{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:27 am

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:41 am

Nice brief report Martin.

Would argue against Crewe being in good form though. 19th in form table over last 6, 15th over last 8. Would be in the relegation zone on away form alone, only two wins away all season. Beat Crawley 6-1, but Crawley are the worst away team in the league and Crewe a play-off team on home form.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:44 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Nice brief report Martin.

Would argue against Crewe being in good form though. 19th in form table over last 6, 15th over last 8. Would be in the relegation zone on away form alone, only two wins away all season. Beat Crawley 6-1, but Crawley are the worst away team in the league and Crewe a play-off team on home form.

Well we’ll know by quarter to five on Saturday!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:44 am

thanks

ok point taken. What about over the last 1 ? :lol:

edit - I have reworded it
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:47 am

Martin Shaw wrote:

thanks

ok point taken. What about over the last 1 ? :lol:

edit - I have reworded it

Haha, reword to 'good result last time out' :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:11 pm

Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:25 am

my detailed report now on
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:47 am

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:05 am

I thought the back three and Bishop were excellent, all at least an 8. I absolutely cannot agree at all that Grant was anywhere near a 7, he was poor and was quite rightly subbed - there were plenty of people around me who totally agreed with the decision to sub him and frankly it is absurd you think he did not dive, he so clearly did, it was noticeable firstly the lack of appeals and secondly his reaction to being booked. We don't like opposition players cheating, we shouldn't accept our own cheating either. Indeed, he has been poor recently and I would not play him on Saturday.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:13 am

Rob wrote:I thought the back three and Bishop were excellent, all at least an 8. I absolutely cannot agree at all that Grant was anywhere near a 7, he was poor and was quite rightly subbed - there were plenty of people around me who totally agreed with the decision to sub him and frankly it is absurd you think he did not dive, he so clearly did, it was noticeable firstly the lack of appeals and secondly his reaction to being booked. We don't like opposition players cheating, we shouldn't accept our own cheating either. Indeed, he has been poor recently and I would not play him on Saturday.

I've explained in detail why I gave Grant a 7, I won't simply repeat it. What happened after he went off?

There was clear contact on Grant's boot. Many refs would have given that.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:30 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
Rob wrote:I thought the back three and Bishop were excellent, all at least an 8. I absolutely cannot agree at all that Grant was anywhere near a 7, he was poor and was quite rightly subbed - there were plenty of people around me who totally agreed with the decision to sub him and frankly it is absurd you think he did not dive, he so clearly did, it was noticeable firstly the lack of appeals and secondly his reaction to being booked. We don't like opposition players cheating, we shouldn't accept our own cheating either. Indeed, he has been poor recently and I would not play him on Saturday.

I've explained in detail why I gave Grant a 7, I won't simply repeat it. What happened after he went off?

There was clear contact on Grant's boot. Many refs would have given that.

Only a poor ref would ever give that Martin, it was a clear dive and a yellow card. After Grant went off we were much more competitive in midfield and MacDonald did well (though personally I think I would have replaced Grant with Tomlinson), only a very poor piece of keeping cost us the win as that apart, Lincoln barely looked like scoring. Grant gave the ball away so many times, often in dangerous areas, his flicks and tricks just didn't work. We had completely lost the midfield in the opening 15 minutes of the 2nd half, Flitcroft's change was a terrific piece of management, unfortunately his choice of Logan ahead of Smith wasn't. I think Grant is a terrific footballer, but has had a few poor games.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:34 am

For me you have to look at everything we did create Grant was involved in, When he went off we never looked like scoring, we were afraid to get on the ball (Flitcrofts words) and we spent 20 mins hitting it long to Walker as a result.

We need players who are willing to get on the ball and try different things to break teams down, especially for our upcoming home games vs Morcambe/Cambridge.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:47 am

lifestags wrote:For me you have to look at everything we did create Grant was involved in, When he went off we never looked like scoring, we were afraid to get on the ball (Flitcrofts words) and we spent 20 mins hitting it long to Walker as a result.

We need players who are willing to get on the ball and try different things to break teams down, especially for our upcoming home games vs Morcambe/Cambridge.

I think the other issue is also where he played, as others have said he is not a central midfielder and we were clearly being outplayed in that area of the field early in the 2nd half. So whilst we created very little in the second half, nor did they apart from the howler from Logan. We had almost 60% possession and Lincoln only had 4 shots on target (most of them pretty lame). So even in the period where they did dominate, it was in front of our back 3 and they created nothing.

I don't think we can play a back 3 and wing-backs and also play Walker, CJ and Grant - it just leaves us too short in the centre of the park and certainly against the good sides they will exploit that area. Of those three I think Grant has been the least effective recently so would leave him out on Sat and play Tomlinson or Macca alongside Mellis and Bishop.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:56 am

Rob wrote:
lifestags wrote:For me you have to look at everything we did create Grant was involved in, When he went off we never looked like scoring, we were afraid to get on the ball (Flitcrofts words) and we spent 20 mins hitting it long to Walker as a result.

I think the other issue is also where he played, as others have said he is not a central midfielder and we were clearly being outplayed in that area of the field early in the 2nd half. So whilst we created very little in the second half, nor did they apart from the howler from Logan. We had almost 60% possession and Lincoln only had 4 shots on target (most of them pretty lame). So even in the period where they did dominate, it was in front of our back 3 and they created nothing.

I don't think we can play a back 3 and wing-backs and also play Walker, CJ and Grant - it just leaves us too short in the centre of the park and certainly against the good sides they will exploit that area. Of those three I think Grant has been the least effective recently so would leave him out on Sat and play Tomlinson or Macca alongside Mellis and Bishop.

You watch the same game as me Rob.
What hasn't been mentioned is that Flitcroft immediately told Macca to get ready as Grant neshed another tackle, he'd simply had enough of him
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:54 am

Grant is a luxury player no doubt. But as a few have said, we created nothing without him. I would rather drop the anonymous Mellis than Grant.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:00 pm

Watched the game back and VAR would have vindicated Grant. There was contact and although he made a meal of it, it was a clear penalty.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Sweden Stag » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:13 pm

Grant was on a yellow as well
Stockholm, July 4, 2008, 15.00 GMT. Good news came, K.H. gone. March 1, 2012. Ground purchased.
Sweden Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Bradders » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:47 am

Rob wrote:Only a poor ref would ever give that Martin, it was a clear dive and a yellow card.

Obviously Grant was tripped in the penalty area, but I'm not clear on the rules. I think that you're saying that if a player is deemed to have overplayed the consequences of a foul then the offence should be ignored and a free kick given to the perpetrator's side. No wonder players get confused!
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:57 am

Bradders wrote:
Rob wrote:Only a poor ref would ever give that Martin, it was a clear dive and a yellow card.

Obviously Grant was tripped in the penalty area, but I'm not clear on the rules. I think that you're saying that if a player is deemed to have overplayed the consequences of a foul then the offence should be ignored and a free kick given to the perpetrator's side. No wonder players get confused!

In my view having seen it over and over again the minimal contact was initiated by Grant in his attempt to win a penalty. However, I think the point you make is a valid one, if a player does a swallow dive after the slightest contact, I would say in this current era of blatant cheats, you are less likely to be given it than you would have been 10 years ago. So whilst sometimes there might technically be a foul, by trying to make it look more blatant by diving risks the ref, who only gets one view, thinking you have dived.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum