{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

For the Love of God

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: For the Love of God

Postby Vice President » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:56 pm

I don't think it is fair making CJ the scape goat. He has been one of our best players this season. He is our 2nd top scorer, has been forced to play in various positions, and he is in the league 2 team of the year. We will miss him if/when he moves on in the summer.

The whole team has bottled it over the last few games and they all take collective responsibility.

However ...... They still have a wonderful opportunity (next week, and if necessary in the play-offs) to put it right and prove that they are actually good enough. Fingers crossed that they do just that. Come on lads!
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:03 pm

spanishstag wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:I despair at some of these comments. Embarrassing.

I despair at our performance today ,embarrassing

That’s sport mate. It was never going to be easy. It wasn’t embarrassing, but I admit it wasn’t great. To continually get on a young players back leaves a sour taste. Maybe support the kid. Then again you never will.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:06 pm

scotsstag wrote:The only match stat that matters today is 1-2.

And we're 3rd, that also matters.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:10 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
spanishstag wrote:

That’s sport mate. It was never going to be easy. It wasn’t embarrassing, but I admit it wasn’t great. To continually get on a young players back leaves a sour taste. Maybe support the kid. Then again you never will.

No i never get on anybodys back ,i support them from spain ,but my god that was poor today ,if you think that was good today fair enough ,i dont ,we were terrible let a mid table team outplay us ,never really threatened them everybody from the top down needs a kick up the arse
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:11 pm

Quite right Rob, it most certainly does.
In fact, the most important of the lot. :mtfc:
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:19 pm

Guys ...... we are all disappointed, frustrated, and angry. Promotion was in our grasp and we blew it today. But the season is far from over. Put in a good performance next week (i.e. keep a clean sheet) and we will be promoted! And even if that fails, we have another chance via the play-offs.

Now is not the time for anyone in this club to give up. Believe. We go again.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:32 pm

Vice President wrote:Guys ...... we are all disappointed, frustrated, and angry. Promotion was in our grasp and we blew it today. But the season is far from over. Put in a good performance next week (i.e. keep a clean sheet) and we will be promoted! And even if that fails, we have another chance via the play-offs.

Even if it comes to the play offs... we will fill the away end and the home game. We will carry on until the end.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:27 pm

We will get three points next Saturday and all this heartache will be forgotten.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:31 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:We will get three points next Saturday and all this heartache will be forgotten.

Not playing like today we won’t
something has to change
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:50 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:We will get three points next Saturday and all this heartache will be forgotten.

something has to change

The question is what can be done though? In some ways it feels like the players don't want to go up their playing with that much fear.

CJ was his old bambi on ice / rabbit in headlights today. I would drop him IF we had an alternative but we don't. Both Rose and Grant despite coming on were complete waste of a sub.

Danny's heading was shocking and what was he doing back heeling it in the 6 yrd box just for it to be cleared. He's a professional striker and should be able to shoot.

Despite the defeat at Oldham i felt confident we could do it because the fight was there albeit after we conceded. But today we've fallen back into our poor ways similar to those dreadful performances we've seen away from home.

Either way we move onto MK and go again.

Play-offs begin now. Win next week we go up.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby jpstags » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:53 pm

Rob wrote:
spanishstag wrote:

Don't talk rubbish, it wasn't great in very blustery conditions, but it wasn't embarrassing. Check out the match stats.

You're like an embarrassing cheerleader .
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:57 pm

jpstags wrote:
Rob wrote:
spanishstag wrote:

Don't talk rubbish, it wasn't great in very blustery conditions, but it wasn't embarrassing. Check out the match stats.

I support my club, try it.
Last edited by Rob on Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:08 pm

It would be absolute madness to drop our second top scorer for a game we have to win. DF should tell CJ now that he is playing next Saturday. One burst of pace or run could result in him setting up or scoring the winning goal.

We fight on.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:18 pm

Please God, Amen.
:mtfc:
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:21 am

yorkshire stag wrote:

something has to change

I assumed you would pop up.

You must be delighted with todays result as it gives you the opportunity to whine.

We need to back the boys next week in what is effectively a cup final. If it doesnt work we go in the play offs.

If that doesn’t work we go next year

Coys
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby julianshatnasty » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:42 am

The great news about us bottling it is that it's happening to Bury and MK Dons too. Just a couple of wins for any of the three of us instead of our poor runs would have us up now.

Still maintain to be third and with it in our own hands with a game left is an incredible achievement with one of the most creativity lacking and inept attacking sides I've ever known us have.

Just one win, that's all it takes now.

Not making CJ the scapegoat, maybe he could come on from the bench next week, we need to try something new. The obsession with the panicking high ball benefits Rose more than CJ so let's have a change, he can always come on with half hour left and run at them, should scare them to death. I'm not advocating going long ball but we've been increasingly doing it anyway over the last couple of months as panic has set in, it's become more and more our style of play.

The other possibility is Mellis and Bishop in the middle, CJ in the Grant role just behind Rose and Walker with the brief to just run at them. We need to win.

The problem is the muddled thinking, my muddled post proves this. Too many options but none that are convincing. Rose can't buy a goal, CJ has a good game in 5, Grant a luxury, Mellis a good game in 3, Jones solid but no threat, Bishop and Tomlinson both holding players, Macca runs a lot but no result, Atkinson doesn't have a position and the rest up front are just kids. Aside from just doing the same again next week and hoping it comes off I can't see the style or personnel changing as there are no real options to improve it.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Spiritater » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:43 am

Sedgwick wrote:
Vice President wrote:Guys ...... we are all disappointed, frustrated, and angry. Promotion was in our grasp and we blew it today. But the season is far from over. Put in a good performance next week (i.e. keep a clean sheet) and we will be promoted! And even if that fails, we have another chance via the play-offs.

Even if it comes to the play offs... we will fill the away end and the home game. We will carry on until the end.

And the team will put in a poor performance. It's been thus all season, they can't handle the pressure and expectation unfortunately.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:33 am

julianshatnasty wrote:The great news about us bottling it is that it's happening to Bury and MK Dons too. Just a couple of wins for any of the three of us instead of our poor runs would have us up now.

Still maintain to be third and with it in our own hands with a game left is an incredible achievement with one of the most creativity lacking and inept attacking sides I've ever known us have.

Not making CJ the scapegoat, maybe he could come on from the bench next week, we need to try something new. The obsession with the panicking high ball benefits Rose more than CJ so let's have a change, he can always come on with half hour left and run at them, should scare them to death. I'm not advocating going long ball but we've been increasingly doing it anyway over the last couple of months as panic has set in, it's become more and more our style of play.

The other possibility is Mellis and Bishop in the middle, CJ in the Grant role just behind Rose and Walker with the brief to just run at them. We need to win.

The problem is the muddled thinking, my muddled post proves this. Too many options but none that are convincing. Rose can't buy a goal, CJ has a good game in 5, Grant a luxury, Mellis a good game in 3, Jones solid but no threat, Bishop and Tomlinson both holding players, Macca runs a lot but no result, Atkinson doesn't have a position and the rest up front are just kids. Aside from just doing the same again next week and hoping it comes off I can't see the style or personnel changing as there are no real options to improve it.

Spot on
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:37 am

julianshatnasty wrote:The great news about us bottling it is that it's happening to Bury and MK Dons too. Just a couple of wins for any of the three of us instead of our poor runs would have us up now.

I actually think your right. We’re just not quite good enough. If it wasn’t for Walker having his first ever injury free season we wouldn’t even be in the top 7 imo.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Waggy » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:42 am

Rob wrote:
jpstags wrote:
Rob wrote:
spanishstag wrote:

I support my club, try it raspberry.

supporting your club by tolerating under performing show ponies, stealing a wage - raspberry
And I don't feel any sorrow
Towards the kings and queens of the butterfly collectors
Waggy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Conker » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:48 am

I hope you are right, I have this terrible feeling that even if we do manage to stumble over the line these recent performances will have put a dent in it. I’m finding it unforgivable how they have performed with so much at stake.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby tuopolfpilf » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:01 am

Rob wrote:
jpstags wrote:
Rob wrote:
spanishstag wrote:

I support my club, try it raspberry.

Rob is backward - Bor

Smear, just baking Humble Pie
tuopolfpilf
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby oldweststander » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:18 am

I have to say, Hamilton did have a shocker but others were below par too.

Bshop, not his usual self, is he still carrying that inury?
Mellis, was he on the pitch.
Thomlinson, good first 30 mins then largely anonymous .

Thought the defence was mostly sound.
Wing backs did well although some of the crosses were very poor.
Logan did very well on a number of occasions, he didn't deserve to be on the losing side today.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:22 am

Logan was our best player in a must win game.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:38 am

Rob wrote:
scotsstag wrote:The only match stat that matters today is 1-2.

And we're 3rd, that also matters.

League position only matters at the end of one day of the season, it happens to be next Saturday.
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum