{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Play off thread

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Play off thread

Postby diablo » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:01 pm

Seven games to go and we need 8 points minimum to finish in seventh place. Current form based on the last eight games is Won 2 Drawn 2 lost 4 goals for 8 goals against 9. It will be close. Anything less than 8 points and we will probably finish 8th same as last season.
diablo
First Team
First Team

Re: Play offs if we can maintain our current form

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:04 pm

If we maintain our current form (as in today's game) we won't get another point.

Totally inept and uninspiring performance. Tacticts all wrong and very close to hoof ball.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

100% Play Offs

Postby Field Mill » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:26 pm

You can say all you like about plenty of points to play for, twists and turns and who has the hardest run in. It's the play offs. The team are not top 3 material. Too few goals, too many draws, too many goalkeeping errors and too many points gifted to the bottom 6. As was shown last year, the bottle is not there either. Sad given the investment but it's hard to find a case for the autos given the form since Christmas.
Field Mill
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: 100% Play Offs

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:31 pm

I would be happy with the play offs with our current form.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:32 pm

Field Mill wrote:You can say all you like about plenty of points to play for, twists and turns and who has the hardest run in. It's the play offs. The team are not top 3 material. Too few goals, too many draws, too many goalkeeping errors and too many points gifted to the bottom 6. As was shown last year, the bottle is not there either. Sad given the investment but it's hard to find a case for the autos given the form since Christmas.
I tend to agree with you. So let's get behind the team and help them get into a rich vein of form so we are in the best shape for the playoffs. A playoff place will be an improvement on last season.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Tre Cool » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:35 pm

Good post, that's our season in a nutshell. I'll add that whilst we've been unfortunate with injuries, particularly to White, Davies (looked decent back in August) and Bobby, the replacements haven't been good enough. The desperate signings in January unbalanced the side. (and why send Elsnik back to Derby?)

The worst performance since our 4-1 defeat to Crewe around this time last season and that was the start a capulation. I'd like to think we have enough in the tank this time to remain in the play offs, but even then, our form heading into May doesn't look promising.
Tre Cool
First Team
First Team

Postby spstag » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:11 pm

But the point is,
If we are in the play offs we’ll be the team in worst form and the team hoping to find form,
Others I dare say will be stronger and up for it,
Our heads are dropping now so god knows how we’ll be if we only made the play offs.
spstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:42 pm

The points dropped at the likes of Crawley Yeovil County and P Vale etc will be our undoing.
These teams have been brushed aside very easily since...
We don't seem to be able to roll out sleeves up and dig in when it's not going our way.

Wouldn't fancy us to beat any team in league 2 over 2 legs at the minute.

Worrying times.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:44 pm

The teams form at the moment is very worrying.

However we all know how quick things can change in this league.

Strap in and enjoy the ride fellas.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:45 pm

Tre Cool wrote:Good post, that's our season in a nutshell. I'll add that whilst we've been unfortunate with injuries, particularly to White, Davies (looked decent back in August) and Bobby, the replacements haven't been good enough. The desperate signings in January unbalanced the side. (and why send Elsnik back to Derby?)

The worst performance since our 4-1 defeat to Crewe around this time last season and that was the start a capulation. I'd like to think we have enough in the tank this time to remain in the play offs, but even then, our form heading into May doesn't look promising.
Weird how alot of our fans think we lost 4-1 to Crewe last season. I heard this score quoted several times today.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:48 pm

ST4GS wrote:
Tre Cool wrote:Good post, that's our season in a nutshell. I'll add that whilst we've been unfortunate with injuries, particularly to White, Davies (looked decent back in August) and Bobby, the replacements haven't been good enough. The desperate signings in January unbalanced the side. (and why send Elsnik back to Derby?)

Weird how alot of our fans think we lost 4-1 to Crewe last season. I heard this score quoted several times today.

Perhaps they went home at 4-1 down
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:56 pm

Incredible how we’ve gone from being well clear of 4th with a game in hand to this. The last month has been pitiful. We have to get behind the boys more than ever now, and hopefully we will have enough to get 3rd place. If not we can still do it via the play offs. COYS
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:02 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:Incredible how we’ve gone from being well clear of 4th with a game in hand to this. The last month has been pitiful. We have to get behind the boys more than ever now, and hopefully we will have enough to get 3rd place. If not we can still do it via the play offs. COYS

As mentioned elsewhere given the capitulation under flitcroft last season (though only half his fault) you’d have thought he would be aware to the warning signs.

He’s now had a year and the same is happening. It’s not good enough.

Rubbish to those who say we’re ungreatful to be 4th - I’m delighted to see the club on an upward curve, but given his budget is a promotion budget he should produce this.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tre Cool » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:07 pm

ST4GS wrote:

Apologies, you're right. I guess it was just the manner that we went down so easily in the first half stuck in my mind, that was a game to forget. Clearly I forgot about the 2nd half. :lol:
Tre Cool
First Team
First Team

Play offs

Postby Trenam » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:43 pm

The form suggests the play offs,there seems to be no punch up front, after the 7-0 win at Huddersfield, should we look to a few youngsters up front,7games to get experience, at the moment the men up front don’t seem to have it. :coys:
Trenam
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:55 pm

spstag wrote:But the point is,
If we are in the play offs we’ll be the team in worst form and the team hoping to find form,
Our heads are dropping now so god knows how we’ll be if we only made the play offs.

Not if we go on another unbeaten run. There is still time to build up a head of steam ready to do well in the playoffs. Keep the faith, be positive and get behind the manager and his team.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:01 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
spstag wrote:But the point is,

Not if we go on another unbeaten run. There is still time to build up a head of steam ready to do well in the playoffs. Keep the faith, be positive and get behind the manager and his team.

I respect your optimism :lol: but after last season, and the way we are currently playing. Not a prayer will we be going up this year.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby SidneyOttewell » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:31 pm

Well, it's not looking good and I think automatic promotion is unlikely, but with the following fixtures still to be played, it could still happen...plenty of points to be won and lost:-
Exeter v Mansfield
FGR v MKD
Tranmere v Carlisle
Carlisle v Bury
MKD v Lincoln
Bury v Colchester
Tranmere v MKD
Tranmere v FGR
Lincoln v Tranmere
Colchester v MKD
Tranmere v Bury
MKD V Mansfield
SidneyOttewell
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby ST4GS » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:53 pm

Tre Cool wrote:
ST4GS wrote:

Apologies, you're right. I guess it was just the manner that we went down so easily in the first half stuck in my mind, that was a game to forget. Clearly I forgot about the 2nd half. :lol:
No need to apologise. I would have put 100 quid on a bet that we lost 4-1 last season. Uncanny that so many others thought the same. I checked my app this morning to discover we lost 4-3. How can so many be wrong about one particular game when we can quote other results parrot fashion.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:10 pm

2 out of 12 points is relegation form!!
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:20 am

adamstag wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:Incredible how we’ve gone from being well clear of 4th with a game in hand to this. The last month has been pitiful. We have to get behind the boys more than ever now, and hopefully we will have enough to get 3rd place. If not we can still do it via the play offs. COYS

As mentioned elsewhere given the capitulation under flitcroft last season (though only half his fault) you’d have thought he would be aware to the warning signs.

Rubbish to those who say we’re ungreatful to be 4th - I’m delighted to see the club on an upward curve, but given his budget is a promotion budget he should produce this.

You truly are unbelievable.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:46 am

I don’t think we will get relegated
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:20 am

It’s play offs now for me as we have chosen a bad time for the form to go and with today’s performance we are only likely to see Wembley when England’s next game is on
The Notts County and Port vale games set the tone and we have not really been at the races
There is little chance of anything at Exeter so might be worth changing some personnel
I think the lack of decent striker is going to cost us again
Walker been ok and Ajose has been poor and with Rose out there is no option
Feel sorry for JR he is going to have to wait another year but if he is going to spend find a decent striker first and by the way Flitcroft will be there again next season
We might not even get Notts County next season to boost things up a bit
Tranmere may well get third as that’s the way to come up on the outside
What a flop typical Stags giant steps forward with ground and everything going well and then the inevitable steps back
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:26 am

Think it will be Tranmere 3 rd and we will probably play Carlilse or the Dons no way we will beat ether over 2 legs in current form and can’t see in 8 games much will change
JR is the one. I feel for lost out again after splashing the hard earned
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:28 am

Rob wrote:
adamstag wrote:

You truly are unbelievable.

What has he said that is wrong?
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum