{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Where do we go from here?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Postby thefamilyvontrapp » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:03 pm

I’m having a bit of a wobble about the confidence I have for the Stags...
The first half of the season we were playing some brilliant football with good possession and decent build up play.... the second half of the season we’ve looked pretty poor with very little build up play... we seem to be playing very direct now and getting ourselves into a bit of a pickle!!!

We need to get into the automatic spots otherwise (I feel) we won’t get through the play offs..

If we’re in league 1 next season, where do we build in the squad?

I’m not having a go... after Grimsby away (New Years Day) I said we’d go up as champions!!
thefamilyvontrapp
First Team
First Team

Re: Where do we go from here?

Postby nobby +1 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:43 pm

buy a striiker not one in twilight years or a loan player one to keep and not replacing every year . Sorry to say a top keeper defence ok midfield just needs tweak
nobby +1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:48 pm

Two key players injured have blown it wide open for me......White & Olejnik. I think we’d already be up bar that. Pressure plays its part near the finishing line too......look at how Leeds have blown it. Sheffield United have handled it well and are one win away from the premier league!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:23 pm

Is it down to the lake I fear?
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:30 pm

Stick together, and we'll do this together. Wise words.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:37 pm

He is obviously gutted. I'm sure we will get promoted this season.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:40 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:Is it down to the lake I fear?

Love plus one :)
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:53 pm

What's done us in is having mirfin, diamond and Anderson on good wages and not kicking a ball. Meant we couldn't sign an extra defender, striker and RWB.

Not the best start to a season.

Then we lost Bobby and did ok, then we lost white and not having a adequate replacement. The best we could do is Gethin Jones (who I rate) who has only played 3 games before joining us 2 or 3 days before the window shut. Then we've had to sign players on frees after the window shut. Again they had barely played.

We did ok after this. Still fighting at the top.

When opponents start pressing our defenders they go long. We don't have the personnel to deal with this, we had Rose but then he got injured so we had no plan B anymore who could at least challenge for the long balls.

We had had other injuries. Craig Davies did ok and tried playing though a foot problem which meant he was only at 80% fit from the start of a game. Nicky Ajose, again got injured and while he wasn't a scorer he was good at bringing others into play. Jordan Graham, only a kid and got injured just before our striker crisis.

We still have a striker crisis. Hamilton has been a winger/wing-back and put up front to avoid isolating Walker. He's not done too badly but had any other strikers been fit cj probably wouldn't even be up there at all.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:02 pm

gazza1988 wrote:What's done us in is having mirfin, diamond and Anderson on good wages and not kicking a ball. Meant we couldn't sign an extra defender, striker and RWB.

Not the best start to a season.

Then we lost Bobby and did ok, then we lost white and not having a adequate replacement. The best we could do is Gethin Jones (who I rate) who has only played 3 games before joining us 2 or 3 days before the window shut. Then we've had to sign players on frees after the window shut. Again they had barely played.

We did ok after this. Still fighting at the top.

When opponents start pressing our defenders they go long. We don't have the personnel to deal with this, we had Rose but then he got injured so we had no plan B anymore who could at least challenge for the long balls.

We had had other injuries. Craig Davies did ok and tried playing though a foot problem which meant he was only at 80% fit from the start of a game. Nicky Ajose, again got injured and while he wasn't a scorer he was good at bringing others into play. Jordan Graham, only a kid and got injured just before our striker crisis.

We still have a striker crisis. Hamilton has been a winger/wing-back and put up front to avoid isolating Walker. He's not done too badly but had any other strikers been fit cj probably wouldn't even be up there at all.

You missed off further unsettling of the team by Toni going back to Derby and being replaced by Grant. Nothing against Grant but his appointment may have also been a change too far.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:09 pm

In all honesty I can see now why Grant wasn't getting a game with Looooooun. He's such a lightweight.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:36 pm

Looking back now getting Grant in and getting rid of Elsnik was the wrong decision, but it's one pretty much everyone would have made.

Been unlucky with injuries to be fair, Ojenik and White staying fit I reckon we would be a lot closer to Lincoln.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:53 pm

Conker wrote:Looking back now getting Grant in and getting rid of Elsnik was the wrong decision, but it's one pretty much everyone would have made.

Been unlucky with injuries to be fair, Ojenik and White staying fit I reckon we would be a lot closer to Lincoln.

So when we do get promoted, it will be more of an achievement.

Keep the faith we will get promoted this season.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Wil0211 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:00 pm

I think we will win on Saturday and MK Dons will lose. All will look a lot better if that happens
Wil0211
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:08 pm

Conker wrote:Looking back now getting Grant in and getting rid of Elsnik was the wrong decision, but it's one pretty much everyone would have made.

I liked Timi when he was with us. But he was far from a regular starter. And he now can't get in the Northampton starting line-up.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:22 pm

the way some go on about elsnik is mad, yeah he was alright for us but people are making out as if him being sent back has/could ruin our season. The injuries to white, olejnik, Davies, rose and being hampered by big wages (Anderson, Diamond, Butcher) has hurt us a lot more than elsnik leaving and grant coming in
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:43 pm

Derby have got a lot of youth they're trying to offload. If we go up id break the bank for Luke Thomas but not sure he fits into the offload section of u23's... Hes got a bright future, as has Max Lowe.

And for everyone acknowledging the likes of Anderson, Diamond, Mirfin, Butcher etc... To deal with those high earners and still be in the position were in, plus the injury crisis... Hats off to DF. Even if we don't go up, without that deadwood and some of the fringe players, one or two star players could see us win the league comfortably next year. League one really isn't that far away.

But anyway we need to stick together! Keep going, even if we end up in the playoffs we will not let anything stop us. Keep singing, keep encouraging the lads, Just keep going, were all behind you!
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:58 pm

To answer the thread title ........ simply: We must win on Saturday and then make sure that we hold firm against MK Dons.

We are actually still in a good position.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:27 am

Still in our own hands, if it goes pear shaped tger is,no one else to blame.

3pts Saturday and watch the others tumbke away.

COYs
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:33 am

oldweststander wrote:Still in our own hands, if it goes pear shaped tger is,no one else to blame.

3pts Saturday and watch the others tumbke away.

COYs

???
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:45 am

Vice President wrote:To answer the thread title ........ simply: We must win on Saturday and then make sure that we hold firm against MK Dons.

Agree VP. We only need 4 points to guarantee promotion providing MK don’t win by a cricket score on Saturday. I would rather win Saturday and leave MK needing to beat us on the last day than the other way around!

That said Stevenage will be a tough game as they are still in with a shout of the last play off spot and I’m sure they’d enjoy spoiling the party as much as Oldham did!
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:02 am

Time was only on the bench for the Cobblers so he's not progressed since leaving us.
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stag861 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:02 am

Timi of course.
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:04 am

Timi as an individual is being hyped up to more than he was. It was the balance that he gave to the midfield which has rarely been rediscovered since. Bish, Tommo and Mellis is the best option for the rest of the season.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:07 am

Jimstag wrote:
Vice President wrote:To answer the thread title ........ simply: We must win on Saturday and then make sure that we hold firm against MK Dons.

Agree VP. We only need 4 points to guarantee promotion providing MK don’t win by a cricket score on Saturday. I would rather win Saturday and leave MK needing to beat us on the last day than the other way around!

That said Stevenage will be a tough game as they are still in with a shout of the last play off spot and I’m sure they’d enjoy spoiling the party as much as Oldham did!

Saturdays a strange one. There’s obviously the chance we can pretty much go up if we look after ourselves and results go our way...but even if we lost and everyone else won, we still have a chance on the last day knowing that a win against MK Dons would take us up on GD barring a freak goal swing somewhere along the lines.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:31 am

Whilst the late drama left us gutted on monday, in hindsight if we had drawn and MK won, we would have actually been worse off. As it is, we can still (basically) go up saturday and regardless of the weekends results we will still have another shot at MK. Whilst recent performances have left me with little faith we will actually do it, after the Crewe game I worried about missing out on the top 7 all together so count your blessings I guess!
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum