{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Question?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Question?

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:21 am

jpstags wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:
jpstags wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:
jpstags wrote:No ! He's been backed to the hilt. They're even being funded to train at Loughborough now and that's definately not cheap. He blew it last year if the same happens next week it will be a case of Flop and flop again instead of Flip flop.

Finishing 4th isn’t ‘blowing it like last year’

Not getting promotion is total failure with the funds Flopflop has had at his disposal.

No it’s not, getting relegated with a massive budget is total failure.

Not getting promotion is a disappointing season.

Tell that to JR.

JR and CR are not stupid people, they will have set expectations. We will find out what they are if we do not go up. It’s not a total failure though.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:23 am

Go. His negative tactics and continued use of the long ball to out great target men Tyler and CJ prove him devoid of ideas. All the long ball does is give away possession and invite the other team to counter attack. Time to go, even if we scape promotion.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:25 am

Kernow wrote:Go. His negative tactics and continued use of the long ball to out great target men Tyler and CJ prove him devoid of ideas. All the long ball does is give away possession and invite the other team to counter attack. Time to go, even if we scape promotion.

Is that a mixture of scrape and escape promotion :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby jpstags » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:27 am

Kernow wrote:Go. His negative tactics and continued use of the long ball to out great target men Tyler and CJ prove him devoid of ideas. All the long ball does is give away possession and invite the other team to counter attack. Time to go, even if we scape promotion.

My sentiments exactly, yes when the sun was out before Xmas and the opposition allowed us to, we played some decent stuff, however now it is just insipid and no plan b.
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkstag » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:36 am

He should definitely stay.

He appears to be a thoroughly decent committed individual. If he goes it all starts again which helps no one.

I think it’s up to JR at then end of the day and I’m sure as for all Managers at some stage time will run out if success doesn’t come

I hope he stays and we go up this year - if we don’t we go again next year

We are in a better position than we’ve been for some time and DF is part of that

Posts like this really irritate me - the total focus at the moment should be on MK Dons not building the gallows

COYS
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:54 am

Although we are all desperate for promotion, and many think we should be promoted simply because we have a top 3 budget, we do not have a God-given right to promotion.

It took Ian Greaves 3 seasons to get us promoted from this league.
This season, our budget was similar to Notts County - and look where they are (probably not helped by changing their manager too often).
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby 1966Stag » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:07 am

I am in the "irritated by such ridiculous posts" camp.

If we don't go up then this will still be our best league position for over 15 years and before Christmas some of the best football I have seen at Mansfield in over 40 years and that is in Flitcroft's first full year as manager trying to build a team from someone else's players and a group of loans.

He has took Mansfield to within 1 game of promotion in 1 year, he has delivered the best defence in the football league, he has turned CJ into a player attracting £1m bids, he signed Preston and Bishop 2 of our best players, he has relationships with other managers that mean that they let their young prospects come and play for us - I am more worried that others will come and try and take him away.

Anyone thinking he should be replaced should spend a couple of hours checking the history of MTFC, spoiler alert, there are not too many promotions in there.
1966Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby julianshatnasty » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:28 am

1966Stag wrote:I am in the "irritated by such ridiculous posts" camp.

If we don't go up then this will still be our best league position for over 15 years and before Christmas some of the best football I have seen at Mansfield in over 40 years and that is in Flitcroft's first full year as manager trying to build a team from someone else's players and a group of loans.

He has took Mansfield to within 1 game of promotion in 1 year, he has delivered the best defence in the football league, he has turned CJ into a player attracting £1m bids, he signed Preston and Bishop 2 of our best players, he has relationships with other managers that mean that they let their young prospects come and play for us - I am more worried that others will come and try and take him away.

Anyone thinking he should be replaced should spend a couple of hours checking the history of MTFC, spoiler alert, there are not too many promotions in there.

This precisely.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:01 pm

jpstags wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:
jpstags wrote:No ! He's been backed to the hilt. They're even being funded to train at Loughborough now and that's definately not cheap. He blew it last year if the same happens next week it will be a case of Flop and flop again instead of Flip flop.

Not getting promotion is total failure with the funds Flopflop has had at his disposal.

Do you actually know details of the funds he's had ? Or are you simply repeating an urban myth?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby jpstags » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:36 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
jpstags wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:

Do you actually know details of the funds he's had ? Or are you simply repeating an urban myth?

Yes and no.
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:53 pm

jpstags wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
jpstags wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:

Yes and no.

It’s just your assertion based on someone’s guesswork. And do you HAVE to call the manager childish names?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:54 pm

Imagine if we weren't lumbered with the useless Diamond, Anderson, Butcher and injured Mirfin. We would've been able to replace those with players who fit into DF's system. The injuries haven't helped us either.

Even if we don't go up this season, I would still keep Flitcroft. I don't think we can afford another rebuild job and a manager who wants a whole new squad of players. It'll be like groundhog Day every season if we just keep giving a manager 1 full season to get promoted. I know he had last season and that didn't go well, but if you were told we'd be 1 win away from league one after 45 games I'm pretty sure most stags fans would've snatched your hand off.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:33 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Imagine if we weren't lumbered with the useless Diamond, Anderson, Butcher and injured Mirfin. We would've been able to replace those with players who fit into DF's system. The injuries haven't helped us either.

Even if we don't go up this season, I would still keep Flitcroft. I don't think we can afford another rebuild job and a manager who wants a whole new squad of players. It'll be like groundhog Day every season if we just keep giving a manager 1 full season to get promoted. I know he had last season and that didn't go well, but if you were told we'd be 1 win away from league one after 45 games I'm pretty sure most stags fans would've snatched your hand off.

He had funds available to get players who fit into his system in January. He signed Ajose.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby tiptop » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:39 pm

Keep flitcroft for me, this is our highest position for many years....
Nobody knows what our budget is this year, it's all what Jr says???

Why keep changing, look at Notts County Kevin Nolan, Harry kewel and Neil ardly and look at there budget?? Doesn't always work out does it ??
mtfc employed any of them 3 we would expect promotion, end of the day the player's have bottled it for me...
Yesterday proved that, bishop, cj, Mellis all missing,moan I will have with flitcroft was tacking mini bish off...

Anyone notice yesterday, no one passes too Danny Rose????
tiptop
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby tiptop » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:42 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:Imagine if we weren't lumbered with the useless Diamond, Anderson, Butcher and injured Mirfin. We would've been able to replace those with players who fit into DF's system. The injuries haven't helped us either.

He had funds available to get players who fit into his system in January. He signed Ajose.

Most was excited we signed grant, Smith, ajose, spouting we will pee promotion...
All 3 raspberry to be honest and seem to have upset the apple cart....
tiptop
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:52 pm

On paper yes we were all excited about January signings, they just didn't have as much impact as we'd have liked although Ajose has like 5 assists and was pivotal in that colchester comeback and some folk were comparing grant to Lawrence and Muzza after a couple of games :lol:

one game to go anyway, it's in our hands and we can still do it
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby jpstags » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:01 pm

Edwinstowe stag was it not you that predicted we would win all four of our last games ?
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby CassellsCap » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:25 pm

A good manager , a decent human being too. Our football club is in a much better place than it has been for yrs. promotion is hard to achieve and every team wants it so let’s be grateful of where we are and keep building with young players coming through and young fans coming to games ...sacking managers doesn’t build stability.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:35 pm

jpstags wrote:Edwinstowe stag was it not you that predicted we would win all four of our last games ?

Guilty as charged.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:36 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:On paper yes we were all excited about January signings, they just didn't have as much impact as we'd have liked although Ajose has like 5 assists and was pivotal in that colchester comeback and some folk were comparing grant to Lawrence and Muzza after a couple of games :lol:

one game to go anyway, it's in our hands and we can still do it

Tbf Bobby, I likened the loan situation to Murray's first loan as a young lad, when grant looked like he might drag us over the line. There were similarities at the time. It seems very premature now though.

As for Flitcroft, he has done well overall. He needs 4 transfer windows. Let's see where we are this time next year before we judge him as a failure.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:36 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
jpstags wrote:Edwinstowe stag was it not you that predicted we would win all four of our last games ?

Guilty as charged.

at least you were trying to be positive
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:03 pm

There is no doubt the objective he has been set is promotion. The owners post about it on social media enough, Flitcroft even half-joked about it in the 'Jerry' video.

Those in the know seem to suggest he has a top three budget, so if he doesn't achieve top 3 he has to be questioned IMO.

As I said on another thread, a great manager outperforms their budget, a good manager meets expectations, an average manager falls slightly below, a poor manager fall massively below.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:14 pm

For me it's not about if we win our next and possibly play off games but more how we go about them.

Before January we were playing our best football for years and the club seemed United. Since then something has gone sorely wrong, we got rid of Evans deadwood (who were here during our salad day period) and brought three seemingly good loan players to the club. We added Jones and Tomlinson and should have pushed on to be serious title contenders but it just hasn't happened.

It makes no difference if we go up or not in my opinion in relation to the managers future. We should be looking at next year and asking if he s still the right man. If we have confidence, he stays, if not he goes. Next week will give us the answer.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:58 pm

jpstags wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
jpstags wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:

Yes and no.

Have you answered the questions in the right order? :)
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby julianshatnasty » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:27 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:There is no doubt the objective he has been set is promotion. The owners post about it on social media enough, Flitcroft even half-joked about it in the 'Jerry' video.

Those in the know seem to suggest he has a top three budget, so if he doesn't achieve top 3 he has to be questioned IMO.

As I said on another thread, a great manager outperforms their budget, a good manager meets expectations, an average manager falls slightly below, a poor manager fall massively below.

Yes but is the top three budget including the four or five or six Evans wasters or excluding? It keeps being mentioned but if you replace those with four or five or six that he DOES want then it's purely his squad. It's no good having a top three budget if 33% of it has been spent on players you don't want and can't offload.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum