{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Cup Final

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Cup Final

Postby Teapot » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:17 pm

Next weeks game is now a cup final. At the start of the season I am sure we all would have been happy to know that victory in our final game of the season would see us promoted. Like everyone else I feel absolutely gutted after losing the last two games and also failing to perform in many games since the turn of the year, but we must try and stay positive next week.

This is the first time since the 2004 play off final that we are in a position to move up to the third tier of English football.

Reading social media tonight shows the regular squealers already throwing in the towel and arguing amongst themselves, in one case threatening to assault supporters who do not share their opinion of the situation.

May I appeal that we stand strong together to see our dreams come true.
Teapot
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Cup Final

Postby WeDeserveMore » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:21 pm

Unfortunately - we have been awful post Christmas. I'm not quite sure how we are still 3rd tbh.
Champions!!!!!!!
WeDeserveMore
First Team
First Team

Postby Waggy » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:28 pm

Great - good job these over paid bottling show ponies have turned up to big matches all season!
And I don't feel any sorrow
Towards the kings and queens of the butterfly collectors
Waggy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:32 pm

It is a cup final/playoff final.

I'll be there. But I won't expect anything from it other than disappointment.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:34 pm

I'll be travelling in hope not expectation.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:43 pm

MK’s current form is about as good/bad as ours

Owt cud appen

:coys:
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby jeevesthestag » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:46 pm

We haven't been awful post Christmas. We have been less good than the first half of the season. Before Christmas we were playing the best football I've seen in my 34 years supporting the Stags. I know how disappointing it is to be so close and play poorly today but you all need to give your heads a shake. The moaning on here tonight is pathetic. Think where we have come from. Think about losing 4-0 to Hayes and Yeading. We are in a position we haven't been in for a generation. We're going into the last game of the season with a massive game to look forward to. What do we watch football for? Surely it's the excitement of a big game. Win or lose next week we've had lots of highly anticipated this season. Games we have thought about all week and struggled to sleep the night before with excitement. Just like we've got next weekend. If we don't go up we'll have lots more next season too because we'll still be a top league 2 team and we'll be right up there again. Just be thankful that win, lose or draw its exciting being a stags fan because after years of midtable boredom, followed by depressing conference football, I will never resort to slagging this group of league 2 players off for not being perfect every week.
jeevesthestag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Stags 2002 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:13 pm

jeevesthestag wrote:We haven't been awful post Christmas. We have been less good than the first half of the season. Before Christmas we were playing the best football I've seen in my 34 years supporting the Stags. I know how disappointing it is to be so close and play poorly today but you all need to give your heads a shake. The moaning on here tonight is pathetic. Think where we have come from. Think about losing 4-0 to Hayes and Yeading. We are in a position we haven't been in for a generation. We're going into the last game of the season with a massive game to look forward to. What do we watch football for? Surely it's the excitement of a big game. Win or lose next week we've had lots of highly anticipated this season. Games we have thought about all week and struggled to sleep the night before with excitement. Just like we've got next weekend. If we don't go up we'll have lots more next season too because we'll still be a top league 2 team and we'll be right up there again. Just be thankful that win, lose or draw its exciting being a stags fan because after years of midtable boredom, followed by depressing conference football, I will never resort to slagging this group of league 2 players off for not being perfect every week.

Jeeves there have been plenty of games post Christmas where we haven't been awful - it's been dreadful infact more criminally against teams in the relegation fight.

Before Christmas it felt like we'd turn up and either Win or Draw we played with confidence and as you say some of the best football in years but since Christmas something changed. Sussed out and no plan B perhaps? Losing White at Colchester hasn't helped as the regular cross field Hollywood ball he plays to CJ has been lost - it simply opens up the opposition.

Performances that I've witnessed and can say we where dreadful are as follows:

Yeovil at Home. Team that has just been relegated.
Newport away. 1 shot on target?
Notts County away. No shots on target?
Port Vale away.
Crawley away (via ifollow)
Crewe home.
Northampton away. Limited shots on target.
Oldham away in patches.
Stevenage home.

Thats almost half the of the games post Christmas where the players didn't bother to turn up and there have been others - Carlise away?. It's the lack of attacking threat in so many of these games thats the huge concern.

Contrast that with the performances 2nd half at Colchester, Exeter away, first half forest green away again, Morecambe at home some fantastic football so its within them but far too infrequent when it was almost a weekly occurrence before the new year.

I'll still be there next week though in the hope that the players take advantage of the opportunity and do us proud.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Hitchcocks size 10s » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:43 am

If we loose next week at MK it is going to be heartbreaking watching there players and fans celebrating promotion, knowing dam well that it could of been us. I’m not overly confident of even getting a draw. Large away following only means one outcome doesn’t it, but here’s hoping we can produce one final decent performance and get us over that line, because if it does end up us in the play offs , we will be going into it on the back of 3 successive defeats and confidence at rock bottom and I don’t think DF will be able to lift them or motivate them for a play off challenge and it will be on a par with last seasons capitulation. Come on boys, one final effort please, that’s all we ask for.
Hitchcocks size 10s
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:21 am

need some time to recover from watching that rubbish yesterday first, so bloody close & yet so far !!!!!!!!

“Do they actually want it”, one guy said yesterday afternoon, thought about it all night my conclusion is, i really can’t see how they do, i’m so miffed still.
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Waggy » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:39 am

why are people prepared to tolerate players taking huge money from the club and not performing? The Radfords are not going to continually pump finance into the club for no reward. It's right that fans are angry at players that don't turn up - they are damaging the club
And I don't feel any sorrow
Towards the kings and queens of the butterfly collectors
Waggy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:58 am

Woke up today with the same sinking feeling I had after the match yesterday. I think we've lost our chance now.

The cup final we've got we'll lose if the last 2 games are anything to go by.

I fully expect the worst to happen now; lose at MK, lose in the playoffs.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:05 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:Woke up today with the same sinking feeling I had after the match yesterday. I think we've lost our chance now.

The cup final we've got we'll lose if the last 2 games are anything to go by.

I fully expect the worst to happen now; lose at MK, lose in the playoffs.

That’s the spirit! Come on this is football, it’s not over until next Saturday!
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MansfieldMick » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:12 am

Bet you're all going though, I am. Can't wait. We're that inconsistent anything can happen, and MK are just as inconsistent. We're that inconsistent that we might just do it. Going to be a great day, let's just get on with it and....... You just never know.

MansfieldMick
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:14 am

MansfieldMick wrote:Bet you're all going though, I am. Can't wait. We're that inconsistent anything can happen, and MK are just as inconsistent. We're that inconsistent that we might just do it. Going to be a great day, let's just get on with it and....... You just never know.

Course I'm going. But by expecting the worst you avoid the heartache.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:20 am

Hope for the best expect the worst. It's the Bristh way.

If we fall at the final hurdle next week I hope our meathead element don't bring the club in disrepute.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:40 am

Sneag wrote:Hope for the best expect the worst. It's the Bristh way.

If we fall at the final hurdle next week I hope our meathead element don't bring the club in disrepute.
We now have a winner takes all game to decide promotion. Draw might not be enough. Wouldn't it be better all round if this was game 49 at Wembley. We would take around 10k to Wembley.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:22 am

ST4GS wrote:
Sneag wrote:Hope for the best expect the worst. It's the Bristh way.

We now have a winner takes all game to decide promotion. Draw might not be enough. Wouldn't it be better all round if this was game 49 at Wembley. We would take around 10k to Wembley.

No, let's get it done Saturday & enjoy watching Newport follow us to promotion again.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:26 am

Stop all yer hand-wringing! We will win at MK. Can’t wait.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:31 am

Well said edders ,i think we will get automatic promotion as well ,though we might only need a draw to get it
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Staggyfox » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:55 am

We’re good at draws
Staggyfox
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum