{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Bury FC Courtcase

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Bury FC Courtcase

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:07 pm

I suppose the question now begs; should we try to sign Stephen Dawson?
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby jr senior » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:08 pm

Goodbye Bury.

Steve Dale has led the fans/supporters and EFL a merry chase 'uphill and down dale' (pun intended) for months but its time for the final reckoning.

I really can't see how the EFL can stomach any more ridicule!!!
jr senior
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:11 pm

They've just walked out of the "last chance saloon", empty handed.

The EFL will have no alternative now. They will be thrown out the league.

It's sad for the supporters and those workers who will be now out of work. I feel for them. As for the owners who have overseen this demise, I feel nothing.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:19 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Best thing for the game is to get rid of them. Loads of teams have started again. AFC Wimbledon did... Look how well they're run now.

I agree both should now be removed from the FL, assuming nothing crazy happens this afternoon.

Just on the AFC Wimbledon, that was very different. They started a new club from scratch way down the chain, while the club in question renamed itself and moved, so not really the same. There are other examples of teams that went 'bust' and have started to work there way back up.

Sad for the fans of both clubs, but part of me also thinks fans should do more and take more action to ensure their clubs are being run correctly or sold to legitimate people.

As i said in another post, the sooner the FA / EFL do something to stop this from keep happening, the better. It can't be right that people can take on clubs with huge debts and not show any means to clear them or run the club. It can't also be right that owners can use football clubs as a way to move money around and avoid tax. If you want to bankroll a club, do it properly via sponsorship or gifting the money.

The future for EFL clubs without a wealthy owner is surely fans ownership. Its a shame that isn't possible in these cases.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:27 pm

I can't see bury in its current guise continuing.

They will start from scratch, just like AFC Wimbledon, Darlington 1883, Maidstone United and Scarborough Athletic.

All of which are reincarnations.
Last edited by arsene wengers coat on Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:29 pm

Jamie wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:Best thing for the game is to get rid of them. Loads of teams have started again. AFC Wimbledon did... Look how well they're run now.

I agree both should now be removed from the FL, assuming nothing crazy happens this afternoon.

Just on the AFC Wimbledon, that was very different. They started a new club from scratch way down the chain, while the club in question renamed itself and moved, so not really the same. There are other examples of teams that went 'bust' and have started to work there way back up.

Sad for the fans of both clubs, but part of me also thinks fans should do more and take more action to ensure their clubs are being run correctly or sold to legitimate people.

As i said in another post, the sooner the FA / EFL do something to stop this from keep happening, the better. It can't be right that people can take on clubs with huge debts and not show any means to clear them or run the club. It can't also be right that owners can use football clubs as a way to move money around and avoid tax. If you want to bankroll a club, do it properly via sponsorship or gifting the money.

The future for EFL clubs without a wealthy owner is surely fans ownership. Its a shame that isn't possible in these cases.

Hindsight is a good thing Jamie.

Did our fans know what was going to happen when our club was sold to Mr Haslam?

Fans have very little influence on who the club they support is sold to.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:34 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Not surprisingly, the interested party won't sign an agreement when they don't know what they're signing for...

Omni-shambles.

As harsh as it is, this limbo makes the EFL look totally dysfunctional and inept.

Either eject them both, or release a statement saying they're going to sort them out. This limbo is really bad for the game. I understand that if the EFL do help sort out bury and Bolton they set a very dangerous precedent for other clubs and owners who play by the rules who may now look to push the boat out knowing there is no punishment for not playing by the rules.

Best thing for the game is to get rid of them. Loads of teams have started again. AFC Wimbledon did... Look how well they're run now.

Agreed- the best thing to happen would be a shake-up of the EFL - not fit for purpose
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:37 pm

Andy, i agree its easy to say stuff with hindsight, but the EFL / FA have seen this happen time and time again and do nothing to really stop it from happening. Football clubs aren't just like any normal business, they are the heart of towns / citys and play a big part in local communities and economies, they need protecting better than they are now.

I really can't be arsed with a long Haslam argument again, but i will say that was different... He profited from our club, and during hard times we did have a period where players weren't paid for a while but that was cleared up. He didn't rack up massive debts or run the club beyond its means, he didn't cripple the club financially (although his questionable actions started to lead to that when fans withdrew support / money), he was just a money grabber who held us back through his own greed. The situation with the other clubs here is very different, they've spent money they didn't have, borrowed beyond there means and have no right to continue unless someone comes in with a big cheque to save them.

Fans should have that power where a sale is concerned. The FA / EFL should get fans to ratify a sale or at least the ability to raise objections. Fans often know more about certain people who want to be involved and if there were enough objections that could at least trigger a far deeper check than the normal one. There is loads of stuff they could do to help keep clubs safe from idiots like those mentioned, but they seemingly do naff all.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:47 pm

Jamie wrote:Andy, i agree its easy to say stuff with hindsight, but the EFL / FA have seen this happen time and time again and do nothing to really stop it from happening. Football clubs aren't just like any normal business, they are the heart of towns / citys and play a big part in local communities and economies, they need protecting better than they are now.

I really can't be arsed with a long Haslam argument again, but i will say that was different... He profited from our club, and during hard times we did have a period where players weren't paid for a while but that was cleared up. He didn't rack up massive debts or run the club beyond its means, he didn't cripple the club financially (although his questionable actions started to lead to that when fans withdrew support / money), he was just a money grabber who held us back through his own greed. The situation with the other clubs here is very different, they've spent money they didn't have, borrowed beyond there means and have no right to continue unless someone comes in with a big cheque to save them.

Fans should have that power where a sale is concerned. The FA / EFL should get fans to ratify a sale or at least the ability to raise objections. Fans often know more about certain people who want to be involved and if there were enough objections that could at least trigger a far deeper check than the normal one. There is loads of stuff they could do to help keep clubs safe from idiots like those mentioned, but they seemingly do naff all.

We were very near to folding Jamie. Locked out of our ground, a manager who was forced to sell players, had replacements lined up, but was then told he couldn't sign them. I agree it's water under the bridge now and thankfully, thanks to the fans, the 3 Amigos and the Radfords we survived. We could have quite easily gone under.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Old timer » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:48 pm

Fans are happy to welcome free cash from whoever in order to fulfill their dreams or get them out of the brown stuff even if they have never heard of the person who's funding it or the person/company isn't even from the same country never mind the local area. The EFL are usually happy to rubber stamp it. They then celebrate the promotions like we all would but there is always the risk that it's coming back to bite them on the arris.

At least Hardy was a local guy even though it appears he was terrible at running a football club. Only time will tell what Counteh have let themselves in for long term. Their new owners just wanted to own a 'football club', any football club.
Old timer
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby wayno cordiniho » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:55 pm

Isn’t the EFL a membership organisation of club owners essentially? Can’t see why everyone is blaming them, the owners will looks after the owners interests surely... as for Bury enough is enough, should never have started the season with that hanging over them.
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:55 pm

Bury have 5 mins left haven’t they got a 5 o’clock dead line ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:57 pm

Source: BBC Sport

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49486208

Bury takeover: C&N Sporting Risk 'unable to proceed' with bid for League One club

Bury are facing expulsion from the English Football League after the company attempting to buy the club, C&N Sporting Risk, said it was unable to proceed with its takeover.

The League One Shakers had been given until 17:00 BST on Tuesday to complete the deal.

Bury would become the first team to drop out of the EFL since Maidstone's liquidation in 1992.

The EFL said it "continues to be in discussions" ahead of the deadline.

"The league announced at the weekend that it was working exclusively with the club and C&N in an attempt to finalise a change of control at the club," the governing body said in a statement.

"However, following a period of due diligence, C&N have opted not to progress matters.

"The league continues to be in discussions with Bury FC in advance of today's 5pm deadline and will provide a further update as appropriate."

The EFL suspended each of Bury's first six fixtures this season, requesting evidence that the Shakers could pay off creditors and had the funding to make it through the entire campaign.

They were initially given until 23:59 BST on Friday to either provide the required information or find a buyer to take them over.

With the third-tier side effectively an hour from being thrown out of the EFL, owner Steve Dale told BBC Radio Manchester he had sold the club and they were set to survive.

That news subsequently secured them an extension until Tuesday to complete the deal, although C&N Sporting Risk expressed concern that it was still not enough time.

An estimated 300 volunteers turned up at the club's Gigg Lane home on Tuesday to help get the ground ready for Saturday's scheduled game against Doncaster Rovers, but their efforts could prove to be in vain.

Bury have since issued a warning on their website asking fans not to enter the stadium "unless authorised" at what is a "difficult and emotional time for all supporters".
Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Old timer » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:59 pm

Phil Neville makes me angry too. He and his fellow Prem and ex Prem players are happy to take £millions for themselves out of the game but when Bury go to the wall he's one of the first to say what a terrible situation it is. Maybe if the top footballers weren't so greedy on the obscene amount of money they want to do their job then that greed wouldn't have trickled down to the lower leagues and helped to make clubs unsubstainable.
Old timer
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:10 pm

Old timer wrote:Phil Neville makes me angry too. He and his fellow Prem and ex Prem players are happy to take £millions for themselves out of the game but when Bury go to the wall he's one of the first to say what a terrible situation it is. Maybe if the top footballers weren't so greedy on the obscene amount of money they want to do their job then that greed wouldn't have trickled down to the lower leagues and helped to make clubs unsubstainable.

It's not their fault their were offered good contracts.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:16 pm

Old timer wrote:Phil Neville makes me angry too. He and his fellow Prem and ex Prem players are happy to take £millions for themselves out of the game but when Bury go to the wall he's one of the first to say what a terrible situation it is. Maybe if the top footballers weren't so greedy on the obscene amount of money they want to do their job then that greed wouldn't have trickled down to the lower leagues and helped to make clubs unsubstainable.

High paid people aren’t bloody charities you know. So he should sink in millions of his own money, into an extremely bad business just to save it?

Likewise, it’s not his fault the money is on offer. If you’re good enough, you get paid well enough. Clubs have been going to the wall for years, look at Newport.
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Aspleystag » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:24 pm

The moral of this story is when you have a good chairman look after them and do not drive them out because you never know who will follow.
Aspleystag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Old timer » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:36 pm

I never said rich footballers like Neville should bail out loss making clubs. I agree, why should they? I'm saying they are part of the problem so I find it ironic when they come out like him and say what a terrible situation it is. I wonder who he blames?
Old timer
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Conker » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:40 pm

I’m not saying he’s safe from criticism but thank god for JR.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:45 pm

All this stems from the 1986 finance act that Maggie brought in which enabled spivs to run up debts at Limited Companies move assets to other companies and liquidate the original company. Then just walk away with their gains.

All in the name of business.

All football clubs are Limited Companies and the EFL is just a collection of owners running a competition to make money for their businesses.

It just needs some moral owners to take charge and bring discipline to the organisation and create rules that eliminate the spivs.

The problem is there enough of the 72 to make a difference and vote in strict rules to prevent the spivs access to the gravy train.

If not it means that the majority are spivs themselves and don't want the strict rules.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:53 pm

Have they gone bust yet ?
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:00 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:I suppose the question now begs; should we try to sign Stephen Dawson?

last thing we need is a midget in midfield!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:18 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:

It's not their fault their were offered good contracts.

We have one midfield pensioner already and his name is Neal Bishop, thank you kindly.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby WVStag » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:19 pm

Such a weird thing to say. Bore off.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:26 pm

What happens to the promotion/relegation system if both clubs go bust? It will obviously affect Lge1, Lge 2 and Conference, but how?
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum