{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Latics Scorefred sponsored by get over the line

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Latics Scorefred sponsored by get over the line

Postby Billy the fish » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:23 pm

diablo wrote:have to ask the question, why did the Manager pick Grant ahead of Macca?..

Grant is one of those players who have half bags of potential but will drift into playing non league football ..
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Steve North » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:27 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
Steve North wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:Onside or offside....we have been let down AGAIN!!

Away support was absolutely brilliant and all travelling home annoyed for the umpteenth time this season. When are we actually going to show up when we take a good away following? We genuinely would all be better off staying at home for MK.

Mate you make it sound like we have been fighting a relegation battle all season. We are still in a good position - in our hands completely. Get some perspective - Mk Dons and Bury have both got tough away games next week. We have a home game which I think we will win. If MK lose then we are pretty much there with our goal difference.

I sound like an annoyed fan that’s been to 21 out of 23 away games (no super fan comment, just annoyed) and never seen us turn up in front of a decent crowd this season other than you can argue Grimsby. County, Port Vale, Northampton, Oldham, Macclesfield we have been poor. We were pretty poor at Lincoln too and nicked a point... we’ve got MK Dons left to put it right. May sound a bit OTT considering league position, but I’m desperate to see us go up and turn up in front of a crowd!

Agree with you if MK lose we should be winning to nearly confirm it but ifs and buts at this stage.

All fair comments pal. I’m desperate to see us go up as well. We’ve turned in some good away results this season, Colchester and Exeter spring to mind, but the pressure has moved up a few notches now and games I would expect us to win easily in Oct now become trickier. But it’s the same for MK Dons and Bury as well. If we have to go to MK and win I would be very confident we could do that. Hopefully results next Sat will mean we won’t need to do that.
Steve North
First Team
First Team

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:28 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
CassellsCap wrote:If we beat Stevenage and MK lose we are up surely

And if MK Dons win next week as well....?
We’ve got to get at least a point at MK now unless they lose next Saturday and we win.

Port Vale managed a point at MK Dons today, so why can't we ?

We need to win on Saturday and then everything else will fit into place.

Keep the faith
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:29 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:
diablo wrote:have to ask the question, why did the Manager pick Grant ahead of Macca?..

Because we won 4-0 on Saturday with the same line up

Facing stronger opposition away from home. This was no place for Grant.

We were poor for most of the game, but we handed Oldham control of the midfield on a platter.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:30 pm

Grant was weak and ineffective. He was also petulant when he went off. Again

I hope we don’t go back in for him in the summer. He’s a coaster
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:31 pm

Sneag wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:

Because we won 4-0 on Saturday with the same line up

Facing stronger opposition away from home. This was no place for Grant.

We were poor for most of the game, but we handed Oldham control of the midfield on a platter.

I agree that he should have dropped grant for Tomlinson but I was providing the obvious answer to that question. I’m not DF but that’s probably why he did it
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:36 pm

To be fair Bishop was probably worse than Grant in the first half. Bishop was more himself second half. Oldham scored two very good goals one of which was unstoppable and the other a great pass from their midfielder. We battled and almost got a point at the end. We are still in an automatic promotion spot so there is all to play for. We need to get behind the team on Saturday and create an atmosphere similar to the last home game.

Keep the faith.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:36 pm

not the best day to be at work in Lincoln

thanks a lot linesman

Grant is not an away game player at this stage of the season, we can all see it why cannot the manager :banghead:
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:38 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:not the best day to be at work in Lincoln

thanks a lot linesman

Grant is not an away game player at this stage of the season, we can all see it why cannot the manager :banghead:
He did change it.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:40 pm

Grant must not start at MK

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:46 pm

I thought we were poor defensively and although Oldham took those two goals well, each time the player was in too much space with no challenge in sight.

We never looked confident on the ball and didn't appear to know what to do when we got forward, it was back to placing the ball in spaces rather than picking out players i.e. we were playing percentages not good football.

I'm still confident we can put it right next week as the other teams have let us off the hook.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:46 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:not the best day to be at work in Lincoln

thanks a lot linesman

He did change it.

to little, to late
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:47 pm

A curious performance for a team hoping to go up...

Absolute dross again, another big and expectant following, another shower of raspberries produced.

The fraud that is Jorge grant did one thing in the first half which was a dreadful challenge which he possibly could have been sent off for.

CJ and Mellis in midfield were largely anonymous and the fact that they only put the effort in when 2-0 and 3-1 wound me up even more.

Do the players and the manager want promotion or not? Didn’t seem it today?

We’ve got a good side, we can do this - but it just seems that every time we go away with a decent performance we just fold
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:52 pm

Regardless of results on Saturday we have ensured it goes down to the last game of the season.

Worst case scenario is we need to win (and FGR and Tranmere to drop points) , best case scenario is we can afford to lose, just not too heavily.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:54 pm

i’m really struggling to shake this one off atm

really feel again for the fans that traveled again
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:59 pm

We just need to keep calm, it’s still all in our hands.

A win Sat combined with a MK loss would make life much more comfortable though.

Even a loss on Sat still takes us to MK with a poo or bust game (the “Mansfield Town way”)

:coys:
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:06 pm

adamstag wrote:A curious performance for a team hoping to go up...

Absolute dross again, another big and expectant following, another shower of raspberries produced.

The fraud that is Jorge grant did one thing in the first half which was a dreadful challenge which he possibly could have been sent off for.

CJ and Mellis in midfield were largely anonymous and the fact that they only put the effort in when 2-0 and 3-1 wound me up even more.

We’ve got a good side, we can do this - but it just seems that every time we go away with a decent performance we just fold

Adam on the plus side at least it was a significantly better performance than those at Newport, Notts, Port Vale and Northampton to name a few as we created chances for us to get behind the team. The drum also helped to keep us going especially before kick-off with that fantastic atmosphere.

Not sure why Flitcroft can't see the tactics at home don't work away until we're mid way through. Grant is a passenger away from home and shouldn't start.

Credit to Logan and Jones who both kept the score down to give us the chance at the end. Personally thought Mellis had a good game but as you say don't know why we make it hard for ourselves and only start to play at 2-0, 3-1 down. Is the pressure getting to them?

Gutted for Rose at the end though.

Either way its going down to the last day.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:12 pm

That’s a very harsh critique

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:15 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:i’m really struggling to shake this one off atm

really feel again for the fans that traveled again

Me too mate. They looked like they were going for a stroll in the park first half. Oldham are average and could have had 6 or 7. Thank you Port Vale!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby nick_stags » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:18 pm

Mellis was outstanding, how you can pick him out is beyond ludicrous.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:20 pm

nick_stags wrote:

Mellis was the only good un!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:21 pm

nick_stags wrote:

Completely agree. Whilst we were nowhere near our best, Mellis seemed to be the only one willing to get on the ball at any time and get us ticking. In fact, he was the only one that didn’t panic and just smash it in to space at any given opportunity.
Last edited by BH_Stag on Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:25 pm

Mellis was great... he need to get forward more. We need Little Bish in midfield rather than grant.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:26 pm

I think some on here are getting things out of perspective. Yes we were poor first half especially the midfield. That was down to Oldham's tatics of crowding the midfield. They have a chance of the playoffs as will Stevenage next week. These teams are going to battle.We were better second half and battled hard. Benning and Jones suffered what looked like two nasty injuries (I hope they are fit for next week). So how some can say they were our for a stroll is beyond me. Oldham's third goal was unstoppable and many teams would have given up after that. We battled hard and nearly grabbed a point but for a decision given by the linesman.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:26 pm

Bad wording! Don’t type while walking :lol:

Mellis CJ and grant playing all together doesn’t work - that’s what it’s meant to say! Mellis did indeed have a fine game. CJ seemed off it by his standards

Need someone like Tomlinson or macca in. Can’t have grant starting away - he’s too much of a liability - lads who are going to take the game by the scruff of the neck
adamstag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum