{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Players Released, Transfers & Loans 2019-2020

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Players Released, Transfers & Loans 2019-2020

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:56 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:Grant was definitely the most over hyped player I’ve seen for years. So disappointed with him in general and not really a team player in any sense.

I agree with that but he was outstanding at County the year before. Could be a case of 'I've made it so I can take my foot off the gas'
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:04 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:Grant was definitely the most over hyped player I’ve seen for years. So disappointed with him in general and not really a team player in any sense.

I agree with that but he was outstanding at County the year before. Could be a case of 'I've made it so I can take my foot off the gas'

If he signs permanently for a club, he may see it as a challenge and do well in league 1.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby G B » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:08 pm

The suspicions regarding Grants poor attitude were confirmed a couple of weeks ago by our former manager during a discussion with a mate of mine who's a Stags fan and who knows DF pretty well. Apparently described as the most talented player he'd managed with by far the worst attitude.
G B
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:14 pm

G B wrote:The suspicions regarding Grants poor attitude were confirmed a couple of weeks ago by our former manager during a discussion with a mate of mine who's a Stags fan and who knows DF pretty well. Apparently described as the most talented player he'd managed with by far the worst attitude.

Plus the way the lad played, he was talented as we all knew but for instances when we lost the ball he almost threw a paddy and made no effort to put a challenge in or track back and win the ball back. At times it was like we had 10 players when he wasn't getting in to the game, but we were always hoping for that little bit of magic we knew he had. I'm not saying he's a bad player as we saw he's not after the first half of the season with county and his first few games for us, but his attitude didn't seem tough or right enough for league 2.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:01 am

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:29 am

Swindon have had a good summer so far.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:02 am

lifestags wrote:Swindon have had a good summer so far.

Fancy them to do well this season. Recruited well & had a good end to last season.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:57 am

just wait till we start signing the class of 2019 :?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:40 pm

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:49 pm

Reuben Reid
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:59 am

Former Stag Matt Hamshaw and Steven Gerrard on this picture. May mean Ben Turner has also finished whatever course he was doing.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:48 am

Reece Brown Forest Green to Huddersfield undisclosed fee on a 3 year contract.

I remember him ripping us to bits away at Mardy Lane in a cup match when he was on loan there. Only a young lad then but it was obvious he had the skill to make it at a good level. Wish we'd signed him before Forest Green did.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:17 am

Richie Bennett signs for Port Vale.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:36 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
G B wrote:The suspicions regarding Grants poor attitude were confirmed a couple of weeks ago by our former manager during a discussion with a mate of mine who's a Stags fan and who knows DF pretty well. Apparently described as the most talented player he'd managed with by far the worst attitude.

Plus the way the lad played, he was talented as we all knew but for instances when we lost the ball he almost threw a paddy and made no effort to put a challenge in or track back and win the ball back. At times it was like we had 10 players when he wasn't getting in to the game, but we were always hoping for that little bit of magic we knew he had. I'm not saying he's a bad player as we saw he's not after the first half of the season with county and his first few games for us, but his attitude didn't seem tough or right enough for league 2.

I'm aware I'll sound like a Jorge Grant cheerleader here but I find it odd how an alleged conversation with someones mate and Flitcroft somehow 'confirm' an attitude problem.

I'm also conscious that saying stuff like 'you can tell by the way the lad played' is also not that clear cut. If you've played football at any decent level I'm sure delving into the psyche of a player isn't that hard to do. Mentioned above is 'throwing a paddy when we lost the ball'. Losing the ball for a player who's game is better suited to us having the ball is clearly going to frustrate him massively.

The whole no effort to putting a challenge in also not something I agree with because contrary to what a lot of people think, I have seen evidence of Grant working hard lying in the fact when watching him specifically as one of our better players, he doesn't seem to work more or less hard than anyone else.

The profile of Jorge Grant as a player is just not something that the majority of fans at this club enjoy take to as well as others. The fans of this club have a tendency to hound out any player that may well have talent but doesn't run around like a lunatic, which explains the love in of players like Danny Rose and Neal Bishop.

I'll 100% be in the minority with all this.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby BH_Stag » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:48 am

WVStag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

I'm aware I'll sound like a Jorge Grant cheerleader here but I find it odd how an alleged conversation with someones mate and Flitcroft somehow 'confirm' an attitude problem.

I'm also conscious that saying stuff like 'you can tell by the way the lad played' is also not that clear cut. If you've played football at any decent level I'm sure delving into the psyche of a player isn't that hard to do. Mentioned above is 'throwing a paddy when we lost the ball'. Losing the ball for a player who's game is better suited to us having the ball is clearly going to frustrate him massively.

The whole no effort to putting a challenge in also not something I agree with because contrary to what a lot of people think, I have seen evidence of Grant working hard lying in the fact when watching him specifically as one of our better players, he doesn't seem to work more or less hard than anyone else.

The profile of Jorge Grant as a player is just not something that the majority of fans at this club enjoy take to as well as others. The fans of this club have a tendency to hound out any player that may well have talent but doesn't run around like a lunatic, which explains the love in of players like Danny Rose and Neal Bishop.

Agree with WV on this r.e views on his work rate. I don’t think it’s particularly true to say he doesn’t work hard. It’s the same with Mellis, just because he’s one of the more technically gifted players he has often been brandished lazy or whatever when like WV says, they don’t work any more or less than anybody else. You could perhaps say Bishop is the exception, but that’s his specific role in the team. Bishop can’t pass the ball like Mellis, or create like Grant when he’s on form, but he doesn’t receive criticism for it because that isn’t his game, just like defensively hounding players down constantly isn’t Grants.

That said there’s no doubt you can question his performances later on. It’s a shame it didn’t work out better for Grant, he looked brilliant early doors, but I don’t think it can be put down to work rate.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:56 am

BH_Stag wrote:
WVStag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Agree with WV on this r.e views on his work rate. I don’t think it’s particularly true to say he doesn’t work hard. It’s the same with Mellis, just because he’s one of the more technically gifted players he has often been brandished lazy or whatever when like WV says, they don’t work any more or less than anybody else. You could perhaps say Bishop is the exception, but that’s his specific role in the team. Bishop can’t pass the ball like Mellis, or create like Grant when he’s on form, but he doesn’t receive criticism for it because that isn’t his game, just like defensively hounding players down constantly isn’t Grants.

That said there’s no doubt you can question his performances later on. It’s a shame it didn’t work out better for Grant, he looked brilliant early doors, but I don’t think it can be put down to work rate.

While i agree to some extent BH, i think the difference was players like Bish were effective at what they did, hence the lack of criticism. Grant (on paper) should walk this league, so when he doesn't it attracts criticism, which was mostly down to his apparent attitude & lack of effort. If Grant was lazy but effective nobody would probably have said a thing i'd bet - a lot of sins can be forgiven if that player makes us a goal to the good ;)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:20 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:
WVStag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

While i agree to some extent BH, i think the difference was players like Bish were effective at what they did, hence the lack of criticism. Grant (on paper) should walk this league, so when he doesn't it attracts criticism, which was mostly down to his apparent attitude & lack of effort. If Grant was lazy but effective nobody would probably have said a thing i'd bet - a lot of sins can be forgiven if that player makes us a goal to the good ;)

That’s fair, I don’t think anybody can argue against the fact Grant didn’t produce enough quality moments for us, and for the record I don’t think Bishop should come in for criticism as for most of the season he was very effective in his role. I’m just not sure that Grants performances were a result of lack of effort. Too many times after the success at Exeter Jones, Tomlinson, Macca, Bish and others just went to hit long balls and it didn’t suit us or Grant. Could have been down to management but that’s a whole different discussion which I don’t think anybody can be bothered with now :lol:
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:27 pm

I'm not suggesting for a second Grant shouldn't be criticised. He under performed for us and as such should run the gauntlet like others who have done so.

My gripe is with the lazy analysis the majority of our supporters draw for, that if a player under performs it's instantly attributed to a 'lack of effort'. It's just plain daft.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby G B » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:10 pm

The conversation between DF and said person (Stags fan who doesn't lie) did take place regarding Grant. Whether you choose to accept or believe that is entirely your choice. Also, the poor attitude remark was from someone who had managed him. Again, it's only the opinion of said manager but I'd be more inclined to take on board comments from someone who's been working with Grant on a daily basis recently than our interpretation of what Grant might be like. That's providing DF knows him better than one of us of course?
G B
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby WVStag » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:51 pm

G B wrote:The conversation between DF and said person (Stags fan who doesn't lie) did take place regarding Grant. Whether you choose to accept or believe that is entirely your choice. Also, the poor attitude remark was from someone who had managed him. Again, it's only the opinion of said manager but I'd be more inclined to take on board comments from someone who's been working with Grant on a daily basis recently than our interpretation of what Grant might be like. That's providing DF knows him better than one of us of course?

Stunning character reference for your pal then, conversation must've happened ;)

But no, I hear all of that, that may well be true. But even if it is true, but I'm still of the belief he worked no harder or no less than others from what I saw of him on the pitch and that it's lazy to tag him as a player with an attitude problem based on that.

There have been (and will continue to be) players with actual attitude problems far worse than what Jorge Grant supposedly had, and there may even be some in our current squad that had your mate questioned DF on in this chat, he would've said similar things about with regards to an attitude problem.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:58 pm

WVStag wrote:
G B wrote:The conversation between DF and said person (Stags fan who doesn't lie) did take place regarding Grant. Whether you choose to accept or believe that is entirely your choice. Also, the poor attitude remark was from someone who had managed him. Again, it's only the opinion of said manager but I'd be more inclined to take on board comments from someone who's been working with Grant on a daily basis recently than our interpretation of what Grant might be like. That's providing DF knows him better than one of us of course?

Stunning character reference for your pal then, conversation must've happened ;)

But no, I hear all of that, that may well be true. But even if it is true, but I'm still of the belief he worked no harder or no less than others from what I saw of him on the pitch and that it's lazy to tag him as a player with an attitude problem based on that.

There have been (and will continue to be) players with actual attitude problems far worse than what Jorge Grant supposedly had, and there may even be some in our current squad that had your mate questioned DF on in this chat, he would've said similar things about with regards to an attitude problem.

I think it also depends whether Grant was fulfilling the role he was given in the team.

He certainly looked a shadow of himself in the latter games he played for us.

What I would say is, he is a very talented footballer and most league 1 and 2 teams would want to sign him if he played at the standard he showed with us in his early games.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:58 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

Reuben Reid

Spireites thought they were in with a chance of signing him
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:09 pm

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:59 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

see ya then
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:13 pm

Ajose will probably do well for someone else but it wasn’t to be at Mansfield.
Conker
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum