{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Smith or Logan?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Smith or Logan?

Postby oldweststander » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:54 pm

Smith for me, Logan makes the back three nervous.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:47 pm

Not a lot in it for me as both have their issues. If you asked me if I wanted either for the team next year, I would have to say no.

Whoever he chooses should get the nod until the end of the season as what we do need is consistency and constantly swapping the keeper won't give that.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:27 pm

Even though Ive supported Stags for 50 years I only came back at the start of last season so dont have the depth of supporting that many of you do.....but from Day 1 of watching Logan in goal he has never inspired any confidence, he doesnt command his area or read situations and the back three have no confidence in him this season or last.

I am starting to believe that losing Bobby may be the difference between staying in League 2 or hopefully still going up someway somehow.

Smith for me every time.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:36 pm

Bros wrote:I wonder if he brought Logan back for the experience he has when we had the makeshift defence for a few games. Now the 3 Musketeers are back he can put Smith back in as he is more adventurous with his distribution and commanding the box

I think there may be something in that.

It will be interesting to see who plays on Saturday.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:40 pm

Their are better keepers in league 2 which I think answers the question without a definitive answer..
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:58 pm

Logan isn't as bad as people make out. I think he is actually quite good bit gets made a scapegoat. He does have his scary moments, and I think Lincoln he was involved in 3.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:10 pm

Smith is better than Logan.

I don't recall Smith doing anything wrong.

Logan makes me (and his defence) nervous - and he makes too many costly errors.

I can't understand why DF dropped Smith. If we persist with Logan for these crucial last games I think it will be very costly.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:39 pm

Vice President wrote:Smith is better than Logan.

I can't understand why DF dropped Smith. If we persist with Logan for these crucial last games I think it will be very costly.

Rumour has it they’ve fallen out
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:07 am

Smith. Logan is a good shot stopper but he frightens the life out of me at times. When he dropped the ball following a simple cross against Lincoln it should've led to a goal if their striker was switched on. Thankfully he wasn't.

He makes too many mistakes I'm afraid. I prefer Bobby out of the 3 keepers we have.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:57 pm

adamstag wrote:

So why doesn't he go back to Forest.

Just for the record Smith's kicking is woeful and he made a mistake at Port vale, there will be others too but forgotten about as his isn't on a naughty list, meaning every mistake Logan makes will be logged, analysed in detailed and talked about forever.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:08 pm

pemill wrote:
adamstag wrote:

So why doesn't he go back to Forest.

Just for the record Smith's kicking is woeful and he made a mistake at Port vale, there will be others too but forgotten about as his isn't on a naughty list, meaning every mistake Logan makes will be logged, analysed in detailed and talked about forever.

Spot on - these fallen out rumours crack me
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:20 pm

I will support either of them as they can both do a good job for us.

Jordan Smith P11 W6 D1 L4
Conrad Logan P10 W4 D5 L1

If Conrad leaves the Stags then it would not surprise me if Lincoln signed him. His kicking would suit them down to the ground.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:44 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I will support either of them as they can both do a good job for us.

If Conrad leaves the Stags then it would not surprise me if Lincoln signed him. His kicking would suit them down to the ground.

How many of Jordan's games have been with the settled 3 of Sweeney, Pearce & Preston compared with Logan?
James
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:49 pm

James wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I will support either of them as they can both do a good job for us.

How many of Jordan's games have been with the settled 3 of Sweeney, Pearce & Preston compared with Logan?

5 out of 11. 5 out of 10 for Logan (2 before Sweeney joined).

The stats are misleading anyway, as they don't show how the GK's actually contributed in those games.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:28 pm

Smith will be back in goal tomorrow.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:28 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
James wrote:

The stats are misleading anyway, as they don't show how the GK's actually contributed in those games.

Oh Yes, the stats are misleading quote because they don't show what you want to see - classic. I guess if those stats were the other way round you'd be slating Logan on the basis we've lost 4 games while he's been in goal. Need a revamp of the stats to show only games where we have lost with CL in goal, that should suit the argument.

Here's a stat for you, we've only lost 6 in the league all season, 4 of those with Smith in goal :shock:
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:34 pm

Foresttownstag wrote:Smith will be back in goal tomorrow.

Has he recovered from his knee injury?
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:53 pm

pemill wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
James wrote:

Oh Yes, the stats are misleading quote because they don't show what you want to see - classic. I guess if those stats were the other way round you'd be slating Logan on the basis we've lost 4 games while he's been in goal. Need a revamp of the stats to show only games where we have lost with CL in goal, that should suit the argument.

Here's a stat for you, we've only lost 6 in the league all season, 4 of those with Smith in goal :shock:

What are you talking about Pemill? Add the points up, who has gained more? The stats who exactly what I want them to show, as do my eyes.

See also the rest of the thread, where not one person, including yourself, has picked Logan over Smith.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:06 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
pemill wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
James wrote:

What are you talking about Pemill? Add the points up, who has gained more? The stats who exactly what I want them to show, as do my eyes.

See also the rest of the thread, where not one person, including yourself, has picked Logan over Smith.

Yes maybe so but I haven't picked Smith outright, for me he hasn't pulled up any trees or been spectacular, nothing tbh which makes him stand out as a much better keeper than Logan.
Logan is being made a scapegoat for a draw against the league leaders who are 15 games unbeaten, really :shock:
I don't see Mal getting much stick for not dealing with it, at the very least shielding the ball if the keeper is coming for it, I've gone as far to say Mal wasn't even aware the Lincoln player was even near him. Was it really a penalty, no it wasn't, no intent, the Lincoln had played the ball and was going to ground anyway, Logan's momentum ended up in an accidental collision, had Mal stopped the Lincoln player getting a touch they'd be nothing to talk about.

So this thread bangs on about Logan having a mistake in him but that's two games now where Mal Benning has had mistakes in him which have led to goals, Port Vale being the other one.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby robbingdog » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:30 am

No penalty? Wow
robbingdog
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:39 am

No penalty :lol: says it all really. Logan nearly broke the lads leg.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:13 am

Not Benning's fault. Logan should have been there first so why would Benning give away unnecessary corners/own goals?

That said, lim still not sure who is better and would probably stick with Logan for consistency as swapping constantly is not a good thing. I haven't seen anything in Smith to inspire me either.

Settled teams win, constant tinkering breaks up rhythm
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:21 am

Benning had successfully shielded the ball & it would have run though to the keeper or out for a goalkick. It wasn't his fault numbnuts charged out and clattered the Lincoln player. It was as nailed on a penalty as you'll ever see.

Ironically Smith seems to have paid the price for some diabolical defending that cost goals he had no chance of stopping, incuding a monumental screw up by Mal Benning.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:08 pm

Mal might screw up every now and then but my word what an exciting left back to watch at this level. There can’t be a better LB in league 2. I would rather watch him than some dullard who only thinks about defending. The penalty was all Logan’s fault. An extraordinary mistake which could cost us again.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:52 pm

Should Jordan Smith have saved Callum Ainley's shot for the first goal?

It was a weak tackle by Ryan Sweeney and arguably Matt Preston or Krystian Pearce should also have got a block in.

Jordan Smith's kicking was also very poor again today. Conrad Logan is a much better kicker.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum