{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Article about 92/93 shirt

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Article about 92/93 shirt

Postby Club25Football » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:49 am

Hi everyone! I run a wee blog about special football shirts and covered a rather old Stags top this week, from the 92/93 season spent in the old Division 2. Thought it might be interesting to the history buffs among you, so figured I'd share it;

https://club25football.wordpress.com/2019/04/15/mansfield-town-1992-1993-home-shirt/

As I am just a casual observer, I'm quite keen to hear whether I made any mistakes regarding the club while writing! I'm also very interested in hearing your thoughts about Stags kits, how the current ones are, which tops were the best and the worst, etc.

As it turns out, the pattern used by the club that year was shared by a few others including Peterborough and Woking and I wrote a small piece about that as well;

https://club25football.wordpress.com/2019/04/14/the-mystery-of-the-lozenges/

Thanks everyone, and hope to hear your thoughts :)

:coys:

Club25Football
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Article about 92/93 shirt

Postby julianshatnasty » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:32 am

That was a woeful shirt.

Wasn't GTC an abbreviation for Gunthorpe Textiles who had sponsored previously?
Last edited by julianshatnasty on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:39 am

good article.

This is my page of Stags shirts: https://www.stagsnet.net/vintage/shirts/SHIRTS.HTM

(also team photos https://stagsnet.net/vintage/teampics/teampics.html and badges https://www.stagsnet.net/vintage/MTFCBadges.htm)

When I'm home this evening, I'll check to see if I have any details on Hero.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby ST4GS » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:41 am

julianshatnasty wrote:That was a woeful shirt.

I would guess the 1991-2 and 1992-3 Gunthorpe Textiles shirts were probably one and two in our historic shirt sales table.
Replica shirts seemed to boom around this period.
I bumped into three Stags fans wearing these kits in 1992 in Orlando, they seemed to be everywhere at the time.
I still have these kits and the white away one which is up for £70 odd quid on eBay!!
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:45 pm

Got that shirt and the away one, brilliant shirts and made really well (compared to the modern day versions).
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Club25Football » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:23 pm

I'd love to know if that's true, actually! Kind of dodged what GTC exactly stood for in the article.

Martin Shaw wrote:good article.

This is my page of Stags shirts: https://www.stagsnet.net/vintage/shirts/SHIRTS.HTM

(also team photos https://stagsnet.net/vintage/teampics/teampics.html and badges https://www.stagsnet.net/vintage/MTFCBadges.htm)

When I'm home this evening, I'll check to see if I have any details on Hero.

I saw your pages earlier Martin, impressive work! It'd be fantastic if you could find something, anything on them :)

ST4GS wrote:

I would guess the 1991-2 and 1992-3 Gunthorpe Textiles shirts were probably one and two in our historic shirt sales table.
Replica shirts seemed to boom around this period.
I bumped into three Stags fans wearing these kits in 1992 in Orlando, they seemed to be everywhere at the time.
I still have these kits and the white away one which is up for £70 odd quid on eBay!!

I got this one for 20 quid plus postage, not too bad even if it is a little banged up. The Gunthorpe shirts are Ribero-made, which are always popular with shirt collectors in general so I'd expect those to go for even more online.

Foresttownstag wrote:Got that shirt and the away one, brilliant shirts and made really well (compared to the modern day versions).

I understand quite a few people here don't fancy Surridge much? Quality on their kits is usually good I've found (based on shirts they made for Bury), but maybe their standards have dropped in recent years.
Club25Football
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:53 pm

Club25Football wrote:

I'd love to know if that's true, actually! Kind of dodged what GTC exactly stood for in the article.

Yes, Gunthorpe Textile Company.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Club25Football » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:32 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
Club25Football wrote:

Article has been edited and you've been credited to reflect this - I feel rather silly for not realizing the GTC initials (partially) corresponded with Gunthorpe Textiles!

Have you been able to find out anything about Hero? On my end, it turns out this particular fabric and pattern were also used up and down Ireland, at Dundalk, Monaghan, and a fair few others. The Stags were the only team to have those diagonal stripes across the upper chest, however.
Club25Football
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:26 am

Club25Football wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Club25Football wrote:

Article has been edited and you've been credited to reflect this - I feel rather silly for not realizing the GTC initials (partially) corresponded with Gunthorpe Textiles!

Have you been able to find out anything about Hero? On my end, it turns out this particular fabric and pattern were also used up and down Ireland, at Dundalk, Monaghan, and a fair few others. The Stags were the only team to have those diagonal stripes across the upper chest, however.

I found a photo from the local paper of the owner of Gunthorpe Textiles Alan Bostock handing over a shirt to the club. The GTC range was a new range of clothing from Gunthorpe Textiles. I could not find any reference to Hero Sports.

I didn't find anything in my scrapbooks about Hero Sports.

However it came to me in a flash that I knew something about it. I remembered that a guy called Andrew Dolloway, who did various things like work for Central TV, produce and commentate on the 1987 Wembley Freight Rover Trophy video, and other bits and pieces, was the owner of Hero Sports. He later sold some retro football kits and I bought one from him.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby part time pete » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:01 am

https://www.slideshare.net/mobile/heros ... otball-kit

Hero sports used to be on Bancroft Lane in Mansfield.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Club25Football » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:29 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:I found a photo from the local paper of the owner of Gunthorpe Textiles Alan Bostock handing over a shirt to the club. The GTC range was a new range of clothing from Gunthorpe Textiles. I could not find any reference to Hero Sports.

I didn't find anything in my scrapbooks about Hero Sports.

However it came to me in a flash that I knew something about it. I remembered that a guy called Andrew Dolloway, who did various things like work for Central TV, produce and commentate on the 1987 Wembley Freight Rover Trophy video, and other bits and pieces, was the owner of Hero Sports. He later sold some retro football kits and I bought one from him.

This is the kind of historical research I can appreciate, fantastic effort Martin! That explains both the change in sponsor (from Gunthorpe proper to GTC) and a little bit about Hero Sports and how a completely unknown supplier like them landed the MTFC contract. Much, much, much appreciated!

part time pete wrote:https://www.slideshare.net/mobile/herosports/tips-to-buy-your-football-kit

Hero sports used to be on Bancroft Lane in Mansfield.

And that, then, confirms they were a local brand! Something romantic about a local firm kitting their local team, I find. I know my articles tend to drag on and on forever already, but this is worthy of adding in. Thanks Pete!
Club25Football
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby part time pete » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:38 pm

I think Andrew still lives in Mansfield and is the author of a few football books.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby julianshatnasty » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:00 pm

There's a few available on Amazon assuming there aren't two of them!
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Linby Stag » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:38 pm

Have got Chris Withes shirt from that season - what a great lad he is
Linby Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Rob » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:35 am

I have the home and away shirts from that season, the away shirt has a fault so I got it cheap :lol: I have about 30 Stags shirts in a box in the loft, I might start wearing them again if it is en vogue!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:56 am

Rob wrote:I have the home and away shirts from that season, the away shirt has a fault so I got it cheap :lol: I have about 30 Stags shirts in a box in the loft, I might start wearing them again if it is en vogue!

I only started going late 90’s so didn’t have the pleasure of seeing us in some of the 90’s kits, I’ve purchased a load of ebay though and wear them as often as I can at games!

Get wearing them Rob!
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:58 am

Talking of shirts I've am old training top I purchased it around 1994 it's got Mansfield Brewery emblem on the front mainly blue n i think it's made by Beaver the material is a thick cotton with cuffs that are elasticated.

I just love it it's been washed that many times n still looks like new.
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum