{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Newport in Play-offs sponsored by babes in Lime Green Jelly.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Newport in Play-offs sponsored by babes in Lime Green Je

Postby part time pete » Fri May 10, 2019 8:44 am

The original ref was the guy who sent walker off at the mill against FGR, he also had us at Grimsby when we won 1-0.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Jamie » Fri May 10, 2019 8:45 am

lifestags wrote:Proud of the boys after last night, they showed real desire and composure. Every time we went forward we looked like we were going to score, Had a couple of good chances and many occasions if we moved the ball right we would of been in. Newport rely on a long ball and that horrible crowd making it hostile. Play like that on Sunday and we should win.

Sorry I'm struggling to agree with that. Yes first half we looked dangerous and almost got in a few times. CJ took his chance but we didn't actually create many good scoring chances/ final balls.

Second half we totally ran out of steam and were lucky (and unlucky) with the draw. The peno was nailed on and if it wasn't for some quality saves from Logan we'd have lost that game.

They were there for the taking first half and we did better than recent weeks but again lacked any real quality, the goal aside, to actually kill a team off or punish them.

As soon as CJ (who was dead on his feet) went up top, you knew it was game over for us in terms of scoring.

Better effort and at least we didn't lose but our fitness levels and final ball are a real worry.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri May 10, 2019 9:09 am

Did anyone else think we should have had a penalty when Tyler messed up his one on one?

Mellis was following up and looked favourite to get to the lose ball until he was rammed from behind by the following defender. I don't think he dived and I know he hadn't reached the ball but with the goal keeper on the floor he had an empty net in front of him. There was no appeal but I thought he was barged from behind. Watching replays haven't changed my mind and that could have put us two up.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Fri May 10, 2019 9:15 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Did anyone else think we should have had a penalty when Tyler messed up his one on one?

Mellis was following up and looked favourite to get to the lose ball until he was rammed from behind by the following defender. I don't think he dived and I know he hadn't reached the ball but with the goal keeper on the floor he had an empty net in front of him. There was no appeal but I thought he was barged from behind. Watching replays haven't changed my mind and that could have put us two up.

Totally agree. I honestly do not get how anyone can think it was a penalty against us for their goal still. He gets a hand on the ball before he even touches their player.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri May 10, 2019 9:24 am

I've just watched the highlights on Sky again and they now have another angle on this. Mellis was definitely barged in the centre of his back from behind and I think it was 100% a penalty.

Add another one to the list of poor decisions. I'm surprised we didn't appeal more but maybe everyone was watching Tyler.

If you have Sky Q you can see it on the favourites button i.e. the one with three dots ...
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Fri May 10, 2019 9:28 am

Jamie wrote:
lifestags wrote:Proud of the boys after last night, they showed real desire and composure. Every time we went forward we looked like we were going to score, Had a couple of good chances and many occasions if we moved the ball right we would of been in. Newport rely on a long ball and that horrible crowd making it hostile. Play like that on Sunday and we should win.

Sorry I'm struggling to agree with that. Yes first half we looked dangerous and almost got in a few times. CJ took his chance but we didn't actually create many good scoring chances/ final balls.

Second half we totally ran out of steam and were lucky (and unlucky) with the draw. The peno was nailed on and if it wasn't for some quality saves from Logan we'd have lost that game.

They were there for the taking first half and we did better than recent weeks but again lacked any real quality, the goal aside, to actually kill a team off or punish them.

As soon as CJ (who was dead on his feet) went up top, you knew it was game over for us in terms of scoring.

Better effort and at least we didn't lose but our fitness levels and final ball are a real worry.

I think we got into situations were if the ball was played correctly then we would of been in and played through them a number of times. Off the top of my head these situations were

Mellis was in and skied a shot over
Rose should of played in Walker
Hamilton Should of played in Mellis
Walker 1-1
Walker Red card situation
Jones should be picking a man out from a free cross.

It was a bit backs against the wall 2nd half but it was always going to be, thats why Newport are so good at home, the number of balls they put into the box and how hostile their fans are. I was proud that we at least tried to play some football and showed some desire to stay strong at the back.

I honestly think if we can move the ball around like that on Sunday and play on the front foot for longer then we will win.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Beyond The Pale » Fri May 10, 2019 9:29 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I've just watched the highlights on Sky again and they now have another angle on this. Mellis was definitely barged in the centre of his back from behind and I think it was 100% a penalty.

Add another one to the list of poor decisions. I'm surprised we didn't appeal more but maybe everyone was watching Tyler.

If you have Sky Q you can see it on the favourites button i.e. the one with three dots ...

I've not watched the game back, but Danny Rose was manhandled to the ground in the penalty area inside the first three minutes wasn't he?
I backed my car into a cop car the other day, he just drove off, sometimes life's okay...
Beyond The Pale
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Foggy » Fri May 10, 2019 9:31 am

Blackburn Stag wrote:Absolutely fuming. Disgusting referring. We all seem to agree that O'Brien should have seen red, even without the drag back on Rose's neck as they both went up a few mins after (I know Danny doesn't do himself any favours with form for this) but it's beyond me how anyone can see that penalty decision & condone it. If that's a defender winning the ball like that in a challenge in the area it's a brilliant tackle. Fed up of it, especially after last min 'offside' v Oldham as well.

And after he dragged Rose's neck what does the ref do? Give a drop ball of course! It was a very dangerous thing to do and he got away with it again.
Foggy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri May 10, 2019 9:33 am

TBS wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I've just watched the highlights on Sky again and they now have another angle on this. Mellis was definitely barged in the centre of his back from behind and I think it was 100% a penalty.

I've not watched the game back, but Danny Rose was manhandled to the ground in the penalty area inside the first three minutes wasn't he?

yeah he was dragged to the floor with no attempt being made to play the ball. a really poor show for the officials, sky need to start dishing some dirt on these poor decisions because how many times are they gonna keep happening?

if we'd had VAR in that game we probably would've won about 4-0 from the penalty shouts and sending off
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Fri May 10, 2019 9:35 am

I know these decisions were bad and we have been hard done by but I kind of dont want to focus on them we have had so much negativity recent weeks and try and focus on the positives of last night, we are in a fantastic position to reach Wembley.

Yes the referee has had a shocker but hopefully it wont make a difference come the end of the 2nd leg.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri May 10, 2019 9:53 am

coulda woulda shoulda, however it didn’t

destiny is in the players hands Sunday, only one question

‘How much do they want it?’

we ripped um to bits first 25 mins, then did the normal of sitting back and being dragged into the oppositions way of playing ie hooof

get it on the floor and play like you can and we win Sunday, don’t & we wimp out

over to you lot
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Fri May 10, 2019 10:09 am

Shows how well we did when we are unhappy with a draw. 99% of us would have snapped your hand off for 1-1 before the game.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri May 10, 2019 10:24 am

Hjeldefan wrote:Shows how well we did when we are unhappy with a draw. 99% of us would have snapped your hand off for 1-1 before the game.

I said I'd take a draw before the game and I'm quite pleased just because we didn't lose. If we were 1-0 down and we equalised we'd all be buzzing!

I feel more confident after the first half we played, if we can do that at home I think we'll win
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri May 10, 2019 10:25 am

yorkshire stag wrote:coulda woulda shoulda, however it didn’t

destiny is in the players hands Sunday, only one question

‘How much do they want it?’

we ripped um to bits first 25 mins, then did the normal of sitting back and being dragged into the oppositions way of playing ie hooof

get it on the floor and play like you can and we win Sunday, don’t & we wimp out

over to you lot

did we sit back? or did Newport inevitably put pressure on us and try to score a goal?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby stagtastic1 » Fri May 10, 2019 10:33 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Of course it was a penalty. You can’t get the ball and go through somebody anymore. It’s not the 80’s, unfortunately for us.

He CLEARLY got the ball first.

It doesn’t matter whether he got he ball first or not, he still went through the player.

If taking the ball first and then momentum takes you into the player is a penalty then we should not have been playing last night as we would already be promoted.
My reasoning being therefore that we should have had a penalty on Saturday when the MK keeper took the ball and then wiped out Preston.
If we score we get the draw we needed.
Just my opinion though and not 80’s related.
stagtastic1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby WVStag » Fri May 10, 2019 10:50 am

I for one am very happy with what I saw last night. I finished work early and made the trip down to Newport convinced we were going to get a good hiding but what we actually got was a spirited, battling performance. That 150 mile drive home could've been about as fun as toothache, but I drove back feeling buoyed by the performance.

The start we made was excellent, on the front foot, exactly what we always want from our side and deservedly went ahead. Going 1-0 up in a play off game early doors, against a team who play in that fashion was always going to be turned into the kind of game it ended up being- defending the big lump forward, and having your clearances put back on your head as quickly as you sent it away. I expected us to concede, but to concede in that way was a horrible blow. Say what you might about the penalty decision but when a keeper comes charging out as clumsily as that, it becomes a classic 'seen them given'. Can't actually fault Logan at all other than the incident, which again was arguable. 2 unbelievable saves where they should have scored to keep us in front. But then he did a Logan thing to do which was far form ideal.

Cannot fault the players effort one bit. It was night and day from that disaster-class last weekend. Competed for every first and second ball, and the players ran themselves into the ground for the cause. Think we can feel far more confident for Sunday now on our own patch.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby rob_bie33 » Fri May 10, 2019 11:07 am

Not sure if it's been mentioned but even CJ got stuck in, especially first half, and won a fair few challenges. A good battling effort from all!
rob_bie33
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby FarnieStag » Fri May 10, 2019 11:08 am

Baffled by the critics about last night on here. We didn't sit back or go deep, for once I thought we had plenty of players up top throughout the game. We were the better team on the night and deserved to be bringing a one-goal lead back to Field Mill.
BUT we have to go into the second leg with the same spirit and fight and DF MUST start with two strikers. I'd rather it was Ajose partnering Walker though. We can't afford to be patient or tippy tappy on Sunday and slowly play ourselves into the game, we have to go at their throats from the first minute. We're going to have play Newport at their own game and be strong and direct. Plus the crowd will have a very big role play.... we need to be vocal and intimidating. Come on Mansfield... you've now given us hope!
FarnieStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby victor A block » Fri May 10, 2019 11:38 am

Would have taken a draw before and we definitely robbed by a poor ref.
Much better intensity first half but we did fade.
McDonald and Rose are 2 players who endear themselves to the fans by demonstrating effort and commitment, but in both cases is that enough??? Mac in particular looked a fish out of water, unsure of his role. Both, I think the manager may be looking at.
Thought Logan ( pen decision aside) was great as were the back 3, esp Turner.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri May 10, 2019 12:38 pm

Mcdonald and Rose are the more "fresh" players.

Newport know where are strong at home and could afford to have to come to field Mill in a losing position. When teams are desperate for a goal, especially Newport, smack the ball up the field.

We didn't revert to dropping back as much because we had Rose up there challenging for our clearances. Something we have been lacking recently. Now Ajose is back we only need to chuck Hamilton up top if we end up chasing the game.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri May 10, 2019 1:24 pm

I can't understand anyone wanting Ajose to start. He's just back from a lengthy injury and must be far from match fit. This game will be another battle and not one to carry players in.

By all means bring him on for the last 10 - 15 if necessary but don't start with him especially as everyone earned their starting places last night.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri May 10, 2019 2:15 pm

I thought Rose and Macca both did good jobs for the team.

Rose was nuisance and won a lot of headers. For such a big side going forward, they're poor at the back aerially. Yes his passing wasn't great on a couple of occasions, the pass to Walker was a lot harder than it looked when showed from a different angle.

Macca is what he is. Sometimes he presses when he shouldn't do but he put in immense effort. He played a huge part in the goal and also put Jones into a brilliant position with a great pass but Jones cross was poor.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby S7AGS » Fri May 10, 2019 2:52 pm

I think Rose deserves more credit than he's getting for his involvement last night...Considering his lack of game time, he was all over the pitch breaking up play, winning key free kicks in attacking areas (as well as defensive areas to relieve pressure). On a few occasions he was up involved in attacking play and then 30 seconds later heading clear from Newport long balls...

A few loose passes went astray but overall, just what we have been missing in my opinion. Just needs a goal on Sunday to boost his confidence for the final!

Annoying listening to people last night saying 'get him off' ect because he hadn't scored - some fans have clearly never played and don't understand the 'additional work' good players do in certain positions.....
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby WVStag » Fri May 10, 2019 3:09 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I thought Rose and Macca both did good jobs for the team.

Rose was nuisance and won a lot of headers. For such a big side going forward, they're poor at the back aerially. Yes his passing wasn't great on a couple of occasions, the pass to Walker was a lot harder than it looked when showed from a different angle.

Macca is what he is. Sometimes he presses when he shouldn't do but he put in immense effort. He played a huge part in the goal and also put Jones into a brilliant position with a great pass but Jones cross was poor.

Agree with both points here, particularly on Macca. Far more effective in the middle of midfield IMO. Competes for everything and picks up a lot of second balls, which we needed in a game like that yesterday.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Conker » Fri May 10, 2019 4:11 pm

All I know is under no circumstance should CJ be upfront at any point in the game, we stopped being a threat once he went upfront last night.

For me Rose did well, he’s sort of doing that job that a lot of people don’t see.
Conker
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum