{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Bury FC Courtcase

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: 2 Weeks Is A Long Time In Football

Postby Jamie » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:31 am

It's just life you could make the rich v poor argument about almost anything...

if you run your club badly and it can't be saved then you reap what you sow. I hope Bury survive for the fans and our own selfish interests but if they've been run badly or especially if they've been run beyond there means then its cheating and has given them an unfair advantage and they should be punished.

Rules are rules and if they hadn't overspent would they be where they are in the league??

At some point (should of been years ago) and pro club in the FL needs to be made an example off. Clubs and fans need to wake up to the rules and dangers and hold owners to account.

I also think the FA could do more to protect fans and clubs. For example if a club is being run badly it should be possible for fans for force a sale or buy a controlling interest. Clubs are businesses and that kind of thing would normally be ridiculous in the business world but this is different.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:50 am

Bury court case adjourned to 15th May.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:58 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Bury court case adjourned to 15th May.

Hopefully they won't have cheated their way to promotion by then.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:59 am

Spiritater wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:
Stoney wrote:Good luck to Bury tomorrow. This sort of thing shouldn't be happening with the amount of money at the top echelons of football.

I’ve always thought this but then if the top clubs and the FA bailed teams out it would just encourage more and more teams to spend beyond their means

North Ferriby went out of business a couple of weeks ago over £7,000. If the FA had bailed them out what would the other 23 clubs in that league think? It’s a difficult line, we never want to see clubs go out of business but I’m not sure handing down money from the top of the game is the right answer.

The fact that a club in a town like North Ferriby has gone out of business for what is in effect a couple of hours work for Raheem Stirling etc is just wrong though.

And if Bill Gates gave me 100k I would be mortgage free.

This kind of rhetoric is pointless and annoying. Why should Raheem Stirling pay to keep another club afloat? He's not a charity, regardless of the amount.

We need to stop blaming rich clubs and players for the demise of a poorly ran club
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Hjeldefan » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:05 am

mousemousemouse wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:
Stoney wrote:Good luck to Bury tomorrow. This sort of thing shouldn't be happening with the amount of money at the top echelons of football.

I’ve always thought this but then if the top clubs and the FA bailed teams out it would just encourage more and more teams to spend beyond their means

North Ferriby went out of business a couple of weeks ago over £7,000. If the FA had bailed them out what would the other 23 clubs in that league think? It’s a difficult line, we never want to see clubs go out of business but I’m not sure handing down money from the top of the game is the right answer.

The fact that a club in a town like North Ferriby has gone out of business for what is in effect a couple of hours work for Raheem Stirling etc is just wrong though.

This kind of rhetoric is pointless and annoying. Why should Raheem Stirling pay to keep another club afloat? He's not a charity, regardless of the amount.

We need to stop blaming rich clubs and players for the demise of a poorly ran club

Don't think anybody is saying Sterling should provide North Ferriby with the money, they are saying that football is clearly broken when a team can go bust for such a small sum in the grand scheme of things.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Bury FC Courtcase

Postby 88BenM » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:21 am

They'll finish the season. Far from out of the woods though.
88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Bury FC Courtcase

Postby 88BenM » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:22 am

88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby 88BenM » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:23 am

88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby 88BenM » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:24 am

88BenM
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:05 am

Quite right Hjeldefan.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:11 am

It's also a lot more cut-throat the further you go down though.

What for instance if North Ferriby were owed (hypothetically) money from another club for a player? money from other investments they've made etc?

Whereas arguments could be made for and against this - £7,000 wouldn't wind Manchester City up anymore than it would Mansfield Town - but it would them - when sometimes it might not actually be their fault.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:38 am

Spending next years money on this years bills doesn’t sound like a good long term strategy
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:43 am

The tax bill is one weeks wages for many footballers.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:48 am

yorkstag wrote:Spending next years money on this years bills doesn’t sound like a good long term strategy

No it doesn't does it. If they survive then next year looks as though it'll be a season of austerity for them and they should struggle big time. Players like Major, Maynard, Telford etc to be replaced with players with bargain basement hand me downs.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:51 am

mousemousemouse wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:

I think (as mentioned) the comment is more about the financial disparity in the leagues, me owd triple rodent ;)

And, imo, the chasm is so big it makes the Grand Canyon seem like a pavement crack. Big teams hoover up players like Daniella Westbrooke's nose on a night out, without paying a fair prices, which ultimately crocks the club further down
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:15 pm

Play off final on 25th.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:21 pm

Could do with them getting promotion this year then, write off this years debts and have to cut costs next season and hopefully struggle.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:51 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:55 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

I don’t think it will get to that stage personally but what ramifications would there be if they didn’t fulfil their fixture on Saturday?
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:58 pm

3-0 defeat and a hefty fine?
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:17 pm

If Bury got a points deduction I’d be more than selfishly happy.

Clear daylight between us and the 4th and 5th places teams.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:19 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

Would anyone else work for free? I know players and football is a different sphere of life to what the fans inhabit ie the real world but players need to be paid also.

I wonder what those who have supported industrial action of their own in the past are thinking?
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:20 pm

As I've mentioned before, when this sort of thing happens with wages doesn't the PFA step in to cover it in the immediate term?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:23 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

Would anyone else work for free? I know players and football is a different sphere of life to what the fans inhabit ie the real world but players need to be paid also.

I wonder what those who have supported industrial action of their own in the past are thinking?

I think the MK Dons players should go on strike with the Bury players in a show of solidarity.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:32 pm

Spiritater wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

I think the MK Dons players should go on strike with the Bury players in a show of solidarity.

Yes and our players just carry on. :D :D :D There is a chant there somewhere for Sheep and Miller fans :D :D :D
The One
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum