summer signings all turned out good for us.
Majority of the jan signings have not.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon May 06, 2019 11:56 am

MTFCMAD wrote:Majority DFs summer signings all turned out good for us.

Two expensive summer signings which involved big transfer fees proved to be very disappointing - Otis Khan (signed to score goals from midfield) and Craig Davies (signed to score goals up front).

Jorge Grant and Nicky Ajose were also disappointing and no doubt very expensive although Gorgeous Jorge could still score the winner for us at Wembley.

Has Nicky Ajose gone back to Charlton or is he injured?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon May 06, 2019 12:13 pm

Flitcroft said that Ajose is injured.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon May 06, 2019 12:16 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:Flitcroft said that Ajose is injured.

What about Khan? I can't remember the last time I saw him play!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon May 06, 2019 12:21 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:The problem is it’s not about being excited about signing someone it’s about weather they turn out good for you.

Elsnik was good for us.
Grant isn’t.

Majority DFs summer signings all turned out good for us.
Majority of the jan signings have not.

The January window is much more difficult than the August one.

Fewer players are out of contract in January compared to August. Clubs are more reluctant to let better players leave mid season as they need them for securing promotion or fighting relegation.

As for Greg Abbott, the time to judge him is not now but next season.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Mon May 06, 2019 12:34 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:Majority DFs summer signings all turned out good for us.

Two expensive summer signings which involved big transfer fees proved to be very disappointing - Otis Khan (signed to score goals from midfield) and Craig Davies (signed to score goals up front).

Jorge Grant and Nicky Ajose were also disappointing and no doubt very expensive although Gorgeous Jorge could still score the winner for us at Wembley.

Has Nicky Ajose gone back to Charlton or is he injured?

Khan was good before injury and DF never really gave him enough minutes afterwards, I’m sure he would like to leave after seeing a loan player in Grant been given more opportunities than himself.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum