{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

The Flitcroft doubters

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: The Flitcroft doubters

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:48 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:Flip Flop failed, he knew the task in hand and what would happen if he failed, i suspect so does JD, his signings will go along way to seeing if he has a chance or not
Good luck JD, hope your contacts are good


Your tedious use of the term Flip Flop just about sums you up, I guess.


who cares what you think snowflake ? :roll:

The irony. Have you started a thread yet crying into your Cookie Crisp because we’ve not signed anyone ? Have you stamped your feet yet, you petulant no mark ?


isn’t it time you had a mardy again stamped YOUR feet called stagsnet black n blue, slagged Marty off and run off with ya mate to start another message on your own you petulant no mark, or are you trying to forget this childish little dummy throwing :lol:

I think you’re a bit confused. You OK hun?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
User avatar
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 13140
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: The Flitcroft doubters

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:54 pm

Sneag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
HughesyStag89 wrote:Sure it’s just me around here that thinks it was harsh treatment on DF after taking us to our highest finish since the Haslam days

I agree with you.

What some fail to realise is we will pretty much have the same squad next season. The same squad that bottled it with a handful of games to go.

Most on here blame DF and not the players.

Next season should go a long way of showing who bottled it DF or the players.


What we fans think is mostly irrelevant, all we do is voice opinions (although some clearly can't differentiate between opinion & fact).

What is relevant is the man who pays the bills thought he was to blame and sacked him. JR has shown in the last decade that he backs his managers and is for the most part more patient than most fans.

He is by no means a trigger happy owner, and he'll have had enough face to face meetings with DF to assess what was a plausible explanation for failing to meet his targets and what was bullschieze.

I hope JR's decision is a good one.

I don't think anyone can doubt that employing an untried manager and a sidekick of average experience isnt a gamble. (This is a separate issue from the rights and wrongs of sacking DF).
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5387
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: The Flitcroft doubters

Postby yorkstag » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:44 pm

No bigger risk than re cycling failure

It’s a good appointment in my view.
yorkstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1424
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 3:52 pm

Re: The Flitcroft doubters

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:33 pm

yorkstag wrote:No bigger risk than re cycling failure

It’s a good appointment in my view.
Depends what your definition of failure is?

Finishing fourth ( the highest finish for years ), isn't my definition of failure.

Where do you expect us to finish next season ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5387
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: The Flitcroft doubters

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:57 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:Flip Flop failed, he knew the task in hand and what would happen if he failed, i suspect so does JD, his signings will go along way to seeing if he has a chance or not
Good luck JD, hope your contacts are good


Your tedious use of the term Flip Flop just about sums you up, I guess.


who cares what you think snowflake ? :roll:

The irony. Have you started a thread yet crying into your Cookie Crisp because we’ve not signed anyone ? Have you stamped your feet yet, you petulant no mark ?


isn’t it time you had a mardy again stamped YOUR feet called stagsnet black n blue, slagged Marty off and run off with ya mate to start another message on your own you petulant no mark, or are you trying to forget this childish little dummy throwing :lol:

I think you’re a bit confused. You OK hun?[/quote]

not confused fact!, so don’t come on here giving it the “feet stamping & crying” comments, go disappear under your bridge.
you have a short memory for someone with such a nasty ego !
Go play on your alternative stags fan site, oh that’s right you can’t as it failed :lol:
what’s the phrase “ oh the irony”
Our time will come
User avatar
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8660
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: The Flitcroft doubters

Postby Spiritater » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:49 am

I love it when it gets tasty :lol:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 19441
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Re: The Flitcroft doubters

Postby Dan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:06 am

Amber Andy wrote:
yorkstag wrote:No bigger risk than re cycling failure

It’s a good appointment in my view.
Depends what your definition of failure is?

Finishing fourth ( the highest finish for years ), isn't my definition of failure.

Where do you expect us to finish next season ?


Andy Andy Andy. It's not the fact that we finished 4th. It's the fact that we were flying up until January when things started to go wrong, team & tactics changed, results started suffering yet we still had destiny in our own hands right up to the final day, despite being 8 points clear of MK Dons with only a few weeks left of the season & we still messed that up. All of that is down to the manager. Some of us knew we would bottle it because that's what the manager is good at. So all this 'highest finish for years' is completely hollow. It's like saying 'Keith Curle got us to the play off final' which of course he did, but the team he had should've got automatic promotion.

Basically I & many other Stags fans felt like we had lost £1,000 and found £10 after that Newport game & Flitcroft deserved exactly what he got for grabbing failure from the jaws of victory.
Dan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6798
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: The Flitcroft doubters

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:21 am

yorkshire stag wrote:not confused fact!, so don’t come on here giving it the “feet stamping & crying” comments, go disappear under your bridge.
you have a short memory for someone with such a nasty ego !
Go play on your alternative stags fan site, oh that’s right you can’t as it failed :lol:
what’s the phrase “ oh the irony”


My alternative Stags fan site ? The one I made about a dozen posts on ? That one ?

Feet stamping. Oh the irony indeed.
Has John popped in yet and briefed you in on the squad, budget, hotel, season tickets, transfers, his living arrangements?
Do you demand answers to all these pressing issues?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
User avatar
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 13140
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: The Flitcroft doubters

Postby Richard Cranium » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:59 am

Why don't you pair just ffffuck it out
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2944
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:37 pm

Re: The Flitcroft doubters

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:37 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:not confused fact!, so don’t come on here giving it the “feet stamping & crying” comments, go disappear under your bridge.
you have a short memory for someone with such a nasty ego !
Go play on your alternative stags fan site, oh that’s right you can’t as it failed :lol:
what’s the phrase “ oh the irony”


My alternative Stags fan site ? The one I made about a dozen posts on ? That one ?

Feet stamping. Oh the irony indeed.
Has John popped in yet and briefed you in on the squad, budget, hotel, season tickets, transfers, his living arrangements?
Do you demand answers to all these pressing issues?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha


i’ve a great idea, stop trolling my posts Gripper then i don’t have to reply?

as for your little spat and dummy throwing on your alternative
site & posts yes that one when you sulked off and nobody followed you, then came crawling back :lol: yepp irony indeed

bless are you missing a transfers tick tock this pre season, you want me to start one just for you ?
Our time will come
User avatar
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8660
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: The Flitcroft doubters

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:41 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:not confused fact!, so don’t come on here giving it the “feet stamping & crying” comments, go disappear under your bridge.
you have a short memory for someone with such a nasty ego !
Go play on your alternative stags fan site, oh that’s right you can’t as it failed :lol:
what’s the phrase “ oh the irony”


My alternative Stags fan site ? The one I made about a dozen posts on ? That one ?

Feet stamping. Oh the irony indeed.
Has John popped in yet and briefed you in on the squad, budget, hotel, season tickets, transfers, his living arrangements?
Do you demand answers to all these pressing issues?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha


i’ve a great idea, stop trolling my posts Gripper then i don’t have to reply?

as for your little spat and dummy throwing on your alternative
site & posts yes that one when you sulked off and nobody followed you, then came crawling back :lol: yepp irony indeed

bless are you missing a transfers tick tock this pre season, you want me to start one just for you ?


Your comebacks not quite as good as belly’s on this occasion.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2199
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: The Flitcroft doubters

Postby 1970Stag » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:45 pm

Is this a footy site, or a kids playground, it mainly feels like the latter a whole lot of the time!
User avatar
1970Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1349
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:56 pm

Re: The Flitcroft doubters

Postby Chander Lear » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:29 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:Why don't you pair just ffffuck it out


Get in the ring for a charity. everyone on the site donates £10 in for quite a profit
Chander Lear
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3775
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:04 pm

Re: The Flitcroft doubters

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:03 pm

Chander Lear wrote:
Richard Cranium wrote:Why don't you pair just ffffuck it out


Get in the ring for a charity. everyone on the site donates £10 in for quite a profit


Count me out, never gone pay for two grown men to ‘get in the ring together’!!
I am Spartacus
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1176
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:56 am

Re: The Flitcroft doubters

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:41 pm

Dan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
yorkstag wrote:No bigger risk than re cycling failure

It’s a good appointment in my view.
Depends what your definition of failure is?

Finishing fourth ( the highest finish for years ), isn't my definition of failure.

Where do you expect us to finish next season ?


Andy Andy Andy. It's not the fact that we finished 4th. It's the fact that we were flying up until January when things started to go wrong, team & tactics changed, results started suffering yet we still had destiny in our own hands right up to the final day, despite being 8 points clear of MK Dons with only a few weeks left of the season & we still messed that up. All of that is down to the manager. Some of us knew we would bottle it because that's what the manager is good at. So all this 'highest finish for years' is completely hollow. It's like saying 'Keith Curle got us to the play off final' which of course he did, but the team he had should've got automatic promotion.

Basically I & many other Stags fans felt like we had lost £1,000 and found £10 after that Newport game & Flitcroft deserved exactly what he got for grabbing failure from the jaws of victory.

Dan you and others put the blame squarely on DF.

I'm not so sure, I think some of the players bottled it.

As the squad will be very similar, next season will go a long way to determine where the fault lay.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5387
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: The Flitcroft doubters

Postby WVStag » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:49 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Dan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
yorkstag wrote:No bigger risk than re cycling failure

It’s a good appointment in my view.
Depends what your definition of failure is?

Finishing fourth ( the highest finish for years ), isn't my definition of failure.

Where do you expect us to finish next season ?


Andy Andy Andy. It's not the fact that we finished 4th. It's the fact that we were flying up until January when things started to go wrong, team & tactics changed, results started suffering yet we still had destiny in our own hands right up to the final day, despite being 8 points clear of MK Dons with only a few weeks left of the season & we still messed that up. All of that is down to the manager. Some of us knew we would bottle it because that's what the manager is good at. So all this 'highest finish for years' is completely hollow. It's like saying 'Keith Curle got us to the play off final' which of course he did, but the team he had should've got automatic promotion.

Basically I & many other Stags fans felt like we had lost £1,000 and found £10 after that Newport game & Flitcroft deserved exactly what he got for grabbing failure from the jaws of victory.

Dan you and others put the blame squarely on DF.

I'm not so sure, I think some of the players bottled it.

As the squad will be very similar, next season will go a long way to determine where the fault lay.


The manager is held accountable when he and his team fail to deliver. That is a fact.
WVStag
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:27 am

Re: The Flitcroft doubters

Postby stagsfan6493 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:02 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
victor A block wrote:After the amazing success of the "Flitcroft Doubters" league table by Geoff last season, I'm wondering whether one will be produced this season.
Maybe there should be ground rules so we know how to get allocated points or otherwise.
Not sure we will be in a position to blow it this coming season :o


why you think that ?

We won't replace Walker, CJ will go and other teams will strengthen.

If it true we are waiting on a decision on Walker, it shows we ain't got a decent forward lined up.

We will be mid table ( at best ).

Another failure from DF then! Left a squad which can suddenly be mid table by losing 2 players.
stagsfan6493
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: The Flitcroft doubters

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:05 pm

I'm not so sure the players bottled it as there seemed to be plenty of effort. Formations, tactics and substitutions did it for me.

Too many square pegs in round holes and a general lack of belief. I don't think he inspired confidence and that is what was ultimately lacking. Apart from Waler and CJ nobody thought they could score a goal when it counted and chances were fluffed. You may say that wasn't Flitcrofts fault but it was his job to lift the team and make them believe.

Anyway it's gone and we can't change it now so we just have to get behind the new manager and his team.
Who are you calling pedantic? I resemble that remark!
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2040
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: The Flitcroft doubters

Postby stagsfan6493 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:11 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I'm not so sure the players bottled it as there seemed to be plenty of effort. Formations, tactics and substitutions did it for me.

Too many square pegs in round holes and a general lack of belief. I don't think he inspired confidence and that is what was ultimately lacking. Apart from Waler and CJ nobody thought they could score a goal when it counted and chances were fluffed. You may say that wasn't Flitcrofts fault but it was his job to lift the team and make them believe.

Anyway it's gone and we can't change it now so we just have to get behind the new manager and his team.

Don’t be silly! According to Amber Andy we’re suddenly a mid table team at best now the great David Flitcroft has left!
stagsfan6493
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: The Flitcroft doubters

Postby Dan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:01 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Dan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
yorkstag wrote:No bigger risk than re cycling failure

It’s a good appointment in my view.
Depends what your definition of failure is?

Finishing fourth ( the highest finish for years ), isn't my definition of failure.

Where do you expect us to finish next season ?


Andy Andy Andy. It's not the fact that we finished 4th. It's the fact that we were flying up until January when things started to go wrong, team & tactics changed, results started suffering yet we still had destiny in our own hands right up to the final day, despite being 8 points clear of MK Dons with only a few weeks left of the season & we still messed that up. All of that is down to the manager. Some of us knew we would bottle it because that's what the manager is good at. So all this 'highest finish for years' is completely hollow. It's like saying 'Keith Curle got us to the play off final' which of course he did, but the team he had should've got automatic promotion.

Basically I & many other Stags fans felt like we had lost £1,000 and found £10 after that Newport game & Flitcroft deserved exactly what he got for grabbing failure from the jaws of victory.

Dan you and others put the blame squarely on DF.

I'm not so sure, I think some of the players bottled it.

As the squad will be very similar, next season will go a long way to determine where the fault lay.


I give up. Who was to blame when Evans left & DF bottled it then by going from 4th to 8th then!? :roll:
Dan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6798
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: The Flitcroft doubters

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:30 pm

Dan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Dan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
yorkstag wrote:No bigger risk than re cycling failure

It’s a good appointment in my view.
Depends what your definition of failure is?

Finishing fourth ( the highest finish for years ), isn't my definition of failure.

Where do you expect us to finish next season ?


Andy Andy Andy. It's not the fact that we finished 4th. It's the fact that we were flying up until January when things started to go wrong, team & tactics changed, results started suffering yet we still had destiny in our own hands right up to the final day, despite being 8 points clear of MK Dons with only a few weeks left of the season & we still messed that up. All of that is down to the manager. Some of us knew we would bottle it because that's what the manager is good at. So all this 'highest finish for years' is completely hollow. It's like saying 'Keith Curle got us to the play off final' which of course he did, but the team he had should've got automatic promotion.

Basically I & many other Stags fans felt like we had lost £1,000 and found £10 after that Newport game & Flitcroft deserved exactly what he got for grabbing failure from the jaws of victory.

Dan you and others put the blame squarely on DF.

I'm not so sure, I think some of the players bottled it.

As the squad will be very similar, next season will go a long way to determine where the fault lay.


I give up. Who was to blame when Evans left & DF bottled it then by going from 4th to 8th then!? :roll:



Sorry Dan, but the table at the end of season doesn't lie. Evans 16/17 season: 12th. 17/18 season: DNF (with 3 transfer windows in total). DF 17/18 season: 8th. 18/19 season: 4th (with 2 transfer windows in total).

DF and Evans' approach are nigh on complete opposites. Evans signed loads of players. I believe we had 3 or 4 right wingers in 17/18. As a result DF inherited 2 crock CB and a RW on a huge amount who didn't want to play or move on at a paycut.

So I guess based on that you are suggesting JR and CR are to blame? Who sanctioned 3 or 4 right wingers? Who agreed to such a contract for a right winger whose legs had gone? It's a strong case.

For me there are way too many fingers in the pie to say 1 person is 100% to blame. It's a culmination of different factors.

The players didn't bottle it, for me our injuries to key players that we couldn't replace hurt us the most.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
User avatar
gazza1988
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5112
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Beeston, Nottingham

Re: The Flitcroft doubters

Postby Dan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:41 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Sorry Dan, but the table at the end of season doesn't lie. Evans 16/17 season: 12th. 17/18 season: DNF (with 3 transfer windows in total). DF 17/18 season: 8th. 18/19 season: 4th (with 2 transfer windows in total).

DF and Evans' approach are nigh on complete opposites. Evans signed loads of players. I believe we had 3 or 4 right wingers in 17/18. As a result DF inherited 2 crock CB and a RW on a huge amount who didn't want to play or move on at a paycut.

So I guess based on that you are suggesting JR and CR are to blame? Who sanctioned 3 or 4 right wingers? Who agreed to such a contract for a right winger whose legs had gone? It's a strong case.

For me there are way too many fingers in the pie to say 1 person is 100% to blame. It's a culmination of different factors.

The players didn't bottle it, for me our injuries to key players that we couldn't replace hurt us the most.


None of that has got anything to do with my original point. DF came in when we were 4th & managed to bottle it & grab 8th which at the time he came in seemed nigh on impossible. Irrelevant of the players at his disposal as they were the same ones who took us to 4th.

DF had 12 games when he came in. He won two of them. One against relegation fodder at the Prozac & the other against the mighty Yeovil. He couldn’t even beat the likes of Crewe, Port Vale & Crawley at home fgs.
Dan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6798
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: The Flitcroft doubters

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:23 am

Dan wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Sorry Dan, but the table at the end of season doesn't lie. Evans 16/17 season: 12th. 17/18 season: DNF (with 3 transfer windows in total). DF 17/18 season: 8th. 18/19 season: 4th (with 2 transfer windows in total).

DF and Evans' approach are nigh on complete opposites. Evans signed loads of players. I believe we had 3 or 4 right wingers in 17/18. As a result DF inherited 2 crock CB and a RW on a huge amount who didn't want to play or move on at a paycut.

So I guess based on that you are suggesting JR and CR are to blame? Who sanctioned 3 or 4 right wingers? Who agreed to such a contract for a right winger whose legs had gone? It's a strong case.

For me there are way too many fingers in the pie to say 1 person is 100% to blame. It's a culmination of different factors.

The players didn't bottle it, for me our injuries to key players that we couldn't replace hurt us the most.


None of that has got anything to do with my original point. DF came in when we were 4th & managed to bottle it & grab 8th which at the time he came in seemed nigh on impossible. Irrelevant of the players at his disposal as they were the same ones who took us to 4th.

DF had 12 games when he came in. He won two of them. One against relegation fodder at the Prozac & the other against the mighty Yeovil. He couldn’t even beat the likes of Crewe, Port Vale & Crawley at home fgs.


Completely irrelevant. For starters we were 5th when DF took over. It's where you finish in a season after playing each team in the league twice that counts. His fixtures were Lincoln (and later play off finalists), we lost to Luton and Accrington (both promoted). yes there where more than a couple of disappointing results from Flitcroft in those 12 games, there were many more from Evans. Accrington, Cheltenham, Colchester, Swindon and Crawley spring to mind.

Let's not forget that in Evan's last game we couldn't even beat, at the time of the game, a mid-table side who spent 75+ minutes down to 10 men. We can sit here all night pointing out where we played bad, or the opponent was just better but at the end of the day DF did fail to get us automatics and Evans failed so much worse at it. At the time DF took over only 2 of the 4 play off places were occupied by teams that would participate in the play offs at the end of the season. The 2 teams who were present that didn't make it? Stags and Swindon.

I think you are one of those people who were duped into thinking Evans was some kind of footballing god, the football was, let's be honest here, "Paul Cox"-esque but with a bit more style. it always baffled me when the song was and the "got us playing the way we should" part was sung, I didn't think we were that good. Also, many people have questioned Danny Rose's ability to score. He was Evans' focus for our attacks (and clearances) under Evans. Stop making out the entire squad that DF inherited was some kind of League 2 smashing team. It was slightly above average as a unit. 0 (zero) team of the year mentions anywhere. Under DF we had 4 players in the team of the year. The side this year was a big improvement on last season's side in both results and entertainment. I would have expected great things this season what with the "deadwood" finally able to be cut from last season. But the ball is with JD now, lets's see what he can do.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
User avatar
gazza1988
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5112
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Beeston, Nottingham

Re: The Flitcroft doubters

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:05 am

gazza1988 wrote:
Dan wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Sorry Dan, but the table at the end of season doesn't lie. Evans 16/17 season: 12th. 17/18 season: DNF (with 3 transfer windows in total). DF 17/18 season: 8th. 18/19 season: 4th (with 2 transfer windows in total).

DF and Evans' approach are nigh on complete opposites. Evans signed loads of players. I believe we had 3 or 4 right wingers in 17/18. As a result DF inherited 2 crock CB and a RW on a huge amount who didn't want to play or move on at a paycut.

So I guess based on that you are suggesting JR and CR are to blame? Who sanctioned 3 or 4 right wingers? Who agreed to such a contract for a right winger whose legs had gone? It's a strong case.

For me there are way too many fingers in the pie to say 1 person is 100% to blame. It's a culmination of different factors.

The players didn't bottle it, for me our injuries to key players that we couldn't replace hurt us the most.


None of that has got anything to do with my original point. DF came in when we were 4th & managed to bottle it & grab 8th which at the time he came in seemed nigh on impossible. Irrelevant of the players at his disposal as they were the same ones who took us to 4th.

DF had 12 games when he came in. He won two of them. One against relegation fodder at the Prozac & the other against the mighty Yeovil. He couldn’t even beat the likes of Crewe, Port Vale & Crawley at home fgs.


Completely irrelevant. For starters we were 5th when DF took over. It's where you finish in a season after playing each team in the league twice that counts. His fixtures were Lincoln (and later play off finalists), we lost to Luton and Accrington (both promoted). yes there where more than a couple of disappointing results from Flitcroft in those 12 games, there were many more from Evans. Accrington, Cheltenham, Colchester, Swindon and Crawley spring to mind.

Let's not forget that in Evan's last game we couldn't even beat, at the time of the game, a mid-table side who spent 75+ minutes down to 10 men. We can sit here all night pointing out where we played bad, or the opponent was just better but at the end of the day DF did fail to get us automatics and Evans failed so much worse at it. At the time DF took over only 2 of the 4 play off places were occupied by teams that would participate in the play offs at the end of the season. The 2 teams who were present that didn't make it? Stags and Swindon.

I think you are one of those people who were duped into thinking Evans was some kind of footballing god, the football was, let's be honest here, "Paul Cox"-esque but with a bit more style. it always baffled me when the song was and the "got us playing the way we should" part was sung, I didn't think we were that good. Also, many people have questioned Danny Rose's ability to score. He was Evans' focus for our attacks (and clearances) under Evans. Stop making out the entire squad that DF inherited was some kind of League 2 smashing team. It was slightly above average as a unit. 0 (zero) team of the year mentions anywhere. Under DF we had 4 players in the team of the year. The side this year was a big improvement on last season's side in both results and entertainment. I would have expected great things this season what with the "deadwood" finally able to be cut from last season. But the ball is with JD now, lets's see what he can do.
I too think we would have made further progress under DF. Let us see what happens now under the new manager. He has almost the same squad to work with. If the reason for last season's "failure" was due to poor tatics by DF and playing players out of position, rather than the players bottling it in the last few games, then we should be pushing for promotion, shouldn't we ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5387
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 am

Re: The Flitcroft doubters

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:39 am

Fair points Gazza but I would add the following:

gazza1988 wrote:yes there where more than a couple of disappointing results from Flitcroft in those 12 games, there were many more from Evans. Accrington, Cheltenham, Colchester, Swindon and Crawley spring to mind.

These were Steve Evans' only defeats last season. We deserved a draw at Accrington and I still argue that our performance at Colchester was not as bad as some fans made out. We again deserved a point and the guy from Talk Sport agreed.


Let's not forget that in Evan's last game we couldn't even beat, at the time of the game, a mid-table side who spent 75+ minutes down to 10 men.

You mean we could not beat Coventry City who ended up winning the play offs.


the football was, let's be honest here, "Paul Cox"-esque but with a bit more style.

I can see where you are coming from here Gazza. Steve Evans just likes to get the ball quickly and then press from the front. I generally enjoyed watching Steve Evans' side as I did DF's side before our end of season slump. Nicky Adams recently said on a podcast that Steve Evans did not have a scooby doo as a coach.


Also, many people have questioned Danny Rose's ability to score. He was Evans' focus for our attacks (and clearances) under Evans.

Football is a confidence game and DF clearly did not rate Danny Rose as highly as Steve Evans did. JR said at the start of he season that the relationship between DF and Danny Rose just did not seem to work for one reason or another. The breakdown of Danny's transfer to Peterborough and being relegated to No 3 in the pecking order clearly affected Danny's confidence. He went from being the focal point of our attack to being a 2nd half sub. It will be interesting to see if JD can get a tune out of Danny next season.

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5435
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Sneag, sw19stag and 23 guests